• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Incels need more mental health help, community is younger, more diverse and left leaning than previously thought

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67770178.amp

A study at Swansea University found incels - or involuntary celibates - overestimated physical attractiveness and finances, while underestimating kindness, humour and loyalty.

The authors also claimed the study showed incels were younger, more ethnically diverse and more politically left-leaning than previously reported.

There was also a tendency for incels to display mental health issues.

He said incel mental health was "through the floor", with 20% having daily thoughts of suicide and high levels of loneliness.

In addition, he said a quarter would be offered immediate antidepressants or therapy if they completed an NHS depression screening form.

"If you want to break the cycle, we need to be getting these guys mental health support because when they don't care about themselves, they're... not going to care about other people."

The study's findings were published in the Journal of Sex Research.

He said the incel community had "a weird relationship with people like Andrew Tate".

"I don't believe they hold him up as an ideal, it's probably more 'he's a sexually successful male and I'm not like that'," he said.

He added they had also observed a "bidirectional relationship between mental health and incel ideology".

"So the worse an incel's mental health is, the more they seem to then buy into ideology," he said.

mcjmetroid

I had to look up with incel meant again because I always thought it was a group of guys that just hated women that live online and that I guess is part of it.

Of course a lot of these guys are left leaning. That certainly checks out. Being a left leaning straight male cannot be easy and frankly is probably not that attractive to the opposite sex.

Edit: course in not taking about all left leaning guys just THOSE ones

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The problem with incels is that they probably never encounter woman or even talk to them in there lives. They create this bubble of delusional bullshit that pushes them further in the shitter every day, mix politics with that shit and it gets even worse.

What needs to happen is mix those clowns into actually woman groups so they start to get the idea of what woman really are and have them communicate with them. While also do more outside physical sports.

I think therapists are failing with incels because just talking to them isn't going to do shit.

Last edited:

DrFigs

On the subject I will always look back on this interview and I will never forgive people who watch this and thought Peterson was worthy of mockery for what he said here.

I think it's more that he cries a lot, sometimes over children's media

Kenpachii

They need a therapist + sex worker hybrid.

Sex workers are exactly what they don't need. That will push them even further down the rapidhole because that's exactly what they think about woman, nothing more then sex objects.

Back in the day we had conscription for the army, and this resulted in mixing people with other people and spend time with them. It was great to kill barriers created between rich / poor / racist / not racist / political andy's. Because they all where forced to work together u suddently realized that your buddy in the army u spend 2 years with and is black actually isn't that bad of a guy. Or your right leaning voter u though was a nazi was actually not that bad of a guy.

The same shit should happen for incels, instead with incels let them go into therapy, let the therapist move them into somekind of charity thing they have to attend towards that is dominated by woman, and let them have to work with them, eat with them, share there life with them etc. And sooner rather then later they will realize they are no longer part of that incel club because they are just deranged with the reality.

It also kills there isolation and they can make friends or even relationships out of it.

I found a movie with this concept really good, that was called american history X. this main character absolute hates black people, grows up in a culture where they all hate them, wars them and gets into jail as a result. And guess what happens? his best buddy became a black guy because he's forced to spend time with him. He returns to his nut neightbourhood and realizes how fucked in the head they are.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The problem with incels is that they probably never encounter woman or even talk to them in there lives. They create this bubble of delusional bullshit that pushes them further in the shitter every day, mix politics with that shit and it gets even worse.

What needs to happen is mix those clowns into actually woman groups so they start to get the idea of what woman really are and have them communicate with them. While also do more outside physical sports.

Spot on.

Every single anti-social attitude, bigoted opinion and delusion is completely destroyed when human beings mix with other human beings.

The absolute worst thing about modern society, and the cause of many of its ills, comes down to the fact that people sit in their silos, and their world views are never challenged.

I've never met a nasty cunt in my life who was well travelled, with broad horizons, and experience of relating to, and being with, a large mix of people from differing backgrounds.

And men who are successful with women are always the ones who mix with them a great deal.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Spot on.

Every single anti-social attitude, bigoted opinion and delusion is completely destroyed when human beings mix with other human beings.

The absolute worst thing about modern society, and the cause of many of its ills, comes down to the fact that people sit in their silos, and their world views are never challenged.

I've never met a nasty cunt in my life who was well travelled, with broad horizons, and experience of relating to, and being with, a large mix of people from differing backgrounds.

And men who are successful with women are always the ones who mix with them a great deal.
What happens I think is people who would not normally have had a voice traditionally in society because they probably would have been seeing as complete losers in the past.. now have a "voice" online.

Instead as well of them trying to make it in society. They're trying to change what society is.. this is why we have labels for everything now and why things like having overweight people modelling despite the health risks exists.

But secretly( or not really) these guys and gals are depressed due to the lack of sex and being loved and lash out at people be it women or whatever online.

So instead of the right lessons being learnt of self- improvement. I mean...work out in the gym, clean yourself up, get a good job. Make yourself APPEALLING to a potential partner, you see a bunch of excuses online and back patting and it's the WRONG lesson to be teaching.

If these people are actually happy with themselves then I take all this back and more power to them..
but they're not....
hence the high suicide rates and depression.
And because the wrong lessons are being taught I think this is counter productive in helping people who are mentally ill.

You cannot help mentally ill people if nothing is a problem.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
So before incels were right wingers, now they are left leaning :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Incels being alt-right is one of many narratives about men that come out of social media echo chambers like reddit and the website formerly known as Twitter. Mentally ill people who truly believe that how you vote determines your entire personality and which labels get applied to you.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
On the subject I will always look back on this interview and I will never forgive people who watch this and thought Peterson was worthy of mockery for what he said here.

If you have a son, especially in the UK, and You're actually paying attention to what he is being taught in school you can plainly see how young men these days are being demoralised daily. It's awful.

Just before christmas in my own sons school they had an assembly on 'Toxic male masculinity'. The boys were segregated off to their cope sessions whilst the girls were segregated off to their own sessions about... 'Toxic male masculinity'. The worst thing? Quite a few girls in his school are far more toxic than any boy will ever be. They're vile little creatures.

It's fucking horrific what the school have been getting up to these last couple of years.

What's even more sad is most parents couldn't give two shits about what these so called bastions of 'all that is holy' institutions are pumping into their child's head.

Makes me want to vomit most days.

I just thank christ he has his head screwed on and isn't an avid intaker of this garbage and he stays away from any social media. It's all mind rot perpetuated by retarded adults.

How anyone can look at any of this and think we, as humanity, will come out of this with any good outcome is far beyond my realms of thinking.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
On the big social media sites with millions or billions of users, your voice only tends to be heard if it is extreme. And because people are putting their most extreme views out there, others (naturally) assume that that represents their entire character because they don't have the time or access to the rest of that person. The opposite being what Kenpachii Kenpachii was saying you get when you spend time with others IN PERSON and get a more holistic view of someone.

Also, I read the other day that throughout human history, it's estimated that 80% of women and 40% of men reproduce. Notice that 40pt difference? I don't think "incels" is limited to a modern phenomenon.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Incel is the dumbest term I've heard of in this current era.

Is it really that hard these days to bang a fat or ugly woman? 👠

Milfs aren't that picky, either. 🥛

Problem is, they spend all their time gawping at idealised versions of women on the internet, instead of mixing with real ones. They get an extremely warped view of what a woman is, and their standards are way too high.

The '6/10 would not bang' meme is unfortunately pretty accurate.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Problem is, they spend all their time gawping at idealised versions of women on the internet, instead of mixing with real ones. They get an extremely warped view of what a woman is, and their standards are way too high.

The '6/10 would not bang' meme is unfortunately pretty accurate.
I think this is true for women as well. So long as they have a roof over their head and food, a lot of women seem pretty content waiting and waiting for that "perfect guy" to come along, not really realizing that she is competing with THOUSANDS of other women just like her for that one guy. Almost any woman can get a bit of male attention, their problem is KEEPING it.

Men have the opposite problem, really.

I think the decay of the traditional social structure through church and extended family makes it a lot easier for these folks to be completely isolated. If you have 8 siblings, chances are one if them is gonna be socially excluded but at least they have family and usually a church. If you are an only child though and church isn't your thing, no one is really looking out for you if you can't build bridges elsewhere.

DKehoe

In the age of apps like Tinder people have fewer excuses than ever when it comes to not getting laid.

HL3.exe

I'm not seeing the relevance of political leaning in this situation. Depression has risen over the years in general, losing hope for the future.

We need find a way to bring these kids in, and make them feel involved in the day today. Instead of easily involving themselves into shitty escapists ideologies or 'get successful quick' schemes.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I 'member from the age of about 18-24 that my mindset was "let the system burn, and my generation will rebuild it better." Then I entered the workforce and slowly gained a better understanding of how things actually work versus a nebulous, idealistic understanding of how things work. Not saying I understand it all, but certainly more than I did then. And just about every time I see an outcome of this system we're all in and think "Wtf? How could we let this happen?" As I learn more about the mechanics of how that outcome came to be, I understand, and can't really come up with a better solution that wouldn't result in an even worse outcome, or I understand that the system in place is too massive and has too many people with too many vested interests to change it.

Except for corporations buying up the US housing market. That shit's fucked and needs to be stopped. I say that as a lucky one who was able to buy a house back in 2015 before the market went upside-down.

What I'm trying to say is, I think that's how this younger generation thinks, too, and I totally get why they'd be demoralized.

Last edited:

Fake

Stopped reading here. I'm not an incel but this is absolutely "Simp farming".

I guess the problem with the term is that journalists those days got too much liberal at the point of using the term 'incel' not just for insult, but more like to classify everyone who disagree or don't think the way they do.

I remember Twitch allowing the use of the word 'incel', but banning the word 'simp'.

This pretty much a sight that they think incel is for insulting the right and simp for insulting the left.

Last edited:

Aesius

I think a lot of so-called incels are actually just normal guys whose minds have been warped by social media into thinking that only super handsome men can get laid and find girlfriends/wives.

In reality, the super handsome men are simply guys who can generally find those things with little to no effort. Sex and relationships are still available to average guys, but they require effort and exposing yourself to rejection, awkwardness, and bad dates.

They conflate rejection from one girl with rejection from the entire female gender.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
One watches women, another watches waifus

Seems to me neither interact much with actual real people, so its mostly a designation based on online habits?

Not being flippant here either, aren't both types socially isolated young men who retreat into online communities which in turn are characterized by external perceptions of their group?

Last edited:

Ikutachi

Sex workers are exactly what they don't need. That will push them even further down the rapidhole because that's exactly what they think about woman, nothing more then sex objects.

Back in the day we had conscription for the army, and this resulted in mixing people with other people and spend time with them. It was great to kill barriers created between rich / poor / racist / not racist / political andy's. Because they all where forced to work together u suddently realized that your buddy in the army u spend 2 years with and is black actually isn't that bad of a guy. Or your right leaning voter u though was a nazi was actually not that bad of a guy.

The same shit should happen for incels, instead with incels let them go into therapy, let the therapist move them into somekind of charity thing they have to attend towards that is dominated by woman, and let them have to work with them, eat with them, share there life with them etc. And sooner rather then later they will realize they are no longer part of that incel club because they are just deranged with the reality.

It also kills there isolation and they can make friends or even relationships out of it.

I found a movie with this concept really good, that was called american history X. this main character absolute hates black people, grows up in a culture where they all hate them, wars them and gets into jail as a result. And guess what happens? his best buddy became a black guy because he's forced to spend time with him. He returns to his nut neightbourhood and realizes how fucked in the head they are.
I wasn't thinking 50-50 in both activities but with most of the focus on therapy and instead of sex it can be limited to affection like kissing. Yours is an interesting solution.

So before incels were right wingers, now they are left leaning :messenger_tears_of_joy:
the-road-to-el-dorado-both.gif

Mistake

Reminds me of a current ongoing tragedy.

So a girl I'm dating is pretty left leaning, but she isn't usually insufferable about it and we get along on everything else. Her family is more right leaning, which I suppose explains her ability to agree to disagree.

Well anyway, her best friend of 15 years got pretty upset about us going out, because she's alt-left and sees me as morally corrupt or alt-right or something (I'm actually perfectly centered, but that's beside the point.) They had another fight about it and now their relationship is mostly destroyed.

The thing is though, her friend doesn't take care of herself AT ALL. She's obese and eats a lot, and her health is so bad that she got some kind of intestinal or colon cancer at 34 years old. Had to get surgery and do chemo for it, which my girlfriend dropped everything for and helped her through.

In summary, this girl is destroying her life because she believes herself to be morally superior, to the point of pushing away people who care about her the most. It's sad.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
instead of mixing with real ones.
But that's half the problem. Where to meet real ones?

My town used to be thriving for night life in the 90's, now we only have a Yates' that's full of lecherous Polish or weird looking Somalians that won't leave girls alone

And when you do look around the place most girls have their face stuffed in a phone 🙇‍♀️

And most of them think they're gods gift 🤷‍♂️

I can see why young blokes these days have a shit time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They need a therapist + sex worker hybrid.
They probably are anti-human people as a whole who'd rather sit in their basement as hermits.

Best way to talk to them is by text or some robot AI for therapy help. Last thing I see them doing is trying to interact with doctor or psychiatrist in a medical office.

Reallink

In the age of apps like Tinder people have fewer excuses than ever when it comes to not getting laid.

LOLBruh, the prevalence and normalization of dating apps are 1000% the primary driver of inceldom. Don't look up the objective metrics on how 90% of guys perform on them. There's no easy fix or cure cause many of their core greivances are actually real, not halucinated conspiracies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom