• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half Life: the story

Gamedude

Before I start playing Half Life².. can someone please tell me the Black Mesa story? I started playing Half Life SP 4-5 years ago.. I stopped playing it near the end, though.. can someone refresh the complete Half Life (1) story for me? I tried to google for some kind of fansite who wrote a little article about how the story evolved.. didn't find anything good, I found some but they were connected to Half Life².. and since I hate spoilers I didn't take the risk to spoil my hl² fun.

Gamedude

Mejilan said:
Why not just play Half Life Source? Isn't it any good?
I heared it's not a huge update compared to the original: better reflections, better water.. that's quite it.

though, there is a Half Life (1) Remake coming: Black Mesa Source (mod) but I'd like to start playing Half Life² in a few days.. it's not guaranteed that mod will be releasing soon.

Pachinko

I"m gonna assume that spoiling a storyline from a 1998 game is allright, if you haven't played the game by now and want to know its story I don't think its warrentted to use the spoiler tags.

Basically as I recall you beat the final boss and free the voritgants from slavery , and the FBI dude offers you a job with them.

The thing you really dont' find out is what happens between teh first and second game , they cut most of that stuff from the half life 2 storyline.

Basically the alien race that was behind the scenes in half life 1 invades the earth through one way portals , and the stuff that happened at black mesa is happening all over the world , people start to take refuge in the bigger cities , then these alien citedels appear and armed combine troops basically take over earth. It's also alluded that these aliens are stealing earths water supply , that's why all the shorelines you find in the game have old beached ships, and assumably also what those giant oil derrik like machines are for. So basically you get sent to fight off the combine and assumably save earth.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Everything you need to know, its a combined explanation of Half Life 1 and 2 so spoilers abound (but can easily be avoided by looking at the chapter titles).

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/

For those of you who don't clearly understand the story even after beating both titles, read this page immediately.

Rorschach

HL:Source isn't about a graphical upgrade, although there is one (barely). It's about the source engine. And it's not like all of a sudden the game sucks...Also, what do you care about an upgrade if you don't have the original to compare it to? Give it a spin.

late for work... uh oh, wrong button/theory/switch...bang!... run run run... ahhh a crowbar... facehuggers!... electricity dudes... a gun!.... strange dude .... hurray the soldiers!... uh oh, the soldiers!... bang bang jump jump ...even MORE aliens???... choo-choo train... new stuff ...valve puzzle... surface tension... bang bang jump jump... zen....

rod

Banned
Templar Wizard said:
late for work... uh oh, wrong button/theory/switch...bang!... run run run... ahhh a crowbar... facehuggers!... electricity dudes... a gun!.... strange dude .... hurray the soldiers!... uh oh, the soldiers!... bang bang jump jump ...even MORE aliens???... choo-choo train... new stuff ...valve puzzle... surface tension... bang bang jump jump... zen....

no

half life doesnt really have a story guy! :)
experiment goes wrong, aliens released, clean up crew come in, you go to xen.

everything else is in your mind. there is no narrative, just the gameplay, ie the obstacles are placed in your way and you fill in the pieces.

we never see the marines being called in, they just arrive.
thats what makes the game so good, from a 'game storytelling' pov.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SnowWolf said:
The Half-Life 2 story goes absolutely nowhere. Don't worry about being spoiled because there's nothing to be spoiled about.

That's pretty much been my feeling about the story of HL1 and HL2. 99% isn't explained and left to your imagination. That's why I think some people think it's so great, because they make it great in their minds when in fact the story is pretty flimsy with very little revealed.

In short. Accident happens, aliens show up, aliens kill people, people kill aliens, aliens + people try to kill you, Gman pops up here and there and disappears, you kill the boss at the end and then Gman talks to you and you don't know if he's a good guy or bad guy.

Tain

I didn't think anybody cared about Half-Life's actual story back in 1998 as much as they cared about the presentation of the story.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Dr_Cogent said:
That's pretty much been my feeling about the story of HL1 and HL2. 99% isn't explained and left to your imagination. That's why I think some people think it's so great, because they make it great in their minds when in fact the story is pretty flimsy with very little revealed.

In short. Accident happens, aliens show up, aliens kill people, people kill aliens, aliens + people try to kill you, Gman pops up here and there and disappears, you kill the boss at the end and then Gman talks to you and you don't know if he's a good guy or bad guy.

Actually, I think the story is really quite well thought out; quite the opposite of flimsy. If you look at when and where the G Man shows up and who he talks to, you'll find that it meshes so well with the Half-Life Saga Story Guide explanations, that it's almost scary good. I think Laidlaw has this more structured than you're giving him credit for. It's not just "accident happens" and you shoot stuff. Even if he did just piece the narrative together after the first game, he still deserves some credit for slotting it into something workable.

Also, and it's just personal preference, I don't want story shoved down my throat. I don't want to scan Space Pirate computers until I'm blue in the face, or read PDA messages on Mars to be force fed a story. The Gordon Freeman experience is some fantastic, and refreshingly different storytelling.

Top Bottom