• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2: you think it can overtake COD and fortnite?

where do you see helldivers 2 in the future?

• Total voters

STARSBarry

Gold Member
one of the guys I play with has a young teen child who occasionally plays with us on games that interested him.

because he got an A in a test at school his dad bought him Helldivers he's played like 6 hours and currently plays a mix of Roblox and Siege. It seems like whatever kids want to play its not Helldivers, iv also heard very few Squeakers over the voice coms while playing... in fact I don't think iv heard a single one. Really that young audience is what makes things blow up, because we adults just don't have the free time available to dump into it normally by comparison.

Assaulty

I think the game can stay succesful for years to come if they decide to expand on it. It's just pure fun and I can see myself playing it for a month and then coming back for a couple weeks with every content update

People have the attention spans of flies, no way it retains its momentum. PVE just doesn't have the legs PVP does, because streamers don't really have much to show off about and no competitive scene. I prefer it that way, am on board for the ride in the meantime.

twilo99

Absolutely not. COD has stood the test of time due to its literal perfection of controls and first person gameplay. It’s the blueprint now. That formula will never get old. All they have to do is change settings every year and they have a hit.

Gun culture is huge in America and COD is basically a love song to guns

I agree as long as we still have to use controller/keyboard in front of a screen but things will have to change once we get a paradigm shift in terms input method..and that’s when we could expect a shakeup for the top spots.

Mortisfacio

I see it falling off. It's not a bad game, but I don't see it having legs. Game is fun to play with friends, but that aside its core gameplay loop has been done before. Don't see why this one would suddenly overtake the other big names.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The game's objective design can be improved so much. Run to X and fight waves of enemies for Y duration is base level design. The premise has loads of potential.

Shubh_C63

NOTHING can beat COD and Fortnite.

Self Sabotage is the only way these games will ever leave the limelight, Like Halo or Battlefield.

yurinka

And the all time peak did surpass too? Or it's just current peak that matters?
What matters in businesses isn't the peak of users, or the current amount of users: it's the revenue and profit not at launch, but in the complete project.

In case of GaaS, live service game who provide the largest revenue and profit are those who have a very long life making money during a long period of time. For that, they need to keep the player interest for years, with a great player retention and a good amount of sales/downloads over time.

Palworld had a huge peak of sales/users at launch but quickly died, showing a poor user retention, which leads to think it won't have a long life.

Helldivers 2 had a great launch too, not as insanely huge as Palworld, but shows a great player retention leading to think it's going to have a way longer life selling games and addons.

It's a bit like the fable of the turtle and the hare. Palworld achieved a ton in very little time but got tired. Helldivers 2 started slower, but at a solid and steady pace will last for longer and at the of the road of both games maybe Helldivers 2 may have generated more revenue and profit.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

It will go the way of all other PvE games and lose most of its userbase at some point.
But if the developers keep up the content output I think the userbase will stay overall healthy.

Sojiro

I see it falling off. It's not a bad game, but I don't see it having legs. Game is fun to play with friends, but that aside its core gameplay loop has been done before. Don't see why this one would suddenly overtake the other big names.
Completely agreed here. It definitely blew up more than I thought it would, but I see it starting to falling off within the next month or two, but we will see. It reaching CoD or Fortnite is not even close to happening.

Top Bottom