• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gun sales up amid presidential election race fervor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama proving he's can stimulate the economy in ways that Romney could never hope to do. It's interesting that its developing in a recognizable trend at this point. I'm extremely interested in PA leading the sales especially since Romney is going to get trounced in the state...perhaps that's why? Seriously though for people to have an reason to fear an legislative changes Republicans would have to lose the house and the sizable number of pro gun Democrats would have to decrease, in short anyone buying a ton of guns or ammo because they think they will be banned is an idiot. Now just buying them for the hell of it or you enjoy them and can afford them or need one, well nothing wrong with that.

This year already has been one of the best that George Romanoff has seen in his 36 years as owner of the Ace Sporting Goods store in Washington, Pa.

And if President Obama wins, it'll be an extremely strong year," said Mr. Romanoff.

Every four years, pollsters and gun shop owners in America seem to get a little busier.

This year already has been one of the best that George Romanoff has seen in his 36 years as owner of the Ace Sporting Goods store in Washington, Pa.

"And if President Obama wins, it'll be an extremely strong year," said Mr. Romanoff.

Every four years, pollsters and gun shop owners in America seem to get a little busier.

The phenomenon was sharply felt in 2008, when President Barack Obama's election had gun enthusiasts worried that a Democratic administration would curtail gun rights. The week of his election, background checks required for gun sales leapt 47 percent from the same week in 2007.

But even in this election, where the economy remains the dominant issue, the two major parties' stances on gun control haven't completely left the stage.

At a campaign stop in Rosslyn Farms last month, Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan drew cheers when he told the crowd, "Hey, I'm a Catholic deer hunter; I am happy to cling to my guns and my religion."

The Democratic campaign has repeatedly said the administration has no plans to alter gun laws, and that Mr. Obama supports a reading of the Second Amendment that maintains current rights.

Yet gun sales have risen steadily over the past several years for reasons that industry representatives say is as psychological as it is political, and presidential elections seem to secure a consistent boost for the booming industry.

At this point, election sales increases are now generally expected -- executives at Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. in Findlay even mentioned it on an August conference call with investors reading the tea leaves of third-quarter guidance. And retailers large and small are bulking up on their inventories even as industry suppliers struggle to keep up with demand.

Pennsylvania is on the front lines of the overall trend toward buying more guns.

Background checks associated with gun purchases in Pennsylvania are up on a year-over-year basis for every month so far this year, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation database. Examinations through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS, don't necessarily lead to a gun purchase each time one is completed, but they are a leading indicator of economic interest in firearms.
In the first eight months of this year, Pennsylvania has seen more than 583,000 NICS requests, already more than all the requests processed in 2007.

Only three other states -- California, Kentucky, and Texas -- have seen more.

In Pennsylvania at least, similar election-year increases in background checks were not seen in the 2000 and 2004 cycles.

Mr. Romanoff and his peers have seen steady sales growth since 2008, though the general unease that comes with an uncertain economy may help explain the increases.

"When free-floating anxiety goes up, firearm sales go up," said Andrew Molchan, a director at American Firearms, a retail industry group headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Almost half of Americans reported having a gun in their home in 2011, according to a Gallup poll. The steadily rising interest in gun purchases has led to more customers buying collectable firearms as an investment holding to keep and turn around for resale in five to 10 years, Mr. Romanoff said.

"When you have a stock market that is a house of cards, people want something more solid as a commodity," he said. "Be it gold, silver, real estate -- or, in our case, a collectable firearm."

The surge in sales has led to a drop in supply among gun manufacturers, Mr. Molchan said.

"People think you can press on the gas pedal at the factory, and that's not the case," he said. Manufacturers are reluctant to make a multimillion dollar investment in new equipment or workers, and then see a change in policy six months down the road, he said.

Second Amendment rights haven't emerged as a premiere issue in the 2012 presidential contest, in part because the candidates have both said they support a similar reading of the amendment.

A 2010 Supreme Court case affirming those rights tempered some fears about the future of gun rights, local gun shop owners say. In that case, called District of Columbia v. Heller, the court ruled 5-4 that an individual has the constitutional right to possess a firearm for purposes like self-defense in the home.

Still, Mr. Romanoff has invested in the largest inventory his store has ever held.

He said he wouldn't be watching the returns in November with an eye on the bottom line.

"I would gladly sacrifice business to have a different president, and you can quote me on that," he said.

The waiting game until November isn't reserved for political pundits -- it's also triggered a shift among some retailers over how they market their firearm products. Executives at Nebraska-based Cabela's Inc. recently told the Wall Street Journal they had two advertising plans at the ready for any outcome in the election.

If Mitt Romney wins, Cabela's will stock up on the accoutrements that come with gun sports, like boots and camouflage. If Mr. Obama wins a second term, the company will capitalize on a perceived threat on gun ownership and add more firearms to its inventory.

Meanwhile, handgun sales are up about 25 percent this year at the R.M. Crevar Gun Shop in West Mifflin, owner Michael Crevar said. "If the election goes the way it could, people think they're never going to have a gun again," he said.

