• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's hoping for some Wheel of Time games

Catphish

With Amazon's take on Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson)'s 15-book epic The Wheel of Time hitting the stream-o-sphere in a couple of months, my hype levels are through the friggin roof. I'm reading the books once more, and am falling in live with Jordan's work all over again.

And with this rekindling of my infatuation with WoT comes an increased interest in fantasy RPGs (currently enjoying Solasta). And, with that, a longing for something substantial that's actually rooted in the Wheel of Time universe.

I sincerely hope that the series is successful enough to warrant some games to be made in its wake. I honestly don't understand why there aren't more games already. The world is expertly crafted, the character base is as deep as it is vast, and the core conflict is as wide-sweeping and exotic as it is close and familiar. The story has even been brought to a satisfying conclusion. So why does it only have a 20-year-old FPS and an unofficial MUD in its gaming cabinet? I don't get it.

I'd love to see an MMO or, better yet, a turn-based table-top CRPG, like Baldur's Gate (or Solasta) rooted in the WoT universe. But i'd take anything at this point, as long as it's quality.

So I'm sending my wish into the universe. But the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills...

Trogdor1123

I could definitely see that happening. I'm almost done book 3 and they are pretty good, if long.

It could be interesting, or awful given many things...

Merkades

I still need to read the books written by Sanderson... The only bad thing about these amazing epics, authors don't always make it to the end. I wonder if Berserk will see a conclusion since Kentaro Miura passed recently. And I would be surprised if George R.R. Martin finishes Game of Thrones, dude is 73 and not exactly fit and writes new novels super slow.

Anyways, I am down with new media for The Wheel of Time.

I have fond memories of reading all 11 of the books in 8th grade (TBH, the time I spent reading that year likely solidified my nerd status). It's an IP that, with the right publishing partner, carries high potential.

Sadly, I don't see the TV series working out (they already re-cast Matrim Cauthon for Season 2) and no studio is going to invest $100m+ into an IP they can't fully exploit (nor should they, TBH). If the author's estate were to sell the entire series to a studio or IP holding group, then you might see something significant, but otherwise we're going to have to wait until the next breaking of the world.

Wheeloftimegame.jpg

Have you played this? Really amazing with fantastic atmosphere.

Last edited:

CamHostage

There were planned and canceled Wheel of Time games (back when the brand kept almost being a movie.) With it being an Amazon franchise now, I'm not sure who else but Amazon would make a game of it, though Amazon has been trying to dig into gaming and has a new Amazon Games Montreal studio (with lots of Ubisoft people) and also have deals with developers like Glowmade (although Glowmade is contracted for an original IP and the concept is very not-WoT, but if Amazon can find Glowmade they can find somebody else who can make fantasy adventures,) maybe they'll back their own brand. (Maybe not though; Amazon has been trying in vain to get a Tolkien game to go along with its Lord of the Rings series and that has been a mess.)

Never played the actual Wheel of Time game from 1999, sounds like it got a tragic case handed to it because it looks really good.

Last edited:
Wheeloftimegame.jpg

Have you played this? Really amazing with fantastic atmosphere.

if you put two and two together, you can possibly get five: I was watching an interview with Stephen Kick, CEO of Nightdive. He mentioned that they had recently been looking at an old Unreal engine game. Then the news of Wheel of Time activity came out and I wondered if they'd been asked to dust off the old Wheel of Time game code. Probably not, and not seen anything else about Nightdive and old Unreal engine work.

Fbh

Haven't read those yet but I've heard good things. Though at this point I'll probably just check out the show (trailer was a bit meh though).
But I'd be nice to see more games based on books, lots of potential there like what CDPR did with the Witcher

Sadly most studios are more interested in going with already big multi media franchises.

You've just reminded me I didn't read Oathbringer yet, let alone Rhythm of War. Too many books just like games!

I'm reading through Oathbringer right now. First half was a tad disappointing (still fun though) but the second half is really picking up.

Top Bottom