• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HADES 1.0 |OT| Get out of hell

GymWolf

For people who are "in" to games like this, what would you say are the key ingredients/features to make a successful rogue-like game?

I personally like the Boon system (that feels like a fairly common trope for these games) which gives me a sense of power progression and choice in each run but I also love the meta progression system on top. That makes me feel like I can progress that bit further each time (even while I'm learning to master the game).
I love a robust sense of progression between runs, so no like classic roguelike, and power up that completely change your run like the hammers boons for the weapons.

Hades go further and even add a pleasant narrative.

GymWolf

Same here. It's basically trashing roguelikes the entire time, by literally setting the narrative in hell. It just happens to be so good, and so polished that it manages to be a masterpiece.
The strange thing is that now i even love the genre...

Of course they need to have progression between runs and good combat for me to even consider to buy one.

I'm really enjoying curse of the dead gods for example, narrative is non-existent and progression is less robust but the combat is chef's kiss, less fast paced and more methodic, it play like isometric dark soul.

Last edited:
Someone help me with this game. I downloaded it and it kept pulling me back to the beginning of the level over and over again after I died. I don't know how to refresh my health. I ended up returning the game to Steam because I couldn't get any further. What am I missing or am I just that bad of a player?

Yeah, that's one of the key elements of roguelike games. Die and die again.

I thought they did a pretty good job of integrating it into the theme but I guess, for those not used to it, it can still be a little jarring.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hope the sword gets a complete overhaul. Doesn't make sense that the weapon that puts you in the most danger has such trash damage output.
The only time I've had great sword runs is having Athena's Deflect on the special. Then you get Aphrodite's short range cast move. Then just spam only those two things. Never even regular attack.

Last edited:
I love a robust sense of progression between runs, so no like classic roguelike, and power up that completely change your run like the hammers boons for the weapons.

Hades go further and even add a pleasant narrative.

Same here. Normal rouguelikes can get tiring pretty quickly for me. Having that sense of progression (both in terms of my power but also the narritive side) really help with the sense of moving forward.

Something I've not figured. Is there a map or some way to get a sense of your progerssion through a run? I find it hard (in these early days) to figure whether I've done better in one run from another...

GymWolf

Same here. Normal rouguelikes can get tiring pretty quickly for me. Having that sense of progression (both in terms of my power but also the narritive side) really help with the sense of moving forward.
Try children of morta, it is inferior to hades in pretty much everything, but it has a nice progression and narrative.
Also transistor, it's made by the same people who made hades and the progression\abilities are kinda similar in a way (and far more under your control for mix-matching), also very good voice acting and neat narrative, not a roguelite game tho.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Something I've not figured. Is there a map or some way to get a sense of your progerssion through a run? I find it hard (in these early days) to figure whether I've done better in one run from another...
You can go in the office and consult 2 things that remember every run you did with all the stats.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
When I watch gameplay videos, which are awesome, it feels as if game is taking place in a single map. The same thing happened in the games "Control" and "Dead cells" and it caused me to get bored quickly. But I guess I will not resist it and i will buy it, because i like rogue-likes/lites(whatever)and it is praised too much. It has great OST as well. I want to experience this. In next sale.

Eevee86

The only time I've had great sword runs is having Athena's Deflect on the special. Then you get Aphrodite's short range cast move. Then just spam only those two things. Never even regular attack.
Using its hidden aspect makes it better at least. Gives you some nice protection and higher damage, even if it swings slower.

tommycronin

Can't stop playing this game. I thought after I had gotten to the surface that the game was pretty much over but that isn't the case at all. There's so much more going on. The shield weapon is defintiely my favourite. On my second run now loving it more than my first run.

Last edited:

Cracklox

Hey there's an OT for this...

I played 70 odd hours in early access and loved it. Last I played was the patch before full release so there's still a bit to catch up on including the true ending. Which I'm kinda invested in. I hope Zag and Dionysus can can catch up and live happily ever after as the truest of bro's with massive orgies and wenches for all, but I think I might be disappointed.

And now, having read some of the thread and gotten thinking about the game, I think I'm ready to dive back in. Like, right now.

'Again'

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Can't stop playing this game. I thought after I had gotten to the surface that the game was pretty much over but that isn't the case at all. There's so much more going on. The shield weapon is defintiely my favourite. On my second run now loving it more than my first run.
Same here. I've cleared it twice with my bow.

So far it seems like the best moves in the game for surviving are Hyper Sprint, Holy Shield, and wear the Broken Spear. Makes you damn near invincible.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What should I know before starting this up?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What should I know before starting this up?
Um ... learn what the icons on the doors are over time. There's a system for everything and you will learn as you go.

Don't be afraid to play differently based on what powers you get.

Talk to everyone. That's about it. Discovering things as you go is the fun part.

Holammer

Put in 42h on the game and I'll probably put in at least 20 more.
Made it to the surface 4 times and most of the time it's because I got a crazy build.

Eevee86

Slowly making my way up the Heat ladder. Beating it on 5 at least with most weapons. A lot of it seems to be luck though. Some skills are just clearly better than others. Wish you could reroll Daedalus Hammers.

tommycronin

Same here. I've cleared it twice with my bow.

So far it seems like the best moves in the game for surviving are Hyper Sprint, Holy Shield, and wear the Broken Spear. Makes you damn near invincible.
I've done it twice with my shield now. That holy shield really comes in handy doesn't it. So since I did it twice with my shield my heat metre is still only able to take 1 bounty thing, do I have to complete a run with a separate weapon to up the modifiers for the heat level?

Last edited:

John2290

Pretty pissed off that they skipped PS4 after me supporting every game they put out prior. Might just skip this if it does drop on ps4.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've done it twice with my shield now. That holy shield really comes in handy doesn't it. So since I did it twice with my shield my heat metre is still only able to take 1 bounty thing, do I have to complete a run with a separate weapon to up the modifiers for the heat level?
I've only beat it with bow and I'm on heat 4 now with it. You should be able to increase it 1 pt each run.

MastAndo

After about 60 runs or so, I feel like I'm officially burned out on this one. There's still plenty to do, but for me, it's basically boiling down to acquiring Titan Blood to unlock/upgrade the remaining aspects, none of which I'm particularly driven to acquire after looking into them a bit - so I think I'm gonna put this one aside for a while.

All that said, what a ride. I went from feeling hopeless in my first 20 runs or so, to feeling I could only beat it with a particular weapon aspect, to confidently escaping over and over with each weapon type, ending things on a 13 escape streak. The sense of progression and improvement is just so well done, as is mostly everything in this game. Really, I can't reiterate enough - I didn't care to go near Roguelikes/lites before Hades, but this is one of my favorite games in recent memory. It's just a tremendous achievement.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've put in about 30 runs now and have escaped 6 times. I can usually get to Hades on each run but depending on my build I may or may not defeat him - Doom seems to be a bit OP.

I'm gonna try and escape a few more times (10 in total, I heard that's when the credits actually roll and the story is more or less "over") but I'm still having a blast with this game figuring out new builds and such.

MastAndo

I want to say there's a difficulty setting to turn that off and you can enjoy it as an action rpg
There isn't. There's a "God Mode", but that's just a 20% enemy damage reduction that increases by 2% each time you fail to escape. It's still the same gameplay loop.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I got 4 wins a row so far. 30 runs.

Feels like I've seen almost everything now except whatever text and cutscenes are left. The rest just looks like grinding if you want to keep playing indefinitely.

Slowly making my way up the Heat ladder. Beating it on 5 at least with most weapons. A lot of it seems to be luck though. Some skills are just clearly better than others. Wish you could reroll Daedalus Hammers.

Sometimes the final shop will actually have a "delete one random hammer gain 2" item for sale

Punished Miku

Gold Member
the real finale is after 10 successfull runs.
Cool, I guess I can go for that. I'll probably step back for a bit after that, though it is extremely addicting.

Still will be a good game to keep on my Switch for random pick up and play. But I think I've done 40 hours straight on this game in a week, and it'll be time to play something else soon.

How does this run on Switch, if I can play this at 60fps on the go...

It's almost as good as Gungeon, almost. It really needs the same things that Gungeon lacks. A scoring system and a daily seed for leaderboards.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I've put in about 30 runs now and have escaped 6 times. I can usually get to Hades on each run but depending on my build I may or may not defeat him - Doom seems to be a bit OP.

I'm gonna try and escape a few more times (10 in total, I heard that's when the credits actually roll and the story is more or less "over") but I'm still having a blast with this game figuring out new builds and such.

Damn i must be awful at the game. I have put in 17 runs and i've only reached the third level boss a couple times.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Damn i must be awful at the game. I have put in 17 runs and i've only reached the third level boss a couple times.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think the first time I actually beat Hades I was on run 22.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The game is like a big snowball that gains momentum and size while rolling downhill. Once something "clicks," then it can be repeated a lot. There's also a few builds and keepsakes that are dramatically better than others.

If you want some boss or enemy tips though, the best thing is to learn exactly what everyone attacks with so it's less of a blur why you lose. Then adjust.

Last edited:

GymWolf

And even more important, work on unlocking everything from the mirror (you have 2 set of powers, don't forget to switch to see the others).

stuff like having 40% more change of finding rare boon and 20% of epic boon make an enormous difference when you start your run, same for the life, the money, how many times you can die in a run etc.

I can assure you that every god\weapon is viable when you start your run with a purple boon.

maybe later in these days i'm gonna post some OP builds.

Last edited:
Jooxed Jooxed
I've beaten Hades 3 times now (out of I don't know how many runs), but each of those times was because of lucky boons. Some of those Chaos boons can be really great. More than anything, getting the right boons can make the game almost easy.

Holammer

Not my proudest moment. I figured I'd save up the scratch to buy a Titan Blood from Charon, but ended up winning by kiting him for ages.
7 wins now, getting the hang of it.

0F6B6F6B8F3C444B86230585193D83F73620BD33

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Stumbled upon one of the most fun builds I've used in the game, for the dual fist weapons.

You need the magnetic pull special first. Then two Poseidon moves, one that knocks enemies back when his with your special, and one that causes damage when you bounce enemies off walls. You can add some Ares damage, like +230 damage on next attack after killing someone.

So essentially you just spam your special all day, and it pulls in enemies from far away, then the special sends them flying out when hit into walls and that also does damage. Just tossing enemies around like ragdolls.

Cracklox

So after not being a big fan of the rail last I played in early access, I took it for a spin last night and got a crazy multishot, freezing rocket launcher build going and it was glorious. Murdered the shit out of pops no problems for my first clear with it, and saw the actual ending for the 1st time.

I think the hooks are back in

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
28 runs and finally beat Hades with every weapon once now.

Is there any additional major bonus/story stuff for beating him with every Aspect of every weapon, or am I cool to now just focus on the weapons I most enjoy using?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
28 runs and finally beat Hades with every weapon once now.

Is there any additional major bonus/story stuff for beating him with every Aspect of every weapon, or am I cool to now just focus on the weapons I most enjoy using?
I'm unlocking legendary weapons now. Just unlocked the spear first. Then there's the fated lists to complete where you need every daedalus upgrade once, and a few other minor things.

Holammer

14 wins, really getting the hang of it now.
Last run was nuts as the stars aligned and I got a cast duo boon (Athena & Ares's 'hunting blades') which made blade rifts seek out enemies. So I loaded up the bow and unleashed it, clearing out satyrs and whatnot often in one shot. This in a 4 heat run.
Fingers crossed for Playstation and Xbox versions asap, the 98% user score on Steam is well deserved and more people should be able to enjoy it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Found one of the sickest builds ever just now. Requires the legendary gun, and the daedalus enhancement for no reloading. Then you can have either Zeus' lightning on your attack, and it's just the most rapid pulse of lightning I've seen, chaining to all nearby enemies and doing a ton of damage. Or you can put Artemis' deflect on your attack, and just stand there and not worry about much hitting you ever. I once got the Artemis deflect on it, and the triple attack and the infinite ammo, and I literally just stood in every room and held attack.

Top Bottom