• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 runs at 30 fps with dynamic resolution on both Xbox Series S and Series X according to GamePro (there are no graphics modes)

Bergoglio

Ratchet Rift apart (which is still arguably one of the best-looking games this gen so far complete with RT and all even in its 60fps mode), Returnal, Demons Souls (which even launched with the console), Alan Wake 2 (a proper UE5 game), Stellar Blade, hell even FF16 and now rebirth... ALL had 60fps modes. And I could list out more if you want.

I do feel its somewhat disingenuous to dismiss a lot of the other stuff as "souped up PS4" games, when they boasted proper current-gen features (like RT in the case of SM2) and not at the same time address the fact that games like Redfall 2 exist.

I am not even here saying I disagree with you, yh, the next ND and Barlog projects could be 30fps affairs, I am just saying, that till that happens, we have no reason to assume that would be the case. Especially if we are using what Xbox Studios does as our point of reference.
Rift Apart is the only first party title with 60 fps and RT etc. We'll see if ND will launch a new 60 fps title with the graphic detail we expect from them. Same thing for Santa Monica. Something tells me that on the base PS5 they will be at 30, while on the PS5 Pro they will still be at 30... but with a 60 mode.

Rift Apart is the only first party title with 60 fps and RT etc. We'll see if ND will launch a new 60 fps title with the graphic detail we expect from them. Same thing for Santa Monica. Something tells me that on the base PS5 they will be at 30, while on the PS5 Pro they will still be at 30... but with a 60 mode.

What about Spiderman 2? That has RT in all modes if I'm not wrong.

Lol whoever thought 30fps will go away, is an idiot.

There will always be 30fps games. People ought to read that interview with Remedy again where he talked about 30fps being a design decision to push graphical fidelity for certain games.
Sorry mate, you can't talk like a reasonable person here. It's 60fps or nothing and there's no reason why we can't get 60fps and cutting edge graphics at the same time.

In all seriousness. You're bang on with that and a lot of developers will sacrifice 60fps to get cutting edge visuals. That's the way consoles have always been and always will be. If you want it all, you're going to need to buy hardware a lot more expensive than £500. You get great value from consoles, but don't expect miracles.

Ozriel

M$FT
I do feel a conversation needs to be had about MS Studios though. This is not the first time they have put out a game that only had a 30fps mode, unless Redfall also falls into your "technical showcase" description. And as I said earlier, DF showed that using that replica XS CPU paired with a 6700 GPU, the XS could run starfield at 60fps when the rez was dropped. Albeit not consistently, but that is just an indication that with more time spent on optimizing the engine, they could have got a 60fps mode in there. They took the easy way out instead and just capped the framerate to 30fps across the board and called it an artistic choice.

Redfall was shipped hot, and they promised a 60fps mode which eventually was patched in.

For Starfield, Digital Foundry’s test came months post launch with a beta version of a performance update patch…and that saw an uplift to levels that certainly wouldn’t have been a locked 60fps. After a one year delay, it was probably the right call to not delay further for a performance mode that the mass market doesn’t really care about.

And then there’s this game. It’s clearly pushing ‘next gen’ visuals. They’ve made the call to maximize on visuals vs framerate on limited console hardware, especially with UE5’s new features notorious for being demanding on hardware.

So what’s the ‘conversation’ about? That so far they’ve made concessions to 30fps, a concession the mainstream audience doesn’t care about?

Not really, it will be a meltdown once GTA Vi is announced as 30 fps only on XSX/PS5

There won’t be any meltdown if/when that happens.

After Dragon’s Dogma and the flood of people happy to play the last two Final Fantasy games in Fidelity mode to avoid compromise, I’m surprised to see so much bellyaching about 30fps here. But Fredrik Fredrik was right about motives behind the discourse when it comes to titles like these.

Mr.Phoenix

Not true, so is Spiderman 2. And thats an even bigger game than Rift Apart.

Look, my point here is simple, regardless of how you or anyone chooses to look at things, is that a platform can only be judged on the body of work they have done. Not on what they "may" do. And what sony has done, is have a 60fps mode in every single game they have published (and even the third-party games they have directly partnered with).

And here is the thing, you look (or at least should look so this is crazy to me) to the platform holders to be the ones that make the absolute most of their hardware. That does things you could even excuse third parties to not be able to do. One platform has shown repeatedly, what kinda standards it has and has set. The other... for whatever reason, seems to not do the same.

Its not the end of the world, but its something worth noting.

Not true, so is Spiderman 2. And thats an even bigger game than Rift Apart.

Look, my point here is simple, regardless of how you or anyone chooses to look at things, is that a platform can only be judged on the body of work they have done. Not on what they "may" do. And what sony has done, is have a 60fps mode in every single game they have published (and even the third-party games they have directly partnered with).

And here is the thing, you look (or at least should look so this is crazy to me) to the platform holders to be the ones that make the absolute most of their hardware. That does things you could even excuse third parties to not be able to do. One platform has shown repeatedly, what kinda standards it has and has set. The other... for whatever reason, seems to not do the same.

Its not the end of the world, but its something worth noting.
Hellblade 1 is now 60 fps with ray tracing. I think they would do it if they could. Anyway, I was just making a prediction for discussion. We'll have to wait and see.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
dance-cute.gif

I take it this kind of game isn’t your cup of tea.

I do like a good sleeping movie from time to time.

30 is fine as long as the graphics are worth it I'm OK with it.
I wish people would just accept what the devs want to do. If they want 30 or 60 for their game let then make the choice and accept it.
If some times a game offers a choice to the gamer then that's fine too. In this case the developers decided they wanted the game to looks it's best so let's accept that and judge the game on what it is not what people think it should be.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Best news all year. Salute to Ninja Theory.

I will buy 2 copies now.

I remember people laughing at me when I said this game would not have a performance mode. GTA 6 is next (until ps5 pro)

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Hellblade 1 is now 60 fps with ray tracing. I think they would do it if they could. Anyway, I was just making a prediction for discussion. We'll have to wait and see.
Yh I know, this is nothing serious, we are just talking.

And as for what you said, thats kinda my point. I believe that having a decent 60fps mode is something a developer does at the start of the development process. It kinda needs to inform every decision and choice you make. I am just saying, that with Xbox, I am noticing that the 60fps mode seems to never be a priority for them.

Different strategy or approach I guess.

shamoomoo

Another so-called Microsoft exclusive stuck on 30 fps....

12 teraflops baby, the most powerful console ever...

LOL
I think the biggest issue was the Series S,I don't know if this game is that 60fps is off the table but I think a performance is possible if Team Ninja only focus on the Series X.

onQ123

How did people go from claiming that most games would be 30fps this generation to crying whenever we have a 30fps game? Lol

Nothing that I seen so far in this game needs 60fps

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's not begging if you know it's coming. 🙃

Why wait a year+ when you can join us day 1 :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

4C0dXTI.jpg

Not really, it will be a meltdown once GTA Vi is announced as 30 fps only on XSX/PS5

GTA VI will be 30 FPS on the current gen consoles, anyone thinking it ships with a 60 FPS mode on PS5/Series is just inhaling copium.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

This game was made for PS5Pro.

Just like Dragon's Dogma 2 and others. Funny to read some of these replies, clueless on how development targets work, it's not a failed result, just a decision. These games will run 60 on pro machines, oh and btw get used to more games running 30fps on PS5 since the Pro console does actually exist for a reason.

King Dazzar

GTA VI will be 30 FPS on the current gen consoles, anyone thinking it ships with a 60 FPS mode on PS5/Series is just inhaling copium.
Your take is the safer bet. Yet, I'm a bit more optimistic than that. We simply dont know at this point. When I think how well RDR2 ran on last gen and on X1X full 4k at a locked 30fps... I'm not so sure.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The "Worlds most powerful console EVAH", also has "The worlds most 30 fps games EVAH".
It's still a console. That's why I rather stayed on PC and will go to non-Nintendo consoles only for some classics here and there.

Been thinking on getting an Xbox for plugging it on my desk monitors, mouse and keyboard so I don't have to worry about kernel level anticheat BTW, but for playing single players from the couch? I got a gaming PC specifically for that.

I'm currently not that much above than consoles tho, but can just skip the game for now and play it later with better GPU.

You can't remove the fucking black bars? I can't believe we are here again... hope for a mod. I'm not high for this game/series, but things like this piss me off :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

rm082e

I get that it's fun to bash Xbox, but should 30fps just be assumed/expected at this point given the specs of the S?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL.

To be fair, Hellblade games have such low amounts of gameplay, it wont make a difference. But if you're an unskippable cutscene lover hoping for 60 fps, your dreams are dashed.

rm082e

But they told us that Series X was their mid-gen: the 4K/60 fps machine UP to 120 fps

Now they get a pass because of Series S? That still has the same CPU as Series X?
So I hit the reply button on that post, refreshed, and saw the post from solidus12 with the guy quoting them saying they would have 60fps modes for Series X, which I had not heard before.

bdc00b3d-45d1-4a3e-8bde-2580bdd5264d_text.gif

MarkMe2525

Personally, I typically play these "cinematic" type games at 30 fps from the get go, so no issue here. In saying that, if people are willing to deal with a blurry+noisy image to achieve 60fps gameplay, then it should be an option.

Top Bottom