• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many genres do you enjoy playing?

Which genres do you enjoy playing the most?

• Total voters
There are so many genres now that I don't even know what I like the most anymore. Truth be told, I consider myself a rare breed of a gamer simply because as I grew older I started to like genres that I normally despised. I used to really dislike turn-based rpgs until I've played Final Fantasy X for the very first time when I was 10 years old. It was also my very first FF game.

In the 90s, my main genre was FPS along with 3D platformers. Titles like DOOM, Hexen, Heretic.l were an addiction. Me and my dad would fight over the computer on who would play what and when. Platformers were also very easy to pick up and get into as a kid. Then later on I got into RTS with my dad including Starcraft, Warcraft 2, Dune 2000, Red Alert and Age of Empires 2.

For quite a few years if not a decade or so, I've strictly played FPS, Platformers and RTS games. Then in 2004, WoW came out and that was my introduction to MMORPGs and I still play it on occasion to this day.

I hated Bioware games because I had no interest in sitting there and listening to dialogue and being bored out of my mind. I tried to play Dragon Age Origins and couldn't do it. But then Mass Effect happend and that changed everything. I now sit and listen to every single cut scene and dialogue if the story is interesting enough. I guess as a kid, you don't have much patience and you just want to get into the action.

These days, I play pretty much everything and if someone asks me what is my favorite genre of all time I really don't have an answer for you. Variety is the spice of life and you should enjoy everything bit by bit.

What about you fellow gaffers?

Used to enjoy RTS, but now I'm stupid and can't play them.

Don't play horror games because I can't play without max brightness and that ruins them.
The mice thread that you made a few months ago was quite telling of your mental state.. I'd imagine that fondling so many mice balls would eventually deteriorate your 🧠 into a veggie state.

On a serious note, I simply believe that the RTS genre is not same as it used to be. The golden era is long gone, which is why people don't enjoy them as much as they used too. Why can't you play horror games without max brightness? The whole point is to get scared in the first place lol.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoy:

JRPG/RPG
SRPG/Tactics
Japanese point & click Adventure games
Mecha games
platformer
action & adventure
action games
3rd person survival horror games
Puzzles games (very few of them)

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Why can't you play horror games without max brightness? The whole point is to get scared in the first place lol.
Low brightness strains my eyes. High brightness makes everything visible and ruins the horror experience.

7W5D3U1.gif

Last edited:
Oh boy... I enjoy quite a few genres lol. Here they are in no particular order:

• WRPG
  • JRPG
  • ARPG
  • FPS
  • TPS
  • Adventure Games
  • Action games
  • Roguelites
  • Visual Novels
  • Point & Click games
  • Walking Simulators
  • Platformers
  • Side-scrollers
  • Racing games (mostly arcade or simcade)
  • MMO-lites (e.g. Destiny 2, The Division 2, etc.)
  • MOBA
  • Tactics games
  • Simulation games
  • Some horror games
  • Some puzzle games
  • Some fighting games
  • Cozy games (e.g Stardew Valley)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I enjoy or have enjoyed something within most genres I think. The main ones I don’t play are horror games, simulation type games, realistic sports games, Souls-games, JRPG’s (unless Paper Mario counts? But that’s not what I think of when I read “JRPG”) and MMO’s.

Although I’m not sure where to place stuff like RE there. I enjoy the 3rd person (more action-oriented) ones, but not the new first person titles. So I guess I’d place the former in 3rd person action and the latter in horror.

Last edited:
I enjoy or have enjoyed something within most genres I think. The main ones I don’t play are horror games, simulation type games, JRPG’s (unless Paper Mario counts? But that’s not what I think of when I read “JRPG”) and MMO’s.

Although I’m not sure where to place stuff like RE there. I enjoy the 3rd person (more action-oriented) ones, but not the new first person titles. So I guess I’d place the former in 3rd person action and the latter in horror.
That's another issue. So many games today have a blend of the genres that it's hard to classify anything anymore. Most action games like even God of War now has RPG systems. Is it a third person action game or an RPG? Lol.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
That's another issue. So many games today have a blend of the genres that it's hard to classify anything anymore. Most action games like even God of War now has RPG systems. Is it a third person action game or an RPG? Lol.
Agreed, although to me personally the line is very clear there (GoW being a third person action game and not a RPG).

Ceadeus

Gold Member
6 from your list!

I don't play many racing or fighting or rts games. And as years go by, I have less and less patience so I'm looking for simple games. Easy to pick up video game that do not have an expiration date( battlepass, timed event, live service). Stress free stuff so I'm less online and more retro.

Favorite genre, arpg. My least favorite, fighting.

