• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you sacrificed certain game genre(s) for time?

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I’ve really scaled back from multiplayer, mainly because everything released now is unfinished GaaS stuff built around fomo and battlepasses.

MMO’s are also a no-go now for time reasons. I’d rather sink 100 hours into 10 great single player games than into farming BiS items and doing the same raid every few days.

Aenima

Just MMORPGs. When im into a MMORPG i just dont play anything else. So i choose to play a more varied range of games than being stuck in single game for months.

Humdinger

Oh sure. If I was immortal and had unlimited time, I'd play all sorts of games. But I'm not immortal, I don't have unlimited time, and so I have to prioritize.

Mostly what I've axed have been long, involved open-world games. I've also begun to avoid movie games stuffed with 6 or 7 hours of cinematics. I don't have time to sit through a bad 6 hour movie.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

I don't really axe certain genres for time, but I'm more selective with open world games due to time. So I'm still making some regrettable choices, like ToTK I bought and got bored of, but I'm aiming to not be day 1 with open world games anymore. I've got two kids and my wife has a big family, so between that and work my time is limited. I can't spend 100+ hours on games that don't respect my time.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm a tad OCD and used to have this thing with puzzle video games. There's also a part of those type of games that sorta just keeps me up at night and my mind keeps working. I sacrificed or have nearly retired the genre for about 8-years now. The closest to anything like that would be strategist RPGs but, still not quite the same. I have to draw the line with those too to just one game at a time. Otherwise, I just lose interest and many go unfinished.

ZoukGalaxy

Absolutely ALL online games (FPS, MMO, GAAS, etc...): they are POINTLESS and a pure waste of time (grinding fest).

Running Water Quill GIF by Reuben Armstrong

Corian33

Paradox style grand strategy games.

Used to play them all the time, but it’s simply not possible for me to sit down and the evening and crank out 7 hours trying to restore the Roman Empire and take over the world by 1800.

Larxia

I think the concept of doing this by genre / time is weird and kind of a shame, because you might miss some stuff you would love.

I'm just playing the games that seem like games I would really enjoy, and skip the mediocre stuff.
I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate 3, I'm at 160 hours and I still haven't finished it. Sure it's taking several months to complete, but that's not really a problem, it's not like I have to play other stuff. There really isn't a lot of games that are as memorable as Baldur's Gate 3 for me, playing one great game that you truly love is better than playing 20 random forgettable experiences.

It's more about picking the right stuff for you, not removing things.

Schmendrick

Pretty much everything that can't be played in bursts is off the table for me now. I'd love to play Baldurs Gate 3, but that game would eat a whole year worth of my gaming time...

Sakura

Multiplayer games I guess. I still play some CS2 with friends, but that's about it.
I wouldn't say it was a decision to "sacrifice" them for more time, but more that I just don't want to sit there playing MMOs or online games as they feel kind of pointless when I could be playing other games.

My new job severely limits my play time these days but Street Fighter 6 and Armored Core 6 have both been my go to games since they released. But yeah no more RPGs and JRPGs. But I've already played some of the best those genres had to offer.

Rpg or any game over 35 hours. 30 hours being a chore already.

Still I’m fast player . Harry Potter was less than 23 hours. Death stranding was also around 23 hours .

Add me to the too-long RPG list, especially JRPGs that have random encounters. Thank goodness that trend has mostly faded away over time.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I gave up on MMO's several years ago. I realized I must have some kind of character trait that makes me susceptible to the genre's various siren songs.

I'm a very social person, so the ability to figuratively live in a fantasy land with dozens of other real people in a guild every night after work is a powerful draw. Years ago I happened to glance at my time played for Final Fantasy 14 Realm Reborn, and even though I had only been playing it for about six months I had a shocking number of hours logged. Time I could have been improving myself, being with loved ones, or hell just seeing the world. So I realized I needed to remove MMO's from this hobby I enjoy.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Open-world games, basically. But I did get Starfield out of curiosity. I play less racing games now than when I was younger and had much more time to just push lap after lap to improve. Nowadays I tend to focus on shorter games with a beginning and an end, and 2023 has been a great year for those type of games. Right now: Alan Wake II.

Killjoy-NL

I guess.

I don't have the patience for leveling in jrpgs. It just feels like a massive waste of time, especially if they're turn-based as well.

But maybe it's more about my impatience rather than time-restrictions.

I also don't play Souls-like games for that reason.

I play a lot of genres. If I magically had more time, I'd play even more. However, I'm definitely at a crossroads right now when it comes to using my time wisely (I mean, this is LONG overdue). And unfortunately, I'm having to axe JRPGs and Driving/Racing/Simracing from my lineup.

"BossLackey, why don't you just play what you want to play?"

Because my brain is stupid and I need spread sheets to plan my life and limit my choices or else I would have analysis paralysis and end up not actually playing anything.

Have you had to cut certain genres from your life due to time?
Sirry, but I don't understand your rationale to exlude racing games. RPG is clear : they are usually games with slow progression, that require a long numbers of hours to be finished and are normally better played in long sessions to immerse yourself. None of those are true for racing game, they are mostly sort of arcade experience, perfectly enjoyable in short sessions and in wich the " final goal" is hardly very important . So, it seems weird to me that you excluded them mainly because of time-related reasons

Larxia

Rpg or any game over 35 hours. 30 hours being a chore already.
What do you mean exactly by a "chore"? Do you say that just because it takes "too much" time, or do you actually get bored and it feels like a chore? If so, it may just be that you don't really like these games in particular.
If you rush games to finish them quick, you're also probably not fully enjoying them, and if they feel like a chore + you have to rush them, it's probably that you just need to better pick the games you play.

It's more worth it to play one good 100 hours game that you really enjoy from beginning to end, than 5 25 hours games that you have to rush because you find them mediocre.

KentBlake

Absolutely no multiplayer and GaaS whatsoever.
No MMOs either.

The rest is fair game.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Lol yeah it’s a forever game. I have 500+ hours logged on it, could easily spend another 500 just searching for some nice planets and building some bases.
Starfield is triggering the same addiction for me, 170+ hours there in just two months.
The battery dying on my Switch is now THIS to me:
Stop It GIF

BossLackey

Gold Member
Sirry, but I don't understand your rationale to exlude racing games. RPG is clear : they are usually games with slow progression, that require a long numbers of hours to be finished and are normally better played in long sessions to immerse yourself. None of those are true for racing game, they are mostly sort of arcade experience, perfectly enjoyable in short sessions and in wich the " final goal" is hardly very important . So, it seems weird to me that you excluded them mainly because of time-related reasons

Because I played mostly racing sims. Which are entirely skill based and require a ton of practice, tuning, modding, and track time to be even remotely competent at.

Not to mention, I don’t have a standalone cockpit for my wheel, so I have to install it and uninstall it each time.

As far as the arcady stuff, wake me up when a miracle happens and PGR is brought back from the dead.

Top Bottom