• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you learned any real life skills from gaming?

Have you ever learned any real-world skills from playing games?

• Total voters

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Have you ever learned any real-world skills from playing games? I’ve learned a couple.

-Playing MMOs taught me a lot of people skills.

-I learned how to type ridiculously fast playing MUDs when I was younger.

-Saving money is a skill I’ve helped to hone through playing GTA Vice City.

All of the above have helped me with school first, and later work. What about the rest of you?

Nankatsu

-Saving money is a skill I’ve helped to hone through playing GTA Vice City.

OP never bought guns on Vice City.

Joe Biden Reaction GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
English. I think any ESL kid that wanted to beat this shit had to either learn english or fuck off:

Bkwiki312.png

I also learned about computers and coding thanks to my love for games, and now I make a living out of that so yeah, thanks videogames!

EDIT:

oh shit, strategy games! who hasn't learned a few history beats from playing Age of Empires?

also, Yakuza 6 taught me about baseball.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Absolutely I have. I played competitive Melee for around 20,000 hours, and I continued to have noticeably faster reaction times and better hand-eye coordination the more I played. Turns out that fast-paced intense games like that are a sharp exercise for the prefrontal cortex and aid in quick decision making and executive functions.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a dipshit. But I’m a quick dipshit.

Last edited:

_Ex_

Gold Member
Countless times. Just a few examples:

Learned a lot about how aviation works through flight simulators.
Learned orienteering fairly well via Miasmata.
Learned how to play chess via chess video games.
Learned lots of geography via the Carmen Sandiego games.
Leisure Suit Larry series taught me what women are really like.

DelireMan7

My English and especially vocabulary definitely gained from videogames.

I am working in a non English speaking country but at my work, we are speaking English. Often I "impress" my colleagues with some English words( from non worked discussion) I know from videogames.

I like to think that my years on Warcraft 3 developed my multitasking.

Was a shit student in grade school. Hit OG FF7 hard summer between 5th and 6th grade. Went from less than a 2.0 to honor roll and advanced math. Reading all that dialogue and min maxing stats; pretty sneaky, Square.

Also typing - i cant beleive some scrubs i see these days - and general tech literacy.

Though i honestly feel more of my life skills have made me enjoy and / or learn gaming more haha.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I learned how to argue better by tangling with people on videogame forums. It's actually come in handy in various legally charged work situations.

I'm not sure how much I've learned from videogames themselves. Better eye-hand coordination, probably.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

I became way better at English after playing Genesis MUD for over 10 years (my character there is over 1300 days old). And I'm a programmer thanks to games with passwords and the long hours I spent cracking NES password systems years before I had a PC (in Prince Banana, for example, I was kind of able to generate passwords for any level with any weapon and any amount of max hp but my notes had a gap which I didn't understand. So I worked it out until I found a password with a pattern that should work but I hadn't yet catalogued, when I tried it I went straight to the level I thought it would go but with a weapon that I had not yet discovered because the shop that sold it was hidden. I felt like Mendeleiev when he was designing the periodic table and realized there were gaps that must meant there were elements yet to be discovered.

And not even talking about the DS games for practicing and learning Japanese kanji.

Bond007

I will always say Gran Turismo.
Played religously from day one when the series started. Taught me so much before i even had a permit. I still view alot through the lense of GT.

After that- Basketball games/Baseball. I am/was a two sport guy all my life and i learned alot about the games(IQ, Movement, rules) through these games growing up.

Im 39 now.

Tarnpanzer

Yes, speaking ~fluent english as a german by switching to english language in videogames by the age of ~12. I was tired of translating item names in Diablo 2 from english to german and vice versa while trading with other players, so I switched to english. That became a habit for other games after that.

English as a language is neccessary here in germany if you want to work at big corporations who operate internationally. So by starting playing games in english as a kid I now have much better opportunities on the job market and therefore get a better salary.

A.Romero

I learned English. My younger brother too and he became a professional translator/interpreter without setting foot out of our country, just by playing counter strike 8 hours a day for I don't know how long.
I learned rules for several sports (Chess, Basketball, Soccer and Football).
I learned a lot of history.
I learned about of Japanese culture.
A lot of computer knowledge thanks to playing on PC and troubleshooting back in the mid 90's.

I have learned alot through video games.

I have started several businesses, but that entrepreneurship started when I realized at 10 years old that I could get good deals buying people's consoles and game collections, and then splitting them up and selling them piece by piece. I would never have done that if I was not collecting games. I made over 20k between the age of 10 and 17 doing this, and also ended up with a collection of 22 different consoles and over 3,000 games.

I have a career in IT because my dad got me a PC for gaming when I was 12. This started my passion for PC tinkering, upgrading, optimizing, re-imaging, etc.......

The only reason I know anything about how the rules in most sports work is because of video games (I only played basketball, but I understand pretty much all US sports)

I have great spatial awareness and hand-eye coordination, and I do think video games played a big part in that

This one is silly, but I'm going to Japan this Summer, and for the last year I've been on-off studying Japanese, but also playing through all the Yakuza games. I feel that playing Yakuza in Japanese has helped me in learning some Japanese.

Top Bottom