• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 2 Maptacular Pack available for download on XBL

Downloading now, all 5 new maps (Terminal, Backwash, Relic, Elongation, and Gemini) are availible on one 14244 block download.

Send me party invites if you want to get together and explore the new maps.

My GamerTag is the same as my GAF name.

Prine

Banned
Hell yeah, downloading now!!

:D :D Hopefully the kids on XBL need permission to download the maps from their parents, temporarily cutting 80 percent of the idiots on live!

Sho Nuff

Banned
Woah!!!

(Goes to XBL Content Downloader)

$11.99!? Fuck that!

(Quits and goes back to playing normal game)

Seriously, 5 or 6 bucks is fine, but once you break 10 bucks it's like "Herm, this is more than the most expensive cappuccino at Starbucks"

Juice

Obligatory troll that: Halo 1 > 2

However, I am genuinely curious why anyone would think that getting a two month jump on everyone else is worth 12 bucks, when you can only play the maps in a worthless little preview mode, where your rank will disappear as soon as the maps hit general circulation?

Isn't it pointless?

There's 5 maps, and you can play them all in Matchmaking next week. $12 isn't that bad. You can always buy the disc with all 9 maps for $20.

Prine

Banned
Just hook up with GAF folk as I usually do everyday, or invite some mates around for some Halo 2 action. Lots of ways around it.

ToyMachine228 said:
There's 5 maps, and you can play them all in Matchmaking next week. $12 isn't that bad. You can always buy the disc with all 9 maps for $20.

It ships today and should be in stores by tomorrow...if I remember correctly.

Going over the new maps now, got a nasty shock in Relic, tried to drive off the island to see how far the invisible wall was. Good news, there isn't any. Bad news, you now fall to your doom.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Juice said:
Obligatory troll that: Halo 1 > 2

However, I am genuinely curious why anyone would think that getting a two month jump on everyone else is worth 12 bucks, when you can only play the maps in a worthless little preview mode, where your rank will disappear as soon as the maps hit general circulation?

Isn't it pointless?
Well, you get to learn the ins and outs and glitches of each map before anyone else, therefore you can start cheating right away once they hit the public. Brilliant.

Drakken

And once again, new maps serve as an impetus to get me playing Halo 2 online again. I should be on later today (Drakken688). I think.

Ironclad

Not this time Bungie, not this time. I'll just rent it and download them to my harddrive. Turf and Sanctuary were good maps but they hardly ever came up, even in freaking Team Preview and when they did, you were cheated on. I'm not paying 12 for this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
you guys playing later today? cant wait to get cheated on the new maps when they implement them on matchmaking! $11.99 well spent

Bungie is releasing another Auto-Update to put an end to more cheats and mods next week. This will take care of the cheating problem on Turf, Sanctuary, etc.

I downloaded the maps, and walked around all five...Eagerly anticipating playing them in Matchmaking. For now, I'll just get some big custom games going, and play for fun. Like the old Halo: CE days.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I want these maps for Lan parties more than online. I'm pumped.

I'm getting the disc though hoping that I can use it on multiple boxes.

GhaleonEB

I'll buy the disc in a few days. The first four maps uniformly rocked, these are going to be awesome. I'm really looking forward to Terminal in particular - that train is going to cause some crazy carnage.

Zeo

Banned
How much is it, $12 or $20?

Either way, paying money for 5 extra maps in a simply above average game (not that I don't like it, but there's much better FPS out there) when they'l be free in a little less than two months is silly to me.

A quick run down description of each map...

Gemini- Most places call it the dud of the batch, but it doesn't look to bad. For those of you who just like to grab two guns and run, this is your map. It will be a decent Slayer map.

Relic- Going to be great for CTF and Assault. It's a pretty large map, but it's not too big. Reminds you of the Silent Cartographer from Halo:CE.

Backwash- Halo 2's Vietnam map. Lots of trees, fog, and similiar to the swamp single-player level in the first Halo. You can see and hear a 343 Guilty Spark clone flying around, and at one of the metal gates, you can hear the flood behind it. It's going to be a lot different from other maps due to the fog. Going to be awesome for Slayer games.

Terminal- Definitely a CTF/Assault map. Destructible trucks and cars ala Turf, the already infamous train in the middle...A decent sized map, due to different levels. Will likely feel similiar to Headlong.

Elongation- Longest from Halo: CE with a new coat of paint. Make sure you don't ride behind a crate the entire way, because they go down into holes like Colossus. Going to be a good map for CTF and Slayer.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ToyMachine228 said:
A quick run down description of each map...

Gemini- Most places call it the dud of the batch, but it doesn't look to bad. For those of you who just like to grab two guns and run, this is your map. It will be a decent Slayer map.

explain to me why this map has a beam rifle? it doesn't seem suited to the map at all

It's a Halo night after work tonight. I hope the new maps are more like Turf and Sanctuary in quality rather than Warlock and Containment.

Wario64 said:
explain to me why this map has a beam rifle? it doesn't seem suited to the map at all

I didn't spot the Beam Rifle in Gemini, but if there is one, then yes it is way out of place. Unless your a good sniper up close, which I can be, but it still doesn't make sense on the map.

GhaleonEB

ToyMachine228 said:
I didn't spot the Beam Rifle in Gemini, but if there is one, then yes it is way out of place. Unless your a good sniper up close, which I can be, but it still doesn't make sense on the map.

It's my understanding that the only good place to use it is perching at the top of the giant tree. But yeah, it's weird to have it at all.

Wolffen

The beam rifle MIGHT come in handy on the "balcony" area, assuming you can be left alone long enough to make some kills with it before someone comes up behind you.

Sai

Terminal's every bit as good as I expected it to be. Relic's pretty hot too.

Gemini, Elongation, and Backwash all surpassed by expectations a bit. Overall I'm pleased.

LET'S GET SOME CUSTOMS GOIN'!

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Circuit City is going to have the map pack for $14.99 this week. Personally, I'd rather spend $15 on a tangible object than $12 on a download.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Wario64 said:
or $5 on a rental

Where do you find game rentals for $5? The Blockbusters near me charge like $6.99 or so. For that price, I may as well just spend $8 more and keep the case and disc.

Syb

LowTecky said:
Yeah, get back to me on that.

The Maps can be used on multiple Xboxes.

I bought mine 5 days ago. :D (Apparently Microsoft stuffed up the shipping date in Oz) :lol

Bog

Junior Ace
Yusaku said:
Meh, I regret buying the first pack. I played it for two weeks and haven't even touched Halo 2 since.

That's longer than I play most $50 games.

Saurus

Minotauro said:
Circuit City is going to have the map pack for $14.99 this week. Personally, I'd rather spend $15 on a tangible object than $12 on a download.

Where did you see CC was going to have this on sale? Their website lists it for $19.99.

Grimlock

It's in this week's flyer, which also says they'll have it in Thursday. Fry's is also supposed to have it for $14.99, IIRC.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I'm going to check my local Circuit City for the map pack tomorrow so hopefully 24 hours from now I'm online playing the new maps. I got a chance to play them at E3 and was quite impressed with all of them. It'll be interesting to see how everyone responds to the new maps. I'm a big fan of Gemini and Elongation.

JayFro

Banned
I'm not quite understanding how the new maps will be available in matchmaking when only warlock was available in slayer matchmaking the first time around. I'm waiting til August, I feel like I wasted my money buying the other two maps when I never really played them. The only Halo 2 I play is rumble slayer and rumble training with a few guests, if these new maps can't immediately be used in those modes I'm waiting til August, it's already July.

JayFro

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
JayFro said:
I'm not quite understanding how the new maps will be available in matchmaking when only warlock was available in slayer matchmaking the first time around. I'm waiting til August, I feel like I wasted my money buying the other two maps when I never really played them. The only Halo 2 I play is rumble slayer and rumble training with a few guests, if these new maps can't immediately be used in those modes I'm waiting til August, it's already July.

JayFro

they will be available in only team preview (basically team skirmish with new maps included) until up to a week after they're free..

I hope for team preview they have 7 or 8 of the new maps and that's it. (so basically excluding containment and possibly excluding terminal)

JayFro

Banned
DopeyFish said:
they will be available in only team preview (basically team skirmish with new maps included) until up to a week after they're free..

I hope for team preview they have 7 or 8 of the new maps and that's it. (so basically excluding containment and possibly excluding terminal)

Thanks for the heads up, guess I'm waiting til august.

Why did I just pay $12 for these maps again? You can't even play them in matchmaking yet. Not even TEAM PREVIEW. That's fuckin lame. They shouldn't even release the maps if they're not ready for matchmaking yet.

You can say "Oh go get some friends" all you want, but I've got a 60+ list of friends and like 8 were on all day. Not only that, but they all seem to want to play glitch-finders or have problems with certain gametypes etc. so me and the 3 or 4 guys that want to play actual games on these new maps have to play 2 on 2 all the time and these new maps are just way too big for that. Its frustrating to pay for new maps and then not be able to play any REAL games on them.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Backwash is awesome for 2 on 2 CTF. I had 3 other people over tonight and we played about 5 hours of multiplayer. Backwash is an awesome level. Sometimes you can't even see someone that is five feet in front of you. Crazy stress.

We played some team sniper on Relic. Very nice map. Well laid out. Looks like it will be a ton of fun.

StRaNgE

Banned
Truelize said:
I want these maps for Lan parties more than online. I'm pumped.

I'm getting the disc though hoping that I can use it on multiple boxes.

Has anyone tried this yet????

IntestineBoy

Sasquatch of 1000 (hairy) colons
i think the map disc is $14 at circuit city this week. i think i might go get it there, and reap the benefits. i mean... 2 dollars isnt much to get the extra content, and being able to put it on multiple boxes.

Top Bottom