• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me! (not girl related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt_deeb

Okay, so I really have wanted to get this synthesizer. Problem is my dad is always on and off about me getting one. We got in an argument last night (little thing but he was mainly pissed cause I kept talking back) and he said I'm not alowed to get one. (I'm not even allowed on the computer right now) He's been at work all day and I was curiously searching for the synth and I found an ending auction and a Buy Now one as well. It looked really good, I didn't want it to slip away. I attempted to call him and get his permission 3-5 times and finally I just bought it expecting him to come around and say that I could later. I finally got a hold of him and he said still "No, not today" and now I'm stuck. He'll either way find out within the next few days since it'll come up on their credit card. I'm not sure if I should use honesty (which is still going to get me majorly punished because my dad isn't understanding in the slightest - I shouldn't have to be asking his permission to use my own money anyway) or just use a very awesome plan to convince him to say yes by today (preferably before he gets home)

Tool

Banned
tt_deeb said:
Okay, so I really have wanted to get this synthesizer. Problem is my dad is always on and off about me getting one. We got in an argument last night (little thing but he was mainly pissed cause I kept talking back) and he said I'm not alowed to get one. (I'm not even allowed on the computer right now) He's been at work all day and I was curiously searching for the synth and I found an ending auction and a Buy Now one as well. It looked really good, I didn't want it to slip away. I attempted to call him and get his permission 3-5 times and finally I just bought it expecting him to come around and say that I could later. I finally got a hold of him and he said still "No, not today" and now I'm stuck. He'll either way find out within the next few days since it'll come up on their credit card. I'm not sure if I should use honesty (which is still going to get me majorly punished because my dad isn't understanding in the slightest - I shouldn't have to be asking his permission to use <b>my own</b> money anyway) or just use a very awesome plan to convince him to say yes by today (preferably before he gets home)

You should have listened to your dad and not ordered it. I mean you used their credit card to do it? How bad is that? If you can't cancel the order you should be honest and tell him what happened. I think it'll be better now instead of later when the charge happens and he totally loses it.

Wait a minute -- "your own money" ? Why is it their credit card then?

Gattsu25

Banned
use honesty
then
use pain killers
use paddings in your pants and shirt
and if all else fails
use sunglasses to hide the damage

Have to agree with Tool...it might sound harsh but you should have never bought it out of anger and spite

tt_deeb

Gattsu25 said:
Have to agree with Tool...it might sound harsh but you should have never bought it out of anger and spite

I didn't! I thought he would come around. I was hoping he'd heal by now.

EDIT: Credit card cause I used PayPal. I have plenty of money to pay it off, it's not the issue.

Gattsu25

Banned
Tool, he has the money but has no means to order it online...he needs to use his dad's credit card and pay him back (i assume)

should have gotten permission first

Tool

Banned
tt_deeb said:
I didn't! I thought he would come around. I was hoping he'd heal by now.

EDIT: Credit card cause I used PayPal. I have plenty of money to pay it off, it's not the issue.

In my opinion, your relationship with your parents should be worth more to you than any material object you can buy. What's more important the synth or having a good, trusting relationship with your dad? Do the right thing, explain what happened and say you're sorry.

tt_deeb

Tool said:
In my opinion, your relationship with your parents should be worth more to you than any material object you can buy. What's more important the synth or having a good, trusting relationship with your dad? Do the right thing, explain what happened and say you're sorry.

I guess I'll have to. But he's not helping the relationship either. My whole family knows how much he overreacts over things. The argument was this:

I caddie at Bethpage Black and one of the bags was really heavy and awkward (had this umbrella holder bulging into my side since I carry it with my elft shoulder) I asked the guy, nicely, if maybe I could carry his bag for nine holes and his friend for the other nine. (since I knew his friend wanted a caddie too but never got one) Then the guys both go something like "But he's is heavier" "yeah I would've brought my carry bag if I thought I was going to carry it" And I just replied with something like "Yeah, but it would be easier on me - and I just thought maybe you could've brought the carry bag." I realize this is perfectly fine if he doesnt want to do it (and he didnt so I ended up dealing with it the whole time no more complaints) but we aren't a very serious caddie organization and we're cheap and their for the golfers convenience. I could have left easily and he could've had his money (plus he'd be screwed becuase he was acting like a wuss) This is my second year and I've caddied well over 50 times, I think I know what I'm talking about, this guy was plain taking advantage of me. My dad was basically dissapointed in me for "asking such things" but I disagreed and fought back.

Tool

Banned
tt_deeb said:
I guess I'll have to. But he's not helping the relationship either. My whole family knows how much he overreacts over things. The argument was this:

Just out of curiosity how old are you?

It seems like you need to try and talk to your dad about your relationship together. I know it can be difficult, but try to remain calm when you speak to him and show him you're ready to have a mature discussion with him about your life and your responsibilities. Eventually you'll be old enough to decide things for yourself, but in the meantime it would be good if you could try and understand your dad's point of view. See if you two can work things out in a mature way.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
tt_deeb said:

I caddie at Bethpage Black and one of the bags was really heavy and awkward (had this umbrella holder bulging into my side since I carry it with my elft shoulder) I asked the guy, nicely, if maybe I could carry his bag for nine holes and his friend for the other nine. (since I knew his friend wanted a caddie too but never got one) Then the guys both go something like "But he's is heavier" "yeah I would've brought my carry bag if I thought I was going to carry it" And I just replied with something like "Yeah, but it would be easier on me - and I just thought maybe you could've brought the carry bag." I realize this is perfectly fine if he doesnt want to do it (and he didnt so I ended up dealing with it the whole time no more complaints) but we aren't a very serious caddie organization and we're cheap and their for the golfers convenience. I could have left easily and he could've had his money (plus he'd be screwed becuase he was acting like a wuss) This is my second year and I've caddied well over 50 times, I think I know what I'm talking about, this guy was plain taking advantage of me. My dad was basically dissapointed in me for "asking such things" but I disagreed and fought back.

Wait a second, you're from Bethpage, NY??

tt_deeb

djtiesto said:
Wait a second, you're from Bethpage, NY??

Levittown.

And I'm 15 (turning 16 in September) I would like to have a serious conversation with my dad but he's very much like me and we like to sort of be fine on our own. He also gets conversations way too emotional when it may be just a little thing. I remember at a young age having some way too serious conversations and him already thinking "there's no hope for us to be friends" He overreacts a lot, I don't behave badly at all and we get along a lot too but just the times when I talk back or disobey he gets angry. This is probably the worse thing I've ever done and I still don't find it that big of a deal really. I wish it wasn't so much of a hassle for me to use my own money - it's not like I buy things a lot.

Tool

Banned
tt_deeb said:
He overreacts a lot, I don't behave badly at all and we get along a lot too but just the times when I talk back or disobey he gets angry.

Well why do you talk back or disobey? I know you're 15 and you think you know everything that's best for you, but you have ALOT of years ahead of you to do what you want. You'll be an adult soon enough with your own responsibilities. Try to get along with your dad, listen to what he says and enjoy your youth. I think you'll find that a little slack on your side might go a long way into showing him you can accept his "rules" and maybe he'll become more lenient with you. Just try for now. If not, in a few years when you're legally able to do what you want, you can do what you want.

tt_deeb

Tool said:
Well why do you talk back or disobey? I know you're 15 and you think you know everything that's best for you, but you have ALOT of years ahead of you to do what you want. You'll be an adult soon enough with your own responsibilities. Try to get along with your dad, listen to what he says and enjoy your youth. I think you'll find that a little slack on your side might go a long way into showing him you can accept his "rules" and maybe he'll become more lenient with you. Just try for now. If not, in a few years when you're legally able to do what you want, you can do what you want.

Yeah, I always say that I will but it's just those heat of the moment things. Sometimes what he says sounds so ridiculous and I really hate how I'm always "Just 15 and I don't know anything"

Tool

Banned
tt_deeb said:
Yeah, I always say that I will but it's just those heat of the moment things. Sometimes what he says sounds so ridiculous and I really hate how I'm always "Just 15 and I don't know anything"

Never said you didn't know ANYTHING. Just that you don't know EVERYTHING. :) Cheer up man, it's a long life.

tt_deeb

Tool said:
Never said you didn't know ANYTHING. Just that you don't know EVERYTHING. :) Cheer up man, it's a long life.

No, but my dad basically acts like I have no voice on any subject. And I also don't like it how they always think I'm depressed. I am cheered up!

tt_deeb

Okay well I called him and told him everything and he seemed dissapointed but nothing else really. He'll talk to me when he gets home but at least its all in his hands now.

How very immature and irresponsible of you. Please don't make a thread later tonight about how your dad was unfair in punishing you and how your life sucks.

tt_deeb

keeblerdrow said:
How very immature and irresponsible of you. Please don't make a thread later tonight about how your dad was unfair in punishing you and how your life sucks.

Dude, are you serious? You're the one being immature right now. I'm sure you were perfect as a kid *rollseyes* and I didn't do it to be spiteful or angry - I'm rarely either.

Gattsu25

Banned
Hey, sorry for accusing you of doing it out of spite...with limited info on the situation that's what I assumed...I’m a bit of a pessimist :"b

tt_deeb

Gattsu25 said:
Hey, sorry for accusing you of doing it out of spite...with limited info on the situation that's what I assumed...I’m a bit of a pessimist :"b

Understandable I realize typical teens are but I'd like to think of myself as a little more mature. Oh well, I'm going out for the night so I guess the dad/son convo will have to wait another time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom