• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II | Preview Thread

Robb

Gold Member
This is sounding pretty much as expected. Very disappointed hearing they seemingly haven’t done much with the environmental puzzles and exploration.

Combat sounds fine, but that wasn’t a very exciting part of the first game to begin with imo. Sound design seems to be top notch at least, which is great.

Nonsense, there are numerous other Xbox IPs people would be way more excited to see.

No-one said it was a bad thing that Microsoft has enabled NT to make a sequel. You appear to have completely missed the point. The point was that Phil Spencer purchased NT due to their ability to produce a well received AAA game cheaply and in a timely manner. Am I missing something here? Senuas Sacrifice released in Summer 2017, the sequel has been almost 7 years in development, has cost multiple times what the original cost and is questionable, due to the games fringe appeal, whether there is enough interest to justify the investment. Again, this is exactly the kind of poor decision making that is sinking the Xbox brand.

I'm certain there will be a lot of fun to be had in exploring just how messed up Senua is in the sequel.

Where did Phil say they specifically acquired NT because they can make quick cheap AAA games? There’s nothing wrong with expanding a studio and allowing them to branch out.

Keep grasping for straws though.

Where did Phil say they specifically acquired NT because they can make quick cheap AAA games? There’s nothing wrong with expanding a studio and allowing them to branch out.

Keep grasping for straws though.

You must have missed that, don't you recall the entire 'Indie AAA' thing that NT coined to describe Senuas Sacrifice? I'm amazed that you are arguing with me about this given how ignorant you appear. I've heard Phil Spencer talk about NT in a video praising their approach to the development of Senuas Sacrifice when discussing the acquisition. I don't have time to scrub through old videos right now but here is a quote from Matt Booty (Global head of Xbox Studios) touching on the same points...

"I think the main thing with Ninja Theory, is that it is getting more difficult to maintain a studio of that size - of about 100 people - making games that take between two/two and a half years. It's tough. The push for those studios is to orient toward very high production values, and they actually end up in a sphere where they're being compared to AAA. But they're clearly bigger and have more substantial funding needs than a typical small indie." He goes on to say that he wants to help them focus own creating great games without worrying about where the next project is coming from.

If you care to look there was plenty of chatter surrounding all these points at the time of acquisition. That good enough for you?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Go on then, next gen games please, more than a handful. Next gen graphics? AI? Physics?
So you can nitpick and disagree? I’m good. Like I said to him - live in your world. It’s not something that is objective (at least, not in this context).

I have a better idea - define what next gen SHOULD look/play/perform like. Then if games don’t make the cut for you, roll wit it.

djjinx2

So you can nitpick and disagree? I’m good. Like I said to him - live in your world. It’s not something that is objective (at least, not in this context).

I have a better idea - define what next gen SHOULD look/play/perform like. Then if games don’t make the cut for you, roll wit it.
You answered plenty of games look next gen without actually giving an example though.

Your comparing how this looks to others as in they all look next gen but won't name "more than a handful"

Anyways I'm not shitting up the thread anymore

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

acwJeuD.jpg

Let's fuck up some vikings !

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
You answered plenty of games look next gen without actually giving an example though.

Your comparing how this looks to others as in they all look next gen but won't name "more than a handful"

Anyways I'm not shitting up the thread anymore
Sure, to me, more than a handful of games look better than the best of what I saw last gen. If I name them, we’re needlessly going to remain off topic to prove nothing but people have opinions — and I don’t mean that as a slight to you.

On the flip side, there is no question that Hellblade II will be another one of those games!

Last edited:
You must have missed that, don't you recall the entire 'Indie AAA' thing that NT coined to describe Senuas Sacrifice? I'm amazed that you are arguing with me about this given how ignorant you appear. I've heard Phil Spencer talk about NT in a video praising their approach to the development of Senuas Sacrifice when discussing the acquisition. I don't have time to scrub through old videos right now but here is a quote from Matt Booty (Global head of Xbox Studios) touching on the same points...

"I think the main thing with Ninja Theory, is that it is getting more difficult to maintain a studio of that size - of about 100 people - making games that take between two/two and a half years. It's tough. The push for those studios is to orient toward very high production values, and they actually end up in a sphere where they're being compared to AAA. But they're clearly bigger and have more substantial funding needs than a typical small indie." He goes on to say that he wants to help them focus own creating great games without worrying about where the next project is coming from.

If you care to look there was plenty of chatter surrounding all these points at the time of acquisition. That good enough for you?

That’s a lot of words for zero substance. Feel free to @ me when you find Spencer or someone literally saying they bought NT because they can make cheap AAA games and that they never intend to expand the studio or grow beyond that. I have a feeling you won’t find any but you’ll type up more novels anyway.

And that’s ignoring the fact that as I already said, if they slapped NT on some beloved Xbox IP and had them churn out some “cheap AAA game” then you and others would just criticize that. There’s plenty of valid criticism you can toss at MS. “oh no, they’re expanding their studios, investing in them and allowing them to make whatever they want!!” is just a dumb take. Maybe find a safe space where you won’t get called out for such a dumb take if it bothers you that much 🤷‍♂️

That’s a lot of words for zero substance. Feel free to @ me when you find Spencer or someone literally saying they bought NT because they can make cheap AAA games and that they never intend to expand the studio or grow beyond that. I have a feeling you won’t find any but you’ll type up more novels anyway.

And that’s ignoring the fact that as I already said, if they slapped NT on some beloved Xbox IP and had them churn out some “cheap AAA game” then you and others would just criticize that. There’s plenty of valid criticism you can toss at MS. “oh no, they’re expanding their studios, investing in them and allowing them to make whatever they want!!” is just a dumb take. Maybe find a safe space where you won’t get called out for such a dumb take if it bothers you that much 🤷‍♂️

They literally bought NT so they could make cheap AAA lite games for GamePass. Whats not to get? Matt Booty said it clearly in multiple interviews like the very one I quoted if you'd care to look. Phil Spencer also said much the same thing at the time in interviews - again if you would care to look. It's well established that Senuas Sacrifice was developed cheaply with an extremely small team - if you would care to look. It was also stated clearly in multiple interviews with co-founder Taneem Antoniadas (the one that recently left) - if you would care to look. You are so belligerently ignorant that it's difficult to actually converse with you.

What you call a 'fact' I call meaningless assumptions. My personal belief is that historic Xbox IPs should be distributed across first party studios. That first party studios should have to earn the right to work on some of the classic IPs left gathering dust. 'dumb take' - you must be American, I get it now. All you have done is put words in my mouth. I never criticised Microsoft investment, I critiqued whether it worth the investment for an unproven unappealing IP. You have no discernment skills whatsoever, go back and actually read what I said. You have misinterpreted almost everything.

okay, somewhat off-topic, but what in the hell's with this phenomenon of one person writing the video preview/review, & another person reading it? are these websites actively attempting to encourage the hiring of mute critics/journalist? or are these critics/journalists so busy obsessively writing shit that they can't spare the 6-7 minutes involved in reading it aloud? i mean, I could see if you were using 'readers' like christopher walken, or morgan freeman, that this might be sorta cool:

but otherwise? I just fail to see what this's all about?...

clarky

Gold Member
It certainly looks fantastic, but more of the same basically.

Not really my cup of tea, but its on gamepass and short so I might actually finish it.

Not sure why some people are "disappointed" in the news that Hellblade 2 is more Hellblade. What else were you expecting?

Sacred

No thanks. Gameplay looks about as basic and uninteresting as the first game. I see why this is a discounted title.

(Did anyone else find the previews as laughable as I did? Like Microsoft’s marketing team straight up wrote a script for these so-called journalists and played their audio files over top of what are the most uninteresting gameplay videos I’ve seen in a long while.

I actually checked once to make sure I hadn't scrubbed backwards a few seconds to the same footage of slow, boring, Senua sword swings, followed by some slow, boring absorbed damage, followed by a dodge, followed by slow, boring sword swings.)

I'm actually kind of shocked that this is what a 1st party Xbox team is capable of with 5+ years and loads of Microsoft cash. This still feels indie-AF. Ninja Theory sucks.
Who hurt you, this a hyperbole at it's finest.

Topher

Gold Member
I see nothing but love for Astro, Bloober on the other hand...

I would not call these posts "nothing but love".....

A cute platforming sequel to a PS4 demo that showcased controller features and remake to a beloved horror game being made by a subpar studio with a horrible track-record are Sony's heavy-hitters for the rest of 2024?

Tonight Show Seriously GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

SH2 will unfortunately be rubbish because of Bloober being a terrible studio. Surely they have a summer Showcase planned? SOP are OK but I want to see new stuff from Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch etc

So a third-party timed exclusive and a minor AA first-party game? So exciting.

I guess TYYD remake and Elden Ring DLC may really be it for me this year. Dang

I mean....it is fine if folks are not excited for those games (or HB2 for that matter), but let's not pretend they are getting universal praise here.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I mean....it is fine if folks are not excited for those games (or HB2 for that matter), but let's not pretend they are getting universal praise here.

One of them is already banned

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Punished Miku

Gold Member

"A cute platforming sequel to a PS4 demo that showcased controller features."

Thats just literally what it is. The only opinion in there is calling it cute. And he got permed shortly after and youre still dragging him.

What did the other guy call it. A minor AA game. Is that really hurting people's feelings and outside the bounds of polite society? Apparently the PS CEO also doesnt call it a major IP.

If only Xbox criticism was this polite. That would be amazing.

Fredrik

This is sounding pretty much as expected. Very disappointed hearing they seemingly haven’t done much with the environmental puzzles and exploration.

Combat sounds fine, but that wasn’t a very exciting part of the first game to begin with imo. Sound design seems to be top notch at least, which is great.
Sounds great in my opinion. The narrative and combat is what I liked in the first game but the combat while okay became samey fast so better and more challenging combat is exactly what I was hoping for. Puzzles were filler content.

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds great in my opinion. The narrative and combat is what I liked in the first game but the combat while okay became samey fast so better and more challenging combat is exactly what I was hoping for. Puzzles were filler content.
I’m in the opposite camp. In general I wish they’d done more with this. The first one was fine as a indie game and proof of concept, lots of potential. I feel it got a lot of goodwill just because of that.

This just looks like more of the same. I expected there to be more thought behind it and to evolve in some way given the budget and time they have now.

T0minator

So is it really a design decision for 30fps when HellBlade 2 is upgraded to 60fps on a Pro console or the PC version?

It's not a design decision it's a hardware limitation

adamsapple

So is it really a design decision for 30fps when HellBlade 2 is upgraded to 60fps on a Pro console or the PC version?

It's a design decision to not compromise on their visual target to have a 60fps mode, if future hardware or 5x more powerful PC's can brute force it to a higher frame rate, that doesn't change their design decision for when the game was made.

Last edited:

Loope

Touchy! Feel free to stick your oar in though. Oh, you have done 😂
Me huh. You went all hyperbolic, when people confronted you, you just rolled to the floor and started pointing fingers. Fact is it's not as straight forward as console gaming and it's not what you and others are trying to make it seem. I'm the one touchy? ok...

Topher

Gold Member
It's a design decision to not compromise on their visual target to have a 60fps mode, if future hardware or 5x more powerful PC's can brute force it to a higher frame rate, that doesn't change their design decision for when the game was made.

Won't Xbox Series S have a compromised visual target in comparison to Xbox Series X?

This game has been in Xbox shows for years and the only thing they have shown about this game is motion capture footage.

IDK 🤷‍♂️ but this screams BEWARE to me. You market and hype your game through motion capture over and over again?

Why haven’t we seen a stretch of actual gameplay? The last time they showed the game, we saw a few seconds of “gameplay” that included walking up a hill. That’s it and nothing else.

FireFly

They're one and the same. You design around the capabilities of the hardware.

Top Bottom