• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Handheld gaming; Is it a valid alternative to consoles?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Well I have been on the fence deciding if I should get a DS for its affordable Australian price. I have owned a GBA for a few years but only have ALTTP, Yoshi’s Island, Pokemon Ruby and Golden Sun. The screen is so bad I don’t think it does some of these games justice and having to play it under a lamp I don’t feel like buying new games.

The main problem is I have no practical use for a handheld system, I have a nice flat screen telly in my room with component hook up’s for my consoles. I rarely travel so the bottom line is

Whenever I am playing a handheld I could be playing a console.

GBA and DS games like Final Fantasy 1-2, Zelda: MC, Zelda 1, 2, Mario & Luigi SS 1 & 2, Metroid 0 mission, Metroid fusion, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Advance 2,4

Seem to interest me more then a lot current gen offerings and upcoming 360 titles.

Maybe a DS would get me catching more public transport?

Bebpo

Banned
Not at all.

I only play handhelds when I'm traveling which is like once a month or less. I thought PSP/DS might've changed that, but after the initial wow factor both sit on the shelf and haven't been touched outside of plane flights. If you have a house/dorm/cave with power, consoles are the only way to game IMO.

Speevy

Banned
If you like playing on the go, sure.

Otherwise, I don't think so.

The DS is interesting, but not interesting enough to buy over a console.

Jonnyram

I think it depends on your lifestyle.
Raising a kid means I can't sit in the same place for more than 10 minutes, so the two new handhelds hitting at this time has been a real lifesaver for me and my hobby. I don't get time to play consoles until the little one's gone to bed and even then I usually have a ton of housework to do that I can't do while he's awake.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nah not quite. I'm going travelling and have sold all my consoles and got a ds as a replacement, it's great especially since I never gameboy gamed, so that is tiding me over until the drought breaks in a week, I would say it's a very close alternative actually. I really like flicking it on and playing in the lounge and chatting to my flatmates while we watch tv. it's a little more social.

but you can't play halo 2 on a DS/PSP. It's missing out on the big hitters thats gonna bum me out.mainly.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Great advice guys, I think I will pick up some more multiplayer games for my Cube and Xbox (coz I live in a share house) rather then get a DS. Bomberman Generation looks like multiplayer gold.

my Gamecube is still in Dallas TX

I have only been playing DS games since the holidays.

Zelda is the only thing that will make me go back to Dallas to get my GC

Dragmire

Hell yeah. There are some awesome games you can't have on consoles. Two perfect examples: Wario Ware: Twisted and Kirby's Canvas Curse (God, I hate that name). But there's also lots of fantastic games that could be done on consoles that aren't because of their 2D nature. The Gameboy library is fantastic.

I don't play the original Xbox anymore. It's an XBMC machine... although now I've finished downloading / watching 24 & Alias, I'll probably get back to playing games on it. I haven't really been enthralled with a game since MGS3 / RE4.

I don't play the DS much, but when I do I enjoy it. Usually on the train, on the bus or at home in bed... but I can see myself playing it more in and around the house once the online stuff hits. When the online stuff is more common on PSP and DS, they will be every bit as viable as home consoles as far as I'm concerned.

Within the year in fact I'll probably consider DS > Gamecube. And I loved the Gamecube.

Speevy

Banned
This is my perspective, and mine alone.

Handheld gaming is a development diversion.

Nintendo EAD is releasing ONE game this year. DKJB was very nice, but where are the other games? Mario Dancing? Mario Soccer? Mario Party 25? All third party games.

Heck, graphics aren't even a factor. I would actually buy console versions of Kirby's Canvas Curse, Animal Crossing DS, Meteos, and Castlevania for my Gamecube.

I'm sure 90 million PS2 owners could give Lumines more sales than it's gotten, at the very least.

It's bad enough that console-only gamers have to miss PC-exclusive genres, but this is ridiculous.

