• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jon Snow Spin-Off Hasn’t Been Greenlit

bitbydeath

Damn, this was the only GoT spinoff I was looking forward too.

That Jon Snow-focused “Game of Thrones” spin-off sequel series revealed last June has not been greenlit according to HBO chief Casey Bloys.
“We always have Game of Thrones scripts in development. We greenlit Dunk and Egg in the spring … I wouldn’t say there is anything else in that world that is close to a green light or anything, but we are always working on different scripts and ideas.”

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
i-dont-want-it-dont-want-it.gif

bitbydeath

John Snow was a shitty character that failed upwards throughout the series. He was a poor leader that constantly got the people around him killed.

Why would people want a spin-off about that asshole?
Because it would have been a sequel and not a prequel.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
George Rr Martin Hello GIF by Emmys

Listen here motherfucker I ain't watching any of these lame ass fanfic spinoffs until you actually put out the next fucking book. That, and also at this point you're gonna have to take off the stupid fucking hat.

George confirmed recently that he's about 75% finished. Taking his current pace and leaving room for editing, Winds of Winter should be dropping in about 2027, which would be 16 years after Dance.

Then there is A Dream of Spring, which George is adamant he hasn't even started yet.

We need to be honest. He's not finishing this series.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Jon Snow is like unseasoned and unflavoured chicken. He's boring on his own, but he's a reason to stick something more interesting in there, like some story/world building/lore, or a comedic character, or his naked wife.

It took me ages to tell any of the Stark brothers apart when I started watching, They weren't exactly the most interesting lot, and Jon Snow was no exception.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Good. Jon Snow is fookin boring, especially after he was butchered in GoT post book material.

Wow - Dunk and Egg being greenlit is huge, looking forward to that.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
George confirmed recently that he's about 75% finished. Taking his current pace and leaving room for editing, Winds of Winter should be dropping in about 2027, which would be 16 years after Dance.

Then there is A Dream of Spring, which George is adamant he hasn't even started yet.

Let Joe Abercrombie ghost write it for him.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

He clearly can’t finish the series.

There‘s no good reason why a competent, capable writer should need 16 years to write one book. The fat idiot knows the gravy train is over once he’s done, equally knows he doesn’t have it in him to give it a satisfactory ending, so is delaying as much as he can in the hopes he can live out the rest of his life on profits and promises... and never actually have to deliver. His publishing company are fools to continue to let him get away with it.

Kenpachii

John Snow was a shitty character that failed upwards throughout the series. He was a poor leader that constantly got the people around him killed.

Not only that, he was so shit he basically needed plot armor as thick as a planet to not get himself deleted every 10 seconds.

DKehoe

Of all the spin-offs that have been talked about that was one of the ones I had the least interest in.

I feel like Dunk and Egg might work better as a film series. But those stories are great so I'm interested to see what they do with them either way.

Martin has said he doesn't want someone else writing the story.

Last edited:

Jetpac

Tell us you missed the entire point of his character without telling us you missed the entire point of his character.

IDKFA

There‘s no good reason why a competent, capable writer should need 16 years to write one book. The fat idiot knows the gravy train is over once he’s done, equally knows he doesn’t have it in him to give it a satisfactory ending, so is delaying as much as he can in the hopes he can live out the rest of his life on profits and promises... and never actually have to deliver. His publishing company are fools to continue to let him get away with it.

This.

I used to defend George, but it's clear that finishing ASOIAF isn't his number one priority. That's not just me saying that. He said a year or so ago that all his side projects are his main priorities, when in reality this series should be his magnum opus.

Also, look at the false promises. In 2015 (eight years ago!) he told his publishers that he could have the book finished by Q4 that year. How did it go from the book being practically finished in 2015 to still being years away in 2023? Either he just lost the passion and is riding this gravy train, or he decided to rewrite the whole book. Then there was the promise that Winds would be finished by 2020 world con. Here we are 3 years later and it's still unfinished.

Dream will never come out. At this pace I'll be pushing 60 the he finishes it (which would make George 95!) , which would be crazy considering I was 15 when I started the series in 2000. He just needs to get on with it and dump all other projects, or just hand it over to another writer such as Joe Abercrombie as jufonuk jufonuk suggested.

Tams

I mean, he's definitely set for life, and his family's.

Nah, he'd just rather write his shitty blog.

DKehoe

He won't have a choice. Either he finishes it, or as it's so popular, someone else will.
Or his estate doesn't let anyone else write it and respects his wishes. I can't imagine his wife would go against his wishes. Maybe much further down the line whoever has control of his estate might allow someone to but that would be a while off.

Fans don't own the series. Just because some want that to happen doesn't mean they get it.

Tams

Or his estate doesn't let anyone else write it and respects his wishes. I can't imagine his wife would go against his wishes. Maybe much further down the line whoever has control of his estate might allow someone to but that would be a while off.

Fans don't own the series. Just because some want that to happen doesn't mean they get it.

That's about his legacy though; that's what he's on about there.

And in that regard, within living memory someone else is certain to write an official completion. There's too much money, if anything else, in it.

DKehoe

That's about his legacy though; that's what he's on about there.

And in that regard, within living memory someone else is certain to write an official completion. There's too much money, if anything else, in it.
Yeh it's understandable he wouldn't want someone else taking control of something he's put so much of himself into. It's his work and he can decide what should be done with it. That's his legacy.

Just because there's money to be made in something doesn't mean it should be done. But it'll probably happen when the estate is controlled by someone who didn't have a direct connection with him.

IDKFA

Yeh it's understandable he wouldn't want someone else taking control of something he's put so much of himself into. It's his work and he can decide what should be done with it. That's his legacy.

Just because there's money to be made in something doesn't mean it should be done. But it'll probably happen when the estate is controlled by someone who didn't have a direct connection with him.

I would argue that George is obliged to finish the series, or arrange for it to be finished if he doesn't do it himself.

People have spent money and time on the books with the promise the series would be finished. His fans have made him a millionaire many times over. He owes his fans a completed series.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Feels like it's been at 75% for years now, it's like one of those Window Update screens that just hangs there at one value.
75% of a 500 pages book and 75% of a 2000 pages book is not the same. And we know that the closer he will be to the end the harder it will be. But honestly I just abandoned a long time ago. We are looking at his death as much as his next book at this point, and that is a sobering thought to me.
I would argue that George is obliged to finish the series, or arrange for it to be finished if he doesn't do it himself.

People have spent money and time on the books with the promise the series would be finished. His fans have made him a millionaire many times over. He owes his fans a completed series.
For me, he fulfilled that with the HPO series. There is a clear ending, and the books will forever be compared to it if he does make them. I stopped at season 4 and decided to wait for the next book. I got spoiled for a lot ot things since then but I have yet to look at it. When the next book is out, or he dies and we have a clear answer about what will happen to his work I will look at the rest. But he don't owe us to make a completed series. Howewer, he does owes us not to lie about it. If he really don't want to work on it he will say so one day. In the meantime, we can just wait.

IDKFA

75% of a 500 pages book and 75% of a 2000 pages book is not the same. And we know that the closer he will be to the end the harder it will be. But honestly I just abandoned a long time ago. We are looking at his death as much as his next book at this point, and that is a sobering thought to me.

For me, he fulfilled that with the HPO series. There is a clear ending, and the books will forever be compared to it if he does make them. I stopped at season 4 and decided to wait for the next book. I got spoiled for a lot ot things since then but I have yet to look at it. When the next book is out, or he dies and we have a clear answer about what will happen to his work I will look at the rest. But he don't owe us to make a completed series. Howewer, he does owes us not to lie about it. If he really don't want to work on it he will say so one day. In the meantime, we can just wait.

Disagree. There are a lot of big characters in the book that never make it to the TV show. There are also major unresolved events in the books that aren't in the TV show. The show was so different to the books by the end that it might as well be a completely different story.

George has promised an end from day one. People have paid money and invested time expecting an end to the series. He is 100% obliged to see it finished. If he was giving it out for free, then sure there's no obligation. However, he's sold these books with a promise of an end.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Maybe not Joe as I think his voice may be too distinct, DEFINITELY not Sanderson (waaaaaaaay too milquetoast), but someone needs to be groomed for this. Enough folks have ripped it off, fuck, just give it to the James S.A. Corey guys (The Expanse) they'd do a passable job I think.

DKehoe

How would you argue he has to arrange for it to be finished if he doesn't do it? It's his work. He can do what he wants with it. Does the audience's demand override the artist's agency? If there is a tipping point then where exactly does it come in?

People have spent time and money on the books they've gotten. Would I like it if the series was finished? Sure, that'd be great. It would be a shame and massively disappointing if the series didn't get an ending. But I'm not entitled to that no matter how much I want it. It's not like any of us have a contract guaranteeing us a finished story.

Also, he has said he's working on it. Clearly it's taking longer than expected but it is what it is. He's a slow writer working on a big, complicated book.

IDKFA

How would you argue he has to arrange for it to be finished if he doesn't do it? It's his work. He can do what he wants with it. Does the audience's demand override the artist's agency? If there is a tipping point then where exactly does it come in?

People have spent time and money on the books they've gotten. Would I like it if the series was finished? Sure, that'd be great. It would be a shame and massively disappointing if the series didn't get an ending. But I'm not entitled to that no matter how much I want it. It's not like any of us have a contract guaranteeing us a finished story.

Also, he has said he's working on it. Clearly it's taking longer than expected but it is what it is. He's a slow writer working on a big, complicated book.

If George died without finishing the series, the option is to either get somebody else to finish it or take the series off sale. Nobody is going to spend time and money buying into a series that is never going to be finished, something I doubt George would want for his estate.

The public can't demand anything. This is why I said he was obliged. It's the right thing to do, especially as he's promised the series will be finished.

George might have said that nobody will finish the series when he dies, but I'm call BS. First, for the reasons outlined above and second he wouldn't want to be remembered as the man who didn't finish one of the greatest fantasy series of all time.

Madflavor

That's a shame. Could've been an opportunity to reverse and remedy some of the issues Season 8 had.

Oh well.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If George died without finishing the series, the option is to either get somebody else to finish it or take the series off sale. Nobody is going to spend time and money buying into a series that is never going to be finished, something I doubt George would want for his estate.
He doesn't have an estate, or at least no bloodline to leave it to. I'm not sure how binding any requests he makes would be to whatever trust he has set up to take over (and I gotta think he has SOMETHING, there is a lot of GOT money under his control, not to mention all his other passions).

Ultimately though, there are plenty of abandoned and neglected fantasy worlds out there, what does ASOIAF -really- have that could stand the test of time? It was always GRRMs meticulous plotting, careful curation of historical events to port over, -just- the right amount of "what is left unsaid" to fuel speculation, and of course, his fantastic dialogue and pacing, that made the series so engrossing. I don't know that the actual mystery of Valeria, the Others, or whatever really has deep hooks in anyone.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Disagree. There are a lot of big characters in the book that never make it to the TV show. There are also major unresolved events in the books that aren't in the TV show. The show was so different to the books by the end that it might as well be a completely different story.

George has promised an end from day one. People have paid money and invested time expecting an end to the series. He is 100% obliged to see it finished. If he was giving it out for free, then sure there's no obligation. However, he's sold these books with a promise of an end.
When did he do that promise? And when did you consider it so important for appreciating what was already accomplished? I read the books before the series and honestly I never read one of his books thinking that I needed the end to like them. In a sense I liked them like I liked Harry potter. If Rowling did not finish the books, I would have looked at fanfictions to scratch that itch. Same as Eragon. I admit that if there is a 6th book I would think that the 7th would never arrive and read it with suspicion as I know that probably all questions left unanswered in it will need to be said by him in interviews. For me the promise of a good book was enough. But as I have often read unfinished stories I may be different than the norm.

IDKFA

He doesn't have an estate, or at least no bloodline to leave it to. I'm not sure how binding any requests he makes would be to whatever trust he has set up to take over (and I gotta think he has SOMETHING, there is a lot of GOT money under his control, not to mention all his other passions).

He's married, no? He has an estate.

When did he do that promise?

He probably does it every year. Here is an example from 2018 when Fire and Blood part 1 was released.

And most of all, my thanks go out to my fans and readers. I know you want WINDS, and I am going to give it to you… but I am delighted that you stayed with me for this one as well. Your patience and unflagging support means the world to me.

Enjoy the read. Me, I am back in my fortress of solitude, and back in Westeros. It won’t be tomorrow, and it won’t be next week, but you will get the end of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/12/10/two-weeks-to-remember/

He'll finish it, or he'll arrange for somebody else to. We will get an end, but it's going to be a very long wait.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
He's married, no? He has an estate.

He probably does it every year. Here is an example from 2018 when Fire and Blood part 1 was released.

And most of all, my thanks go out to my fans and readers. I know you want WINDS, and I am going to give it to you… but I am delighted that you stayed with me for this one as well. Your patience and unflagging support means the world to me.

Enjoy the read. Me, I am back in my fortress of solitude, and back in Westeros. It won’t be tomorrow, and it won’t be next week, but you will get the end of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2018/12/10/two-weeks-to-remember/

He'll finish it, or he'll arrange for somebody else to. We will get an end, but it's going to be a very long wait.
Thanks. As for waiting, I know. At least I am not impatient at the moment. I moved on and will read them all again when we get more info on it.

Top Bottom