• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you tried barefoot shoes?

FunkMiller

I always wear waterproof ones when I'm in Australia and taking part in water sports (not that kind, you filthy animal). Stops you treading on anything that might spike you. very comfy as well out of the water, I find.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It’s hard to explain, but I feel more connected to the world.

Yeah it's pretty insane "most" of humanity doenst have skin to earth contact on a daily (when approaching this from a spiritual pov).

Although it isn't insane when you're living in a place where that's hazardous due to natural or man made reasons.

And #handshake at that feeling of freely spreading your toes ♡

Last edited:
Yeah it's pretty insane "most" of humanity doenst have skin to earth contact on a daily (when approaching this from a spiritual pov).

Although it isn't insane when you're living in a place where that's hazardous due to natural or man made reasons.

And #handshake at that feeling of freely spreading your toes ♡

I'm more of a sky person than an earth person. Wearing shoes means I'm that much closer to the spiritual energy in space outside the earth

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm more of a sky person than an earth person. Wearing shoes means I'm that much closer to the spiritual energy in space outside the earth

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

hNFjRTO.jpg

Rockondevil

As an Aussie, more people just need to wear thongs (flip-flops).
Your feet are always free.
Unless I’m at work or running I won’t wear anything else.

Toe shoes are close, but it’s not it.
And you aren’t getting support generally, so you might as well just have thongs on.

I've been using Vivobarefoot shoes for years for running and have noticed a huge relief in my knees compared to thick soles which put more strain on you. I tried using them at work just for walking around and I'd never do that again as my feet were killing me halfway through the day.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Don't know why people are laughing at poor German Hops. Guy likes his barefoot shoes, what gives?

I have not tried barefoot shoes, but I have been both barefoot and have worn shoes, so I imagine it's kind of like that?

AJUMP23

Requesting foot pics on GAF, huh, we've either come full circle or freed the kink, you decide.

*I wear them when snorkelling or exploring rock pools/shallows with the kids.

**No shoes or thongs (flip flops) are the go to down under.
I just don’t know what these feet shoes look like.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Have you ever needed to go out of the house and needed to wear shoes, but didn't want to cut the pesky soles out of a pair to stay barefoot? Well my friend, do I have a product for you

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I grew up outside with no shoes most of the time. I feel like my feet developed some permanent callouses which allows me to go barefoot when needed but its rare these days.

Nothing like walking around on rocks barefoot when everyone else yelps in pain lol.

midnightAI

And you aren’t getting support generally, so you might as well just have thongs on.
Ah, you Aussies... I do agree that many Aussies should wear things, but I live in the UK and most people definitely shouldn't wear things.

AJUMP23

I grew up outside with no shoes most of the time. I feel like my feet developed some permanent callouses which allows me to go barefoot when needed but its rare these days.

Nothing like walking around on rocks barefoot when everyone else yelps in pain lol.
A feral mod appears.

kikkis

Few walks in and havent noticed that much difference. Need to take a break for weekend, starting to have some discomfort in the ball of feet.

Steps need to be taken bit lighter on the heel, and only big singular gravel is an issue if it gets under your foot.

Tams

I do for running, but then again I toe/forefoot run, so padding is detrimental.

I probably should try some for trekking/hiking, at least for daywalks or when going light. Very serious trekking still calls for boots with ankle support (oddly, but thankfully, they don't tend to have an enormous amount of padding).

Soodanim

I ordered some Vivobarefoots a few years ago, but they ran way too big and I never bothered to reorder in a smaller size. I've been thinking about trying again though, probably down to seeing this thread title and some stuff elsewhere like YouTube videos about bunions and natural toe spread (not new to me, just a reminder). Is theis a marketing push that is working on me? Fuck it, I wanted them anyway.

That's how we all should be, really. I bet you don't even nearly have bunions. Natural wide toe spread. Proper human feet, not like these narrow shoe-formed feet we all fall victim to in some way or another.
I do for running, but then again I toe/forefoot run, so padding is detrimental.

I probably should try some for trekking/hiking, at least for daywalks or when going light. Very serious trekking still calls for boots with ankle support (oddly, but thankfully, they don't tend to have an enormous amount of padding).
Again, from what I understand the toe/ball strike is what we should be doing as humans, landing there gives us a bit more shock absorption via the ankle flex rather than the heel strike.

Tams

I ordered some Vivobarefoots a few years ago, but they ran way too big and I never bothered to reorder in a smaller size. I've been thinking about trying again though, probably down to seeing this thread title and some stuff elsewhere like YouTube videos about bunions and natural toe spread (not new to me, just a reminder). Is theis a marketing push that is working on me? Fuck it, I wanted them anyway.

That's how we all should be, really. I bet you don't even nearly have bunions. Natural wide toe spread. Proper human feet, not like these narrow shoe-formed feet we all fall victim to in some way or another.

Again, from what I understand the toe/ball strike is what we should be doing as humans, landing there gives us a bit more shock absorption via the ankle flex rather than the heel strike.

For me it was that I was already sort of doing it from mountain running, and my P.E. teacher showed me an article about don't Central American native who in sandals made from old tyres and ran on his toes/forefoot just came a bested the best ultramarathon runners in the world and then went back to his normal life.

It was hard on flat surfaces at first, but once my muscles built up, it just became natural.

Thinking about it, heel, or even mid-foot strikers are wasting so much energy. Sure, you get bigger kick-off, but with toe-striking you need far less of one in the first place and aren't directing much energy downwards.

I do fell (mountain) running, and going up you are on your toes just naturally. Going down, anyone with experience is on their toes too, as you want your feet to be touching the ground as little as possible. You essentially climb up and fly down.

And you can tell who the normal runners are. Not that they ever last long if they don't change to the same technique.

Muffdraul

I always wondered/assumed GTA5 commercials for Toe Shoes ("Walk like a caveman!") were mocking something IRL, but I never knew exactly what until this thread. Thank you.

Rockondevil

People don’t need to wear shoes as much as they do though. Australia used to be heavy on the no footwear or thongs.
As we’ve had more immigration this seems to be slowly changing to shoes and I have no idea why people prefer it.

Thinking about it, heel, or even mid-foot strikers are wasting so much energy. Sure, you get bigger kick-off, but with toe-striking you need far less of one in the first place and aren't directing much energy downwards.
I’m a midfoot striker and it varies so much person to person though. I work in a profession that is quite physical and out of the thousands of people I’ve run with I’ve only been beaten by one.
There are others in the company that can best me, but I’ve yet to run with them.

G-Bus

Banned

Speaking my language. Wear sandals 8 months of the year. Even in the snow I'll put them on from time to time.

When we go camping or even around our yard/complex I'll be bare foot. Almost ready for barefoot hiking.

If it were more acceptable I'd be barefoot almost everywhere.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
ENTIRE POST NUKED BECAUSE I AM NOT THAT DRUNK. Y'ALL SAW NOTHING.

PS. Barefoot shoes are a scam.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Way to ruin my fun. Selfish.
You missed a pic of me lol! And you will never see it hahahaha! Now it's MY fun!

But no, it's all a big scam.

What sucks is that I had another video from a guy that loved barefoot shoes at first but then understood how harmful, and truly useless they are and it was so good and he had the data and shit. Eh!

Top Bottom