I'd prefer a one platform focus. Platform meaning console, in this case. Develop handheld games, but make sure those games make it to the consoles in some form. Like Wario Ware Mega Microgames and Zelda FSA. Both of which I'm about to buy, coincidentally.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:

Nintendo EAD is releasing ONE game this year. DKJB was very nice, but where are the other games? Mario Dancing? Mario Soccer? Mario Party 25? All third party games.

Heck, graphics aren't even a factor. I would actually buy console versions of Kirby's Canvas Curse, Animal Crossing DS, Meteos, and Castlevania for my Gamecube.

I'm sure 90 million PS2 owners could give Lumines more sales than it's gotten, at the very least.

It's bad enough that console-only gamers have to miss PC-exclusive genres, but this is ridiculous.

I'd prefer a one platform focus. Platform meaning console, in this case. Develop handheld games, but make sure those games make it to the consoles in some form. Like Wario Ware Mega Microgames and Zelda FSA. Both of which I'm about to buy, coincidentally.

Spev do you know if Zelda FSA is any good just two player? Coz i got a friend that would go nuts over it, same goes for FF:CC.

Speevy

Banned
Do The Mario said:
Spev do you know if Zelda FSA is any good just two player? Coz i got a friend that would go nuts over it, same goes for FF:CC.

I've heard that it's great as a single player game, and fantastic with friends. I'm about to pick it up for the former experience.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Two things...

First, portable game systems (aka "handhelds") are perfectly viable gaming platforms in their own right. They have their own share of unique games which more than justify their purchase. Could (almost) all of those games be made for a non-portable system? Of course, but they aren't. You choose between an Xbox, PS2, and GC for the games... just toss portable gaming in there too.

Second, "console" is a rather silly term to use when referring to video game systems. Game systems haven't been "consoles" for quite a while... the 2600 was a console, but I don't think any modern system fits in that catagory. I just call game systems systems, whether they have their own display or require a television.

(But I'm ranting.)

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
no, maybe when GBA was putting out the kinds of games you couldn't find on consoles but not now that DS and PSP seem to be featuring games of greater similarity to console titles such that they now provide inferior games on tinier screens

DDayton

Ash Housewares said:
no, maybe when GBA was putting out the kinds of games you couldn't find on consoles but not now that DS and PSP seem to be featuring games of greater similarity to console titles such that they now provide inferior games on tinier screens

Well, the PSP might be, but I haven't seen anything quite like the upcoming GBA and DS release lists on any current home system.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
DavidDayton said:
Well, the PSP might be, but I haven't seen anything quite like the upcoming GBA and DS release lists on any current home system.

fraid I'm gonna have to come out and say I don't consider touching to be a valid alternative

DDayton

Ash Housewares said:
fraid I'm gonna have to come out and say I don't consider touching to be a valid alternative

Tsk tsk. You're talking about input devices, I'm talking about games. There are a slew of great games appearing on the GBA/DS which aren't appearing on any "traditional home system"... and several in genres which are getting rather weak or nonexistant on home systems.

If you're asking if the games will be as flashy, then the answer has to be "no" -- but when it comes to the gameplay be a viable alternative to a non-portable system, I'm really rather surprised at your reluctance to accept them.

Oxymoron

Do The Mario said:

Two player FSA is the most fun I've had gaming last year.

Soul4ger

01.jpg

"Heck yes!"

Handheld gaming isn't that great to me. I seldom travel so when I play it, its when I'm watching TV. I can do both at once but its more listen and glance and play. Other than that, its not worth it. Although there may be a time when I might have to travel somewhere suddenly, I can take a handheld along.

Consoles > Handhelds
GB Player > DS > GBA SP

Erdrick

Indeed it is a valid alternative. Ever since handheld's have had backlit screens that did NOT need a million AA batteries to run for 2 hours, I have considered handheld gaming just as equal to consoles in terms of deserving of my game time.

Now with the DS and PSP, the technology is really getting better. All I do now is pretty much use my handhelds to either play games that are every bit as good as their console bretheren. Ridge Racer on the PSP is a prime example of this. Boktai and Fire Emblem are other great examples, and Boktai is a better one, since you could never really feasibly do that on a console. In concept, of course.

Handhelds are just really great at the moment.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't look at handhelds as an alternative; they certainly have their place as far as when they get the most use, but instead I think they're mainly worth getting for the exclusive games that they have. As a gamer I can't pass up on titles like Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Zelda Minish Cap, Metal Gear Ac!d, Made in Wario, Ridge Racers, etc.

Bebpo said:
Not at all.

I only play handhelds when I'm traveling which is like once a month or less. I thought PSP/DS might've changed that, but after the initial wow factor both sit on the shelf and haven't been touched outside of plane flights. If you have a house/dorm/cave with power, consoles are the only way to game IMO.

Didn't you say you already put something like 70 hours of game play into Minna No Golf alone? :)

How the fuck is handheld gaming not a valid alternative to consoles? You're playing the same kind of games on the handheld as you are on the console(as the case is with the PSP). The only difference is the console has a larger screen. A good game is a good game is a good game.

Lyte Edge

SonicMegaDrive said:
How the fuck is handheld gaming not a valid alternative to consoles? You're playing the same kind of games on the handheld as you are on the console(as the case is with the PSP). The only difference is the console has a larger screen. A good game is a good game is a good game.

Being able to play on a big screen makes a lot of difference to people, and the technology for a handheld is always going to be behind the consoles. I just see handhelds and consoles as going hand in hand; it seems that some of the companies do as well, what with the connectivity features and all. (Which I don't like right now; FF: CC and Zelda Four Swords would have been a hell of a lot better without having to have a GBA for multiplayer.)

You're certainly right about a "good game is a good game is a good game," but for a lot of people, the question is "Why would I bother playing something that doesn't look as good and potentially doesn't play as well (due to lack of buttons, analog sticks, etc.) on a tiny screen instead of playing something on my TV?"

Anyway, sales for the Gameboy systems alone seems to indicate which is more popular worldwide. Hanhhelds may not be a valid alternative for Gaming-Age, but out in the real world, yeah, they can be.

Oogami

Banned
Speevy said:

The DS games you mentioned won't even work on the GCN, or as well as on the DS.

Nintendo EAD makes 2 GCN games this year: Zelda GCN and Jungle Beat. You get Fire Emblem and Kirby GCN too that's from Nintendo internal teams. And I don't know what's your problem with Mario Soccer and Baseball anyway, both are shaping up to be great games.

And Wario Ware GBA and the GCN version are both good at different things. GBA version is for single player, while GCN version is only good for multi. So GCN version doesn't replace the GBA version at all. Zelda FSA while a great game and all, is a waste to make for the GCN. Cuz it doesn't take advantages of the GCN power and controls. Might as well make it GBA only and at a GBA game price and not the original $50 price tag.

My point is that a lot of handheld games don't translate well into console games at all. Like Pokemon for consoles simply don't work as well because it takes away the ease of trading/battling in handheld. WarioWare for consoles you take away the fun of simple controls and mini games that are much more fun when played in handheld. Tetris, puzzles games in general are the same too.

Then DS games and WarioWare: Twisted of course won't work as well on consoles. So all I've to say is that handheld gaming allows more ideas and different types of games and more gaming greatness into the gaming industry, that console gaming cannot replace.

Lyte Edge said:
Being able to play on a big screen makes a lot of difference to people, and the technology for a handheld is always going to be behind the consoles. I just see handhelds and consoles as going hand in hand; it seems that some of the companies do as well, what with the connectivity features and all. (Which I don't like right now; FF: CC and Zelda Four Swords would have been a hell of a lot better without having to have a GBA for multiplayer.)

You're certainly right about a "good game is a good game is a good game," but for a lot of people, the question is "Why would I bother playing something that doesn't look as good and potentially doesn't play as well (due to lack of buttons, analog sticks, etc.) on a tiny screen instead of playing something on my TV?"

Anyway, sales for the Gameboy systems alone seems to indicate which is more popular worldwide.

A few good points. Also, PSP is a bit more of an expensive alternative($250) to the PS2($150). But of course, you're talking to a guy who gets most of his next generation kicks from this GBASP.

Lyte Edge

SonicMegaDrive said:
A few good points. Also, PSP is a bit more of an expensive alternative($250) to the PS2($150). But of course, you're talking to a guy who gets most of his next generation kicks from this GBASP.

Price won't mean anything in the long run. The PS2 started out at $299.99. It didn't exactly sit on shelves at that price either, but the real strong sales started when the price drops happened. The same thing is going to happen with the PSP, and even the DS at $150 is not going to see as strong as sales it will whenever the system drops in price to $99. Neither the DS nor the PSP has a strong library yet, and it's going to take some time for both systems to get to GBA-level libraries. With the PSP especially, I don't think the system is going to really catch on until Sony makes it cheaper. I see the sales figures posted here, but all I know is that neither new handheld is flying off the shelves. Both systems (more DS than PSP) are sitting on shelves at all the stores. I see more DS systems getting sold back/traded in as well. All of this is typical for a new system though. We're in that "drought phase."

jarrod

Banned
Advance Wars alone is a viable alternative to console gaming. :)

Console gaming sucked this gen. On all sides.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Doubtful. Massive userbase didn't help Rez. On the other hand, limited choice of games during launch period, makes games like that a lot more exposed.
Also, I would never buy a PS2 version of Lumines over PSP version if I had to choose only one. Some games simply make more sense on handhelds.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
no, it is not a viable alternative, just like console gaming isn't a viable alternative to handheld gaming. both have their place and both have their AAA must play titles.

You can't do WarioWare Twisted on the consoles and can't do Donkey Konga or DDR on the handhelds.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Those of us who are multi-console owners, and say that you should buy all consoles because there is something worth playing on all of them....

What about handhelds? Surely if there is a game worth playing that is only on a handheld, you should buy a handheld to play it?

The only difference seems to be technical - people saying consoles are 'superior' because they do stuff handhelds can't.

Well I can play a handheld on the train *and* sitting at home. I can't do that with a console. Therefore handhelds are more flexible.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm in the middle of a deep love affair with the GBA, I'd hate to give it up for any reason.

But I'd probably still buy a console over a handheld if it came down to some sort of choice on the matter. Though I play some strategy/rpg's on handheld (I.S. I love you), I generally play quick bits on my handheld and adventure titles on my console. Next gen will probably allow me to fully get what I want from PC gaming on my console as well, and I'm happy for that.

jarrod

Banned
I should amend my statement... *ahem*

Compared to the last 3 generations console gaming sucked this gen. On all sides.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Here's the list of games from this generation of consoles that will be remembered in 20 years:

Grand Theft Auto 3

It's a short list. I'm not saying that's the only good game of this generation (I could list at least 5 from each console that I consider to be amazing games), but in terms of what this generation brought to the table, Grand Theft Auto's free roaming environments were about it.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Oh, and on topic:

Yeah, handheld gaming is a completely viable alternative to console gaming. You're going to miss out some, but you could easily get by.

The last awesome game that I played was Resident Evil 4 (God of War was pretty damn good). Since then I've been entertaining myself with my DS and it's library of GBA games. I've had more fun playing Yoshi's Island in the last couple of days than I can remember having in quite some time.

Personally, I'm always going to have consoles and handheld gaming. To me, gaming is kind of a "collectible" hobby. I like keeping old systems and old games just for the sole reason of still having them. Plus, I can't stand the feeling of being "left out" on something. For a while I was gaming with only a PS2 and a Gamecube. The curiosity of Halo finally got to me, and I bought an Xbox because I didn't want to be the only dude that hadn't really experienced Halo first hand. For the record, it wasn't really worth it. The Xbox was easily the console I could have lived without this generation. I couldn't have lived without GTA, MGS2/3, and Metroid Prime/RE4 though.

Lyte Edge

Haleon said:
Here's the list of games from this generation of consoles that will be remembered in 20 years:

Grand Theft Auto 3

It's a short list. I'm not saying that's the only good game of this generation (I could list at least 5 from each console that I consider to be amazing games), but in terms of what this generation brought to the table, Grand Theft Auto's free roaming environments were about it.

Grand Theft Auto and GTA2 also had free roaming environments. :) But really, what's your point? This gen did pretty much just build upon a lot of the games from the last generation, but the last generation was the big leap from 2D to 3D, so of course something that large isn't going to happen again. The next step will be the leap from 3D to full VR gaming some years down the road.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Musashi Wins! said:
I'm in the middle of a deep love affair with the GBA, I'd hate to give it up for any reason.

But I'd probably still buy a console over a handheld if it came down to some sort of choice on the matter. Though I play some strategy/rpg's on handheld (I.S. I love you), I generally play quick bits on my handheld and adventure titles on my console. Next gen will probably allow me to fully get what I want from PC gaming on my console as well, and I'm happy for that.

I can't stop playing the GBA lately either(or rather DS). Kururin Paradise and WW:Twisted(to a lesser extent) have been getting heavy playtime as I sit on the couch and zone out to adult swim or the evening news.

It's getting to the point that I am thinking of finally giving Pokemon the old college try once and for all.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Brandon F said:
I can't stop playing the GBA lately either(or rather DS). Kururin Paradise and WW:Twisted(to a lesser extent) have been getting heavy playtime as I sit on the couch and zone out to adult swim or the evening news.

It's getting to the point that I am thinking of finally giving Pokemon the old college try once and for all.

I'm with you. With the same games, haha. I've tried Pokemon a couple times but it's never held me very long. But I am definitely in a "if it's on gba it can do no wrong" sort of phase.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, I bought both Sapphire and Blue around their respective release windows, but I played neither beyond earning the first badge or whatever. I keep believing someday I can really dig into these games, but I'm thinking its a false hope.

Still, FireRed or Emerald is sorta calling my name, the motivation is building. (Or I am just addicted to feeding my GBA)

Haleon said:
Oh, and on topic:

Yeah, handheld gaming is a completely viable alternative to console gaming. You're going to miss out some, but you could easily get by.

The last awesome game that I played was Resident Evil 4 (God of War was pretty damn good). Since then I've been entertaining myself with my DS and it's library of GBA games. I've had more fun playing Yoshi's Island in the last couple of days than I can remember having in quite some time.

Personally, I'm always going to have consoles and handheld gaming. To me, gaming is kind of a "collectible" hobby. I like keeping old systems and old games just for the sole reason of still having them. Plus, I can't stand the feeling of being "left out" on something. For a while I was gaming with only a PS2 and a Gamecube. The curiosity of Halo finally got to me, and I bought an Xbox because I didn't want to be the only dude that hadn't really experienced Halo first hand. For the record, it wasn't really worth it. The Xbox was easily the console I could have lived without this generation. I couldn't have lived without GTA, MGS2/3, and Metroid Prime/RE4 though.

That's pretty much exactly what I've been like this gen.
Except I got the PS2 after the Xbox. I too wasn't enamoured with Halo... I do love having all of the consoles though.

I don't know whether it's just because I'm working, staying up late and generally being tired -- but I play games less than I used to. Well, not less, but I find the idea of sitting down for *hours* (a la playing an RPG game) totally daunting. I think Zelda and Metroid might be the only games where I'm prepared to invest until I involuntarily collapse nowadays. The handhelds are perfect for that kind of lifestyle.

Top Bottom