• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HADES 1.0 |OT| Get out of hell

TexMex

I went from hitting a wall on boss one to getting to the third in one try. Iced the second first try.

all from some ability that, if you’re willing to take a 60% HP cut, would add 2 hp every time you hit an enemy which basically affords unlimited healing. It was great.

For Switch owners - is there any sort of in game achievement system?

Last edited:

McCheese

I got to the last boss!! (I think)

The story updates have slowed down quite a lot now, but the gameplay is fun as fuck so going to stick with it for quite some time.

Achilles is a real bro, he might be the nicest friend I've ever had in a videogame. Folks giving their honey to Meg just because she has a sultry voice and not him, for shame on you.

I wasted 4 bloods on a shield upgrade that I now hate, that slow as fuck one that sounded awesome until you realize it moves like 5 pixels per second. Any way to refund them? Blood is expensive to farm

Xanine

Neo Member
I wasted 4 bloods on a shield upgrade that I now hate, that slow as fuck one that sounded awesome until you realize it moves like 5 pixels per second. Any way to refund them? Blood is expensive to farm
No, unlike the mirror for darkness, you cannot refund titan's blood once they are spent on the weapons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is a pretty damn great game, isn't it? Playing it on Switch and 10 runs in now. Furthest I've been is the dual bosses of Elysium (almost beat them).

Needing to start from beginning is getting a bit tiring and I gotta say, I really don't enjoy the Elysium areas or enemies, but I'm still having fun with the characters and progression mechanics. I'm using the shield right now, but also really enjoyed the spear.

Am I missing something with the Cast ability or is it more trouble than it's worth? I've never tried upgrading it because of how much of a weak ability it seems by default, but if there's some super OP element to it that I'm missing out on, I'd love to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eevee86

This is a pretty damn great game, isn't it? Playing it on Switch and 10 runs in now. Furthest I've been is the dual bosses of Elysium (almost beat them).

Needing to start from beginning is getting a bit tiring and I gotta say, I really don't enjoy the Elysium areas or enemies, but I'm still having fun with the characters and progression mechanics. I'm using the shield right now, but also really enjoyed the spear.

Am I missing something with the Cast ability or is it more trouble than it's worth? I've never tried upgrading it because of how much of a weak ability it seems by default, but if there's some super OP element to it that I'm missing out on, I'd love to know.
You get a talent that makes enemies take like 50% more damage while they have it in them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You get a talent that makes enemies take like 50% more damage while they have it in them.

What does "have it in them" mean? Does it just have to hit them? Do they have to be standing on it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Finally beat the second boss and made it all the way to the third. Got a crazy combo (duo skill) that caused my dash to create weakness and my attack to cause doom - and doom damage would continue to apply every few seconds as long as the enemy was inflicted with weakness. And this was all with the gun, so it seems crazy OP how I can dash up to an enemy, shoot them, and their health will basically tick away 200 damage at a time over the course of about 5 seconds.

This game is crazy good, there is definitely more to it than it's presented on the surface.

I'm not very good at it, like most roguelites, but I still really like it. I played a bunch last night and the furthest I've made it so far is the first boss. She had some aoe spell that was just wrecking me anytime I stopped dashing so I ended up dying. I hate the twin bomb throwing dudes too.

Poppyseed

Can someone explain to me why you can open up your skills menu and “select” different ones with the A button? Doesn’t seem to do anything...

jigglet

Banned
I wish this had a demo. I loved Dead Souls but didn't really play it much. This seems like the sort of game I'd love but just not play much. A demo would help me decide on that.

Guilty_AI

Not to port beg, but yeah if this was on ps4 I’d probably pick it up
Its fine to port beg, only platform warriors complain about it.
Supergiant games has ported their two previous titles to ps4 so it wouldn't be strange to port this one also.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the sword gets a complete overhaul. Doesn't make sense that the weapon that puts you in the most danger has such trash damage output.

Yeah. It does seem like every weapon I've used (bow, spear, shield) is way better than the sword, but then again, I've only used the sword for 3 runs.

Eevee86

Yeah. It does seem like every weapon I've used (bow, spear, shield) is way better than the sword, but then again, I've only used the sword for 3 runs.
I've beaten it with every weapon but the sword and spear. Sword is the only one I can't get to the end without dying several times with.

Holammer

Bought the game when it released on Steam, finally got around to give it a go and spent my first two hours on it.
It's pretty much what I expected and MUCH MORE. Especially when I found the lounge with the kawaii Gorgon. Jesusfuckingchrist, that's an instant critical hit to my heart.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally beat the Elysian bosses, but damn, this next area is brutal. Poison seems extremely unfair in these tight arenas.

MastAndo

Finally beat the Elysian bosses, but damn, this next area is brutal. Poison seems extremely unfair in these tight arenas.
Probably my biggest (and perhaps only) gripe with the game. At this point in the run, there are effects flying everywhere, so I'm not sure how it's possible to avoid getting poisoned - even though it doesn't hit for much damage, and you can cure yourself, it just seems unfair compared to the rest of the game. I'm not sure how many runs I've had that were near flawless in the first three areas then for whatever reason, I get smoked in these poison rooms and lose a death defiance or two going into Hades, then it's game over.

I suppose it's somewhat my fault since I play very aggressively which works well with certain builds for 3/4's of a run, but ultimately fails me at the end. I will confess that I turned on God Mode to quell this for a bit, since I really just wanted clears with my missing weapons, and to acquire that Titan Blood to unlock aspects. I was spinning my wheels just flailing at the end with high-risk weapons like the sword.

All in all, it's a really fantastic game though. I'm repeating myself, but I can't reiterate it enough. It's worth checking out, even if you're not usually a fan of rogue-lites (which I'm not).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Made it to Hades and got smoked. Holy shit, he does like 60 damage a hit...

Also unlocked the final gun-like weapon and it kind of sucks? Seems like forcing you to re-load (with an awkward press of the right stick) and aim with the grenade shot is just a bit too much micromanagement for the frantic pace of this game and its damage really isn't all that good. Does it have some amazing power up the makes it worth it?

luffie

Can someone explain to me why you can open up your skills menu and “select” different ones with the A button? Doesn’t seem to do anything...
It doesn't do anything, it simply allows you to see what boons you have and what they do, so that you can make better choices.

Also unlocked the final gun-like weapon and it kind of sucks? Seems like forcing you to re-load (with an awkward press of the right stick) and aim with the grenade shot is just a bit too much micromanagement for the frantic pace of this game and its damage really isn't all that good. Does it have some amazing power up the makes it worth it?
The gun is very powerful, yeah the reloading is a little frustrating, but that's necessary. Because you can get a boon that allows infinite ammo, and it really makes it quite powerful.

But surprisingly, the best dps weapon is the sword Nemesis Aspect, with the highest crit chance. If you can get the "flurry slash" plus a number of Artemis' crit boons, your attack will kill enemy so fast, you won't even need to cast or special.

The best AoE attack is actually from the Spear, Hades Aspect. If you get the boon "Chain Skewer", your special will hit up to 7 enemies with +30% dmg. No attack in the game hits up to 7, not even a call. Pair it with +400% dmg to armor, and clear those final rooms easy peasy.

Poppyseed

It doesn't do anything, it simply allows you to see what boons you have and what they do, so that you can make better choices.

That makes no sense to me. You literally put a "toggle" on them, - it shows a little icon when they are selected, and you can select 4 or 5 as I recall. There has to be a reason, or this is something left over from an earlier version build of the game where selecting them actually did something...?

I don't mean just highlighting them to see what they do. You can CLICK them.

Last edited:

Eevee86

That makes no sense to me. You literally put a "toggle" on them, - it shows a little icon when they are selected, and you can select 4 or 5 as I recall. There has to be a reason, or this is something left over from an earlier version build of the game where selecting them actually did something...?

I don't mean just highlighting them to see what they do. You can CLICK them.
Yeah, that confuses me as well. I can't tell if selecting them actually does anything.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Beat the Hades boss, twice. Both times, with the gun.

I hear that you need to beat Hades a total of 10 times to get the good ending. So I'll be working towards that. Game is amazing, one of the best I've played in 2020.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK, finally beat Hades on my 17th run. Was using the shield and got really lucky with boons.

Definitely going to keep going and trying to clear it with the other weapons, especially now that I have three charges of Death Defiance.

This game is kind of a masterclass in how to do compelling progression mechanics. Just great design.

pr0cs

finally beat Hades, took me about 30 tries. Used the 'fists', didn't think I'd beat him going in as I only had 2 lives left (and had previously got to him with 4 lives available and still lost) but was patient and got the win. No idea how people beat the game with the shield, I hate it so much, clearly I never figured out how to use it effectively. Great game, and a masterclass of why so many people like the roguelite genre.

MastAndo

I'm no pro at this game, but I've fared pretty well with the Eris aspect of the railgun, with the Zeus attack boon. The chain lightning does great work with mobs, and just add some sort of poison on Special (like Demeter chill, Dionysus hangover, or Ares doom), and perhaps a Triple Bomb with Daedulus hammer, you should be good to go. There's also a hammer for infinite ammo/no reload, but I haven't gotten that. In general, just be sure to keep firing the special onto yourself for extra damage. On top of that, the Athena dash would work, but truth be told, I look for that every run regardless of weapon choice. All in all, this build with Eris aspect felt like the first "easy" run I had in the game with these boons. Give it a shot.

finally beat Hades, took me about 30 tries. Used the 'fists', didn't think I'd beat him going in as I only had 2 lives left (and had previously got to him with 4 lives available and still lost) but was patient and got the win. No idea how people beat the game with the shield, I hate it so much, clearly I never figured out how to use it effectively. Great game, and a masterclass of why so many people like the roguelite genre.
The Chaos shield works well. I heard it was nerfed from earlier builds of the game, but it's still pretty effective. With the shield in general, you can just play cautiously and beat Hades. Just hold the shield up to block his attacks, then bull rush when there's an opening and throw your special at the end of it. Rinse, repeat. Having a block option separates it from other weapons, and I think makes it the easiest clear of the bunch, despite having inferior damage output. It just requires a little bit of patience. I relied on it earlier on, but I am finding as I get better, I'm having more fun with other weapons better suited for aggressive play.

Last edited:
I never played games like this, but I love it. One of my favourite games at the moment. Any other games like this people can recommend?

Game also runs super smooth on my shitty PC (GTX 660 , I7 2600k 8GB ram lol) in 1440p with a controller.

I have upgraded to double dash and you have these powers that leave behind some damaging circles when dashing. It's my favourite powerup.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I hope the sword gets a complete overhaul. Doesn't make sense that the weapon that puts you in the most danger has such trash damage output.
Use the special and pump only that with fruit boons and hammer dedicated booms, when you are gonna do almost 300x2 damage in a large area you are gonna regret your words.

Or just unlock the last aspect for the weapon, basically the easy mode for this game.

EVERY WEAPON IS OP WITH THE RIGHT GOD\BOONS.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I never played games like this, but I love it. One of my favourite games at the moment. Any other games like this people can recommend?

Game also runs super smooth on my shitty PC (GTX 660 , I7 2600k 8GB ram lol) in 1440p with a controller.

I have upgraded to double dash and you have these powers that leave behind some damaging circles when dashing. It's my favourite powerup.
on the same genre with some nice narrative there is children of morta if you like the pixel art style.
dreamscaper is new and there is a demo on steam.

It's very hard to find a roguelite with the same amount of narrative of hades, most of them are pure gameplay.

A couple that i liked in the last year:

neon abyss
wizard of legend
curse of the dead gods
synthetik legion rising
devil slayer raksasi

Not gonna list the usual isaac, gungeon etc., these are already pretty famous.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

I love how that no matter how many times I die and return home, the dialogue is always fresh and we get a little bit more of the characters’ backstories fleshed out.

Me when Cerberus is away :messenger_sad_relieved:

jshackles

I love how that no matter how many times I die and return home, the dialogue is always fresh and we get a little bit more of the characters’ backstories fleshed out.

Me when Cerberus is away :messenger_sad_relieved:
Agreed, the voice acting in this game is top notch and seems to be entirely endless. I'm on my 26th run, but I've got past Hades 3 times now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, had an awesome Sword build with the 2 life per hit power up. Made it through the whole thing without dying once and Hades just smoked me. His damage per hit is just too damn high and the Sword makes you get in way too close.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
New patch is out! On Switch at least.

I'll try it later today, maybe it improves the performance on handheld mode.

edbrat

This game is legit, the core gameplay loops feel good and the variety available gives this a long long learning curve. I don't understand jack about any of the systems yet but I can't stop playing it damnit.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The reason this game is so good is that it's a relentless critique of roguelikes, and how much they suck. If you hate roguelikes, you will 'potentially' like this game. Me? I'm having an existential experience and am absolutely floored by how good it is.

Roguelike reality: You literally replay 4 levels over and over with the same bosses for the entire game.

Genius innovation: I've played 20 loops so far, and the entire time I haven't heard a single line of dialogue repeateded. What is a roguelike - endless repetition and failure: aka - hell. Thus we begin to enter the narrative genius of Hades, setting a roguelike in literal hell. It's the only honest way to describe narrative reality in the confines of this genre, and it fits so perfectly.

If you hate roguelikes, you may love this game, because it relentlessly talks shit on it throughout the entire game while constantly providing you with continuous progress and narrative reasons to keep going without completely repeating yourself. The controls are flawless. The builds are extremely well thought out. 10 hours in, I'll try a different combination of god powers and weapon and find out its almost perfectly balanced to fit this build, and this happens over and over.

If you like instant gratification action games with top-tier controls, and lots of depth, don't particularly like rogue likes, but like pick up and play switch games, then buy this game. You will be won over by the narrative, the sheer polish, and the constant nods to intelligent game design you see almost every run ...... in hell. Roguelikes = hell. If you're ready to traverse this, then this is the best one ever made. Die and retry, and explore what that means for characters.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Someone help me with this game. I downloaded it and it kept pulling me back to the beginning of the level over and over again after I died. I don't know how to refresh my health. I ended up returning the game to Steam because I couldn't get any further. What am I missing or am I just that bad of a player?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Someone help me with this game. I downloaded it and it kept pulling me back to the beginning of the level over and over again after I died. I don't know how to refresh my health. I ended up returning the game to Steam because I couldn't get any further. What am I missing or am I just that bad of a player?
You're in hell. You are cursed to die and return over and over. It's a roguelike (with progression).

Focus on collecting purple orbs (shadow), because that carries over after you die with permanent benefits. Collect keys also to unlock new weapons. Talk to everyone every run to advance the story.

Learn what all the icons are when you advance to new rooms. You're at the very beginning. You're supposed to fail, over and over.

Eventually you can buy permanent health upgrades, and health refresh when advancing to different rooms (with shadow points, shadow is always permanent after you die. Coins are only temporary and wipe when you die).

Last edited:

GymWolf

You never played or even know the roguelite genre?!

Dying and trying again is basically the core mechanic.

For people who are "in" to games like this, what would you say are the key ingredients/features to make a successful rogue-like game?

I personally like the Boon system (that feels like a fairly common trope for these games) which gives me a sense of power progression and choice in each run but I also love the meta progression system on top. That makes me feel like I can progress that bit further each time (even while I'm learning to master the game).

GymWolf

The reason this game is so good is that it's a relentless critique of roguelikes, and how much they suck. If you hate roguelikes, you will 'potentially' like this game. Me? I'm having an existential experience and am absolutely floored by how good it is.

Roguelike reality: You literally replay 4 levels over and over with the same bosses for the entire game.

Genius innovation: I've played 20 loops so far, and the entire time I haven't heard a single line of dialogue repeateded. What is a roguelike - endless repetition and failure: aka - hell. Thus we begin to enter the narrative genius of Hades, setting a roguelike in literal hell. It's the only honest way to describe narrative reality in the confines of this genre, and it fits so perfectly.

If you hate roguelikes, you may love this game, because it relentlessly talks shit on it throughout the entire game while constantly providing you with continuous progress and narrative reasons to keep going without completely repeating yourself. The controls are flawless. The builds are extremely well thought out. 10 hours in, I'll try a different combination of god powers and weapon and find out its almost perfectly balanced to fit this build, and this happens over and over.

If you like instant gratification action games with top-tier controls, and lots of depth, don't particularly like rogue likes, but like pick up and play switch games, then buy this game. You will be won over by the narrative, the sheer polish, and the constant nods to intelligent game design you see almost every run ...... in hell. Roguelikes = hell. If you're ready to traverse this, then this is the best one ever made. Die and retry, and explore what that means for characters.
I absolutely hated the roguelite genre before hades.

Rare case of a game that is soo good that can make you enjoy a genre that you hate.

Top Bottom