• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Is Jam similar to how she normally is on this?
I've not really seen anything of the Xrd games outside of the trailers ,so I'm not sure if they've done a SFV style update of the characters play styles, or if it's the same as always.

Korigama

I've not really seen anything of the Xrd games outside of the trailers ,so I'm not sure if they've done a SFV style update of the characters play styles, or if it's the same as always.
For all of the older GG characters brought back for Xrd, Arc used their #R variants as the base, along with Xrd-specific adjustments. That appears to be accurate for Jam as well (definitely not Accent Core Jam).

They're all relatively close to their XX#R versions.

Throw tech and blitz shield mechanics are changed. Those are probably the biggest changes.

If any balance changes do happen, it will probably be during/after the arcade version update.

Numb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";205305511]So they're charging 60 bucks for a 5 character pack, two of which you have to buy if you get the game a month later?[/QUOTE]

arcsys
you knew what you were getting yourself into
Expect the same in the next version in a year or so

Asd202

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";205305511]So they're charging 60 bucks for a 5 character pack, two of which you have to buy if you get the game a month later?[/QUOTE]

Well there a new story mode. But yeah 60 is a lot if you already got Sign. I'm "okay" with it because I never bought the original.

Eh, I have no interest in the story. I'll probably just skip it. 60 bucks is a lot for so little content and I wasn't impressed with the online system last time around.

Eolz

Reminder that the full story from Sign can also be viewed for free on Arcsys' youtube page.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";205305511]So they're charging 60 bucks for a 5 character pack, two of which you have to buy if you get the game a month later?[/QUOTE]5 characters, system mechanic changes that do affect balance, completely new story mode which is coming out in episodes for some fucking reason, completely redone network and lobby system, new challenges, redone M.O.M.

and removing features sign had like english VA

overall, this is the weakest full release ASW has done, but its not as weak as just 5 characters. At least central fiction is this year.

Slaythe

Lol, bullshit.

It's a little easy to say it's the weakest because Guilty Gear doesn't have the shitty FULL PRICED extend versions.

I'll take Rev format over Blazblue any day.

Lol, bullshit.

It's a little easy to say it's the weakest because Guilty Gear doesn't have the shitty FULL PRICED extend versions.

I'll take Rev format over Blazblue any day.
extend arent full priced, and I said full release, that immediately discounts extend releases. Compare revelator to CS, CP, or CF and its much weaker overall

NEO0MJ

Didn't vanilla CS only come with 3 new characters? Sure there were also 3 more DLC characters, for $8 a pop.

Pompadour

I wish they'd let you just buy the DLC characters instead of having to buy a whole new game to play the latest version. I have no use for all these single player modes and several hours of C-tier anime.

I wish they'd let you just buy the DLC characters instead of having to buy a whole new game to play the latest version. I have no use for all these single player modes and several hours of C-tier anime.
they still wont do that because they also completely revamp network mode. Even something as simple as chrono phantasma extend revamped network mode from chrono phantasma vanilla

NEO0MJ

I wish they would offer an upgrade system instead of forcing us to buy a new game every time. Some of us don't care much for the story fluff and just want new characters, system changes, and improved online. Something like Ultra Street Fighter for example or Killer Instinct's season changes that are shared with all, even if you don't buy a season pass you still get the new system and balance changes.

BadWolf

I wish they would offer an upgrade system instead of forcing us to buy a new game every time. Some of us don't care much for the story fluff and just want new characters, system changes, and improved online. Something like Ultra Street Fighter for example or Killer Instinct's season changes that are shared with all, even if you don't buy a season pass you still get the new system and balance changes.

Would consider getting into their games when they do this.

The current model though? No thanks.

What, none of you like to fire up BB: Calamity Trigger just to see who is still online?

I know that's something I'll do with SIGN some six months from now.

Can't do that with a service model.

Korigama

You don't even have to own the game to download either for free (with one of them being unlockable using currency earned in-game otherwise).

Personally, I have much more of an issue with Arc's model for BB, which has conditioned me to skip every new game before the director's cut equivalent Extend editions come out.

CrazyHal

I'm a bit hesitant on getting this. There will most definitely be a 3rd version of xrd. I mean, their at four Blazblue games now. I think i'll rather wait for the final most definitive version.

I'm a bit hesitant on getting this. There will most definitely be a 3rd version of xrd. I mean, their at four Blazblue games now. I think i'll rather wait for the final most definitive version.
thats an odd comparison though

Blazblue versions arent so easily compared. Continuum shift and chrono phantasma have about as much in common as street fighter 4 and 5 with regards to gameplay.

Revelator is the one weird ASW release where they left most of the characters the same, though they still revamped the system mechanics. Even if there is a Xrd-3, its very likely to be a much different game from revelator. I would be incredibly surprised if they put out 3 games in a row without major gameplay overhauls, its just not their style. Even extend versions are revamped, chrono phantasma and chrono phantasma extend characters play incredibly differently, the only thing with extend versions is that the mechanics remain the same

NEO0MJ

It's been almost 7 years And BB still isn't complete. Final version might be next year, though.

Lemstar

Did you wait a decade after GGXX came out for +R (2003-2014) before you bought it?

No balance changes/new moves for the existing cast is pretty dumb and cheap, but on the upside it has improved graphics due to switching to UE4.

Don't think ASW has done that before on a sequel, right?

I liked the story mode in Xrd, surprisingly, so a new one like that has value to me too. Even if it's just a couple hours one time.

Pompadour

No balance changes/new moves for the existing cast is pretty dumb and cheap, but on the upside it has improved graphics due to switching to UE4.

They still haven't as they didn't switch to UE4, that was just a rumor. It would cost too much to remake everything for that engine.

they still wont do that because they also completely revamp network mode. Even something as simple as chrono phantasma extend revamped network mode from chrono phantasma vanilla

How did they revamp it? If it's that 3D lobby with the fishing then that's a waste to me. I'm not a fan of the lobby system in ASW games in general.

Rutger

Banned
I love Guilty Gear and will easily get more out of Revelator than any other game I buy this year, it's an simple choice for me.

Right now, yes, other than a few system mechanic changes, there has been no rebalancing to returning characters. You're paying for some new characters, what will be the most active online currently available for Xrd, and more story if you're into that. That may change, Arcsys often makes some balance changes when they add the console characters to arcades and then gives that to console owners as a free patch, but there's no guarantee at the moment.

Decide for yourself if you think it's worth it or not. :/

This is always a nice excuse for someone who doesn't actually ever want to play the game.

They still haven't as they didn't switch to UE4, that was just a rumor. It would cost too much to remake everything for that engine.

Oh really? They sure polished stuff up then, it looks way nicer. (Going by the demo)

I've gone on the assumption that there would be a balance patch after the console version fully launches, like the last balance patch for Sign. Would hate to keep playing this version of Slayer for the lifespan of this game.

Mmm, that seems likely. They definitely weren't shy to change stuff in Xrd patches. Poor Ram =(

Naite

I liked the story mode in Xrd, surprisingly, so a new one like that has value to me too. Even if it's just a couple hours one time.
I've gone on the assumption that there would be a balance patch after the console version fully launches, like the last balance patch for Sign. Would hate to keep playing this version of Slayer for the lifespan of this game.

brinstar

I had -SIGN- on PS3, so I'm using -REVELATOR- as an excuse to upgrade to a PS4 version.

though I would've bought it anyway, I fuckin' love Guilty Gear even though I'm awful at playing them

Slaythe

extend arent full priced, and I said full release, that immediately discounts extend releases. Compare revelator to CS, CP, or CF and its much weaker overall

They are full priced (not cheaper than Rev).

And why wouldn't I compare ? You make the rules now ?

It's a fact.

BB "full installment" get 2 years worth of dev cycle, with a shitty extend release in between that renders previous game obsolete.

GGxrd only has a year and a half dev cycle and has no shitty extend, but the counterpart is that it has slightly less content.

Also, the balance change will come after they change it in the arcade. They did that for Sign.

They could have easily just kept Sign unpatched, they decided to do the right thing instead. Which means Revelator doesn't have "new" balance, FOR NOW.

It will eventually get it, it's guaranteed.

They are full priced (not cheaper than Rev).

And why wouldn't I compare ? You make the rules now ?

It's a fact.

BB "full installment" get 2 years worth of dev cycle, with a shitty extend release in between that renders previous game obsolete.

GGxrd only has a year and a half dev cycle and has no shitty extend, but the counterpart is that it has slightly less content.

Also, the balance change will come after they change it in the arcade. They did that for Sign.

They could have easily just kept Sign unpatched, they decided to do the right thing instead. Which means Revelator doesn't have "new" balance, FOR NOW.

It will eventually get it, it's guaranteed.
you are wrong though, extend are 40, 50 on ps4. Revelator is 60. And whats with "making rules thing" I stated in my first post "full release" that doesn't include extend

you are wrong though, extend are 40, 50 on ps4. Revelator is 60. And whats with "making rules thing" I stated in my first post "full release" that doesn't include extend

Depends on your area actually! Revelator is 45 euro here (though i think we don't get Kum for free for the first month?)

Maybe it's an apology/incentive to forgive them for the first one's bungled release?

Asd202

Depends on your area actually! Revelator is 45 euro here (though i think we don't get Kum for free for the first month?)

Maybe it's an apology/incentive to forgive them for the first one's bungled release?

Can I ask where it's 45 euro exactly? Would love to buy it at that price.

I guess I'm just not used to BB's model of release.

P4A(yes, the fighter with only 2 versions) is probably the only Arcsys game I've ever 100% followed, while only rarely buying whatever latest version of BB every now and then. Up until GG Xrd where I'm now probably gonna get every new version of that that comes out.

And P4A was probably the best version change in a fighter I've ever seen. Not only did it add new balancing and moves for each character, a bunch of new characters(as well as a shadow version of every character), a new story mode and better online, but also new modes.

Dammit Arcsys, just give me P4AU on PS4 already. I'll do anything.

Korigama

I guess I'm just not used to BB's model of release.

P4A(yes, the fighter with only 2 versions) is probably the only Arcsys game I've ever 100% followed, while only rarely buying whatever latest version of BB every now and then. Up until GG Xrd where I'm now probably gonna get every new version of that that comes out.

And P4A was probably the best version change in a fighter I've ever seen. Not only did it add new balancing and moves for each character, a bunch of new characters(as well as a shadow version of every character), a new story mode and better online, but also new modes.

Dammit Arcsys, just give me P4AU on PS4 already. I'll do anything.
That's Atlus' decision, not Arc's. And given the fact that they can't even commit to bringing the arcade version's rebalance patch to consoles, it's probably better not to get one's hopes up.

Top Bottom