• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life Alyx Ending and Spoilers (Major Spoilers Obviously and Wtf!?)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
SPOILERS

So what the fuck with that ending?

Alyx retrieves G-Man and he allows her to change the future by saving her father. As a result, she becomes Gordon's replacement.

So HL3 looking like a very strong posdibility.... without Gordon?

Wtf Valve?

Edit: oh I guess Gordon is still around. By the looks of it, Eli says "she's gone" meaning either Alyx died or disappeared at the end of Ep 2. Wtf?

Last edited:
Alyx retrieves G-Man and he allows her to change the future by saving her father. As a result, she becomes Gordon's replacement.
1200px-Campo_Santo.svg.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Alright... just finished it.
So if ep2 would go on for 2 seconds longer, we would've seen Alyx save her father and disappear.
I understand she replaces Gordon since G-Man fired him and hired her... ok but How did Gordon Fail at his "work" ? Wasn't it about entertainment for celestial beings or whatever ? :p

Now I have to say - VALVE - THE MOTHERFUCKERS ended the game like 2 seconds later than episode2... we wait 13 years and finish in the same place. That's crazy and bold.

And if this time they won't continue with a sequel next year, they better... they better announce cancellation today since I don't want to live another 13 years in hope for sequel.
Let's just hope they were working on sequel at the same time...

But why are we given the crowbar, if Gordon is fired? His vr gamepaly without gravity gloves would suck too, so I don't believe we would play as him in the next game

Dvidus

Alright... just finished it.
So if ep2 would go on for 2 seconds longer, we would've seen Alyx save her father and disappear.
I understand she replaces Gordon since G-Man fired him and hired her... ok but How did Gordon Fail at his "work" ? Wasn't it about entertainment for celestial beings or whatever ? :p

Now I have to say - VALVE - THE MOTHERFUCKERS ended the game like 2 seconds later than episode2... we wait 13 years and finish in the same place. That's crazy and bold.

And if this time they won't continue with a sequel next year, they better... they better announce cancellation today since I don't want to live another 13 years in hope for sequel.
Let's just hope they were working on sequel at the same time...

But why are we given the crowbar, if Gordon is fired? His vr gamepaly without gravity gloves would suck too, so I don't believe we would play as him in the next game
Eli says: “Gordon, Gordon, wake up, SHE’s gone”.
I guess hl3 will be the quest to find Alyx.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Eli says: “SHE’s gone, he’s got HER”.
I guess hl3 will be the quest to find Alyx.
Exactly. And I really hope it will be like this and we play as Gordon.
And it's really interesting what vr gamepaly will they do without her gravity gloves... unless she dropped them on the floor right there :p

Ristifer

I'm trying to remember the events of Ep. 2 here, but doesn't G-Man say that there must be a payment for Gordon's survival? That's why Eli dies at the end. So now, instead of Eli being gone, the payment being taken is Alyx, except she's actually alive as she's the original "investment" G-Man wanted in the first place?

I don't even know. Just release Half-Life 3 now.

G-Man says Gordon was "unable or unwilling to perform the tasks". I believe "unable" is the actual answer - the Vortigaunts take him away from G-Man in Episode 1.
In Episode 2, G-Man tells Gordon he always had faith in Alyx, unlike his employers. I think he also tells Gordon to make sure she reaches the White Forest lab.

With each new game it becomes more obvious that the HL universe is basically like Men in Black:

giphy.gif

LordOfChaos

So little discussion about such a long awaited new game in the series, but VR is a real gatekeeper I guess

Seems they could go two ways with the ending, or both. Gordon is looking for Alyx, but what is Alyx doing as G-man's lackey? Many times we started the games with the G-man instructing us, could be a split campaign or two entries, I love that option.

Arkage

Banned
Lmao at half the thread being anti-SJW heroes getting triggered over fake news. 10/10, would read again.

On topic, I hope they go into G-mans purpose, and who his employers are. The employers have an interest in the combine staying on Earth apparently, yet the combine also imprisoned G-man...... confusing. And G-man is scared/enemy of the Vorts. Yet he places Freeman in HL2 with the seeming purpose of causing the tower to explode.... which seems against the interests of the combine. Yes the combine capitalize on it in Ep 2 & 3 trying to create a portal from the tower explosion but if they wanted to do that all along why didn't they just explode it themselves. So, G-man seems to want to fuck with the combine while also working for one of their yet to be shown allies, or at least someone who wants the combine to be on earth for some undisclosed purpose.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Lmao at half the thread being anti-SJW heroes getting triggered over fake news. 10/10, would read again.

On topic, I hope they go into G-mans purpose, and who his employers are. The employers have an interest in the combine staying on Earth apparently, yet the combine also imprisoned G-man...... confusing. And G-man is scared/enemy of the Vorts. Yet he places Freeman in HL2 with the seeming purpose of causing the tower to explode.... which seems against the interests of the combine. Yes the combine capitalize on it in Ep 2 & 3 trying to create a portal from the tower explosion but if they wanted to do that all along why didn't they just explode it themselves. So, G-man seems to want to fuck with the combine while also working for one of their yet to be shown allies, or at least someone who wants the combine to be on earth for some undisclosed purpose.

The Combine also had him locked up! That's very interesting to me, I always though they were semi-cooperative but it seems his employers don't much give a damn about them either. He even didn't outright dismiss the "nudge" being getting the combine off earth as against his goals, he just said that would be one very big nudge.

So Resistance, Vortigaunts, Combine, G-man and his employers are all distinct factions, g-man and the Combine seeming to occasionally tolorate each other's presence but aren't pals, wonder if there's room for an enemy of my enemy situation here.

Pakoe

This was the only way they could continue with the HL franchise. We've been waiting on EP3 for too long. It's better to 'reconstruct' everything.
Anyway, HL:A is the best game i've ever played and I can't wait to see what's gonna happen next.

Last edited:

perkelson

Heh half life story after hl1. Is this your first ride with shitty writing ? Relax. There is a way more of that in future.

Wonko_C

According to Geoff Keighley's The Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx, people at Valve seem to be interested in continuing making flat games. Perhaps Half-Life 3 will (disappointingly IMO) be a flat game.

Maybe they'll do both? Half-Life: Alyx will be their VR series and Half-Life: Freeman continue being the flat series.

perkelson

According to Geoff Keighley's The Final Hours of Half-Life: Alyx, people at Valve seem to be interested in continuing making flat games. Perhaps Half-Life 3 will (disappointingly IMO) be a flat game.

Ofcourse they want to do that. Alyx is poor half life game. It plays like somewhat better walking sim and enemies you fight have worse AI than those in HL1 back from 98.

Wonko_C

Ofcourse they want to do that. Alyx is poor half life game. It plays like somewhat better walking sim and enemies you fight have worse AI than those in HL1 back from 98.
First time I've heard anyone saying that. Unfortunately I can't play the game to see for myself, but the game is universally praised and even made some publication's GOTY lists.

Even if what you said were true, then it's a problem of the developers not being good enough at game design, and those issues would still be the same even if their next game wasn't in VR.

Diddy X

She saved her father and in exchange she has to to some "job" in G-man's dimension so there you have part of the next game, Half Life 3 is about Freeman trying to save Alyx whom you play as in the other dimension, together and with Alyx's new abilities they are capable of standing a chance against the combine.

perkelson

Even if what you said were true, then it's a problem of the developers not being good enough at game design, and those issues would still be the same even if their next game wasn't in VR.

It is not caused by poor skills of people who made it. It is caused by trying to shape game toward VR.

Imagine for a second that you have only mouse as an input and then you try to make FPS game only with mouse (without keyboard or anything other than that).

This is what "VR" currently stands for. Motion controls. Not as it should headset with 3D and headtracking which is actual definition of VR.

Reason why most of VR games are pretty shit is because developers behind them want to make VR game first instead of making good game first.

There are some types of games that naturally do well in VR like walking sims or standing shooters. And this is why you see basically 90% of games on VR being them or some form of them. Because motion controls suck for almost everything else.

There are some types of games that naturally do well in VR like walking sims or standing shooters. And this is why you see basically 90% of games on VR being them or some form of them. Because motion controls suck for almost everything else.
I'd argue that the best VR games I've played have been "seated" games that totally ignore VR controllers. Racing sims, flight sims, space sims, etc...

Beyond that, despite owning both the HTC Vive and Valve Index, I rarely play VR. It's a pain in the ass to set-up, especially room-scale stuff, and with a few exceptions, the VR experience just isn't worth the hassle.

Wonko_C

It is not caused by poor skills of people who made it. It is caused by trying to shape game toward VR.

Imagine for a second that you have only mouse as an input and then you try to make FPS game only with mouse (without keyboard or anything other than that).

This is what "VR" currently stands for. Motion controls. Not as it should headset with 3D and headtracking which is actual definition of VR.

Reason why most of VR games are pretty shit is because developers behind them want to make VR game first instead of making good game first.

Motion controls work just fine with VR shooters. Case in point: ports of non-vr shooters like Quake, Doom, Serious Sam, Half-Life, etc. and are perfectly playable without having to dumb down the enemies.

I really suck at aiming in shooters, with analog stick or with a mouse even, but in VR I play much better. Holding an "actual" gun in my hands feels more natural and intuitive than a controller or mouse ever would, and you can do things you aren't able to do non-vr, like dual-wielding and shooting at two different enemies at the same time.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
So little discussion about such a long awaited new game in the series, but VR is a real gatekeeper I guess

Seems they could go two ways with the ending, or both. Gordon is looking for Alyx, but what is Alyx doing as G-man's lackey? Many times we started the games with the G-man instructing us, could be a split campaign or two entries, I love that option.
There are several - several - ways to play the game without VR, but I would highly suggest you don't, this game.... man, this game.

Just to correct, she's not his 'lackey' - she is forcibly 'hired' by the G-Man as a consequence of being given the chance to change the future and save Eli.

Dog retrieves the crowbar and Eli hands it to Gordon, leaving the game on a cliffhanger.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
We're still in the baby stages of VR. Do you really want super fast and chaotic enemies in VR?

TriSuit666

Banned
First time I've heard anyone saying that. Unfortunately I can't play the game to see for myself, but the game is universally praised and even made some publication's GOTY lists.

To me, it's worth the cost of entry and currently the game is on half price on Steam.

I wouldn't say at all there is a level design issue - the game re-written several times to be more VR friendly. The first time you see a zombie coming towards you at head height, or see a barnacle tentacle dangling in front of you is really something I don't think would work in flat 2d.

Top Bottom