• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you sacrificed certain game genre(s) for time?

BossLackey

Gold Member
I play a lot of genres. If I magically had more time, I'd play even more. However, I'm definitely at a crossroads right now when it comes to using my time wisely (I mean, this is LONG overdue). And unfortunately, I'm having to axe JRPGs and Driving/Racing/Simracing from my lineup.

"BossLackey, why don't you just play what you want to play?"

Because my brain is stupid and I need spread sheets to plan my life and limit my choices or else I would have analysis paralysis and end up not actually playing anything.

Have you had to cut certain genres from your life due to time?

bender

What time is it?
I don't spend much time in multiplayer games outside of co-op experiences.

Not really genre specific, but with the abundance of inexpensive gaming options, the amount of time I'm willing to give any title a "fair shake" is incredibly short. If you don't hook me right away, I'm just going to move onto something else.

Dural

No RPGs and barely any multiplayer, both can be way too time consuming. I mostly play racing games and classic games (8 and 16 bit), things you can pick up and play in short bursts.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
MMOs got blacklisted after just 1. FFXI. 5 years later, never again.

I typically play 1 GAAS / multiplayer game at a time. For years its been Splatoon 1-3, Monster Hunter or Soul Calibur VI. This year it was Exoprimal out of nowhere. Already 130 hours in a few months.

I don't play as many long JRPGs because most of them are terrible, not the time factor. 275 hours into Starfield so far, so if an RPG does grab me, I will make the time.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
MMOs got blacklisted after just 1. FFXI. 5 years later, never again.

I typically play 1 GAAS / multiplayer game at a time. For years its been Splatoon 1-3, Monster Hunter or Soul Calibur VI. This year it was Exoprimal out of nowhere. Already 130 hours in a few months.

I don't play as many long JRPGs because most of them are terrible, not the time factor. 275 hours into Starfield so far, so if an RPG does grab me, I will make the time.
Welcome back, Yoshi-kun!

739167.jpg

ungalo

I don't know if i "sacrificed" them but multiplayer games in general i think i play them way less than before.

It's just not as flexible as solo games.

I still play multiplayer occasionally, but nowhere near the amount I used play to in my Highschool and college days. I value crafted single-player experiences much more at this stage in my life.

With my daughter born last year, basically any game I can’t stop any time and and pick up later I will not touch. Turn-based single player games became my only genre. Pathfinder:WOTR, BG3, JA3 are the 3 games I’ve played in the last month. I am also playing Starfield because you can do it in very small chunks, do one quest and clear one dungeon/cave can take 15-20 minutes.

And another thing about Starfield, for all the complaints people have about fast traveling. It’s one of the only reasons I can play it. When you have only 30 minutes to play, you don’t want to spend half of it going from place to place.

Last edited:
MMORPGS, any grindy game, and any of the try-hard multiplayer games are out for me. My time is usually limited to about 5-15 hours per week so I don't want to spend any time grinding for stupid shit, and if a multiplayer game requires constant attention for me to be competitive then forget it. I guess I do drop into some COD or Halo sessions every once in a while, but they have kept a similar feel to the past when I could put much more time into games so I can easily drop in and not get totally dominated.

Fredrik

Racing sims. I don’t have the time to grind or to get good at it. Plus, used to have a triple screen setup but now I have a single screen. It’s just not the same thing. And VR, while cool, is not comfortable for longer sessions. Less than 20 hours total on GT7. Never even started Forza Motorsport.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I don't know if i "sacrificed" them but multiplayer games in general i think i play them way less than before.

It's just not as flexible as solo games.
I'm 34. And old man when it comes to comp games. I have not gotten worse with age, but I simply do not have the time to dedicate to being good. Wish I did, because online multiplayer is some of the best fun I've had in games.

I've played a LOT of competitive FPS, but I just play fighting games now. It's nice to just lean back with my fight stick and watch a movie while stomping (or getting stomped).

bigdad2007

Only MMO’s any any live service game with heavy multiplayer or time limited content. If I can’t play it on my terms I don’t play it. I haven’t switched the genre’s I play, I just play fewer games since I have less time now.

I’ve also given up on the idea that I have to 100% complete a game to have finished with it. I still play JRPGs, VN, long story based games because that is what I like.

The switch has been amazing in that regard as I can play even when I only have like 15 minutes at any given time anywhere I am.

Deerock71

I swore off playing through super long games now I've just gotten into No Man's Sky and I have a quintillion planets to explore.
Roger Federer Sport GIF by Tennis TV

Tg89

Not really a genre as a whole but I had to decide between Classic Hardcore (WoW) and other games this year. Wish I didn't have to - Classic WoW is imo one of the goats and HC does so many things to make it great, but there's simply too many other games this year.

I play a lot of genres. If I magically had more time, I'd play even more. However, I'm definitely at a crossroads right now when it comes to using my time wisely (I mean, this is LONG overdue). And unfortunately, I'm having to axe JRPGs and Driving/Racing/Simracing from my lineup.

"BossLackey, why don't you just play what you want to play?"

Because my brain is stupid and I need spread sheets to plan my life and limit my choices or else I would have analysis paralysis and end up not actually playing anything.

Have you had to cut certain genres from your life due to time?
Ive pretty much had to nuke mmos and jrpgs. I quit persona 5 half way through even though I was enjoying it, because I have 2 children and extremely limited time.

Chastten

Banned
After 4 years of playing WoW exclusively between 2006 and 2010 or something, I've pretty much given up on hardcore online gaming. Emphasis on hardcore since I obviously still play some online round of Mario Kart or Splatoon and even dabbled in a few other online games like FF14 and Lost Ark since then. But never again will I play it like we played WoW.

And don't get me wrong. I still have fantastic memories about that time. I played WoW with 7 or 8 of my best friends for most of that time and we had a blast and still talk about those days to this day. But I wouldn't do it again.

The Stig

Souls-type.

I respect the games, and I played the heck out of the first one on PS3 but once it was over I didn't feel the need to put myself through the experience again.

Football Manager

I have put probably more hours into this series (started with the very first game in 1994!) than any other but it just soaks up too much time. I havent played since FM17.

amigastar

My enjoyment for Diablo took a hit with Diablo 4, i just don't have the energy and time to grind all day for some arbitrary loot. I hope Titan Quest 2 and PoE2 can revive this genre for me.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Souls games and any that requires grind to an offensive degree - mortal kombat 1 I'm looking at you.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I mostly do games with short mission-based gameplay or pick up and play games these days. I'm taking Spider-Man 2 and Starfield a mission or two at a time. Super Mario Wonder is perfect for the time I have right now.

Hudo

Multiplayer and MMOs. I generally don't touch them anymore. Except multiplayer in Quake 1 and 3. These games are for life.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I'd rather play 2 or 3 100+h jrpg that I love per year, that'll stay in my mind and soul, then 30 shitty 5 to 10 hours games, from Gamepass for exemple, that I'll forget 2 days after completing them.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
crypto-mmorpg-games.jpg

And MMORPGs in general simply because I dont have time for that shit.
The feeling of missing out or being left behind if you dont play for a day sounds like torture.

Holammer

I don't play any sports games at all, but that's because they are made to appeal to actual sports fans today. It's more important to have accurate statistics, portraits and how the famous arena grass is cut than fun gameplay. By the early PS2 era my interest in sports games died out completely. There's a similar problem with racing games too.

I hardly even touch JRPGs anymore as I have grown to hate the modern chara design and writing. There's a limit to how many frilly dresses, and belts I can take and the currently popular stock characters in Japan piss me off. "Another emotionless goth loli? Oh wow, it broke new ground!".

Caffeine

xenoblade 1 i put like 38 hours into it only to find out im 1/4th done with the main story because ive been doing side stuff the whole time.

mmo's after endwalker i have been pretty much done i tried getting into wow again with the dragon flight but i literally have no time to play especially juggling it with other games. wow somehow became play for 1 hour a week to this is not worth keeping the sub.

the only way i can see me coming back to a mmo is if I lose my job or shift over to part time to free up free time lol.

Last edited:
crypto-mmorpg-games.jpg

And MMORPGs in general simply because I dont have time for that shit.
The feeling of missing out or being left behind if you dont play for a day sounds like torture.
I played a crypto mmo once - Nine chronicles (it may actually be the one pictured in your image) and it was a run of the mill mobile tier idle game with extremely long load times, until you hit the progression brick wall that they put in to buy nft weapons. I'll never make that mistake again.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I played a crypto mmo once - Nine chronicles (it may actually be the one pictured in your image) and it was a run of the mill mobile tier idle game with extremely long load times, until you hit the progression brick wall that they put in to buy nft weapons. I'll never make that mistake again.

That is indeed Nine Chronicles.

killatopak

most multiplayer games especially live service ones. Meta changes too much and updates further changes it so I have to relearn a bunch of stuff. I think I fell off RTS because of that.

Fredrik

I swore off playing through super long games now I've just gotten into No Man's Sky and I have a quintillion planets to explore.
Roger Federer Sport GIF by Tennis TV
Lol yeah it’s a forever game. I have 500+ hours logged on it, could easily spend another 500 just searching for some nice planets and building some bases.
Starfield is triggering the same addiction for me, 170+ hours there in just two months.

Bond007

MMO is a def no .Open world games at the scale of Assassins Creed/Horizon. I have no interest in dumping that much time in them- exceptions can be made, but generally a no.

Guilty_AI

I don't mind long games because i have no issue playing one through a long period of time. Playing a bunch at once then coming back to it one or two months later, keep doing it until its finished a year later.

What i do have an issue with are games that demand your constant attention, basically live service games with stuff like daily challenges, limited time events, etc. I can play long games but i will do so at my own pace.

SHA

Yes, before, RPG, Strategy, MMOs and sim, now, I've just started scratching the surface of RPGs, the bad part is I knew how good they're the whole time.

Last edited:

Gee

JRPG for me.
After finishing P5 I concluded I don’t want to play these time sinks again, although I do still like them.

SHA

most multiplayer games especially live service ones. Meta changes too much and updates further changes it so I have to relearn a bunch of stuff. I think I fell off RTS because of that.
The unlearning part is common in the Tech industry, have you been there?

kiphalfton

Open world games.

There are so many I haven't played, and there are many that I would like to play, but goddam do they get churned out like no there's no tomorrow.

I'm so far behind I think at this point it comes down to the following logic diagram:

Is game produced by Rockstar?
- if yes, then play game
- if no, then too bad so sad

Played a lot of MP games till recently; mostly shooters, looter shooters and mobas (yeah, I know), but I've basically stopped playing them altogether. I still do occasionally play looter shooters, especially if they have good gunplay.

Go_Ly_Dow

About 10 years ago I stopped playing all MP and online games. The reason was for both time but also felt it was an empty and mindless experience that didn't give me any satisfaction.

So now I play narrative/story driven only single player games. Usually around 5-7 games a year depending on the year and I always have a blast with these games. Some of them like a JRPG can be quite long, let's say 50 hours+ but since I never play more than 1 game at a time it never feels like I'm sinking in too much free time, as I tend to play for a few hours before bed during the working week and more on Sundays. So its more of an unwinding thing to look forward to at the end of the day and feels structured enough that I never feel guilty about it.

Last edited:

nikos

Nope, I play what I'm in the mood to play but I rarely finish games and have been playing way less single player games lately. I'm way more engaged playing competitive multiplayer games.

Top Bottom