• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst: PlayStation is “Reevaluating how we operate” in light of the recent layoffs

Fake

If they're selling gangbusters on consoles, games, and subs and still not making much profit then they gotta do something. Hopefully they don't make it worse lol.

Nothing of this matter if you are wasting tons of money.

I remember reading some news over Silvester Stalone leaving California, so I guess Sony should do the same.

And we have fanboys here saying 'he can't do this, he can't do that'. The living cost of California is terrible high right now, so I can't even imagine what Sony is burning of money into that place.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

FIX THIS FIRST:
9QLYwO6.jpg

IXWutFj.jpg

GoZ08nE.jpg

IJzI69g.jpg

I know it's from the Xbox Direct but I have no doubt Sony's western Studios have the same chill laid back tech corp culture that these big companies love to show off in their promotional videos.
Look, I know making games is hard alright, but why the fuck do you feel entitled to play pool, board games or chill in a hammock at the office? Hell, some of them are probably still working from home in their sweat pants sending emails about their favorite coffee brew. Get to work you overpaid adults babies.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Doesn't answer my question and has very little to do with the claim.
Your initial reply more or less accused me of being a console warrior? Like what, I'm an Xbox fanboy who is dancing in Sony's grave? Your question didn't deserve a serious answer.

I spend so much money on PSN and I still buy games on the PS3 store, i also own both of their VR headsets. Sony effing loves me and should send me a thank you card considering the money I give them that they seem to squander, lol.

Sony has their head so far up their own ass when it comes to their hyper cinematic stuff, it's coming back to bite them and it all stems from arrogance.

If you like the games, good for you, but to act like Sony hasn't lost the plot is completely ignoring reality. They just fired 900 people and closed a studio. Where are these budgets going? Towards bloated 1st party games and GaaS titles that they're canceling because they know they stretched themselves too thin and is unsustainable.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seriously guys, unfinished and unreleased games getting cancelled is just housekeeping. Its not any sign of a pivot away or towards a certain direction like some of you seem to think.

They chopped roughly 8% of the workforce in order to bump profitability, with the cuts being made to units that were deemed surplus to requirement based on their historic productivity/profitability.

In the crudest possible terms they have simply cut the post-covid fat.

ProtoByte

Your initial reply more or less accused me of being a console warrior? Like what, I'm an Xbox fanboy who is dancing in Sony's grave? Your question didn't deserve a serious answer.
It's an entirely reasonable assumption considering your statement and the following:
Sony has their head so far up their own ass when it comes to their hyper cinematic stuff, it's coming back to bite them and it all stems from arrogance.
If you like the games, good for you, but to act like Sony hasn't lost the plot is completely ignoring reality. They just fired 900 people and closed a studio. Where are these budgets going? Towards bloated 1st party games and GaaS titles that they're canceling because they know they stretched themselves too thin and is unsustainable.
You say all of this as though Sony is unique in their layoffs (or even disproportionately sweeping in them), and is if the reason for it is because of the cinematic stuff that other companies do (if not as well or successfully).

These things are not true. And you know they're not.

As has been repeatedly brought up, most of the cancelations and layoffs are directly related to the live services. Not the single player stuff. The single player stuff is expensive and margins are slim, but they're slim for everything and everyone right now that isn't a cream of the crop mobile game dev, and even then, things are getting dicey.

The world economy is shit.

Attributing any of this to Arrogant$on¥ or whatever smacks of fanboy warrior nonsense.

Also, you're talking out of both sides of your mouth with this:
I spend so much money on PSN and I still buy games on the PS3 store, i also own both of their VR headsets. Sony effing loves me and should send me a thank you card considering the money I give them that they seem to squander, lol.
If you think their main attraction and what's absolutely defined them since the PS3 and through the PS4 (arguably earlier) is arrogant bs and you're happy to see them fail, why have you been giving them so much money to where you're apparently a key consumer? You'll excuse me if I don't believe you or think that it's a sign or rank immaturity.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's an entirely reasonable assumption considering your statement and the following:

You say all of this as though Sony is unique in their layoffs (or even disproportionately sweeping in them), and is if the reason for it is because of the cinematic stuff that other companies do (if not as well or successfully).

These things are not true. And you know they're not.
Dude you are white knighting for a company that has already acknowledged everything I've said in this thread.

I clearly love Sony and want them to do good. You are making excuses for their current gen mismanagement and acting like I'm the one being unreasonable or unrealistic.

If you're a teenager and this is your first gen, then yea, you probably have no idea where I'm coming from. If you're an adult though, I really have no idea why it is that you're making excuses for things that Sony has already acknowledged.

ProtoByte

Dude you are white knighting for a company that has already acknowledged everything I've said in this thread.
Acknowledged how?
I clearly love Sony and want them to do good. You are making excuses for their current gen mismanagement and acting like I'm the one being unreasonable or unrealistic.
Read the edits I made to the previous post.

If you're a teenager and this is your first gen, then yea, you probably have no idea where I'm coming from. If you're an adult though, I really have no idea why it is that you're making excuses for things that Sony has already acknowledged.
Again, acknowledged how? Also, please, don't presume to little man me when you're in here playing into layoff hysterics or studio closures. This shit isn't new for the industry or for Sony.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Acknowledged how?

Read the edits I made to the previous post.

Again, acknowledged how? Also, please, don't presume to little man me when you're in here playing into layoff hysterics or studio closures. This shit isn't new for the industry or for Sony.
You should read the thread title and Herman's statement. 🤷

fart town usa

Gold Member
Uh, I think you should read them. I did, and no where does Hulst say anything like what you said.
You're right, my mistake. When Herman said "reevaluating" he clearly meant more focus and more money for what their first parties are already doing. I mean hell, laying off 900 people and closing a studio is clearly a sign that things are going swimmingly. 🎉

Not all gaming companies are laying people off, it's the ones who have lost the plot and need to course correct. Sony has clearly lost the plot and needs to course correct.

Edit- part of that course correction involves more efficient development cycles and budgets and more focus on working with 3rd parties for exclusives. A big part of that is getting some blockbuster Asian flair, like I previously mentioned, and current examples are Ronin, Stellar Blade, and FF7r.

Last edited:
Herman Hulst needs to face the axe for his terrible management of PlayStation studios. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen studio management this bad at Sony.

Killjoy-NL

You're right, my mistake. When Herman said "reevaluating" he clearly meant more focus and more money for what their first parties are already doing. I mean hell, laying off 900 people and closing a studio is clearly a sign that things are going swimmingly. 🎉

Not all gaming companies are laying people off, it's the ones who have lost the plot and need to course correct. Sony has clearly lost the plot and needs to course correct.
Lol whut?

They've been talking about the 'recent' changes since at least 2019 and what we're seeing now are the more noticeable decisions in effect.

All this has been coming for a long time and Sony has been quite direct about all the changes.

Granted, layoffs might also be due to current global economical climate, but it happens in many industries.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Lol whut?

They've been talking about the 'recent' changes since at least 2019 and what we're seeing now are the more noticeable decisions in effect.

All this has been coming for a long time and Sony has been quite direct about all the changes.

Granted, layoffs might also be due to current global economical climate, but it happens in many industries.
Tell me where I'm wrong. Like what in the world am I reading?

Killjoy-NL

Tell me where I'm wrong. Like what in the world am I reading?
"Clearly Sony lost the plot".

They've been communicating these changes for a couple of years, same as the concerns that leads to these decisions.
It's not some knee-jerk reaction like a certain other company is making.

fart town usa

Gold Member
"Clearly Sony lost the plot".

They've been communicating these changes for a couple of years, same as the concerns that leads to these decisions.
It's not some knee-jerk reaction like a certain other company is making.
🤦

I cannot participate in this thread anymore. People acting like closing a studio and laying off 900 people is perfectly normal and a sign of good management. There's no conversation to be had if people legitimately see this as healthy and normal.

Killjoy-NL

🤦

I cannot participate in this thread anymore. People acting like closing a studio and laying off 900 people is perfectly normal and a sign of good management. There's no conversation to be had if people legitimately see this as healthy and normal.
That's a strawman argument.

Besides, London Studios is a small studio that didn't release anything worthwhile, except maybe Singstar.
It was likely to be one of the first to get closed.

Sometimes you have to trim a company, especially when restructuring.

And again, it's not exclusive to the gaming industry.
Times are becoming hard on a global scale.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
That's a strawman argument.

Besides, London Studios is a small studio that didn't release anything worthwhile, except maybe Singstar.
It was likely to be one of the first to get closed.

Sometimes you have to trim a company, especially when restructuring.

And again, it's not exclusive to the gaming industry.
Times are becoming hard on a global scale.
I know it's not exclusive to the games industry. My main point is that Sony got arrogant with the first party bloat and GaaS push and it's clearly back firing on them. My 2nd point is that many Sony gamers want more variety when it comes to "blockbuster" games.

So now we have Sony firing 900 people and closing a studio, and Sony is making deals with 3rd parties to make up the lack in what people expect from a PlayStation console. Does that not align with what I've been saying in the thread?

I don't think I'm being hyperbolic at all. I think I'm being perfectly rational with my interpretation of what Sony is currently going through. I hope they sort it out and get back to firing on all cylinders because I love Sony hardware and have no plans to leave the platform. I just want to see some kind of semblance with the variety and output of what we had in the past. I don't expect the same quantity because games take longer to develop for but Sony can clearly do better considering all the resources they have. The stuff they're doing now is inexcusable considering the level of talent they have.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
FIX THIS FIRST:
9QLYwO6.jpg

IXWutFj.jpg

GoZ08nE.jpg

IJzI69g.jpg

I know it's from the Xbox Direct but I have no doubt Sony's western Studios have the same chill laid back tech corp culture that these big companies love to show off in their promotional videos.
Look, I know making games is hard alright, but why the fuck do you feel entitled to play pool, board games or chill in a hammock at the office? Hell, some of them are probably still working from home in their sweat pants sending emails about their favorite coffee brew. Get to work you overpaid adults babies.

Yes, the only way to work efficiently is to wear uncomfortable clothes and sit in a cold, stuffy cubicle with no attempts to foster a positive, enjoyable culture in a creative workplace.

Reaction GIF

This isn't 1954 anymore dude. There's nothing wrong with corporations taking steps to make their offices more desirable to work at.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
🤦

It is perfectly normal, unfortunately. And layoffs by number is less noteworthy than by percentage of the total workforce.

Killjoy-NL

I know it's not exclusive to the games industry. My main point is that Sony got arrogant with the first party bloat and GaaS push and it's clearly back firing on them. My 2nd point is that many Sony gamers want more variety when it comes to "blockbuster" games.
How is the "GaaS push" backfiring, when the first one they've released since they've been talking about it is Helldivers 2?

Cancelling 4 out of 12 or so GaaS titles in the pipeline, is most likely the reason they had 12 in the pipeline to begin with.

And the "GaaS push" can be classified as more variety, because Playstation is lacking in the multiplayer department.
So now we have Sony firing 900 people and closing a studio, and Sony is making deals with 3rd parties to make up the lack in what people expect from a PlayStation console. Does that not align with what I've been saying in the thread?
Sony has always been doing that, so literally nothing changed in that regard.
I don't think I'm being hyperbolic at all. I think I'm being perfectly rational with my interpretation of what Sony is currently going through. I hope they sort it out and get back to firing on all cylinders because I love Sony hardware and have no plans to leave the platform. I just want to see some kind of semblance with the variety and output of what we had in the past. I don't expect the same quantity because games take longer to develop for but Sony can clearly do better considering all the resources they have. The stuff they're doing now is inexcusable considering the level of talent they have.
I never said or implied that you're being hyperbolic, but Sony is adapting to offer more variety and to do exactly what you want from them.

So I'm not sure what the issue is, really.

Last edited:

yurinka

Watching PlayStation struggle gives me joy.
They aren't struggling, they are performing than ever in total revenue, total profit, hardware revenue, software revenue, first party games revenue, accesories revenue, game subs revenue, off PS 1st party revenue, console brand MAU etc. in many cases being all time records for any console maker, not only Sony.

But in recent couple of years their profitability, even if good has been impacted because of the rise of hardare component and shipment costs, inflation, or costs related to recent acquisitions they made.

Some of these things may worsen in the future, so they had to cut some fat to improve profitability. They highly increased their workforce in recent years, this time they reduced it much smaller percent (8%) cancelling a game (nothing bad or rare, common stuff in gaming) that didn't hype the people and shutted down their studio, who didn't release a hit or something that hyped people since decades ago.

Regarding Twistead Metal, according to Jason Shredder it wasn't still greenlighted to go into full production, so it was only some prototypes, some concept art and a powerpoint. Again, to reject pitches or cancel games -specially in early stages- is part of the normal game development.

So SIE is in a great shape (they just released a big hit, Helldivers 2), and they will be better after cutting some weak links. We also have to understand that part of these fired people aren't from their gamedev studios, but other SIE areas instead.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It is perfectly normal, unfortunately. And layoffs by number is less noteworthy than by percentage of the total workforce.

How is the "GaaS push" backfiring, when the first one they've released since they've been talking about it is Helldivers 2?

Cancelling 4 out of 12 or so GaaS titles in the pipeline, is most likely the reason they had 12 in the pipeline to begin with.

And the "GaaS push" can be classified as more variety, because Playstation is lacking in the multiplayer department.

Sony has always been doing that, so literally nothing changed in that regard.

I never said or implied that you're being hyperbolic, but Sony is adapting to offer more variety and to do exactly what you want from them.

So I'm not sure what the issue is, really.
Peace Out Reaction GIF

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
They aren't struggling, they are performing than ever in total revenue, total profit, hardware revenue, software revenue, first party games revenue, accesories revenue, game subs revenue, off PS 1st party revenue, console brand MAU etc. in many cases being all time records for any console maker, not only Sony.

But in recent couple of years their profitability, even if good has been impacted because of the rise of hardare component and shipment costs, inflation, or costs related to recent acquisitions they made.

Some of these things may worsen in the future, so they had to cut some fat to improve profitability. They highly increased their workforce in recent years, this time they reduced it much smaller percent (8%) cancelling a game (nothing bad or rare, common stuff in gaming) that didn't hype the people and shutted down their studio, who didn't release a hit or something that hyped people since decades ago.

Regarding Twistead Metal, according to Jason Shredder it wasn't still greenlighted to go into full production, so it was only some prototypes, some concept art and a powerpoint. Again, to reject pitches or cancel games -specially in early stages- is part of the normal game development.

So SIE is in a great shape (they just released a big hit, Helldivers 2), and they will be better after cutting some weak links. We also have to understand that part of these fired people aren't from their gamedev studios, but other SIE areas instead.
Good revenue and bad profit. I know. Cancelling games and cutting employees means struggling, though. I love to see it.

Killjoy-NL

Good revenue and bad profit. I know. Cancelling games and cutting employees means struggling, though. I love to see it.
It is not out of the ordinary for Sony to cancel games.

There's an interview with Corey Barlog (God of War director), iirc, who told about how Sony is open and supportive to new ideas from studios and that they offer them the freedom to try it and if it happens to not work out, they scrap it and start something new.
He also talked about one project, pre-God of War 2019, that they worked on where Sony invested something like $100M and they canned it.

Might have mixed up the person and some details, though.
I should see if I can find it.

Edit:

Could also have been Neil Druckmann.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

These studios need to remember they are making video games and should leave their desire to be seen as some cinematic experience auteur at the door.

Not hiring "name" actors and voice actors so you can use their likeness' would be a start.

yurinka

Sony released GaaS titles since the PS3. Regarding these "12 IPs with GaaS titles" that Sony talked about recently, they already published MLB, Gran Turismo 7, Firewall Ultra (PSVR2) and Helldivers 2 (you may include Destiny here too).

All of them except maybe Firewall Ultra (their studio was shutted down) have been a big success.

Totoki said months ago that they were working in the 12 games, debunking rumors of having cancelled TLOU Online and the Deviation game.

Months later they cancelled TLOU Online and now the London Studio game, so they are two games cancelled.

We know Firesprite has been working during years on a MP that features both vehicle combat and off-vehicle combat (we saw it in job offers). It was rumored to be Twisted Metal, but doesn't seem to be the case because seems to be a different project that Jason Shredder said they cancelled: a Twisted Metal that was in early stages and was still in early stages and not greenlighted.

Killjoy-NL

Sony released GaaS titles since the PS3. Regarding these "12 IPs with GaaS titles" that Sony talked about recently, they already published MLB, Gran Turismo 7, Firewall Ultra (PSVR2) and Helldivers 2 (you may include Destiny here too).

All of them except maybe Firewall Ultra (their studio was shutted down) have been a big success.
I've been playing video games since Atari 2600, so I'm well aware that Playstation has been releasing multiplayer/GaaS titles for a long time.

But that's completely besides the point, because we're talking about their recent change in strategy that they started going into this gen.

You even say it in the next part (bolded):
Totoki said months ago that they were working in the 12 games, debunking rumors of having cancelled TLOU Online and the Deviation game.
Helldivers 2 is the first game among those 12 to release.

Months later they cancelled TLOU Online and now the London Studio game, so they are two games cancelled.

We know Firesprite has been working during years on a MP that features both vehicle combat and off-vehicle combat (we saw it in job offers). It was rumored to be Twisted Metal, but doesn't seem to be the case because seems to be a different project that Jason Shredder said they cancelled: a Twisted Metal that was in early stages and was still in early stages and not greenlighted.
So that's already 3 games.
The "4 games" is something I've seen others say, so I just went with that.

But it doesn't really matter. Whether they cancelled 2 or 4, they had 12 in the pipeline and they only need 3 or 4 to succeed.

We do know there's Marathon, Concord, Fairgame$, Horizon MMO, an unnamed NCSoft MMO (iirc), so that's already 5 or 6 potential hits.

That's on top of the other projects from Sony's main studios.
So it doesn't seem like Sony has lost the plot at all.

I'd argue they're very focused and seem to make some necessary decisions to streamline the business.

Last edited:

yurinka

Helldivers 2 is the first game among those 12 to release.
No, according to Sony the first of the 12 franchises was MLB. Slide from 2021/2022:
86526_99_mystery-playstation-live-games-mlb-the-show-23-last-of-us-factions_full.png

Notice Gran Turismo 7 isn't listed as a "single-player game catalog" or "live services game catalog" because these graphs seem to be to differentiate the type of products, but GT7 can be included in both sides and wouldn't make sense to include another column for GT. In fact, both columns lack important franchieses for them. They only listed there some examples wanting o highlight than in recent years they focuse in non-GaaS SP titles, and now they'll add also more effort in the MP/GaaS side.

Updated page for last year:
image.png

• Out of the 12 (later, when acquired they added Bungie) this year they'll have in the market MLB, Gran Turismo, Destiny, Firewall, Helldivers, Concord (6 franchises, as estimated in the graph)
  • They cancelled TLOU Online and London new IP (8 franchises)
  • Next year or later -some beyond the initially estimated max. March 2026 target- they should release Marathon, Fairgame$, Deviation's game (development seems to have been rebooted and delayed), Horizon Online, Firesprite MP game, another Bungie IP (14 franchises)
  • They have margin to cancel 2 more, or move them outside the group because of their release date. Doing so they'd still have 12 franchises with GaaS
I'd say they don't include here mobile games, as it's the case of Neon Koi game and the Horizon game with NC Soft.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

No, according to Sony the first of the 12 franchises was MLB. Slide from 2021/2022:
86526_99_mystery-playstation-live-games-mlb-the-show-23-last-of-us-factions_full.png

image.png

Notice Gran Turismo 7 isn't listed as a "single-player game catalog" or "live services game catalog" because these graphs seem to be to differentiate the type of products, but GT7 can be included in both sides.
  • Out of the 12 (later, when acquired they added Bungie) this year they'll have in the market MLB, Gran Turismo, Destiny, Firewall, Helldivers, Concord (6 franchises)
  • Theu cancelled TLOU Online and London new IP (8 franchises)
  • Next year or later they should release Marathon, Fairgame$, Deviation's game (development seems to have been rebooted and delayed), Horizon Online, Firesprite MP game, another Bungie IP (14 franchises, so you could cancel 2 or move them outside the group because of their release date and you'd have the 12)
I'd say they don't include here mobile games, as it's the case of Neon Koi game and the Horizon game with NC Soft.
Cool, thanks for sharing. I missed that.

Then people are really overreacting to Sony's current strategy.
Moreso when people like fart town usa fart town usa claim that Sony somehow lost the plot.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Notice Gran Turismo 7 isn't listed as a "single-player game catalog" or "live services game catalog" because these graphs seem to be to differentiate the type of products, but GT7 can be included in both sides.

image.png

• Out of the 12 (later, when acquired they added Bungie) this year they'll have in the market MLB, Gran Turismo, Destiny, Firewall, Helldivers, Concord (6 franchises, as estimated in the graph)
  • They cancelled TLOU Online and London new IP (8 franchises)
  • Next year or later -some beyond the initially estimated max. March 2026 target- they should release Marathon, Fairgame$, Deviation's game (development seems to have been rebooted and delayed), Horizon Online, Firesprite MP game, another Bungie IP (14 franchises, so you could cancel 2 or move them outside the group because of their release date and you'd have the 12)
Firesprite Twisted Metal Online cancelled. If that's the Firesprite MP game you are talking about, it can be moved to the cancelled bullet point. But if they had two games in development and yours is a keeper, then you can leave your bullet and just add TM to cancelled line

KXVXII9X

Sony should do more anime inspired games like It would be dope if they did a cell shaded anime inspired Spider-Man and X-Men and it would still look great and the budget would cost a lot less.
I've been wanting more Non-Photorealistic Rendering (NPR) techniques in more AAA titles for a while now. I think the Superhero genre would benefit from cell shaded and stylized aesthetic.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

No idea what this image is supposed to mean! Much too galaxy brain for me apparently...

Stand by what I said though; This is just what happens in big business. Its a pretty easy calculation to make when everything is reduced to numbers on a spreadsheet. And I'm sure you know that to be the case.

I've always, ALWAYS, been opposed to consolidation for this exact reason. When you become part of a giant money machine, you need to accept that your wellbeing is always going to be subordinate to the health of the corporation.

Its in the root of the word corporate; its from the latin corpus meaning body.

If you make yourself part of somebody else's body, what do you think is going to happen when you get identified as the appendix or some other vestigial or unwanted part?

Beechos

PC (in a way more aggressive push) and Cloud are credible options

And yet an RTX 3070 PC from 2020 will still handily run everything until the generation ends in 2028.
With the way games are made nowadays so will the ps5/series x nothing pushing hardware nowadays.

Top Bottom