• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2: you think it can overtake COD and fortnite?

where do you see helldivers 2 in the future?

• Total voters

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
No.

Fortnite is infinitely more accessible, is a part of popular culture and is available on almost every device people carry around with them today.

Helldivers - not that accessible in terms of difficulty, and platforms.
More importantly though, it doesn't need to be as big as Fortnite and COD.

T4keD0wN

PvP shooters have always been more popular and lasting in the spotlight way longer than coop ones in general. There is one pattern with every coop game ive ever played and that is that the playerbase eventually greatly diminishes over the years, much faster than it does in PvP games where it often fluctuates up and down.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
200w.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Absolutely not. COD has stood the test of time due to its literal perfection of controls and first person gameplay. It’s the blueprint now. That formula will never get old. All they have to do is change settings every year and they have a hit.

Gun culture is huge in America and COD is basically a love song to guns

Nah, definitely not. It's not free to play and not overloaded (at this point) with absolute FOMO bullshit. Most kids aren't interested unless it involves bragging to other kids about how much money they spent on fucking dance moves.

I'm still enjoying Helldivers 2, kind of sick of hearing about it every time I go online. Reminds me of Valheim in that sense.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PvP shooters have always been more popular and lasting in the spotlight way longer than coop ones in general. There is one pattern with every coop game ive ever played and that is that the playerbase eventually greatly diminishes over the years, much faster than it does in PvP games where it often fluctuates up and down.

It's a good game, but it won't overtake Fortnite or COD.
If they retain 100k+ peaks on Steam in six months it's a major win and the devs will be eatin' good. Will encourage other devs to work on more PVE focus.

Absolutely not. COD has stood the test of time due to its literal perfection of controls and first person gameplay. It’s the blueprint now. That formula will never get old. All they have to do is change settings every year and they have a hit.

No, it gets repetitive even with some updates (I've clocked about 45 hours).

Being PVE is a bit different.

Ok I know. But consider this.

Microsoft.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I'm playing a lot of Helldirvers right now, but catching up with Cod and Fortnite is absolutely impossible.

Fortnite is impossible, COD has 2 more installments like MW3 and they destroy the saga, Helldivers 2 is perfectly fine as it is with its loyal audience.

Thaimasker

it can't even overtake Palworld.
I mean..it seems like palworld sales have stalled whereas helldivers is still #1 and I bet its substaintial updates like new factions will get more eyes. I think it'll overtake palworld.(although you're probably including players numbers..which would be more difficult)
Call of duty this year potentially but not overall.
Not fortnite either..

But it doesn't need to. Apex didn't surpass those games and its still doing great.

Last edited:

Xyphie

No chance. In terms of popularity the game has likely already peaked. It seems unlikely that it'll ever cross 500k concurrent on Steam for instance.

Shifty1897

This thread couldn't wait until after church? Lol.
Helldivers 2 will fall off eventually and will never overtake free to play games, but that's okay. It's probably made its development cost 5 times over at this point.

MikeM

If it does (which I doubt) its because the other games imploded. I don’t play COD anymore as its just a skinfest and bombardment of battlepasses. I’m a fulltime Helldiver and I sip my liber-tea with pride.

yurinka

I think CoD and Fornite are too big, they are 2 rare exceptions like GTA, Roblox, LoL and Minecraft.

Helldivers 2 is being super successful in PS and Steam, but unlike Fortnite or CoD (at least still) doesn't have mobile version and won't have -and doesn't need- Xbox or Switch versions. So pretty likely can't be at the same level.

At launch Helldivers 2 achieved the 20th biggest Steam CCU pean in Steam history, which means higher than GTA and almost the CoD record, but has to prove it has a big user retention in the long term, keeping a great CCU or even improving it. It has been the top 1 best selling Steam game during a month and a half and after that keeps moving between top 2 and top 1.

During its first month so far had a top tier user retention: kept growing its launch peak for way longer than usual and mantained during its first month a huge percentage of these players. It is fair to assume that as they keep fixing it and improving it with new content and features they'll make it more appealing for players to return and others to join, hopefully staying in the game maybe for even longer.

Until now Helldivers 2 did an awesome job, but still has to prove it can mantain it in the long term. We'll see.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Last edited:

Hudo

It would be nice if it did, just because I think both CoD and especially Fortnite could both use a healthy BTFO.

Lupin25

MW3 may have destroyed that blueprint.

yurinka

it can't even overtake Palworld.
Palworld had an insane launch peak of sales and concurrent users, but had relatively short legs (in recent days has been top 13-20 in sales) and bad user retention, most players ran away.

Since before its launch Helldivers 2 has been top 1 in Steam sales during a months and a half, and later moving between top 1 and top 2. Even if didn't reach a peak as high as Palworld in sales or CCU, Helldivers 2 had a great, way better than Palworld, user retention. So now and for a long period of time pretty likely Helldivers 2 will continue having a better CCU, specially if continues selling better than Palworld going forward, which I assume will be the case.

Helldivers 2 also has a bigger budget to keep improving the game with fixes, tweaks, new content and features which should continue improving the user retention and keeping it fresh to continue playing and and going back to the game.

image.png

MiguelItUp

It's a completely different game, I don't think it should be compared, but rather appreciated for its own accomplishments.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I mean..it seems like palworld sales have stalled whereas helldivers is still #1 and I bet its substaintial updates like new factions will get more eyes. I think it'll overtake palworld.(although you're probably including players numbers..which would be more difficult)
Call of duty this year potentially but not overall.
Not fortnite either..

But it doesn't need to. Apex didn't surpass those games and its still doing great.

Palworld had more peak players by miles but has had less players than Helldivers 2 for a while now.

Palworld had an insane launch peak of sales and concurrent users, but had relatively short legs (in recent days has been top 13-20 in sales) and bad user retention, most players ran away.

Since before its launch Helldivers 2 has been top 1 in Steam sales during a months and a half, and later moving between top 1 and top 2. Even if didn't reach a peak as high as Palworld in sales or CCU, Helldivers 2 had a great, way better than Palworld, user retention. So now and for a long period of time pretty likely Helldivers 2 will continue having a better CCU, specially if continues selling better than Palworld going forward, which I assume will be the case.

Helldivers 2 also has a bigger budget to keep improving the game with fixes, tweaks, new content and features which should continue improving the user retention and keeping it fresh to continue playing and and going back to the game.

image.png
Palworld is also on game pass and Xbox.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

image.png

And thank God Helldivers 2 wasn't given away for free. Something that helps it's current budget going forward. Similar to Hello Games where they were able to continue their game with updates because it keeps selling to more and newer people.

Top Bottom