• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR Showcase games? (PC)

Senua

I just got a C3 and it's blowing me away, coming from a 15 year old LCD Sony Bravia... I was not ready. Forza Horizon 5 looks especially incredible with HDR but most of my games are older and don't support such frivolities.

So I wana buy some more games that support HDR but I'm asking you lovely bunch which games frazzled your corneas the most? Which razzled and dazzled you? Help me spend my hard earned squid wisely. Game quality is secondary but of course it would be nice if that wasn't guff too.

Cheers!

giphy.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Be sure to download windows hdr calibration tool from m$ store. Then decide if you want t use HDR HGIG or DTM in your tv settings. Calibrate with on or the other.
HGIG is a safer, more true setting. So you will calibrate with it on and calibrate and play games with it on. But DTM is usually less correct but brighter and I like it personally

Uncharted 4 if hdr on it is anything like on ps5.
Final fantasy 7 remake (wow. Even better hdr than uncharted)
Death Stranding
Resident Evil 2,3,4 remakes and Vilalge. Some of best HDR there is.
Elden Ring looks amazing with HDR. Not the best contrast showcase but good colors.
Hogwarts Legacy can look stunning.
Armored Core 6 of course.
edit: Lies of P
edit: Returnal

dazzle you can expect from uncharted 4

Last edited:

Senua

Be sure to download windows hdr calibration tool from m$ store. Then decide if you want t use HDR HGIG or DTM in your tv settings. Calibrate with on or the other.
HGIG is a safer, more true setting. So you will calibrate with it on and calibrate and play games with it on. But DTM is usually less correct but brighter and I like it personally
I'm on Windows 10 so can't download the calibration tool, DAMN YOU MS. I do have Death Stranding actually I completely forgot about that. I already played Uncharted 4 on PS4 and I hate buying games again because i'm tight but it might have to be done because that was a stunner even then, would love to see the difference.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm on Windows 10 so can't download the calibration tool, DAMN YOU MS. I do have Death Stranding actually I completely forgot about that. I already played Uncharted 4 on PS4 and I hate buying games again because i'm tight but it might have to be done because that was a stunner even then, would love to see the difference.
Just upgrade to 11. That's like 5 minutes of work

Monserrat

Banned
Dead Island 2, Uncharted, Horizon zero Dawn, Star wars Battlefront 2, Hogwarts, Hitman 3, all the Resident Evil remasters, Forza Horizon 5... and using Special K HDR, Batman Arkham Knight, Robocop, The Ascent, Dirt Rally 2, Moto GP 22, and a few others.

YCoCg

If you don't mind modding then check out Special K, it's a plugin that can force HDR on games either by Auto or people have uploaded profiles for specific games.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Horizon Zero Dawn was insane.

Don’t know about other brands but on my A1 you can turn off HDR on the TV. Had my buddies over when I bought the TV. Booted the game HDR off, then turn it on ingame to show the difference. Two of my friends went to by an OLED the next day.

GHG

Control with this mod:

Also Forza Horizon 5, flight sim 2020 and The Witcher 3.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Control with this mod:

nah. HDR is still much more washed out than most of games in this thread. Tried it and was underwhelmed

Thyuda

Games which haven't been mentioned yet:

Baldur's Gate 3 has amazing HDR implementation, looks phenomenal.
An older title: Shadow of the Tomb Raider also looks amazing.

DanielG165

Gears 5
Forza Horizon 3&5
Doom Eternal
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Hogwarts Legacy
Ori: Will of the Wisps
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Cyberpunk 2077
Spider-Man Remastered
Miles Morales
Flight Simulator

Just a few off the top of my head.

King Dazzar

I never tried it on PC. But the Coalition were always on the top tier side of HDR implementations and my understanding is that they were involved in the development of Auto HDR. Gears 5 has superb HDR. All the more modern/recent Resident Evil games have very scalable HDR on console at least, able to cater for low nit displays up to circa 4k nit displays too. As chessy as they may well be, take a look at CoD too. CoD MW 2019 has sublime HDR. On my 3k nit display, the London Picadilly campaign mission is demo worthy. Car headlights etc are blinding with lots of excellent contrast too as its set at night.

GHG

nah. HDR is still much more washed out than most of games in this thread. Tried it and was underwhelmed

You need to make sure you have it set up right.

It involves running the game once and then manually going into the renderer.ini file and setting your hdr nits.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Cyberpunk 2077’s HDR is still busted with raised blacks. It actually looks a lot better if you use SDR with Windows 11 auto-HDR

King Dazzar

Should mention Dead Space Remake too. Whilst there is no controlling the fixed 4k nit peak. Your C3 will tone map up to 4k nit well.

Top Bottom