For his part, Mr. Crevar, who is approaching 70 years old, said he's retiring within the year from an industry where successful sales are a little too closely tied to the national mood.

If he could start over, he wouldn't have entered such a fluctuating market, he said, and would instead have probably gone into the medical field.

Volimar

Yes, make sure you get your guns now, before Obama wins a second term. Because he did fuck all about gun control in his first term so he must definitely be after your guns!

Yes, make sure you get your guns now, before Obama wins a second term. Because he did fuck all about gun control in his first term so he must definitely be after your guns!
Clearly. I may love guns, but I'm not dumb enough to think Romney is a better choice. He actually has a demonstratively worse record...and not just on gun lol I don't look forward to a retard induced price spike.

Gun sales are like gas prices, everything makes them go up
Ammo prices too, though those have at least had other reasons like military buy and components using in making them cost more,

Didn't this happen in 2008 too?
Yep, before I owned any guns, but it was pretty bad if you wanted a gun, ammo, or reloading components from what people have told me.

way more

If you were a true gun advocate you would know from the NRA that it's just a ploy.

Volimar

If you were a true gun advocate you would know from the NRA that it's just a ploy.

I'm not a gun advocate, quite the opposite, but I do believe that our founding fathers meant for private gun ownership to be a right that needed to be protected.

Oh man you should see the shit I've been getting from them, they've gone full retard. My dad was pissed with this months American Rifleman cover, which is a good mag, being election related, that he has it facing down instead of face up like the others to hide the cover. I can't wait till the election is over..,it will still be ungodly stupid, just not supreme ungodly stupid. lol

Volimar

Oh man you should see the shit I've been getting from them, they've gone full retard. My dad was pissed with this months American Rifleman cover, which is a good mag, being election related, that he has it facing down instead of face up like the others to hide the cover. I can't wait till the election is over..,it will still be ungodly stupid, just not supreme ungodly stupid. lol

I just went to their site to see if I could find the cover, and the banner ad for it is for pepper spray, lol. PepperBlaster II

You know how some people are saying that you should give Obama a second term because now that he doesn't have to worry about reelection he can be more bold and push his reforms through? Well the people who are worried about him in 2008 are going to be worried again in 2012 for that very reason.

maharg

idspispopd
You know how some people are saying that you should give Obama a second term because now that he doesn't have to worry about reelection he can be more bold and push his reforms through? Well the people who are worried about him in 2008 are going to be worried again in 2012 for that very reason.

Second terms are a two-edged sword. A president who doesn't need to seek re-election can be more bold in their agenda. However, even supportive congressmen at that point need to worry more about their own re-election than the president's.

I just went to their site to see if I could find the cover, and the banner ad for it is for pepper spray, lol. PepperBlaster II
Well pepper spray isn't that odd of an ad banner. It's the ones for things like thereadystore.com (not that emergency food supplies for basic disaster preparations are bad....but a full year. lol Oh well it comes with the territory.

Obama is a secret British loyalist. He's going to strip your gun rights so the Queen of England can walk right in over you.
Fuck so that's what it is!

Second terms are a two-edged sword. A president who doesn't need to seek re-election can be more bold in their agenda. However, even supportive congressmen at that point need to worry more about their own re-election than the president's.
And are far less likely to help him out on some unpopular thing for his legacy building.

Volimar

Well pepper spray isn't that odd of an ad banner. It's the ones for things like thereadystore.com (not that emergency food supplies for basic disaster preparations are bad....but a full year. lol Oh well it comes with the territory.

I've always been interested in how those things taste. I wouldn't mind a few pouches or MREs for my disaster preparedness kit if I had the money. Getting a blizzard or (another) week long power outage is always in the back of my mind.

KissVibes

Banned
It must be nice to not have to do shit but let people feed into their own paranoia in order to give the economy a little boost. I wonder how they'll feel about spending money when Romney is elected president?

I've always been interested in how those things taste. I wouldn't mind a few pouches or MREs for my disaster preparedness kit if I had the money. Getting a blizzard or (another) week long power outage is always in the back of my mind.

It's an acquired taste. Think about it like this, if the only alternative is cannibalism, you'll probably want to eat the MREs.

Luigiv

u7a0R.jpg

I've always been interested in how those things taste. I wouldn't mind a few pouches or MREs for my disaster preparedness kit if I had the money.
Depends on the meal, some aren't that bad and some are assssss. Keep in mind while you can find real MRE's on eBay and some sites, most are not official MRE's FWIW. I would say look at some of the reviews on the site and other sites like that. Mountain House or Saratoga Farm products aren't the same as MREs and may be a lot more palatable. Both are common companies that are used by people camping to Baby Jesus Coming Back to Scour the Jewbs type people, lol

Getting a blizzard or (another) week long power outage is always in the back of my mind.
Same here, it's not uncommon in PA.

antonz

Elections just spur odd reactions in people. I remember back in 2010 they were finding there was a big surge in gun buying even by democrats. Bad economy gets people worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom