• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeta Oni

So I got one of these new xbox controllers with the headphone jack, is there an easy way to get it to stop sending sound out to my speakers and just to my headphones?

Double tap the home button (big glowy x) and scroll down to the settings tab, it looks like a gear. There should be a bunch of sound options there for setting up a headset and playing the volume through the headset.

There's people who betray for power weapons... and those people are assholes.

But there's an entire circle of hell reserved for obnoxious motherfuckers who betray in Breakout over the goddamned battle rifle.

Pathetic.

Ugh. That makes me question humanity. What kind of dipshit would do that? Come forward.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
you guys always wating more. cant we just enjoy the amazing game we got for what it is?

Double tap the home button (big glowy x) and scroll down to the settings tab, it looks like a gear. There should be a bunch of sound options there for setting up a headset and playing the volume through the headset.

Yeah, they change headphone volume, and chat mix. But when you plug in headphone on ps4 you can change your sound output from headphones or sound system. I was hoping there was something similar on Xbox.

Caja 117

I can see timing effecting modes like Forge or firefight. I can see timing being a reason to omit things like daily and weekly challenges. I can also see timing affecting the number of dev made modes at launch.

But I really cant see how timing would prevent them from having the old modes back. Like I said, I'm no programmer, but if you have mechanisms for nuetral flag, how much time would it take to impliment odd ball? if you have strongholds how long should it take to implement KotH. If you have FFA slayer how hard could it be to impliment Juggernaut. You've got team slayer, why no VIP.

These game modes, at a technical level are minor variations of the gamemodes that shipped with the game. They don't need new maps or anything.

It might look easy, but there could be factors thay we as non developers and not having grasp of what the project managing if a game like this could tell. And when the time came the desision was made and not lightly, and I bet a lot of analisis, brain storming and hard choices were made to come up with the end product and 343 knew better than anyone that the comunity was not going to welcome this.

Bare in mind that at least KotH and Odball are the same type of objective which is time based on non static objective, basically KotH is the same oddball with the difference that the objective is static in one point, assault is a reverse CTF but with timer plus explosion animation and one flag has a different scoring and scheme than any other gametype: Defense and Offense changing by rounds.

Strider

you guys always wating more. cant we just enjoy the amazing game we got for what it is?

We are? I love this game...

But that doesn't mean the product is perfect and in a discussion forum of course people are going to mention what they'd like to see in future updates

Products don't improve when fans stay silent

The menu music 🎶 is awesome btw. I've just been browsing GAF while on the main menu and my ears perked up as the track went on. Amazing work.

Zeta Oni

Yeah, they change headphone volume, and chat mix. But when you plug in headphone on ps4 you can change your sound output from headphones or sound system. I was hoping there was something similar on Xbox.

Oh, you mean one or the other. I normally just mute my tv and play with the headset, but yeah I dont think theres a way to specifically set it to just the headset.

Ask yourself. What is love? :p

Giving 343i tough love because we love this game and we know its potential.

Were a bunch of coaches telling the qb to become better and live its full potential.

Were a bunch of relatives telling the cook it needs more seasoning.

Haha im jk.

BraXzy

The menu music 🎶 is awesome btw. I've just been browsing GAF while on the main menu and my ears perked up as the track went on. Amazing work.

I love the menu music. My GF found it so calming that she found the track on Spotify and listened to it to get to sleep xD

Oh, you mean one or the other. I normally just mute my tv and play with the headset, but yeah I dont think theres a way to specifically set it to just the headset.

That's too bad. Its no big deal to hit mute on my sound system, it just woulda been nice to do from the console. Oh well!

GOOD GOD THAT REQ JACKPOT

ojQgtSc.png

I'm super patient. I've put in near 30 hours now so I'm more than satisfied with what we have.

Dollars per hour I'm 2 bucks or so which is 20x better than an arcade racing game :)

There are only a few small issues I have with colour representations. Other than that I want to see them continue to execute on their content plan which has so far been pretty much flawless.

Decided to check my REQ collection since I've been spamming bronzes and silvers for over two weeks now. "Surely I must be getting close!"

Nope... dear god there's so many whites and greens. SO MANY.

daedalius

I really don't get how they don't have a daily story mission for RP. Or scoring. Or any sort of firefight.

Yea, back to commonwealth

I really don't get how they don't have a daily story mission for RP. Or scoring. Or any sort of firefight.

Yea, back to commonwealth
It's weird how after two game that had daily and weekly challenges, they axed them in this one. Despite the fact that with the REQ system, this is the perfect Halo game for daily and weekly challenges.

JackHerer

I am just kind of puzzled about why the game shipped the way it did? The multiplayer seemed practically finished a year ago when they had the beta. They also had an extra year of dev for this one. I know a lot of time was probably spent on the engine, optimization, etc. but it still does not explain why this game is missing so much. What happened?

This is exactly what Halo needs! Plenty of people play Black Ops 3 just for zombies and I know I'll probably be playing Gears 3 horde on BC until Gears 4 comes out.

I completely agree that it's too serious. I miss infection, oddball, grifball, etc. None of my real life friends are still playing this anymore and it's sad because Halo 2/3 used to be our go-to game. The game has superb mechanics and movement options, but it's missing the great maps and modes to go along with that base. I'm not super into Slayer like I once was and Warzone/Breakout feel like quick diversions rather than modes with any real staying power.

What game are your friends playing to fill the gap?

Why are they playing that game instead?

Population numbers don't matter to me unless I can't get into a full Warzone match whenever I want. Hasn't happened yet. 10k people playing at any one time is usually more than enough to get me my entertainment value out of MP. As I understand, 343s content plan basically has the game being relevant and fresh for 6 months at least. I imagine they have figured out more week to week improvements and updates than Activision has with CoD.

I am just kind of puzzled about why the game shipped the way it did? The multiplayer seemed practically finished a year ago when they had the beta. They also had an extra year of dev for this one. I know a lot of time was probably spent on the engine, optimization, etc. but it still does not explain why this game is missing so much. What happened?

Like I said above, to maintain months of long tail content and remain relevant in the game media. Let them run their plan.

In regards to player population seemingly dropping everyday more and more:

The install base on the Xbox one isn't there, which makes it all the more important for 343 to have a proper launch.

They NEEDED to be perfect, and while they should be commended for a relatively great launch in terms networking and bugs, they failed to deliver a system that keeps casual players coming back.

Halo isn't halo without whacky custom games, silly theater clips and pictures and that colorful, playful art/aesthetic.

It's so serious in tone most of the time and it's really overbearing to be so competitive and serious all the time.

I want to spend 50% of my time playing with a to4 trying to rank up, and the other 50% I want to spend playing hide and seek on backwash, or assault on a proper btb map, hell, even juggernaut on colorful, non competitive dev made maps.

These key experiences are missing, and it's depressing.

It's gone from a fun, playful, yet competitive shooter to an eSport focused game with a super serious atmosphere. Not to mention its viability as an eSport isn't perfect either (powerful autos, strict matchmaking system making it seem dead, radar, etc).

Things like firefight don't keep pros or eSports scenes around or thriving but they keep your population around and makes the game fresh and lively. Weekly and daily challenges, social playlists, whacky gametypes, you know, THE FUN STUFF, is what I miss the most right now.

This sustain plan needs to be shifted and fast forwarded, ASAP.

Sorry for the typos and bad grammar, using my iphen.

Rant over.

100% agree.

Let me add what I wrote on my FB:
Kotaku wrote an article about the current status of Halo recently. I am not totally agree with them on many of their points and this proves that we ALL have different opinions and different tastes on why we love Halo BUT I do agree that the Halo universe for the main games (H4/H5) is really not as great as it was during the Bungie time (different art style, new vision etc.).

I understand why and the reason is simple: they are not the same guys, they are not Bungie! Let me explain:

Many, many things changed in the Lore, design etc. at the point that the universe seems almost a new IP for most of the fans. Adding new stuff is good but be sure that they match the universe they are supposed to be in AND do not change everything that was created before like for example the new design of the Foward unto Dawn in H4 then switch back again to the classic design in H2A etc. Without talking about gameplay or multiplayer, Halo 2 anniversary (and soon Halo Wars 2 apparently) shows that it’s possible for 343i (and their partners) to do a classic Halo. Halo really got an identity crysis today, the community is split (Bungie fan, 343i fan, old classic gameplay fan, new modern gameplay fan and so on.)

I wish to say one thing to 343i: Star Wars VII is coming and it is one of the most anticipate movie of all time for one single reason: JJ Abrams keeps and re-use the original codes of the first trilogy, he uses what made Star Wars GREAT for everyone.

I do understand that’s it’s hard to innovate, create new stories and contents in a such big universe and at the same time it's also difficult trying to not been stuck in the past with the creation of someone else (Jason Jones etc.).

In addition, as a gaming company the VG market is now full of shooters, the fear to be outdated is higher than in the past specially if you do not follow the tendencies (Call of Duty, Esport, VR in the future etc.) even more when you are a so big IP for Microsoft and the Xbox. But when you are here to do only one thing - sequels of a huge franchise - you need to make sure that everything that you create in this universe - Games, series, books - remain in this case “Halo” with all the aspects that make this game an HALO; an Halo game is not just another random IP. If you change so deeply the look, the protagonists, the sounds... the feeling and the magic that they give will disappear especially for a universe so iconic, unique and of course loved.

I do not like very much Halo 5 at the moment (but I hope the update will fix that) and I’m sad to say this because it’s the first Halo game that I really don’t like: too much focus on pro, miss MANY of the classic features that I think they are a part of the legacy and I do not find the game really fun on my side but I think 343i is very talented, the staff is amazing and kind so guys you have all the cards to do of Halo the best universe ever. I feel so sad when my mind comes back to Halo Reach and before, when Halo was truly the king for all the different type of players: casuals, pro, artists, lore fans...

Simply, don't forget who is your public: don't try to change it or sadly I think you will lose both side at the end. You can like, dislike, share with me your opinion if you feel to do so of course. We are all here speaking of that for one single reason, we do love Halo and we want more of course: next one #HaloWars2 and it look so damn amazing and feels so classic Halo for the universe at least according to the first trailer... But 343i is not doing it directly it's Creative Assembly.

Ramirez

The MP seemed practically finished because they demo'd out a small slice of a beta? I don't think you understand how game dev works.

Jumeira

Banned
^^ I understand the complaints about features and maps, i get that. What i dont get and can never accept is *some* fans asking to go back to classic halo without sprint etc. I played Halo 3 (MCC) multi today with a friend just to remind myself, its unplayable, by that i mean its so dated and slow. Movement is basic as is the combat compared to 5.

You should go back to those games, they're good examples of the past but should stay there - i couldn't exit the game fast enough. It dawned upon me today, while sad, that old school Halo shouldnt be recreated or mimicked, but remain as an inspiration. I played Halo 3 for 2.5 years, almost everyday since release, it was sad accepting this truth today.

What a relief to fire up Halo 5, my whole party (remained friends since Halo 2 days) were in agreement.

^^ I understand the complaints about features and maps, i get that. What i dont get and can never accept is *some* fans asking to go back to classic halo without sprint etc. I played Halo 3 (MCC) multi today with a friend just to remind myself, its unplayable, by that i mean its so dated and slow. Movement is basic as is the combat compared to 5.

You should go back to those games, they're good examples of the past but should stay there - i couldn't exit the game fast enough. It dawned upon me today, while sad, that old school Halo shouldnt be recreated or mimicked, but remain as an inspiration. I played Halo 3 for 2.5 years, almost everyday since release, it was sad accepting this truth today.

What a relief to fire up Halo 5, my whole party (remained friends since Halo 2 days) were in agreement.

The BR in Halo 3 sounds and feels so anemic. Halo 2 anniversary felt old enough and it was redone. The memories of those games are way different from the realities of those games. Halo 5 at least brings something new to the table. It is the ideal base from which to move forward with.

Launching BTB as a Ranked only, Forge map only playlist? Very questionable decision in 2015 to be honest.

Bringing in so many pro players? Self-funding e-sport pushes?

Feels like Halo's multiplayer has been pushed to an extreme competitive place, that obviously doesn't sit well with the larger player base.Then you have the opposite extreme with Warzone - with too much unique content and zero ability to use outside of that exclusive mode.

I just want my bread and butter Halo experiences. Halo 5 has the best Halo sandbox, the best and tightest controls, the best online backend. It has a lot going for it but it lacks meaningful central content - and too much exclusive edge content.

• Warzone should be a customizable experience to play with friends
  • BTB should have been available at launch with developer made maps
  • Social playlists should have been present from day one
  • Breakout should have been kept out of Arena
  • Forge should have been available day one
  • We finally have the netcode tech to make Firefight work on a technical level - where the hell is it?!
  • All REQ content should be available across all multiplayer modes
  • Oddball, Assault, Infection, Griffball - all these playmodes should have been available day one with an Objective playlist
I mean, why bother making so many variants of weapons and vehicles if you can never use them? Custom game variants and maps could be flourishing with that kind of content.

Halo 5 has all the ingredients to make a perfect Halo game. A game that would appeal to casual players, hardcore fans, competitive types and everyone in between. The game deserves to have a healthier post launch life than Halo 4.

A lot of people during the time of Halo 4 thought that Halo needs to be competitive to be at the top again, but I usually think it just people who thinks Halo needs to be a certain game-style that they liked better.

I don't know why 343 did they way they did the playlists, but it probably wasn't a smart decision. They probably thought they would satisfy one part of the community with one playlist with a certain gameplay-style and another different one. Warzone has all the 'causal' stuff like loadouts and mods and Arena doesn't. From what I know BTB was really popular in halo 4 and large battle games are popular too; the decisions probably came from somewhere from there.

I think 343 will put out a lot of causal gamemodes soon or later; right now they are doing things in small parts. On the topic of Firefight, personally I founded Firefight to be really repetitive and not as fun as me3, and in my time in Halo Reach most people used Firefight just to get Cr and not play the more classic Firefight when it was available in matchmaking. All it was in the end was Firefight arcade. 343 probably wanted a more structured and narrative driven pve mode, but not people played that in the end either. Personally, I just think they should create generated procedurally levels with different objectives kind of like warframe, but also have wave-based levels too.

Haruko

Did the "Goal Line Defense" medal get changed to "Stopped Short"?

I liked Goal Line Defense more... (it's for Killing an enemy who is about to score in CTF)

Ace and vin are 100% right. Us diehards can wait for the sustain plan, but 95% of the people who bought it will be gone. I have really high hopes for a content filled H6 being hugely successful. All the pieces are there.

Nowise10

Ace and vin are 100% right. Us diehards can wait for the sustain plan, but 95% of the people who bought it will be gone. I have really high hopes for a content filled H6 being hugely successful. All the pieces are there.

I feel like since Halo:Reach I've seen "Next game they will get it. It is their last chance!".

Haruko

Why do we have to wait for H6?

If the right content comes to H5, it should be fine; look at how Taken King bolstered Destiny.

We know the File Browser is almost assuredly in the works from early UI screens, and Forge is coming... plus social playlists...

So Sorry Funknonw, We got matched, Im just not that good in this level
It's all good :] Halo's always fun, even when I drop the occasional negbomb lol

Shoot me an invite if you want to party up, same goes for anyone else. No mic atm if that's alright. GT same as username.

Welfare

I feel like since Halo:Reach I've seen "Next game they will get it. It is their last chance!".

"Guys, everyone hates armor abilities and bloom. 343 even fixed that stuff! Halo 4 will be great!"

Halo 4 is the closest CoD clone in the entire series.

"Guys, everyone hates this game and no one plays it. 343 sorta fixed the problems 6 months later, but still! Halo 5 will be great!"

Halo 5 has amazing gameplay but shit launch everything.

"Guys, all 343 has to do is make sure Halo 6 launches with all the modes at launch and it'll be the best Halo game! Halo 6 will be great!"

Halo 6 is now a MOBA.

Why do we have to wait for H6?

If the right content comes to H5, it should be fine; look at how Taken King bolstered Destiny.

We know the File Browser is almost assuredly in the works from early UI screens, and Forge is coming... plus social playlists...

Simultaneously, where is all the wacky shit in Destiny? Isn't there. Meanwhile it is insanely popular due to the core experience being interesting. Halo doesn't need niche playlists for wacky antics, it simply needs to build on its own pillars.

BokehKing

Banned
Did anyone stop to think that 343i is probably very aware of all your points but if they put out more play modes now, it may thin the player base out too much?

I think the best time to capitalize on an introduction to casual playlists or just....playlists we grew up with (king of the hill/odd ball ect) is Christmas Day

Christmas Day represents new console owners and people getting this game for the first time, an influx of players as you would.

But yeah, would love a social playlist / no bans from accidental kills from people jumping in front of my line of fire, or throwing grenades into zone for KOH. I'm not a kid anymore , I can't play halo super serious anymore and it seems like that's the only option at the moment. I just want to see the game become more accessible...fun. I just want to play halo and have fun, not worrying about dragging the rest of the team down, knowing their future ranks partly depends on if I can carry my weight in the match . That's not the type of pressure when playing this game that I want. I just want to run around and shoot things

Simultaneously, where is all the wacky shit in Destiny? Isn't there. Meanwhile it is insanely popular due to the core experience being interesting. Halo doesn't need niche playlists for wacky antics, it simply needs to build on its own pillars.
PVE
Cooperative play with friends and clans mates
Weekly resets/quests that prompt your friends to complete challenges whether it be night falls, heroics or the raid.
Yeah the core game play is fun but taking raids on with your friends and when you finally get that piece of raid equipment prompts you to do it all again

They could easily have "raids" in halo. There were 3/4? worlds we visited in halo 5. Just use some spots on each as them. Or be a simulation... whatever cannon they need to.
They have an arsenal of content to back up any place they build.

But i guess the execution to make it right will be another 3 years. :( gotta be perfect for a halo franchis. Cant be half ass just to get out the door.

Hopefully by june its a brand new game with content out the wazooooo

BokehKing

Banned
They could easily have "raids" in halo. There were 3/4? worlds we visited in halo 5. Just use some spots on each as them. Or be a simulation... whatever cannon they need to.
They have an arsenal of content to back up any place they build.

But i guess the execution to make it right will be another 3 years. :( gotta be perfect for a halo franchis. Cant be half ass just to get out the door.

Hopefully by june its a brand new game with content out the wazooooo
Would work with 3 others humans but with AI?? There would be problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom