• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Anyone Else Watch "For All Mankind" on Apple TV+?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Y'all... I've been hearing how great this show is and I finally pulled the trigger to watch it. I've just finished season 1 and on season 2 now. The alternate history it realizes is so well thought out and the science they put front and center is so breathtaking it makes my geek heart sing!

The main characters are a mix of real historical people and events and fictional people and events... including some "based on real people" like Molly Cobb was inspired by Geraldyn Cobb, a member of the Mercury 13 group

My favorite character right now is Ed Baldwin (his wife, Karen played by Shantel Van Santen, has the nicest booty I've seen on a period piece TV show thus far!).

Who else is watching ? I know I can't be the only one...

YIoi0cl.jpg
klECEDU.jpg
o9yWFss.jpg

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It’s made by Ron Moore, the guy who created the modern Battlestar Galactica show, Outlander, and was one of the key people behind Deep Space Nine. I haven’t tried it yet but apparently it’s been getting better each season.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I like it but Shantel Van Santen, as amazingly hot as she is, is ALWAYS stuck in an annoying wife subplot in whatever show she is in. She dragged down Shooter and she drags down this show. Honestly I feel like the 10+ year jump between seasons hurts the narrative the show tries to create. But it's still quite good and some bits are downright spectacular.
The duct tape moon walk was incredible.

StueyDuck

While not the best show Apple produces. It's in the top 3 easily.

Even makes you like Joel Kinnaman as an actor.

It's great how each season takes a 10 year or so jump. It can be a little melodramatic, season 2 especially. But it's really a great show top to bottom.

As always more sci-fi is good, less generic high fantasy is good

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Watched the first episode and hated everythign about it, the acting, the story, the woke angle... so no.

VN1X

Banned
Y'all... I've been hearing how great this show is and I finally pulled the trigger to watch it. I've just finished season 1 and on season 2 now. The alternate history it realizes is so well thought out and the science they put front and center is so breathtaking it makes my geek heart sing!

The main characters are a mix of real historical people and events and fictional people and events... including some "based on real people" like Molly Cobb was inspired by Geraldyn Cobb, a member of the Mercury 13 group

My favorite character right now is Ed Baldwin (his wife, Karen played by Shantel Van Santen, has the nicest booty I've seen on a period piece TV show thus far!).

Who else is watching ? I know I can't be the only one...
wbctZ4s.jpg

That guy's the baddy right?

Xyphie

Show turned too much into a sci-fi show in season 3 rather than something at least somewhat grounded in reality. In two seasons or so they are going to do dumbshit like FTL travel with 100-year old Ed Baldwin at the helm.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned

Too many women. That’s the first thing that comes to mind when I see this poster, especially for a show about space exploration. It’s the same reason I don’t watch Ahsoka; the dearth of male characters and overabundance of (unsexy) women makes it unwatchable to me. And the women in this poster look especially annoying; they give off major karen/schoolmarm/hr-manager vibes. Which is a shame, because I love the alternate history concept behind the show. But the first trailer for season one already gave off big ‘this-show-is-about-brave-female-astronauts-overcoming-sexism’-vibes. Am I wrong? I’ve been interested in the show since I first heard about it, but those vibes turned me off from watching it so far.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Too many women. That’s the first thing that comes to mind when I see this poster, especially for a show about space exploration. It’s the same reason I don’t watch Ahsoka; the dearth of male characters and overabundance of (unsexy) women makes it unwatchable to me. And the women in this poster look especially annoying; they give off major karen/schoolmarm/hr-manager vibes. Which is a shame, because I love the alternate history concept behind the show. But the first trailer for season one already gave off big ‘this-show-is-about-brave-female-astronauts-overcoming-sexism’-vibes. Am I wrong? I’ve been interested in the show since I first heard about it, but those vibes turned me off from watching it so far.
Not an entirelly fair criticism of the show. It does have a lot of women but that's because it's an alt history show so thry gotta do some alt history things.

Plus most of the male characters die doing heroic shit, the female ones just endure. It's an interesting statement.