Corian33

I like pretty much everything except fighting games (exception of Smash Bros). Sports games and racing games only on occasion.

Shooters, 3rd person action, all things strategy and RPG. Those would be my favorites.

Edellus

I'm not sure what is even a genre anymore, or how is it helpful in describing games.

I guess I could say I like RPGs, but then I couldn't care for Skyrim, while I really enjoyed The Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy 12. How do I extract the "RPG" in common out of these very different games and meaningfully assign value to that term, as in then I could say I like and play those games because of the genre?

I've tried Call of Duty games twice (ghost and modern warfare 2). I couldn't get into them. But I liked Doom 2016 and eternal. Do I say I like or dislike the FPS genre?

I guess I'm with OP on this. I couldn't care less about the genres of a videogame. It just needs to look cool to get my attention, and be fun when playing it to retain it.

DaGwaphics

3 choices isn't enough, so I took the cop out option.

If I could choose more I would have gone with:

FPS
First/3rd Person Action/Adventure
RPG
RTS
Sports-Sim
Racers
City Builders
Platformers
Sidescrollers
Visual Novels

I don't really consider Horror a separate game type as much as I consider a modifier of either FPS or Action/Adventure or Survival (I would play the first two but not the latter since most Survival games don't do much for me). Though I will give grounded a go at some point just because I like the setting.

Corian33

I guess I could say I like RPGs, but then I couldn't care for Skyrim, while I really enjoyed The Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy 12. How do I extract the "RPG" in common out of these very different games and meaningfully assign value to that term, as in then I could say I like and play those games because of the genre?

Sounds like you enjoy story/character driven RPG experiences over the more “make your own fun” of Skyrim.

Edellus

Perhaps. But I feel it's the "story/character driven" part that attracts me, and not necessarily the "RPG". I could go on with what does liking story/character driven games exactly mean now, because I have disliked quite a few that can be categorised as such, but I hope the point gets across fine enough.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
4 different entries for variations of RPG and Battle Royale is now a genre and yet Sims get barely one entry and it's 'Racers'.
I feel so far out of the mainstream nowadays and yet all of a sudden everyone is playing Quake 2 again.

4 different entries for variations of RPG and Battle Royale is now a genre and yet Sims get barely one entry and it's 'Racers'.
I feel so far out of the mainstream nowadays and yet all of a sudden everyone is playing Quake 2 again.
gaming is now super mainstream, unlike in the 90s where you were told you are wasting your time and you will never achieve anything in life. If someone told me you could make millions streaming a video game on the internet about 15 years ago, I would call them a delusional liar. Things have really really changed LOL.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t play RTS. I’ve tried countless times. From Black & White, Master of Orion, Dungeon Keeper, Supreme Commander, and countless others. I can’t stick it out or I can’t manage costs/materials. I can’t play survival beyond salvaging ammo or health packs. I don’t like to build or focus on building as a core. My creativity plummets when I have to create my own world. I’d make a terrible game designer. I also don’t like MMO’s or phone based F2P. Too much work, payout isn’t satisfying. I like FPS, but the thought of battle royal isn’t enjoyable. I never felt the need to play Overwatch, Apex, and etc.

Everything else I tend to like.

I did get StarCraft II at launch. I never completed it, but I did like the cutscenes.

I don’t play RTS. I’ve tried countless times. From Black & White, Master of Orion, Dungeon Keeper, Supreme Commander, and countless others. I can’t stick it out or I can’t manage costs/materials. I can’t play survival beyond salvaging ammo or health packs. I don’t like to build or focus on building as a core. My creativity plummets when I have to create my own world. I’d make a terrible game designer. I also don’t like MMO’s or phone based F2P. Too much work, payout isn’t satisfying. I like FPS, but the thought of battle royal isn’t enjoyable. I never felt the need to play Overwatch, Apex, and etc.

Everything else I tend to like.

I did get StarCraft II at launch. I never completed it, but I did like the cutscenes.
Judging by your avatar picture, all of the above text here fits quite well 😉 Birb brain ❤️ I wouldn't be able to count basic numbers either if I looked like your avatar pic.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Judging by your avatar picture, all of the above text here fits quite well 😉 Birb brain ❤️ I wouldn't be able to count basic numbers either if I looked like your avatar pic.
Oh haha games use to be a quarter to fifty cents for just shooting random enemies on the screen. Those were the “good old days” for a lot of us. All of a sudden you have to do math and all this military strategy. At times (not all the time, mind you), that just sucks up all the fun.

Btw I got this from Party Animals. Another reason I like it cause there’s a statue of ducks with armor at the From Software studio. I saw it in an interview. Turning a duck into a knight was hard to do, so a duck is what I use.

I pretty much love everything except sports and racing. I guess RPGs in general are my favored genre though (all kinds, turn based, JRPG, western rpg, etc..).

Mozzarella

Ehh i dont like the poll structure, the options overlap. For example RPG should have been one and done, too many subgenres to count, unless you boost the number of allowed votes its going to make me miss some votes on other genres.

I like all the following:
RPG (all kinds)
FPS (including immersive sim type)
Action
Action/Adventure
Puzzle
Horror
RTS
Fighting
Metroidvania

I like Platformers only when its Mario.
I didnt enjoy Reyman Legends and not a big fan of Donkey Kong
The rest of the platformers i barely even bother with them.

RTS i stopped playing due to time limitations.
Still play fighting games occasionally although i also stopped playing them seriously.
Action is wide genre could be FPS/TPS/Swords - generally i like the Doom type of action games or Nioh type, not a big fan of Vanquish type of games or Bayonetta
Action/Adventure i only like the Zelda type, i dont like Uncharted or Horizon or Farcry that much.
FPS i enjoy the campaign focused type like Half Life, Bioshock, Titanfall 2, Metroid Prime, and the immersive type like Prey if that counts. I dont like team based multiplayer ones like Call of Duty and Halo, although i think Unreal Tournament 2004 is a masterpiece.
Puzzle i like Portals, but thats about it, i enjoy puzzle more when its integrated into other genres rather than being one pure puzzle game.
Horror i love it, RE is my fav franchise. I like horror elements in games too.
RPG i like, we all like, lol, i prefer Western type but i appreciate and like all of them, i have favorite games among all the subgenres here, my least favorite RPG type is the Diablo style ARPG hack and slash.
I also do enjoy stealth games but not all kinds, i think Dishonored kind is my favorite but thats also immersive sim, same with Thief. But stealth is a good genre if you have the itch for it.
I also like rougelikes, they are great and are missing from poll.

I dont like Sports and Racing games anymore but i used to love them, NFS underground 2 was one of my fav games when i was in school.

I hate survival games and battle royale and never enjoyed them, same with city building and simulations type, The Sims was one of the most disappointing games i played back then, i just dont like this type of games, i also hate looter shooter like Borderlands and i dont like grind fetch build cycle like Deep Rock Galactic, those type of games are not for me.

Last edited:
Don't love your list. When I was younger and bad free time I probably would relate to what you have there.. here's where I'm at now not that anyone cares.

Classic RPGs (PS1, Super Nintendo, PSP etc)
Metroidvania type (Metroid, Wonderboy etc)
Farming ish like Stardew
Arcade games that are quick ish
3d platformers

SHA

I don't know, between 50 to a 100 or more, tbh, I enjoy average games quite often like Serious Sam.

Last edited:
Oh haha games use to be a quarter to fifty cents for just shooting random enemies on the screen. Those were the “good old days” for a lot of us. All of a sudden you have to do math and all this military strategy. At times (not all the time, mind you), that just sucks up all the fun.

Btw I got this from Party Animals. Another reason I like it cause there’s a statue of ducks with armor at the From Software studio. I saw it in an interview. Turning a duck into a knight was hard to do, so a duck is what I use.
I need to play that game, it looks goofy as shit.

Action Adventure
Platformer
Action
Arcade Racers though they are kinda dead rn
TPS but only without ludonarrative dissonance
Boomer FPS
Survival Horror but not that walking sim shit
Metroidvania
Beatemup
Visual Novel
JRPG

Though the first and last choices are suffering in my perception ever since devs started spoonfeeding content with braindead checklist/icon game design, sadly.

Last edited:
Can only pick 3 options lol?

I just picked all of the above because i like most. The only ones I don't like would be Survival, Fighting, or RTS

I have my preferences, but seems to me that any genre can be enjoyable if the right game comes along.

I never really loved 2d platformers, including classics like Mario Land, Bros, World or Donkey Kong Country. (while I hate Sonic and his rings) I played them to some extend but with other options I would not have or just less. Until Super Meat Boy changed my appreciation.
Similar with R-type & stuff, needed Resogun to appear to like one game of that type.

I have yet to find a turn based, a roguelike and a souls game I truly enjoy but might come in the future or these usually rather repetitive time wasting super slow and or just frustrating style of games are just not my thing.

oji-san

Banned
I only like limited genres, mainly action games.. can be third person or first person, but action combat and not turn-based for example. I like big open-worlds.. yes! still lol. hmm so yeah games like that. Used to play a lot of PES on PS2 but don't play soccer games anymore.. it's the only thing changed.

Top Bottom