• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Announces OD | The Game Awards 2023

SCB3

Season 4 Episode 22 GIF by The Simpsons

Me anytime a new Kojima game is first shown

Maybe it'll end up being something a kin to Bandersnatch, but where you get to select your character and you just have a bunch of actors who have all recorded the same lines.

My guess is that like Bandersnatch, you can play it via the cloud as a streaming movie, so you can play it on PC, Xbox, or your phone.

Last edited:

tmlDan

If this is cloud based, what happens if my connection drops? the faces look like blobs of shit? Just release a movie then Kojima

Kerotan

Doubtful. I'm pretty sure everyone else passed on this after the Stadia version collapsed. MS is just desperate to get anything Kojima, as if that will pry his fans off of PS, so they're just bank rolling the rest of its development.

Either way, it's just one of his crazier ideas that even Sony wasn't interested in. That should tell you something. And after seeing this preview, I get why they passed on it.
No you're right and someone already pointed this out. If MS saved a failed Google project fair enough.

MacReady13

How anyone could get remotely excited over this is beyond me. We know nothing about this game/movie/interactive experience/whatever the fuck it is.

Also, the power of the cloud? Haven’t we heard this bullshit before during the launch of the Xbox one? And Jordan Peele helping out along with many other creatives? This sounds less like a game and more like that new Silent Hill bullshit that was recently released.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Interactive movie where others can influence the story or something. We’ve seen the leaked video already.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
The usual Kojima trailer that tells you absolutely nothing I see.. Call me when there’s something worthwhile to show.

SCB3

O look it's classic Kojima: high-res facial scans of c-tier celebrities saying random shit in a trailer that tells you literally nothing but looks like a pretentious art project. Dude just can't help himself, can he.

Very exciting times.
Le-li-lu-li-lo

The signs were there all along brother

FunkMiller

Kinda pathetic to make this kind of ‘announcement’. just fucking wait until you’ve got something concrete to show - whatever the hell it is.

winjer

Gold Member
WTF is this crap?
It would be ok, if it was a tech reel for a game engine's facial tech.
But for a game, it's about nothing.

Roberts

I have no clue what to expect from this but Peele's involvement has peaked my interest. I think he is a very talented filmmaker (Loved Get Out and Nope) who is yet to find his true potential and it would be interesting to see where they will take this one thematically.

Ha, it looks like good old Udo is reading from cue cards, though.

Well, is this an interactive movie or something? I'll try it with Game Pass but I'm not feeling just yet. They basically said a lot but told us nothing.

Ozriel

M$FT
How anyone could get remotely excited over this is beyond me. We know nothing about this game/movie/interactive experience/whatever the fuck it is.

People seemed to get excited for the first Death Stranding trailer and it also told us practically nothing about the game.

Also, the power of the cloud? Haven’t we heard this bullshit before during the launch of the Xbox one?

this is 2023. Tech’s changed since then. The Finals is out right now and making waves…and uses Cloud power to simulate extreme environmental destruction.

Lokaum D+

i dont think a cinematic/movie game thing like Quantic Dreams ones or Netflix Black Mirror Bandersnatch ll gonna go well with Xbox player base, lets see what happens.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

In the leaked FTC docs, MS's plan is for XBOX NEXT to be half based on cloud technology and AI...... I would NOT be surprised if the idea of OD is a launch taking that technology into account. The dates would even fit.
Today, the closest thing would be Flight Simulator and to run that game you mainly need physical hardware.

I have a feeling it’ll be like Silent Hill Ascention….but weirder. An interactive movie, but maybe the choices are a little more instant.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Doubtful. I'm pretty sure everyone else passed on this after the Stadia version collapsed. MS is just desperate to get anything Kojima, as if that will pry his fans off of PS, so they're just bank rolling the rest of its development.

Either way, it's just one of his crazier ideas that even Sony wasn't interested in. That should tell you something. And after seeing this preview, I get why they passed on it.

giphy.gif

"Sony wasn't interested in this, believe me... "

SHA

Death Stranding didn’t need a sequel, and the world doesn’t need an actual moviegame from Kojimbo. Just make an MGS spiritual successor.
The delivery service isn't art, I don't know how they do come up with these ideas.

Last edited:
It's basically just an announcement that Kojima is working on a horror game after years of speculation and rumor. That's the only real value the teaser has. It otherwise doesn't actually tell us anything about the game itself. It's more to demonstrate the technology and actors involved with the project.

So yeah, kind of a "Meh" teaser unless you really wanted confirmation that he was working on something horror related.

Top Bottom