• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help Me Buy A Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in need of a Printer. I never really had to use one too much, and have only had one in the past, and used it with my Windows desktop PC. Now I have a MacBook Pro, and it got a little more complicated. (Snow Leopard)

The last Printer I had ate through ink and was fairly expensive (Canon); but I guess this is the case with all Printers to begin with. The problem is that I'm not sure which company to buy from; every one I read about, the reviews are either half and half, or terrible. 90% of the ones I looked at everyone kept yelling to stay away, either because it goes through ink extremely quick, or because the company uses "censors" to tell you that you need ink, when in reality you have plenty. I hear Epson is the worst offender, but I've also heard it about other companies.

Then I figured I don't need color THAT much, so I could spend the extra and go with a laser monochrome, but I'm very unfamiliar with lasers and don't know much about their performance, or on the other end, color lasers. Are they worth the extra price? I don't do much photo printing, but I do need it occasionally for documents with graphs and such, so it'd be nice. I looked through a lot, but most of them were way over my price range (some being $500 - 1k+); and I'm not sure about reliability.

I also hear lasers last a very long time from the toners, and that you'd only have to buy new ones once or twice. True?

I thought I had one lined up, so I bought it for my mother because she recently bought a MBP also. Turns out that it works on her laptop, but for some reason won't on mine, don't really understand it.

So I'd really appreciate some good feedback for Printers with good track records because at this point I don't know what to get.

sk3

Banned
From the reviews it seems to disappear from the wireless network when it goes to sleep, and you can't print to it until you manually go over to it and hit the on button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom