• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Having a monopoly is GOOOOOD!! (Madden blows up at retail)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Matlock said:
maddenmonopoly.gif
Nice. :lol

Amused_To_Death said:
Yawn, EA put out a similar PR last year saying they sold 1.35 million copies in the first week on 4 SKUs. So they sold 350,000 more copies on 5 SKUs and with no competition, that is definitely worth the hundreds of millions you spent on NFL exclusive.

Here's the PR from last year:
http://investor.ea.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=88189&p=irol-newsArticle&t=Regular&id=605294&

A 26% increase (350,000 copies) is impressive anyway you put it, IMO.

I understand that ESPN isn't in the mix, but that's just one week. If the month were to be up 26%, we'd have ~2.7M copies sold in the month vs ~2.1M last year. I don't think any of us were expecting that even without ESPN.

Other factors: many people bought both, the DS version is unlikely to change the mix much, and the biggest of all the PSP & 360 versions are still to come.

I still find it incredibly impressive and I think from a business standpoint, that EA absolutely made the right move by going exclusive (although, reportedly it was the NFL who started it all, so EA just did what the had to do)

Also, I haven't bought Madden since 2001, so I have absolutely no EA or Madden allegiance here.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
123rl said:
I want to fucking cry because it's so blatantly obvious that EA can just buy their way to success, and so many morons just put up with it and buy the trash that EA spew out every year.

If the fuckers do a similar thing to Konami and Winning Eleven then I WILL give up gaming forever, because the industry might as well be dead
they can't. WE doesn't use actual players. :lol

And i think it's because EA holds the exclusive rights.

123rl

Cerebral Palsy said:
You haven't even played Madden '06 have you?

I played it last year...and the year before...and the year before that ;)

No, I haven't played it and I have no intention of playing it. The Madden games are nowhere near as good as the ESPN American Football games were. Even if Madden was somehow much better this year, I still wouldn't buy an EA Sports game out of principle*

*I say EA Sports so I can get around my ethics and still get to buy Burnout and SSX4 :D

Slo

Cold Shadow said:
Winning eleven kills Madden worldwide.

If this is true, congrats to all the WE fans. Perhaps you guys could go talk about WE in some other thread, and leave us "Madden Sheep" to our blissfull ignorance?

123rl said:
I played it last year...and the year before...and the year before that ;)

No, I haven't played it and I have no intention of playing it. The Madden games are nowhere near as good as the ESPN American Football games were. Even if Madden was somehow much better this year, I still wouldn't buy an EA Sports game out of principle*

*I say EA Sports so I can get around my ethics and still get to buy Burnout and SSX4 :D

actually the better players on this board all say ESPN had even more cheap money plays than madden.

I just think NFL games in genral are fucked cause of those money plays.

Cold Shadow said:
Winning eleven kills Madden worldwide.

I really don't see how WE could sell more than Madden. It sells about a million in Japan and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't sell ~5m in Europe. Fifa Soccer perhaps could sell more than Madden(even though I don't think so) as it is definitely bigger than WE in Europe.

madara

Dang that is alot copies. I wish other genres sold so well. It funny I just dont get Madden. Everytime one comes out I think sucker, your buying same game every year. But I guess they at least add new players that got drafted in :lol

Frankfurter said:
I really don't see how WE could sell more than Madden. It sells about a million in Japan and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't sell ~5m in Europe. Fifa Soccer perhaps could sell more than Madden(even though I don't think so) as it is definitely bigger than WE in Europe.

And you are definitely not from Europe. Fifa soccer was big like 5 years ago.
PES owns now, first month sales in europe were over 1 million.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Amused_To_Death said:
So they sold 350,000 more copies on 5 SKUs and with no competition, that is definitely worth the hundreds of millions you spent on NFL exclusive.

orlyhoot7ak.png

AirBrian

Wellington said:
HPIM0118.jpg

Don't make me use it.

Where's AirBrian? I need him to come in here and repeat how 06 won't outsell 05. :lol
:lol :-(

Hey, I was wrong. I'll take that crow now.

But I still think that 2005 GCN/PS2/XBX will outsell 2006 GCN/PS2/XBX. But I'll probably be wrong again. :lol

mj1108

This just means at least 1.7 million copies traded in to EB, Gamestop & GameRush in the next 12 months to get Madden 2007.

Dave Long

Banned
sonycowboy said:
A 26% increase (350,000 copies) is impressive anyway you put it, IMO.

I understand that ESPN isn't in the mix, but that's just one week. If the month were to be up 26%, we'd have ~2.7M copies sold in the month vs ~2.1M last year. I don't think any of us were expecting that even without ESPN.

Other factors: many people bought both, the DS version is unlikely to change the mix much, and the biggest of all the PSP & 360 versions are still to come.

I still find it incredibly impressive and I think from a business standpoint, that EA absolutely made the right move by going exclusive (although, reportedly it was the NFL who started it all, so EA just did what the had to do)

Also, I haven't bought Madden since 2001, so I have absolutely no EA or Madden allegiance here.

Um... you put these numbers in the thread...

July & August ESPN sales last year
-------------------------------------------------
XBX ESPN NFL 2K5 385,660 311,359
PS2 ESPN NFL 2K5 406,083 448,433

...and then declare this increase "impressive"? How? It's pretty obvious that Madden has soaked up the 2K series sales simply because there is no competing game. The real increase is probably negligible once you remove the 2K fans from the equation who were FORCED into buying Madden if they wanted a football game with updated rosters.

GaimeGuy said:
they can't. WE doesn't use actual players. :lol

And i think it's because EA holds the exclusive rights.

konami has the license of a few european teams, but most of the roster is "made up"

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I have nothing to add to this thread.

Actually yes I do:

EA Board of Directors: "What is best in life?"

EA Staff: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

..pakbeka.. said:
konami has the license of a few european teams, but most of the roster is "made up"

WE acquired the license for the Italian, Spanish and Dutch leagues last year. EPL is the only big Euro league that still alludes Konami... yet PES still outsold FIFA on the PS2 in Europe. Also I'd guess over 95% of the players at the club level have their real names and likeness in the game. The FIFA license EA has doesn't cover the players apparently.

Dave Long said:
Um... you put these numbers in the thread...

July & August ESPN sales last year
-------------------------------------------------
XBX ESPN NFL 2K5 385,660 311,359
PS2 ESPN NFL 2K5 406,083 448,433

...and then declare this increase "impressive"? How? It's pretty obvious that Madden has soaked up the 2K series sales simply because there is no competing game. The real increase is probably negligible once you remove the 2K fans from the equation who were FORCED into buying Madden if they wanted a football game with updated rosters.

Yes I do. It's impressive. For a whole host of reasons:

Those 760,000 bought ESPN NFL2k @ 19.99. So, if Madden does increase by ~600,000:

a) They essentially managed to capture half of the ESPN buyers right off the bat (+/- some percentage of folks who bought both)

b) The dollars spent on football games increased from ESPN to Madden from $15M to $30M, which is double for those non math majors out there, despite the units actually being less. Or in another way, they'd have already eaten ALL of ESPN's dollars sales for the two months (July & August of 2004) in the first month of 2005.

c) We've still got PSP & 360 to go.

d) We're in a transition year, where console software sales are flat to down and the 10% that we are up by YTD are a result of the PSP and to a lesser extent DS software sales. And in this environment, both NCAA & Madden are showing 20%+ sales increases. And sales increases for franchises that big are incredibly difficult to come by.

EA execs are dancing on their corporate board rooms tables tonight and sipping champagne.

Fifty

Gregory said:
Indeed. Bah.

I disagree with you, but you have a Sundin avatar, so I forgive you!

Steve-O misses NFL 2K...now he's stuck giving hobos blowjobs near the train tracks just to pay the bills!

Mrbob

celeb_madden.jpg

M2_Table%20Cheers.jpg

Go Madden go!

Now let me see the 360 version so I can flip flop back onto the X360 team! :D

Oh and I'll have to buy the PSP version too.

3 MADDEN COPIES FOR ME SUCK IT DOWN GAF!

DMczaf

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/18/news_6131498.html

Next-generation systems are coming out soon, most notably the holiday release of the Xbox 360. If the company wants to keep the numbers rolling in, it's going to have to figure out a way to sell Madden NFL for the Xbox 360 to customers who only months ago dropped fifty bucks on Madden for the Xbox. Sitrin wasn't able to go into the company playbook, but he did outline the basic approach to enticing consumers to support the next-gen versions.

