• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear -Strive- Starter Guide Videos (Sol Badguy, Ky Kiske and more to follow soon)

Manji Uzuki

Got a code for the beta, looking forward to try it out this weekend! By those videos looks like there are some significant changes on the movesets. Also seems that we are going to have incomplete characters for the beta, things like Sol missing the Dragon Install super.

From what I understand you had to sign-up for the closed beta last month and then wait to be emailed the invite.

Added Chipp and Potemkin videos in my previous post.

Last edited:

Fake

From what I understand you had to sign-up for the closed beta last month and then wait to be emailed the invite.

Added Chipp and Potemkin videos in my previous post.
Hard to get in. The site is not even english. Well, no other way until release so.

Nymphae

Banned
What the fuck is going on with the moving character icons below the lifebars? Still not a fan of the UI at all, but the game looks fun.

With all these starter guide videos coming out I'm really looking forward to them finally showing us the new samurai dude.
We probably won't see him until they release a story trailer but I am curious how he will end up playing like compared to Baiken.

Although I would like to see starter guide videos for Millia Rage and Zato-1, it seems unlikely for now, as there's only one more scheduled to drop later tonight for the character Faust.

For those playing the closed beta this week, feel free to share your thoughts, what you like or dislike about it.

Not much of my style of game (due to sound design and animation type), but I've always loved Faust as a character. His new command grab is...pretty interesting. Reminds me of the way Gill can extend his combos via Retribution in SFV, though they are obviously different. It's also silly in the best way possible.

Played some matches Vs COM this morning (network still not accessible).

Although it looks very different, pulling off moves feel the same, including the timings. I shook off a bit of rust and was doing Hammerfall cancels -> Potbusters within a few minutes. The dramatic and generous hit-pauses (especially counters) make it feel a biiiiit slower, but maybe that's just my perception (frame by frame, it could be just as quick). Matches do feel snappy overall and don't feel like they're dragging out.

As an aside, I'm gonna miss Faust's zany catchphrases. Looks like he's gone feral.

Graphics on the character select look really low-res and... not good. I miss the character portaits/select art. I put in Rev2 in for the first time in about a year and did some back-and-forth comparison. It's a minor complaint, but the selection screen

Aside from this, the graphics in battles are a massive step up. This might be the best-looking fighter of the generation, in my opinion. It's very easy on the eyes. Flashy, well-paced. Battles still feel quick and the flashier graphics meld well with the combat. I sunk at least 1000 hours across the Xrd trilogy.

It feels a tad bit simpler compared to Xrd., but not in an undesirable way. It feels like Samurai Showdown, where a few solid combos will end the match.

The music tracks in the beta are complete garbage. Guilty Gear music with vocals is terrible. Terrible. Ishiwatari wat you doin?

We go from this

to this

then are downgraded to this

Thanks I hate it. I feel this needs a @SLoWMoTIoN anime reaction.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics on the character select look really low-res and... not good. I miss the character portaits/select art. I put in Rev2 in for the first time in about a year and did some back-and-forth comparison. It's a minor complaint, but the selection screen

Aside from this, the graphics in battles are a massive step up. This might be the best-looking fighter of the generation, in my opinion. It's very easy on the eyes. Flashy, well-paced. Battles still feel quick and the flashier graphics meld well with the combat. I sunk at least 1000 hours across the Xrd trilogy.

It feels a tad bit simpler compared to Xrd., but not in an undesirable way. It feels like Samurai Showdown, where a few solid combos will end the match.

The music tracks in the beta are complete garbage. Guilty Gear music with vocals is terrible. Terrible. Ishiwatari wat you doin?

We go from this

to this

then are downgraded to this

Thanks I hate it. I feel this needs a @SLoWMoTIoN anime reaction.

What is this kind of music called again? Generic rock wrestling music that old men that wear affliction shirts listen to? Expect screamo garbage to follow.

What is this kind of music called again? Generic rock wrestling music that old men that wear affliction shirts listen to? Expect screamo garbage to follow.
Stop hurting my feelings.

Oh and they made Potemkin really powerful in this version. His belly-flop knockdown does a decent chunk of damage and hit hits as a Low from across the entire stage. So he can actually chip from afar while coming closer using megafist and hammerfall cancels.

Chipping from long range while approaching for that sweet match-ending Potbuster . :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:
GGXRD_Potemkin_PotemkinBuster2.png
🙏 :lollipop_weary:

Manji Uzuki

First impressions after some matches vs cpu:

• Characters models and animations are super cool
  • The game in general feels different but still guilty gear
  • The UI is very bad in general. They need to remove the moving character icons please
  • The VS screen before combats is bad and performs bad
  • Faust is sick as hell
  • Sol feels much more heavy. I like the changes.
  • Chipp is quite cool also.
  • Dust feels very strange now
  • I feel like attacks do a lot of damage. Rounds go very quick

The game looks really cool. Give me my Baiken please, please!

Fake

First impressions after some matches vs cpu:

• Characters models and animations are super cool
  • The game in general feels different but still guilty gear
  • The UI is very bad in general. They need to remove the moving character icons please
  • The VS screen before combats is bad and performs bad
  • Faust is sick as hell
  • Sol feels much more heavy. I like the changes.
  • Chipp is quite cool also.
  • Dust feels very strange now
  • I feel like attacks do a lot of damage. Rounds go very quick

The game looks really cool. Give me my Baiken please, please!

Can you confirm for me if there is still in place two combats options after select the char? Like GG rev stylish/technical?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
The UI is very bad in general. They need to remove the moving character icons please

Is there any actual benefit provided by this? It makes no sense to me why you'd add unnecessary visual clutter and distraction like that. Some of the UI looks a bit better than the first time it was shown, but it's surprisingly ugly considering what they've made in the past and how good everything else in this game looks.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Correct. They simplified everything and took away moves, so characters like Potemkin can abuse basic oki at any distance and slowly approach. Cheesin' my way against every AI battle (network maintenance, still).
flop,grab,any 3 moves+finger=half a lifebar?

JTCx

Gatlings need to come back. Offense/pressure is very limiting with the way they restricted the gatlings. The game has this weird sfv design philosophy were everything is just counter hits and big damage. Its now stuck trying to be sfv but not.

The UI needs a complete overhaul and the giant combo counter needs to go. Anime fighting games has all kinds of crazy shit visually. We dont need more of that. The ingame graphics look amazing as always but the UI is so goddam amateur. Right now it looks like a mobile game. Its losing its visual identity.

JTCx

How can you say that with a MK avatar? Agreed on the UI though. It is as bad as BB ffs.
Not sure what does my mk avatar has to do with anything. I just like the character not the games. nrs fighting games are hot garbage but i digress.

Whats wrong with blazblue ui? I dont find any fighting game ui as bad as strive. Matter of fact, i think theyre all fine. That combo counter is straight up jarring. Risc gauge is tiny as fuck. Moving portraits with health bar? Wtf?

Manji Uzuki

Can you confirm for me if there is still in place two combats options after select the char? Like GG rev stylish/technical?

No. When you select the character you can just pick the color. No control types like in Xrd. But this is a beta so who knows how it will be in the final game.

Is there any actual benefit provided by this? It makes no sense to me why you'd add unnecessary visual clutter and distraction like that. Some of the UI looks a bit better than the first time it was shown, but it's surprisingly ugly considering what they've made in the past and how good everything else in this game looks.

UI is better than in previous videos but still feels really weird. I don't think the moving icons have any benefit, they just are distracting and almost look like a glitch

Looking forward to play some fights online as the AI of the CPU is super dumb

Fake

No. When you select the character you can just pick the color. No control types like in Xrd. But this is a beta so who knows how it will be in the final game.
Hey thx for the reply. So, is there any auto combo in place? You know, push the same button will give you combos, special moves and super moves automatic.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure what does my mk avatar has to do with anything. I just like the character not the games. nrs fighting games are hot garbage but i digress.

Whats wrong with blazblue ui? I dont find any fighting game ui as bad as strive. Matter of fact, i think theyre all fine. That combo counter is straight up jarring. Risc gauge is tiny as fuck. Moving portraits with health bar? Wtf?
Extend's UI also looked outdated and blurry.

Fake

No auto combos in the beta. I would be surprised if there are none in the final game. So maybe then they add a control option for that. But no worries you will be able to play without those
Man, you've been very helpful. Thx. This game is almost sold for me as a GG rev fan.
Keep playing mate.

Helios

The damage Chipp takes is insane. One wild throw and his hp bar melts. I know that's how it always was because of GUTS but this is ridiculous.

Fight like a Tiger and Smell of the game are absolute bangers. Don't @ me.

Last edited:
The game is crazy promising. They just need to rework the lobbies and implement Rollback for the final build.

Also don't forget to fill the online survey with your feedback! Let's push for Crossplay!

Last edited:

JTCx

The game is crazy promising. They just need to rework the lobbies and implement Rollback for the final build.

Also don't forget to fill the online survey with your feedback! Let's push for Crossplay!
There will be rollback in the final build, confirmed by ArcSys themselves. Zinac, who worked on the netcode for Killer Instinct is with the dev team implementing rollback so thats good news. As for the lobbies, we can only hope for an overhaul but it seems like theyre already too far into it for it to change. There is much work that needs to be done for this game.

Last edited:

Labolas

Yeah not a fan of the lobby. Too messy. I wish there was practice mode for beta as well. I was pretty much 50-50 on my matches. Chipp isn't my main but I can gimmick my way through to some wins. I probably should have gone with May or Sol but I'm a bit more familiar with Chipp.

Yeah, that lobby looks like crap. I definitely agree there should be as little time spent as possible trying to get into a match.

Given all of the great character redesigns so far, I'm curious to see Johnny next. I like using him and Sol.

Top Bottom