• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT| The Trials of Osiris

The Flash

Banned
I'm stuck there too and I'm about to give up for the night.

I managed to get down one somehow, but then died and none of my AI came to save me

I just figured it out.

Grab the incineration cannon, go to the left or right most side of the stage and cheese him from a distance.

So I feel like the
Locke vs. Chief/Chief is rogue "misdirection"
is basically just plastering over a significant rewrite. Because it just doesn't work. The in-game manifestation of those elements are incredibly weak at best, and it just seems so weird they'd
spend years hyping up this element that just ends up being discarded with the twist
and then implement it so poorly. I feel like
it WAS supposed to be a big story about Chief going in rogue and actually being hunted, but then half of it got scrapped to focus on the Cortana twist
. But I mean, I guess it could have just been badly done. I dunno. I'm so conflicted about this story man. On paper all the beats sound great, so in theory this would be one of my favorite stories. But how they actually put it all together... I just... Doesn't really work.

spootime

So I feel like the
Locke vs. Chief/Chief is rogue "misdirection"
is basically just plastering over a significant rewrite. Because it just doesn't work. The in-game manifestation of those elements are incredibly weak at best, and it just seems so weird they'd
spend years hyping up this element that just ends up being discarded with the twist
and then implement it so poorly. I feel like
it WAS supposed to be a big story about Chief going in rogue and actually being hunted, but then half of it got scrapped to focus on the Cortana twist
. But I mean, I guess it could have just been badly done. I dunno. I'm so conflicted about this story man. On paper all the beats sound great, so in theory this would be one of my favorite stories. But how they actually put it all together... I just... Doesn't really work.

I agree 1000%.
I'm seriously wondering if this was a destiny type of situation where the story was thrown out wholesale and rewritten.

It is that time of the forever again. Have you played yet?

Thought I'd start the campaign again.

#HireJuices2015

"We dont need to pay more req points! We just need the people at 343i to be smarter with the req points we already send them!

(Yes I finally had time to play today, pretty good so far.)

Manus

Anyone have the fotus armor unlock not showing up for them in the equipment section? I used my code and nothing is appearing.

BraXzy

So my aim has felt a little off for awhile. I just got out a controller I've never really used and realised something. My current controllers right stick is super sloppy with a crazy big deadzone -.-

Don't ask me how I didn't already notice, I'd just got used to it I guess.

I mean it was really awesome but yeah that went by way too quick :|

Yeah I had an amazing time, very fun levels.
The one where you walked around and talked with people was a bit odd, it didn't feel like it belonged in a Halo game. Same with the amount of action cutscenes.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So my aim has felt a little off for awhile. I just got out a controller I've never really used and realised something. My current controllers right stick is super sloppy with a crazy big deadzone -.-

Don't ask me how I didn't already notice, I'd just got used to it I guess.

Pro in no time now man.

PooBone

Just beat it on heroic, roughly 24 hours after I started it. It was cool, and I liked the story AND I liked the ending. I've read more of the books than most, though. I'm sure many will be very confused by what's going on with the reclaimers, the builders, the created, the creators, etc, etc.

My complaints
Remove the boss fights. Goddamn they're terrible.
Wish I didn't have to play as Locke for 80% of the game.
That's about it. Looks great, feels good, plays good. I hope we get to step foot on some more installations in Halo 6.

You laugh at people complaing about bad game design ?

Yeah, sure, that's what it is.

Well sunset overdrive is installing fine, and that was a ex-rental family video copy that actually has some scratches. Guess I'll have to hope for the best with Microsoft store tomorrow.

I hope it doesn't take them an hour to exchange the game.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Stop with the untagged spoilers guys. Even if it's not story, talking about mission times or main characters can fuck people's experiences up.

There's a spoiler OT for a reason. If you want to discuss the campaign, go over there.

Isocr4cy

Only problem I've encountered thus far is that the game isn't saving my campaign stats any more :(

You can see here that after reunion it no longer tracks the time, but still tracks intel/skulls and I'm still getting achievements. Wanted to see what my total time was gonna be but I guess I won't be able to do that any more.

Falchion

Managed to get up to a rank 8 tonight and am still having a blast. I've been using the Elite controller for about 4 hours and I'm still making a few mistakes but I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Madness

I absolutely hate quitters. Fuck. Why even start match to bail. Derank and ban the hell out of them. Puts whole team at disadvantage especially in first ten placement matches etc.

kevin1025

Banned
I ended up finally playing! 100% (?!) was the worst wait. But I finally played the first two missions. Loving what I'm seeing so far! I'll spend most of tomorrow on arena, most likely. I'm liking the sensitivity up to 6, though it does this weird thing where it turns slow at first and then picks up speed. I'm sure once you're playing against other people the sensitivity will need to be brought down, with everyone boosting and ducking shots constantly.

Only problem I've encountered thus far is that the game isn't saving my campaign stats any more :(

You can see here that after reunion it no longer tracks the time, but still tracks intel/skulls and I'm still getting achievements. Wanted to see what my total time was gonna be but I guess I won't be able to do that any more.

A lot of people are losing their stats. I was Oryx in SWAT, but now all my stats reset.

Yeah I had an amazing time, very fun levels.
The one where you walked around and talked with people was a bit odd, it didn't feel like it belonged in a Halo game. Same with the amount of action cutscenes.

It definitely didnt feel like Halo but I thought it was kind of cool actually. It was nice to explore that little town and I found it charming how a lot of people hated the Spartans there.

I really enjoyed the action cutscenes.
The fight between Chief and Locke was easy to follow though I thought MC would have wiped the floor with him. I guess its that old age catching up to him. Its cute how Locke called him "Sir" though hah.

I thought it was funny how nonchalant
Blue Team was when they were just portal hopping. Gotta give it to Osiris though, they bailed out of the elevator and into the Pelican in style, especially Locke. Both Locke and Chief are cool in their own ways.

Really? I love how they blink all over the place and try to out maneuver you. They also add a nice contrast to the Covenant.
I think they are way less annoying in Halo 5. In 4 they were seemingly endless bullet sponges and if you happened to knock their shield off and then they teleported you got screwed, as that was enough time for the Knights to regain their shields. Mind you, I only speak from Legendary experience, as that's the only way I play Halo. And in Legendary they sure are a pain in Halo 4! I find the Prometheans much easier to handle and bring down on Legendary in 5.

Kibbles

Anyone else's games not counting the past 30min or so? Our whole party every game gets an error when loading the stats and no games counted towards ranking.

The Flash

Banned
Let me ask this as far as the story goes. Does it make sense why I have to play as Locke for 80% of the campaign? I really don't care about him or Osiris (minus Buck of course) and hearing that I have to play as him for almost the entire game is both aggravating and extremely disappointing.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone else feel like it's very unheroic and unChief-like to ask for assistance (when you go down)? Seems to bizarre to me. I'd honestly rather die, makes me feel like a wimp as chief. Also, I'm not really feeling 60FPS to be honest. I know there's a chance I'll adapt to it, but everything feels so floaty and weird right now. Like I'm watching what's happening rather than participating. *shrug*

malfcn

Two missions in and do far so good.
Of course I saw the into before..
But sitting in front of a 60'' with Astro pumping. Felt like a kid in a movie theater with a huge grin.

EBreda

Got to mission 6 out of 15 now.
Played Chief for ONE damn mission so far. Disappointed to say the least.

Other than that, one of the 6 missions so far was one I had to talk to some people. It felt EXTREMELY limited, badly designed, emotionless checklist stuff you see in basic/amateur game design.

It seems no one at 343 ever helped developing a walk simulator or a dialogue driven game. It sucked so much I almost quit right there. No way to care for any of those npcs.

I don't know, kinda disappointed so far.

Halo 5's length issues are entirely to do with the overall plan, not how they segmented it. I always liked shorter missions anyway.

I like meaty missions that feel like an adventure, but they don't always end up staying consistent. The Covenant from Halo 3 for example is great up until the Flood ending.

Random17

I like meaty missions that feel like an adventure, but they don't always end up staying consistent. The Covenant from Halo 3 for example is great up until the Flood ending.
The Covenant is the best example though. Other examples include missions like Halo or Winter Contingency or Infinity. They are boring in comparison and would be better suited to being split.

Top Bottom