"Strategically, how we're approaching it is we’re going to redefine what the sports gaming experience is with Madden NFL 06 on the Xbox 360. It's going to have a different approach to football, it will be different graphically, but it will also have gameplay changes and presentation changes."

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Fight for Freeform said:
Sony must not be that happy, considering this could be a KILLER APP for the 360!
Well, it's not like EA won't have a Madden 07 ready for the PS3 (which I still believe won't launch til autumn next year in the US).

Link

The Autumn Wind
Gregory said:
So where is 2K`s american football game? No "NFL2K" games anymore from them ?
There is no picture that represents "old" enough to respond to this statement.

FightyF

Banned
Laguna X said:
Well, it's not like EA won't have a Madden 07 ready for the PS3 (which I still believe won't launch til autumn next year in the US).

I'm sure they will have it ready, but it the term killer app has been applied to games that could sell consoles. It could sell a lot of 360s. It could very well sell some PS3s, but by that time, people will be accustomed to how it looks on a next gen console.

FightyF

Banned
Why? It's one of the most consistant best selling games, ever.

Over 450 Million copies sold.

Plus, sports games rule. The best genre besides racing and fighters.

sangreal

Fight for Freeform said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Madden. Its one of the few positive things still left about the 360. I just think its sad that a game which is available in some form on every console and handheld is the best thing the 360 has going for it.

FightyF

Banned
I didn't say it would be the only killer app.

People buy consoles for different reasons, for different games. Some people don't care about the usual launch titles, which usually consist of some 1st party games, followed by some 3rd party games that aren't usually large in scope and production.

From my memory, never has a console launched with a high profile sports game. Sometimes they launch with an unproven first party sports game.

So there's two things going for MS this time round. Firstly, Madden will be released during the launch window, and secondly, it's the ONLY football game out and as such it has been selling quite well.

Also realize that there are many casual gamers that only own a PS2 and the Madden titles. They may have a couple of other games, but there is only one reason why they have that PS2, and it's for Madden. I set up an HT for a Dentist, and all he had for his PS2 were all the Maddens, plus a few other games. The first thing he wanted to see on his new TV and to hear over his new reciever and speakers was Madden. I know he's gonna get a 360 just for Madden. I can see many people doing the same.

It really has nothing to do with MS's lineup, but rather the type of gamers you'll find in the North American market.

Fight for Freeform said:

sonycowboy said:
In its 16th year and with more than 45 million copies sold, Madden NFL Football continues to stand out as the most popular football videogame franchise of all time

You're off by AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE!!

And if you believe that Madden 360 will be more than a new paint job with some new buzz words added, you're just the kind of folk EA is looking for. Not that the graphical upgrade won't be spectacular, but it's going to be the same game, IMO.

FightyF

Banned
Oops, my mistake about the total number of copies sold.

And if you believe that Madden 360 will be more than a new paint job with some new buzz words added, you're just the kind of folk EA is looking for. Not that the graphical upgrade won't be spectacular, but it's going to be the same game, IMO.

Madden 360 will be like Madden on the PS2, but with better graphics, more animation, better sounds, and far better online play.

Why stick with the inferior version?

Especially if you love the game, you'll buy the 360 for it.

Do you like Madden? Do you really like it? Prove it by buying a 360.

DMczaf

Fight for Freeform said:
Oops, my mistake about the total number of copies sold.

Madden 360 will be like Madden on the PS2, but with better graphics, more animation, better sounds, and far better online play.

Why stick with the inferior version?

Especially if you love the game, you'll buy the 360 for it.

Do you like Madden? Do you really like it? Prove it by buying a 360.

alexander14ko.jpg
alexander26kv.jpg

I'm gonna be broke this year :(

Cold Shadow said:
And you are definitely not from Europe. Fifa soccer was big like 5 years ago.
PES owns now, first month sales in europe were over 1 million.

I am definitely from Europe(to be more precise: from Germany)!

I really don't have exact figures for both games, but everytime I see top 10 charts(without numbers of course) from Germany, France or the UK Fifa is BIG like hell! Even this shitty Fifa Street game was in the top 5 or sth. for months!

Top Bottom