• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Cancels Further “Thrones” Spin-Offs

bitbydeath

Makes sense, we don't really need multiple GoT shows going on at once.

HBO president Casey Bloys says they’ve made up their minds and the one series that is going forward will be the only one – the other four have all been scratched.

He says: “there are no plans to make any others at this point…the reason we did multiple scripts, in the development process, [is] out of five we’d be lucky to get one we’re excited about.” Jane Goldman and George R.R. Martin are behind the pitch that ultimately won and is set thousands of years before the events of the series – exploring Westeros’ descent from the Golden Age of Heroes into its darkest (and longest) night.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/hbo-cancels-further-thrones-spin-offs/

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Multiple spin offs sounded like overkill. Focusing on one seems like it would be for the best.

NickFire

I'm guessing they're spinning, and the real reason is they don't want to commit to 57 years of the show anymore, which is probably what they would need to actually write, film, edit and release the 2-4 spinoffs they once contemplated.

Gander

Banned
Prequels are not usually worthwhile anyways but they will need something or those HBO subs will disappear.

Alfadawg

Banned
Would have preferred a Ned stark prequel.

But I can live with this. As long as we get Sean Bean...

Do we know anything about this version? Maybe something about bran the builder? If it's 1000s of years then it'll be before dragons and zombies

DKehoe

Better to just have the one spin off for now than to really milk it and burn people out. I’m curious to see what they do with the Age of Heroes setting.

Cato

Banned
Makes sense, we don't really need multiple GoT shows going on at once.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/hbo-cancels-further-thrones-spin-offs/

I think GoT is at the stage where they should just end it now on a high note.

It was a good run, but we are out of ideas and there is not much further we can go. Unless you
want to go where all Fantasy and Sci Fi shows go to die, in disgrace, once all ideas dry up :
Time Travel, to 1945 Germany, and help fight Hitler.

Please do not go that path. Just end it.

Alfadawg

Banned
End it?

The series has a natural end in sight. This isn't the walking dead where they just go on and on.

There is a lot of scope for more films in the series. As long as they stick with westoros, didn't find assos very interesting but that might just be Danny being a poor character

Kadayi

Banned
Makes sense to just go with one series at this stage versus oversaturation. They can always revive the other projects down the line if necessary.

Makes sense to just go with one series at this stage versus oversaturation. They can always revive the other projects down the line if necessary.
Of course, and having 1 at a time extends the years of GoT related material on HBO, and subsequently the years of subscriptions. This is the logical way to go.

KonradLaw

I don't mind spin-off, but I'm still sad that HBO didn't also pick up some another fantasy series to turn into blockbuster series.

Harksteed

Banned
I'm fine with that. With the show going down in quality quite considerably since they ran out of book material I can't see spin-offs being any better.

bitbydeath

Would have preferred a Ned stark prequel.

But I can live with this. As long as we get Sean Bean...

Do we know anything about this version? Maybe something about bran the builder? If it's 1000s of years then it'll be before dragons and zombies

George wants the show to be titled ‘The long night’. Which was one of old nans stories.

Thousands of years ago, there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts; and women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept, and felt the tears freeze on their cheeks... In that darkness the White Walkers came for the first time. They swept through cities and kingdoms, riding their dead horses, hunting with their packs of pale spiders big as hounds.

Super Mario

Banned
The new trend for popular series is that they never truly die. They just get reborn into a spin-off.

Like the people who said Breaking Bad was fine they way it is, and did not want any spin off to ruin the show. The along came Better Call Saul, and they ate those words.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Multiple spin offs sounded like overkill. Focusing on one seems like it would be for the best.

Yep. At least at once anyway. Revisit the other ideas once this spin off wraps up.

I mean it's possible to have multiple series in the same universe at the same time work--I enjoy both The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead, for instance. But it's probably a lot tougher on super high budget shows like GoT. One at a time is enough.

Fbh

Good, better just focus on one show and make it as good as possible than overmilking it and killing the interest in the franchise.
Make this one spinoff and if by the end of it interest in GOT is still high then by all means move on the the next one.

I'm curious to see how it turns out. The setting sounds interesting and it opens the doors to making some cool stuff but at the same time, the show had a notorious drop in quality once they moved past the books so I'm not yet sold on a whole show where they have no source material

The new trend for popular series is that they never truly die. They just get reborn into a spin-off.

Like the people who said Breaking Bad was fine they way it is, and did not want any spin off to ruin the show. The along came Better Call Saul, and they ate those words.

It's, IMO, the better way to milk a show. Have spinoffs instead of unnecessarily extending the core show until it's not good anymore

Super Mario

Banned
It's, IMO, the better way to milk a show. Have spinoffs instead of unnecessarily extending the core show until it's not good anymore

Agreed. Too many shows have suffered from "running out of ideas". It is much more refreshing to tell stories of other characters.

Top Bottom