• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush and Ghostwire Tokyo studio rumored to be making a JRPG next

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
RZVMhKTcG5guD56mJPMLQY-1200-80.jpg.webp

This information comes from leaker eXtas1s (via this Reddit post) who claims that Tango Gameworks is currently working on a JRPG which will be a new IP for the studio. If you need a little more convincing though, this info has reportedly come from the same source as the Hideo Kojima Overdose leak, as well as the person who accurately leaked news of the Baiten Kaitos remaster.

According to the leaker, this mysterious JRPG is just one of two games currently known to be in the works at the studio, with the other one apparently not being The Evil Within 3 or any games within that series - despite the fact it was seemingly teased in a Hi-Fi Rush Easter egg.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
New IP JRPG and a 2nd new IP would be the best case scenario honestly. I dont need Evil Within anytime soon.

I guess this leaker has some cred but I'll keep my powder dry and wait for now. Pretty damn exciting rumor though given how great HFR was. Really enjoying Ghostwire a lot as well. If true this would make them one of the most versatile Japanese studios out there. Horror TPS, FPS magic game, rhythm character action, and a JRPG?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Triple H Yes GIF by WWE

Interesting. Mikami's motto for Tango was that he didn't want the studio to become a one-trick survival horror genre pony so this fits with the studios mission statement.

Won't be opposed at all if it retains the Hi-Fi Rush art style.

adamsapple

According to the leaker, this mysterious JRPG is just one of two games currently known to be in the works at the studio, with the other one apparently not being The Evil Within 3 or any games within that series - despite the fact it was seemingly teased in a Hi-Fi Rush Easter egg.

Interesting, two games in development. I would be A-OK if they have one smaller game in the vein of HF Rush again.

Pimpbaa

Hope they don’t use UE4 again. I mean it was fine for Hi-Fi Rush with its linear levels, but Ghostwire Tokyo is a dumpster fire in terms of performance.

Two projects?

I thought they were a small studio.

Maybe its a top down turn based jrpg.

Hopefully they put some uniqueness in it just like all their other games.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
If true I just hope that they do not show it until it is ready. The game should still be in preproduction so let the studio find what game they want to make.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Even if they don’t it will release on pc and balance out of its great.
Sure, but there are lot of JRPGs comes out on PC that completely skips over Xbox. If you want to see more JRPGs on Xbox then they need show there is audience for it.

Make Lost Odyssey 2
You need ask Mistwalker not Tanago Games.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Not a fan of JRPG's, so while I can't say this is for me, good on the studio for diversifying and mixing it up with new genres anyway. Great to see a studio that's not afraid of trying new things.

Sure, but there are lot of JRPGs comes out on PC that completely skips over Xbox. If you want to see more JRPGs on Xbox then they need show there is audience for it.

Looser attitude from Japanese companies. Should be seen as growth opportunity.

"It won't sell so we won't make it in first place" this is primary reason why Japanese console games industry is not what it used to be.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Looser attitude from Japanese companies. Should be seen as growth opportunity.

"It won't sell so we won't make it in first place" this is primary reason why Japanese console games industry is not what it used to be.
I'm no expert but Japanese developers did not used release that many games on PC but these days we are seeing more and more Japanese games comes out PC, because the PC player bought those games and showed there is audience for it. If Xbox players are not willing to supported the games then why Japanese developers bother?

Sales? With GamePass baby, we don’t need sales
Did that help with original Octopath release?

Last edited:
I'm no expert but Japanese developers did not used release that many games on PC but these days we are seeing more and more Japanese games comes out PC, because the PC player bought those games and showed there is audience for it. If Xbox players are not willing to supported the games then why Japanese developers bother?

This is 2021 data. PC gaming in Japan is bigger than all 3 consoles combined. No wonder their games are selling much better on PC.

"With $2.7 billion in Console gaming, $22.5 billion in Mobile gaming, and $3.8 billion in PC gaming, Japan is among the top five countries in all segments and is the second biggest market in the Asia-Pacific region."

What Japanese developers need is, make inroads into Western market like Capcom, and to a certain extent Tango with Hifi Rush.

Varteras

Gold Member
Very interested if true. I really liked Evil Within and I'm very curious what kind of RPG a studio built by Mikami could come up with.

Majukun

hf rush was their first character action game and they pretty much nailed it, so i'm all for them digging their hands on another genre

RagnarokIV

If it's turn based ala Blue Dragon, proper FF games then I'm 100% in.

If it's one of those stupid real-time/hybrid battle systems then I don't give a shit and won't waste my time.

Elitro

Sounds interesting.

The story in HI-FI Rush was as generic as it gets, but it was still engaging. The writing was hilarious on some characters (CNMN) and i loved the constant tech industry jokes. Looking forward to it!

Godot25

Banned
Two projects?

I thought they were a small studio.

Maybe its a top down turn based jrpg.

Hopefully they put some uniqueness in it just like all their other games.
Does anybody even knows how big Tango is? Because for western studios you can just browse LinkedIn and have a hunch of how big XYZ studio is. But Tango have only 13 devs on LinkedIn so it's clear that they don't use this social network.

I saw somewhere that Tango is 160+ devs, but I don't know if it is a true.

Last edited:

Musilla

eXtas1s is not a leaker, he is an Xbox fanboy and PlayStation hater who endorses rumors on 4chan, reddit or any other "source" he finds on the Internet, I'd say he's a pretty crazy guy.

adamsapple

Does anybody even knows how big Tango is? Because for western studios you can just browse LinkedIn and have a hunch of how big XYZ studio is. But Tango have only 13 devs on LinkedIn so it's clear that they don't use this social network.

I saw somewhere that Tango is 160+ devs, but I don't know if it is a true.

they have anywhere from 50 to 150 employees going by those job scouting websites.

PanzerCute

If it's turn based ala Blue Dragon, proper FF games then I'm 100% in.

If it's one of those stupid real-time/hybrid battle systems then I don't give a shit and won't waste my time.
FF is using ATB since FFIV, it has not been stricly turn based since then.

I don't really get your post.

DaGwaphics

They are so good with the art style they used in Hi-Fi Rush that I hope one of the projects extends that style to a more typical non-rhythm based game.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not a fan of JRPG's, so while I can't say this is for me, good on the studio for diversifying and mixing it up with new genres anyway. Great to see a studio that's not afraid of trying new things.
I can't stand JRPGs. I'd much rather have Evil Within 3, but this studio is definitely showing an amazing amount of versatility.

Hi-Fi Rush was certainly a high-quality game and hopefully this one will be of the same caliber. If they would westernize it I'd at least give it a shot. If not no biggie, Xbox already has all my favorite WRPG devs and this is a great addition for those that do like JRPGs.

Top Bottom