Kilau

Not really a fan of alternative history fiction. Especially ones that change the greatest achievements or sacrifices of humanity like this or The Man in the High Castle.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

It's an alternate history show that was, in part, inspired by the actual Mercury 13 women who did all the same training as the men back in the early 60s. The women are just as flawed as the men and are largely treated as equals... As time goes on, that is. Season 2 shows how flawed a certain woman character is... There's a lot of sympathy for one of the male characters... That's all I can say but Ed is GREAT! His moral compass and guts is the heart of the show.

And I'll say this about the tech they develop in the show... This is during an alternate timeline cold war... The space race is ongoing and didn't stop in the early '70s. Money was still pouring into NASA and strides were being made FAR MORE than what happened in the real world. All this because Russia landed on the moon first. The alternate history (everything outside of our heroes) is cleverly put together!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Not really a fan of alternative history fiction. Especially ones that change the greatest achievements or sacrifices of humanity like this or The Man in the High Castle.

If you're worried about America being beaten in the space race, they're not beaten for long.

Kilau

If you're worried about America being beaten in the space race, they're not beaten for long.
It’s not really about America, there are real people still alive that achieved this and I don’t like changing that. It’s just a show not a history book being taught so whatever, it doesn’t make me mad or anything. I take history very seriously, especially space exploration. I couldn’t enjoy a story that changed the history of the former USSR being the first to land on another planet, like they did on Venus, either.

StueyDuck

it really isn't any of that, like for 2 episodes it's about women because they want to now be the first country to send a woman into space because they were already beaten by the men category, but like literally after that gender doesn't play a role at all. Season 2 and 3 have nothing to do with any of that, it's actually more a cold war/political drama than anything else. there is a bit of an LGBTQIA+2?# agenda but that's just TV now and this show doesn't hit you over the head or preach about it, again except from literally one episode, you get a falcon and winter soldier speech but like it's such side content and fluff that it really doesn't matter to the show overall. The primary storyline through all 3 seasons is level headed and the show really doesn't preach.

give it a shot

Last edited:

Ownage

Yes, I watched the first 2 seasons. It's on the list of things to watch later.

Lmao at the mom hooking up with her dead son's teenage friend. Random moment.

Bojji

I like it overall and I love some moments of it. It's one of the best Sci Fi shows right now, we have nothing after expanse...

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I really need to get into Apple, it seems like they keep making amazing tv shows. So far I have this in my list to watch:

I'll add this to my bookmark as well. Is apple the new syfy? Anything else I should keep an eye out? I already pay for netflix, prime, disney, and showtime...and my parents are on them 90% of the time, while I've been like 5% cuz Im too busy games. Maybe Ill sub one day for a month and just binge all these shows, but i'd rather wait for them to be over.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

In, general, apple tv+ shows are very women centric. To a fault, even - Foundation sometimes is just back to back to back only women.

There are exceptions, of course... but even male-led Ted Lasso had to start inventing silly plotlines just to even out the score, up to the point of jumping the shark (the whole lesbo arc in the final season is oof not very well done and pretty much isolated from everything else in the show).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I really need to get into Apple, it seems like they keep making amazing tv shows. So far I have this in my list to watch:

I'll add this to my bookmark as well. Is apple the new syfy? Anything else I should keep an eye out? I already pay for netflix, prime, disney, and showtime...and my parents are on them 90% of the time, while I've been like 5% cuz Im too busy games. Maybe Ill sub one day for a month and just binge all these shows, but i'd rather wait for them to be over.

Severance (very good)
Invasion (first season was weak but season 2 is looking nice)
Finch (tom hanks roaming post apocalyptic earth)
Calls (audio only series, about 15 minutes per episode)

Yes, they are the new SyFy - there's more I haven't mentioned because they're less than 6.5 on imdb. If you like science fiction apple tv+ is worth the monthly cost of admission.

wondermega

Yeah, first heard about this show maybe a year ago or so, on gaf? I got immediately sucked in, the very beginning of the show was so cleverly done and I got immediately addicted. I don't usually go for your usual space sci-fi fare (battlestar, star wars - except Andor of course - star trek, etc) but I think I have kind of a fascination with the real space program.

Anyway the show is excellent and has rocketed (ha, ha) to the top of my favorites. 1st two seasons are just excellent and the 3rd season is.. well, if you enjoyed S1 and S2, you will either love it or hate it. I can appreciate both perspectives, all I will say is that I appreciate the fact that the show is starting to get a little (ahem) ridiculous but it is still so well-made that even with some of the harder-to-swallow pills, I am looking forward to S4 (although depending on how that goes, it might start losing my interest, we'll see).

Some more thoughts.. ending of S2 was absolutely insane. And for the ending of S3 - without spoiling it, I will just say it was very surreal for me in particular. I used to work in the building where "those scenes" were shot so that was a bit unnerving to see.

Also, I really appreciate the show's commitment to its major gimmick (every season is 10 years apart). Not sure how long it can keep going before spinning out completely, but they've done an impressive job of making good on the promise of "we can do this" so far. It will be pretty wild to see how far this goes.

Lastly, as for the people who say "this show is too woke, too feminist, blah blah" they do a really good job of building characters with a lot of dimensionality, there are no terribly flat people in this show (for the most part). A couple scenes here and there but nothing that's too overbearing "beat you over the head with it" and it's refreshing how basically all the characters are pretty relatable (you cheer them on at times, but can also feel... hatehatehate. They are human). Great show, give it a shot, especially if the subject matter has any interest to you.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Lastly, as for the people who say "this show is too woke, too feminist, blah blah" they do a really good job of building characters with a lot of dimensionality, there are no terribly flat people in this show (for the most part). A couple scenes here and there but nothing that's too overbearing "beat you over the head with it" and it's refreshing how basically all the characters are pretty relatable (you cheer them on at times, but can also feel... hatehatehate. They are human). Great show, give it a shot, especially if the subject matter has any interest to you.

Yeah I mean personally I am not talking about it being woke or not woke, just saying Apple TV shows have a demographic skew that's it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It’s not really about America, there are real people still alive that achieved this and I don’t like changing that. It’s just a show not a history book being taught so whatever, it doesn’t make me mad or anything. I take history very seriously, especially space exploration. I couldn’t enjoy a story that changed the history of the former USSR being the first to land on another planet, like they did on Venus, either.

This series shows how much the space program could've advanced had the Apollo funding continued forever.

StueyDuck

those are genuinely 3 great shows, apples is murdering it to be honest.

number 1 , far and away the best show made in many many years is severance though.

Edit Number 2, fuuuuck how can i forget Slow Horses, awesome show

number 3, this changes but i'd put for all mankind

number 4, Silo is great so far after 1 season

number 5, i'd put black bird, mini series but stupendously acted

number 6, foundation (only just started and haven't got to season 2) it's really the good type of sci-fi, im considering reading the books because i know the show won't do it justice like all adaptations.

number 7, Hello Tomorrow, don't sleep on this one, sure the premise is simple and not a whole lot happens but it's basically fallout before the apocalypse, the aesthetic is great

then finally numbers 8 and 9 are shrinking and ted lasso , both are great comedies by the same minds behind scrubs, but both can also have some pretty average moments and bad decisions. wish i could rate them higher. Season 1 of Ted Lasso was top tier stuff, the following seasons, 3 especially, take a bit of a nose dive

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

It's good, while the good lasts. Then it becomes shit, like all modern shows.
Well worth watching for the first 2 seasons. Has some really powerful moments.
Some never go big and are good all the way through.
Like Halt and Catch Fire.
Like The Expanse.
Like Mindhunter.

Corian33

Recently subscribed to Apple One (switched internet companies and got a huge upgrade+better price, decided to splurge on some subscriptions). I was shocked at how many cool looking sci-fi shows they have on Apple TV. Started with this one and loving it so far. Just started season 2.

Top Bottom