• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 25yr developer Dario Casali commentary gameplay

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I’ve been designing video games for nearly 30 years. Half-Life was the first game I worked on when I joined Valve in November 1996. To celebrate its 25th birthday, I dug up old diary entries, screenshots, photos, documents and memories from the late 90s when Valve was just a collection of strangers, most of whom had never shipped a video game before. I’ll take you through the game sharing stories of what life was like at Valve back then, and what it was like working on and building Half Life, the game that put Valve on the map.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
the list of possible names :O

Level designer Dario Casali has started a YouTube series called Half-Life 25 Year Developer Commentary, in which he plays through the original game sharing stories on how it was made.

The gameplay is accompanied by items from Casali’s collection, including old diary entries, screenshots, photos and documents from the time of the game’s development.

Early into the first episode, Casali shares a document listing potential names for the game. According to Casali, when he joined Valve the game was already codenamed Quiver, but the studio was trying to think of another title for the game.

At the time of the document’s publication, the most popular potential titles for the game were Bent, Dirt, Lead, Pressure, Pressure Chamber, Pressure Pit or Screwed.

A secondary list of titles that were “still in the running” was also provided, and Half-Life was part of this list.

However, also in the list are Fallout, Free Radical and variations on Crysis (including Cry.Sys, Crisis, CrYsis and Krisis).

Xdrive05

Thank you for sharing!

While I know Black Mesa is a thing, I'll still take this moment to pimp Half-Life RTX (DF video) as it's probably the very best way to play the original. The path tracing really ads so much to the immersion of an already immersive game.

violence

Half-life had an update. Lots of things fixed. They brought back the original main menu! They also added half-life uplink which I think is the old demo, a small chunk of content that I’ve never played/not in the main game

Last edited:
Top Bottom