• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone studied abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

Some might have seen my post from a few days ago. I just realized that, since I've yet to finish my degree, the easiest path to England may be to study there. Has anyone done this? Can you give me any advice?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I studied abroad in Australia for a semester, so this may not apply much at all, but just in case:

I went to a pretty pricey private school here in the states, so going abroad was fueled by 2 factors.

1) Price. It's usually cheaper to study abroad as long as you do direct-enrollment at a foreign university instead of a program (although this is usually dependent on how well your university's study abroad office is).

2) Experiencing the world outside the "ivory tower" that US universities cultivate.

Not only did I get both of those benefits, I greatly enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend doing direct enrollment. While foreign programs do greatly simplify thing, you usually end up living in a conclave of American students in a foreign atmosphere, which pretty much goes contrary to the whole "study abroad" experience (plus you pay US university rates, which suck). In my school, most students went abroad first semester of their 3rd year, but lots of students also did a whole year with a few doing a single semester their 2nd semester of 2nd or 3rd year. If you're looking to eventually live there, doing a whole year abroad is probably the best way to go.

The administrative stuff is almost always really simple. Most foreign schools of any decent caliber have a program whereby foreign students can apply for a semester or longer, and once you get accepted into one getting a visa is incredibly simple.

Specific to England, I'd say almost a third of the kids I know who studied abroad went there, so it might be the hardest to get into. That being said, I know a couple kids who studied abroad for a full year, then went back over there to work after they graduated. I don't know if it was because of contacts they got while living over ther, but I imagine it didnt' hurt. I'd say study abroad, direct enroll in a school, and try and find a space to live surrounded by English students near your university. Keep in touch and you'll at least have a few friends to shack up with if you plan on going back.

Any specific questions you might have I can address, so just let me know.

Forgot to add, I did have to pay a fee to hold my spot in my school back home, but the whole experience (fees + tuition + living + travel) was cheaper than a single semester back home, so make sure you take that into account.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I did for a while, but I noticed she was quickly losing interest so I stopped with the foreplay and proceeded to FHUTA.

... yeah, that's all I have. Sorry.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
My current girlfriend is from Singapore and is studying here in Australia. Like Nerevar said, there seems to be a lot of dirent enrollment into Universities over here, as long as you have the money and at least meet a certain score overall.

Personally I haven't even thought about studying abroad since;

a) I am part Aboriginal which means I can get direct enrollment myself into any University in Australia (this all due to shady details pertaining the past and future of the culture).

b) Don't have the money or ambition to study abroad.

Maybe it's just all up to your preferences in country choice Seth C

Doth Togo

I studied in Paris for a while as part of my triple BA. I ended up with Bachelor of Arts degrees in Political Science, French and Music.

I loved every minute I spent in France. My soul is still there...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
After I finished high school, I moved from the US to Israel and spent 4 years there, studied for about 3 of them. I think everyone should eventually leave their home countries to experience other societies and cultures. It makes you a better, more worldly person, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom