• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Might & Magic III - An eternal classic and one of the best games ever made.

Helscream

Banned
I remember being around 6 years old playing Warcraft 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 on my grandfathers computer.

Later on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 come out and my path to gaming was set before me. HoMM3 is my Top 3 for most personally impactful games. Good on you OP for letting the young plebs know what a real PC Classic looks like.

Also I hear that HoMM 3 is really popular in Russia. Think I might go there to marry me a HoMM babe.

You play the Hota exe. It opens with its own start menu.

Online play is btw perfectly functional.
I often play with a friend again at AI.
You can play simultanious turns.

Yeah, but Horns of the Abyss doesn't enable you to play the original campaigns, right? Only the one featured in Horns of the Abyss.

It's not a big deal because i can switch between them on the fly. So once i'm done with the original Complete Edition campaigns, i can switch to Horns of the Abyss and do everything in that (random map generator, scenarios, its exclusive campaign, multiplayer, etc.)

I still have to check some proper info on it to actually understand why Horns of the Abyss is considered one of the best mods for HoMM 3.

I remember being around 6 years old playing Warcraft 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 on my grandfathers computer.

Later on Heroes of Might and Magic 3 come out and my path to gaming was set before me. HoMM3 is my Top 3 for most personally impactful games. Good on you OP for letting the young plebs know what a real PC Classic looks like.

Also I hear that HoMM 3 is really popular in Russia. Think I might go there to marry me a HoMM babe.

Heroes of Might & Magic is very popular in most countries of Europe, especially in slavic countries like Russia and Ukraine, and in my own country. I can't speak of other countries, but in my country PC Gaming has always been much more widespread and popular compared to console gaming. Classics like Heroes of Might & Magic and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are kept alive and relevant by strong modding communities that mostly come from european countries.

Pinktaco

Mmh No i think Hota has its own campaign.

Hota adds a lot of small quality of life improvement, while also tweaking the balance, for better or worse.
It has already added one new faction; cove and will soon add a second faction.

The modders have also added a few new heroes, artifacts and creatures to the world map.

There is also an extra large map size, but tbh I dont enjoy to play it.

I feel as if the resolution is better in Hota compared to the regular HD mod, but I haven't double checked.

Lux R7

Amazing game, however i find myself playing more HoM&M II than III (i play it even on my phone) . That said i think these two games in particolar will never age somehow.

anthraticus

Banned
Great game.

Ascension to the Throne has HOMM like combat with over-the-shoulder running around the world.

Not entirely similar and more in the Master of Magic vein (another great classic), but check out Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and...

Unofficial Patch 1.5, Wizards & Heroes for a better AI and Brave New World mods.

buizel

Banned
If you have a PS Vita there is a homebrew port that runs all maps except the main story mode; was playing a Hobbit one recently, pretty cute. Remember playing this at like 5 and not understanding it, my mate played one of its sequels in school

autoduelist

Definitely a classic, and still holds up last time I checked.

The Might & Magic drpgs are also worth digging into. It's a huge universe.

There's a trash mobile game out now with timers and gacha and nonsense. Makes me sad. I wish they had something respectable out on android but i just spent 10 minutes paging through freemium before giving up.

Kagey K

Banned

There's a trash mobile game out now with timers and gacha and nonsense. Makes me sad. I wish they had something respectable out on android but i just spent 10 minutes paging through freemium before giving up.
Andriod doesn’t have the Heroes III HD port? It’s been out on iOS forever.

Yep, Might & Magic is a legendary franchise of role playing games that were one of other three i can think of (Ultima & Wizardry) that practically laid the foundation for japanese role playing games and western role playing games alike. Dragon Quest was an Ultima clone, for example. There's this fantastic Might & Magic 6-pack Limited Edition package on GOG. It contains the first 6 games in the series:

Might & Magic: Book 1
Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World
Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra
Might & Magic IV & V: World of Xeen
Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

For 11 bucks, you cannot go wrong. I've heard some great things about all of them, and i can already see myself really liking Might & Magic IV & V: World of Xeen (they're combined into one cohesive experience, a massive world to delve in and explore). I actually do remember trying to tackle this behemoth of a series quite a long time ago, but they're not easy. People think Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate are old-school and hard to get into, but on the contrary, they're incredibly streamlined (for me, at least) and IIRC a bit of the marketing behind Baldur's Gate promoted the fact that they were far easier to get into compared to what came before it.

Great game.

Ascension to the Throne has HOMM like combat with over-the-shoulder running around the world.

Not entirely similar and more in the Master of Magic vein (another great classic), but check out Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and...

Unofficial Patch 1.5, Wizards & Heroes for a better AI and Brave New World mods.

I'm actually eyeing the Age of Wonders franchise, i'm planning to get AoW III + all the expansions, and really sit down and give it a solid go. I have been familiar with the Age of Wonders series for a very long time, but i couldn't find any appeal in them. AoW III + the expansions is tempting because of the huge amount of content and polish added via the expansions.

Reactions: Gp1

Lucumo

Funny that this thread shows up, considering I just started watching competitive HotA matches this week.

Also, there is a reason why HoMM III is the best-selling game of all time on GOG (well, ok, it's partly because they removed Baldur's Gate 2, Planscape: Torment etc and replaced those with the "enhanced" editions).

autoduelist

Yep, Might & Magic is a legendary franchise of role playing games that were one of other three i can think of (Ultima & Wizardry) that practically laid the foundation for japanese role playing games and western role playing games alike. Dragon Quest was an Ultima clone, for example. There's this fantastic Might & Magic 6-pack Limited Edition package on GOG. It contains the first 6 games in the series:

Might & Magic: Book 1
Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World
Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra
Might & Magic IV & V: World of Xeen
Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

For 11 bucks, you cannot go wrong. I've heard some great things about all of them, and i can already see myself really liking Might & Magic IV & V: World of Xeen (they're combined into one cohesive experience, a massive world to delve in and explore). I actually do remember trying to tackle this behemoth of a series quite a long time ago, but they're not easy. People think Infinity Engine games like Baldur's Gate are old-school and hard to get into, but on the contrary, they're incredibly streamlined (for me, at least) and IIRC a bit of the marketing behind Baldur's Gate promoted the fact that they were far easier to get into compared to what came before it.

I'm actually eyeing the Age of Wonders franchise, i'm planning to get AoW III + all the expansions, and really sit down and give it a solid go. I have been familiar with the Age of Wonders series for a very long time, but i couldn't find any appeal in them. AoW III + the expansions is tempting because of the huge amount of content and polish added via the expansions.

I would add bard's tale to the list. The trilogy sort of petered out, but they were still quite popular. Wizardry had more direct impact, for sure, in part due to license history.

Plus Wasteland gave us Fallout gave us modern Fallout.

What is it about this game that makes it so replayable and that so many people love it so much? Is there something that I am missing with roaming a map and getting into chess like fights?

What is it about this game that makes it so replayable and that so many people love it so much? Is there something that I am missing with roaming a map and getting into chess like fights?

It's not easy to explain why so many of us love it so deeply, but I'll try. It's true it is in a sense a game where you just wander the map and have chess style battles, like so many games before and after it. While the combat is fun, it's not like it's perfectly balanced. The game doesn't have the greatest writing there ever was or anything like that. But building a town and seeing all the little buildings line up, building an army and figuring out how to find the resources to upgrade your unit production just before the new week comes around and the population grows, of finding a cache of treasure with a powerful new weapon that gives you an advantage, these things just all feel so addictive and rewarding in this game. Many seemingly grandiose sequels have been made that turn out to be soulless in comparison. But Heroes 3 has got all the soul. Every one of these towns, and their races and units, and the visual effects on the unit's different powers like luck boosts or the dreaded gorgon's stare...they're all just so iconic.

It might also be that all you need to reach the point where you love the game is to get far enough that you feel you've figured out for yourself what you think is the most effective way to play and are implementing your personal strategy, proving your own might...and magic.

Xane

What about the VCMI project? If you want to play HOMM3 online with friends, the VCMI remake seems to be the only and/or best way to do so. It's not perfect but I've managed to play some complete matches with it in the past.

Helscream

Banned
Heroes of Might & Magic is very popular in most countries of Europe, especially in slavic countries like Russia and Ukraine, and in my own country. I can't speak of other countries, but in my country PC Gaming has always been much more widespread and popular compared to console gaming. Classics like Heroes of Might & Magic and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are kept alive and relevant by strong modding communities that mostly come from european countries.

Content on Youtube or Twitch for HoMM seems to be in the Russian Language (And of course this implies several countries/regions). I am somewhat aware of the passionate demographic of PC Gamers in Slavic countries. I was just completely dumbfounded (in a good way) how large HoMM3 still has over in Eastern Europe/Russia.

From a stranger Hailing all the way from the state of Texas. I salute thee in keeping these classic PC games alive.

:)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Content on Youtube or Twitch for HoMM seems to be in the Russian Language (And of course this implies several countries/regions). I am somewhat aware of the passionate demographic of PC Gamers in Slavic countries. I was just completely dumbfounded (in a good way) how large HoMM3 still has over in Eastern Europe/Russia.

From a stranger Hailing all the way from the state of Texas. I salute thee in keeping these classic PC games alive.

:)
Ya. Certain kinds of games hold well in those parts of the world..... war and strategy games.

There's also another mod called Day of the Gods or something, which is another big mod.

have you played it?
do you like kingdom sims?
do you like turnbased strategy games?
do you like high fantasy?

if the answer is no to any of those - there is your answer

Last edited:
What about the VCMI project? If you want to play HOMM3 online with friends, the VCMI remake seems to be the only and/or best way to do so. It's not perfect but I've managed to play some complete matches with it in the past.

It's a fantastic project, a modern source port would open some incredible possibilities for the modding community; Think what the various source ports did for the original Doom and Doom II - for example, Brutal Doom is built on top of a source port with vastly more advanced features than the original game. But last i heard it's far from finished. Once it's a viable alternative, then i'll give it a go for sure. I just hope the community that is building this properly spreads the word so the Heroes 3 modding community is aware of it.

The fact that Chess is still massively popular after 545 years speaks volumes to the depth and replay value of just Chess. Combine chess - like mechanics in a video game with a large amount of lore (thanks to the rich history of the Might & Magic series) on its backside - that's Heroes of Might & Magic.

After that, significantly improve upon the design and overall formula introduced in Heroes of Might & Magic with more carefully balanced content and much improved mechanics - That's Heroes of Might & Magic II; Take it a couple of steps further with more content and general improvements to certain mechanics - That's its expansion, Heroes of Might & Magic II: The Price of Loyalty. (later bundled as Heroes of Might & Magic II: Gold Edition)

Now, take a good long ass look at what worked and didn't work in an otherwise really, really great video game (that's Heroes of Might & Magic II: Gold Edition), and pour every ounce of your passion and your very soul into that project by fully exploiting your creative vision and putting your brain to crunch the numbers. And that's exactly what they did. It made Heroes of Might & Magic II: Gold Edition look like a prototype version of Heroes of Might & Magic III. Finally, add some fantastic expansions on top of Heroes of Might & Magic III. And you've got Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition.

Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition
is basically a perfected masterpiece. It's not flawless, nothing created by man will ever be, but what is there has very, very few flaws. Very, very few inconveniences that get in the way of your experience. It's incredibly intuitive and remarkably easy to get into, yet extremely vast in scope that peeling off its layers of depth to actually master everything about it can take years. The art-style is sharp with highly visible elements that are clearly distinctive. Nothing looks out of place and everything is observable and within your field of vision to fully be in control of (this is a big thing, this is a point i actually really appreciate). Yesterday i actually tried playing Age of Wonders III, gave it a solid go. Here's the problem. The visual style is cluttered, convoluted; it's frustrating to make out what the Hell is going on and its tiring to look at. The camera system isn't intuitive, and the camera system for the battles is a joke that is inconvenient to manage.

Age of Wonders III is a vastly different game than Heroes of Might & Magic, but they're the same genre and maybe Age of Wonders III has better mechanics than Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition. Well, unfortunately Age of Wonders III also happens to have a shit ton of inconveniences and unpolished elements that make it much more of an unpleasurable experience to play compared to Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition. Which fundamentally will make the game "age" worse than Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition, which is a ridiculous thing to say given the fact that one title is 5 years old while the other is 20 years old. But there you have it.

The campaign(s), the actual story-driven single-player content is roughly 150 total hours in length and offers high replay value because each campaign offers a vast amount of approachable actions. Once you're done with the campaign(s), you've got a crap ton of single map scenarios with the same level of quality as the campaign and offering the same replay value - another 100 hours right there. Then you've got the Random Map Generator, which is customizable and .. is basically endless in length, i can't even imagine the amount of hours wasted here. And then, on top of all this you've got the ability to play the game in multiplayer with friends/family on the same computer in the Hot Seat mode. Well, fuck. You get the gist.

But what about the rest of the series? Well, Heroes of Might & Magic IV was an unfinished mess of bugs with an ugly art-style of pre-rendered 3D graphics .. because at that time the company (New World Computing) were going bankrupt and firing people left and right, due to poor miss-management by its parent company 3DO (the same guys that made that shitty console). Later on Ubisoft bought the rights to the Might & Magic franchise and saw to the release of Heroes of Might & Magic V which basically copied the HoMM III formula, with problems of its own. The other couple that release (VI and VII) are soulless, generic, mediocre and boring.

What stretch filter do you use in the HD mod?

I'll go a step beyond and tell you my exact specs:

Mode: (stretchable) 32-bit GDI
Source size: 1180x664
Stretch filter: Scale2x + Bilinear Sharper

System Cursors, Full Screen Mode, HD+, etc. all checked "on".

It's a fantastic project, a modern source port would open some incredible possibilities for the modding community; Think what the various source ports did for the original Doom and Doom II - for example, Brutal Doom is built on top of a source port with vastly more advanced features than the original game. But last i heard it's far from finished. Once it's a viable alternative, then i'll give it a go for sure. I just hope the community that is building this properly spreads the word so the Heroes 3 modding community is aware of it.

The fact that Chess is still massively popular after 545 years speaks volumes to the depth and replay value of just Chess. Combine chess - like mechanics in a video game with a large amount of lore (thanks to the rich history of the Might & Magic series) on its backside - that's Heroes of Might & Magic.

After that, significantly improve upon the design and overall formula introduced in Heroes of Might & Magic with more carefully balanced content and much improved mechanics - That's Heroes of Might & Magic II; Take it a couple of steps further with more content and general improvements to certain mechanics - That's its expansion, Heroes of Might & Magic II: The Price of Loyalty. (later bundled as Heroes of Might & Magic II: Gold Edition)

Now, take a good long ass look at what worked and didn't work in an otherwise really, really great video game (that's Heroes of Might & Magic II: Gold Edition), and pour every ounce of your passion and your very soul into that project by fully exploiting your creative vision and putting your brain to crunch the numbers. And that's exactly what they did. It made Heroes of Might & Magic II: Gold Edition look like a prototype version of Heroes of Might & Magic III. Finally, add some fantastic expansions on top of Heroes of Might & Magic III. And you've got Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition.

Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition is basically a perfected masterpiece. It's not flawless, nothing created by man will ever be, but what is there has very, very few flaws. Very, very few inconveniences that get in the way of your experience. It's incredibly intuitive and remarkably easy to get into, yet extremely vast in scope that peeling off its layers of depth to actually master everything about it can take years. The art-style is sharp with highly visible elements that are clearly distinctive. Nothing looks out of place and everything is observable and within your field of vision to fully be in control of (this is a big thing, this is a point i actually really appreciate). Yesterday i actually tried playing Age of Wonders III, gave it a solid go. Here's the problem. The visual style is cluttered, convoluted; it's frustrating to make out what the Hell is going on and its tiring to look at. The camera system isn't intuitive, and the camera system for the battles is a joke that is inconvenient to manage.

Age of Wonders III is a vastly different game than Heroes of Might & Magic, but they're the same genre and maybe Age of Wonders III has better mechanics than Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition. Well, unfortunately Age of Wonders III also happens to have a shit ton of inconveniences and unpolished elements that make it much more of an unpleasurable experience to play compared to Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition. Which fundamentally will make the game "age" worse than Heroes of Might & Magic III: Complete Edition, which is a ridiculous thing to say given the fact that one title is 5 years old while the other is 20 years old. But there you have it.

The campaign(s), the actual story-driven single-player content is roughly 150 total hours in length and offers high replay value because each campaign offers a vast amount of approachable actions. Once you're done with the campaign(s), you've got a crap ton of single map scenarios with the same level of quality as the campaign and offering the same replay value - another 100 hours right there. Then you've got the Random Map Generator, which is customizable and .. is basically endless in length, i can't even imagine the amount of hours wasted here. And then, on top of all this you've got the ability to play the game in multiplayer with friends/family on the same computer in the Hot Seat mode. Well, fuck. You get the gist.

But what about the rest of the series? Well, Heroes of Might & Magic IV was an unfinished mess of bugs with an ugly art-style of pre-rendered 3D graphics .. because at that time the company (New World Computing) were going bankrupt and firing people left and right, due to poor miss-management by its parent company 3DO (the same guys that made that shitty console). Later on Ubisoft bought the rights to the Might & Magic franchise and saw to the release of Heroes of Might & Magic V which basically copied the HoMM III formula, with problems of its own. The other couple that release (VI and VII) are soulless, generic, mediocre and boring.

I'll go a step beyond and tell you my exact specs:

Mode: (stretchable) 32-bit GDI
Source size: 1180x664
Stretch filter: Scale2x + Bilinear Sharper

System Cursors, Full Screen Mode, HD+, etc. all checked "on".

thank you

So I shouldn’t set source size to my monitor resolution (1440p?)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For me it was the following for HoMM 3 Complete:

- Gritty well animate sprites
- Fantasy turn based battles
- The game is easy to learn and not a super complex WWII hex-based simulator
- You don't have to worry about politics, food, supply lines, and real detailed resource management. You basically got gold and maybe around 8 resources to worry about getting to build city structures and monsters
- The Complete edition comes with a random map generator
- Lots of monsters/factions, skills, spells, different terrain like snow, lava, grass etc....
- SP mode has cheat codes, so you can always goof around with things like unlimited move, tons of resources, summon arch angels
- Aside from a few factions I think are too weak, most of the teams are pretty balanced

Last edited:
It's been a very very long time since I last played HoMM3, but would anyone consider it to be similar to Age of Wonders Planetfall? Maybe not exactly the same as I know for a fact a lot of the gameplay is very different, but would AoWP be a "modern" version of it? Just not a masterpiece? I enjoy AoWP a lot, so if HoMM3 is the high fantasy version of it I might actually give it a serious go again.

thank you

So I shouldn’t set source size to my monitor resolution (1440p?)

I definitely wouldn't, everything would look incredibly small; I don't use the native resolution for my own monitor which is 1080p, since even that looks a little too small for me.

But i do know many individuals that prefer to play at native 1080p because they don't mind it and everything is in their field of view. So in the end, I would suggest picking a resolution you're comfortable with, maybe you'll find it perfectly fine to enjoy the game at your native monitor resolution.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the stretch filters are there to help with lower-than-native resolutions. The filter i'm using is fantastic at that resolution - You can check the screenshots in the OP, the art-style is pretty damn crisp.

I definitely wouldn't, everything would look incredibly small; I don't use the native resolution for my own monitor which is 1080p, since even that looks a little too small for me.

But i do know many individuals that prefer to play at native 1080p because they don't mind it and everything is in their field of view. So in the end, I would suggest picking a resolution you're comfortable with, maybe you'll find it perfectly fine to enjoy the game at your native monitor resolution.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the stretch filters are there to help with lower-than-native resolutions. The filter i'm using is fantastic at that resolution - You can check the screenshots in the OP, the art-style is pretty damn crisp.

thank you, I’m gonna reboot and run through the tutorial

dis Gon b good

It's been a very very long time since I last played HoMM3, but would anyone consider it to be similar to Age of Wonders Planetfall? Maybe not exactly the same as I know for a fact a lot of the gameplay is very different, but would AoWP be a "modern" version of it? Just not a masterpiece? I enjoy AoWP a lot, so if HoMM3 is the high fantasy version of it I might actually give it a serious go again.

They're loosely the same genre, but they're vastly different franchises with different strengths and weaknesses. They're not really that comparable, the high fantasy version of Age of Wonders Planetfall is Age of Wonders III or Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

I'll try and boil down the differences, but i'm generally speaking here:

AoW:
Much more rooted/traditional in 4X (like Civilization)
Micromanagement heavy
Diplomacy
Slower

HoMM:
Simpler, much less rooted/traditional in 4X
Macromanagement heavy
Focuses on tactical combat
Faster gameplay/exploration

They're loosely the same genre, but they're vastly different franchises with different strengths and weaknesses. They're not really that comparable, the high fantasy version of Age of Wonders Planetfall is Age of Wonders III or Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

I'll try and boil down the differences, but i'm generally speaking here:

AoW:
Much more rooted/traditional in 4X (like Civilization)
Micromanagement heavy
Diplomacy
Slower

HoMM:
Simpler, much less rooted/traditional in 4X
Macromanagement heavy
Focuses on tactical combat
Faster gameplay/exploration

What would you say the closest modern game would be? Just curious, I am going to install HoMM3 tonight. :)

Alx

just one more turn...
just one more turn...
just one more turn...
I should go to sleep...
just one more turn...

What would you say the closest modern game would be? Just curious, I am going to install HoMM3 tonight. :)

There's no modern equivalent, really. The modern King's Bounty games are probably the closest as in they're very focused on tactical combat, but they're still very different franchises.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those you dabbling with the game for the first time, and you do random maps (my fav), I'd reco the following

- Medium map
- Vs. 3-4 cpu AI. No teams. Every man for himself
- Everyone gets random town, hero, bonus
- A middle/average difficulty
- Traditional success goal. Wipe out all enemies
- No underground (that little cave icon beside XL map. Underground can make games go on forever)
- None or normal water (playing a water heavy map leads to tons of islands and building boats...... gets longwinded)

9EE8AD5A0BBF903000D291D5EE1A940C23D6EDC1

d0nj6MT6bMKmOnfJWVAnsTjeqpKD2-liLpQUeLFIbo8T-XIVGh5TS9fyMwu3q-ogt5PWjFc2Vn12KCVnimCKVyoGAc7rw6hy1JSX5GAz13ywiFvw5AARepZ0jr0x

Last edited:

amigastar

I have a question, how is the tactical depth of this game, because what i've tried wasn't very deep in regards of combat.
Want to get into HoMM 3 but i don't really know if i will like it.
Does the game still hold up today?

Last edited:

Braag

I used to play this with a friend for hours on end. Almost every day after school we would spend hours playing this at his house.

Edit: Damn this a necro bump lol

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
What a crazy bump.

I have a question, how is the tactical depth of this game, because what i've tried wasn't very deep in regards of combat.
Want to get into HoMM 3 but i don't really know if i will like it.

Ultimately it's about manipulating your army in to a series of fights where you suffer little to no loses by taking advantage of ranged/melee correctly and positioning them so the enemies can't hit them while fighting for control of the resources on the map to continue to build your army faster than the CPU/opponent. There's more strategy in the planning of playing the level than the actual combat, where the combat itself generally has an ideal/perfect solution while fighting for control of the map is much more chaotic and random, demanding you to make decisions of A/B, etc.

skit_data

Thread title is on point. It's one of those games I'd choose if I had to choose only one game to play for the rest of my life.
It was great when I played it as kid and it's even better now that you are older and understand the mechanics better. I played it with a friend just the other week, us two vs computer controlled opponents. The computer difficulty is pretty damn steep, I can't win a game on anything other than the lowest difficulty.

Edit: It's a damn tragedy the newer games doesn't come close to HoMM 3, but then again it's pretty much perfect as is.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Minsc recapped the game well.

The combat portion isn't very deep. You got a slew of factions and each one has their 7-8 monsters. Your heroes have a magic book and you level it up in terms of # of spells and spell power.

Once you play the game enough, you have an idea how predictable the AI is and overall, it's not that smart. You can goad it into doing stupid things over and over again winning certain battle situations which you would never win against a good AI or human opponent.

It is what it is. It's a 20+ year old game. Part of the coolness about the game is simply the detailed sprite work and animations. HOMM4 went to polygons which I avoided.

If you take the plunge, just get it off a GOG deal. HOMM Complete Edition which is all DLC (including random map maker which is the best part). Technically, the random map deature is baked into one of the two DLC they released. I forget which one. But Complete Edition has everything. On deal, the game is like $4. If you just get the standard game, it's solely campaign scenarios. When I got the game, I got it when the Complete Edition was out and I played it a ton. I only played random maps too. I never touched the story campaign once. I find it more fun doing random skirmish matches than being funneled through canned handcrafted levels with little replayability.

Last edited:

Gp1

HoMM 3 is probably one of my favorite games on PC. I can't decide which one i like more between this, Doom and the original Xcom.

And the game got some real good mods over the time. Be sure to check it out The Horn of the abyss.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amigastar, one more thing.

You'll see UBI released a HOMM 3 HD version. Steam says it came out in 2015.

Make note, this is the standard version only. There is no HD DLC. So it's just SP campaigns maps. Story is according to google when they decided to HD the game, they supposedly lost the source code to the DLC so they couldnt make HD versions of it. lol

So I'd go for the Complete version. It's cheaper and has way more content. I doubt the HD game even looks much better than the originally released games.

Hestar69

whats wrong with the steam version (besides not having the DLC) I bough it last year on steam but havent played it yet.

DelireMan7

Damn ! I remember spending hours on this game ! Sprites are so gorgeous.

When I was young, it was pretty challenging. Usually, after few hours, the CPU was coming to my base and had a massive army I couldn't beat xD

Need to replay it

Lux R7

i have a special place in my heart for HoM&M II, but III is a classic, fantastic almost flawless game.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Gp1

Gp1

Am I the only one who prefer Heroes of Might and Magic II?

It was my first experience with the series. I've played the shareware version to exhaustion in mom's workstation, a Pentium 100 IBM Aptiva. Feeling very nostalgic with this since my mom passed alway recently.

And there is a total conversion of HoMM 2 campaign for the 3rd game

Last edited:
Top Bottom