• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has greenlit Lewis & Clark miniseries starring Casey Affleck & Matt. Schoenaerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Nice! First I am hearing of this. I have been wondering when he next HBO historical miniseries would materialize. It's been too long.

What has it been 2010 and The Pacific?
Yes, all of the miniseries in ensuing years have been strictly fictional. We get the Show Me a Hero mini starting in August, however.

Yes, all of the miniseries in ensuing years have been strictly fictional. We get the Show Me a Hero mini starting in August, however.
I was going to say John Adams but that was in 2008(!!) and good lord we're all getting old.

Dan

^ Hah, yeah. That was my big complaint with John Adams. I have no idea what Tom Hooper and his DPs were thinking with that. It was always random without any thematic or atmospheric point.

I was going to say John Adams but that was in 2008(!!) and good lord we're all getting old.
From the Earth to the Moon, and then Band of Brothers in an even bigger way, are what got me into serialized television. BoB was half a lifetime ago.

Masters of the Air to eventually materialize during my midlife crisis. Eep.

Blader

HBO hits the brakes on yet another new production:

According to Deadline, the star-studded production (Casey Affleck and Matthias Schoenaerts are in the lead roles, with Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Gary Goetzman, Dede Gardner, Tim Kelly, and Adam Leizpig executive producing) has seen “internal and external, weather-related factors,” leading to a “rough shoot” so far.

That’s led HBO to make two major changes to the production, replacing director John Curran and director of photography Rob Hardy over “creative reasons” (were they trying to pull an Alejandro González Iñárritu and The Revenant and go for total, brutal authenticity?) HBO has not not named a new director, nor a date for a production restart as of yet.

http://collider.com/lewis-and-clark-hbo-halts-miniseres-production/

I really think it's about time to have a "Here's what HBO has fucked up today" thread.

What is going on over there? It's just one thing after another.

xbhaskarx

Casey Affleck = will watch

HBO hits the brakes on yet another new production:

That’s led HBO to make two major changes to the production, replacing director John Curran and director of photography Rob Hardy over “creative reasons” (were they trying to pull an Alejandro González Iñárritu and The Revenant and go for total, brutal authenticity?)

http://collider.com/lewis-and-clark-hbo-halts-miniseres-production/

Wait, what would be the problem with that??

- HBO Miniseries ‘Lewis And Clark’ To Resume Production In Spring
HBO’s high-profile six-hour miniseries Lewis And Clark, starring Casey Affleck and Matthias Schoenaerts, will resume production in the spring. I hear the cast already has been informed of the new start date.

“As we looked at the schedule for Lewis and Clark and assessed the winter weather challenges ahead, we decided to remount the production in the spring,” HBO said in a statement to Deadline. “We are currently searching for a new director and director of photography. We are also in conversations now with the actors’ representatives to coordinate their schedules for next year.”

The decision to resume filming next year comes three weeks after the pay cable network shut down filming on the project temporarily after a rough early going, with internal as well as external, weather-related factors, impacting the production. “For creative reasons, director John Curran and director of photography Rob Hardy will be leaving the production,” HBO said at the time.

Calgary, where the mini is being filmed, is currently under heavy smoke alert as wildfires have been raging in the area.

Based on the book Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose, Lewis And Clark tells the story of America’s first contact with the land and native tribes of the country west of the Mississippi River. The miniseries follows the epic journey of the Corps of Discovery and its captains, Meriwether Lewis (Affleck) and William Clark (Schoenaerts), who traverse uncharted territory on a mission to deliver President Jefferson’s message of sovereignty as they search for his fabled all-water route to the Pacific.

Lewis and Clark, for HBO and National Geographic Studios, comes from Playtone, Plan B and Class 5 production; Michelle Ashford, Curran and Edward Norton are the writers. Executive producing are Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman, Norton, Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Tim Kelly and Adam Leipzig.

BruceCLea

Banned
Him:

200.gif

I'm there.

Dan

Hopefully this comes together well under a new director...

- THR: HBO Goes Back to Drawing Board With 'Lewis and Clark' Miniseries
Lewis and Clark has hit another bump in the road — and this time it's entirely changing course.

HBO is all but abandoning the six-part miniseries starring Casey Affleck and Matthias Schoenaerts. “We have decided to redevelop Lewis and Clark with Michelle Ashford writing,” HBO said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, confirming that it is going back to the drawing board with the high-profile historical drama.

Ashford, who is currently serving as the showrunner on Showtime's Masters of Sex, penned the original script with Ed Norton and John Curran (The Painted Veil). Once her rewrite comes in, the cabler will have to greenlight the project a second time. In the event that the new version does move forward, HBO will then evaluate whether or not previously shot footage is usable (sources say several episodes were filmed) and if roles will be recast.

The project, which had been gestating at the network for years before it got the go-ahead, first suffered a blow in August when it lost its director, Curran, and director of photography, Roby Hardy, over creative differences. Production was shuttered in the wake of the key departures, with filming reportedly set to pick back up in the spring. Now, it’s unclear whether production will ever start up again. Sources say that the series’ props and costumes are being held in storage in Canada, where the first iteration was shot.
Welp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom