• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A24 are partnering with Kojima Productions to produce the upcoming Death Stranding live-action feature film adaptation

Official Press Release: https://www.kojimaproductions.jp/en/A24-announcement

A24, the studio behind Academy Award winning films such as Everything Everywhere All At Once has announced a collaboration with KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS to adapt Hideo Kojima’s acclaimed video game, DEATH STRANDING, into a live-action feature film.

The announcement comes ahead of KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS, 8th Anniversary on 16th December marking a new milestone in video game to film adaptations. The film promises to delve into the mysteries surrounding the apocalyptic event called the “Death Stranding”, which blurred the lines between life and death, and brought forth nightmarish creatures into a world on the brink of collapse.

Hailed as the architect of the stealth genre and a pioneer in interactive storytelling, Hideo Kojima continually shifts the boundaries between film and game. Widely considered the father of the stealth genre, he is also credited with innovating both story-telling and cinematic presentation in video games at large. In 2020, Hideo Kojima received the BAFTA Fellowship, the highest accolade bestowed by BAFTA upon an individual in recognition of exceptional contribution to film, games or television.
Hideo Kojima said: “A24 was born into this world about 10 years ago, their presence is singular within the industry, they are like no other. The films they are delivering to the world are high in quality and very innovative. I have been attracted to their creations and they have even inspired my own work. Their innovative approach to storytelling aligns with what Kojima Productions has been doing for the last 8 years. Now, we are making a Death Stranding movie together. There are a lot of “game adaptation films" out there but what we are creating is not just a direct translation of the game. The intention is that our audience will not only be fans of the games, but our film will be for anyone who loves cinema. We are creating a Death Stranding universe that has never been seen before, achievable only through the medium of film, it will be born.”

Hideo.Kojima_A24release_F.jpeg

Oddly enough they've announced it via their merch shop: https://shop.a24films.com/products/a24-x-kojima-productions-death-stranding-logo-tee

"It’s official: we’ve partnered with Kojima Productions on the live-action feature film adaptation of Hideo Kojima’s acclaimed video game,
Death Stranding.

Share your excitement with our new DS-inspired A24 logo tee, featuring a custom A24 x Kojima Productions woven label."

20230720_A24_Kojima_Tee_1874-tight-gray.jpg

Last edited:
Aren't they indie?

Unless they rope in (no pun intended) some big production house, I don't see them casting the game's already ensemble cast of Mads Mikkelsen, Norman Reedus, Tommie Earl Jenkins, Léa Seydoux, Margaret Qualley, Lindsay Wagner etc, for actor budget alone, when A24 usually have their budget in the double digit millions.

This might be their most ambitious and most expensive project yet, even if the OG cast are all replaced with new actors, who's footing the bill?

fallingdove

I just hope that the script writer is blessed by some divine force to limit the usage of the words beach, explosion and knots. It was tiresome to be hit over the head by that nonsense for 30 hours, I don’t know that I could stand it for another 3.

Kojima, I love ya but where your quirkiness was once restrained, Death Stranding reinforced how quickly something can go sideways when you forget about how “less is more”.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I just hope that the script writer is blessed by some divine force to limit the usage of the words beach, explosion and knots. It was tiresome to be hit over the head by that nonsense for 30 hours, I don’t know that I could stand it for another 3.

Kojima, I love ya but where your quirkiness was once restrained, Death Stranding reinforced how quickly something can go sideways when you forget about how “less is more”.

Instead, it will be filled with :

- "vocal parasite"
- "Huh ? "
- "Metal gear ?!?!?"

Sonik

This is perfect for me, the only reason I wanted to play the game was for the weird sci-fi story

It's official now: https://www.kojimaproductions.jp/en/A24-announcement

A24, the studio behind Academy Award winning films such as Everything Everywhere All At Once has announced a collaboration with KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS to adapt Hideo Kojima’s acclaimed video game, DEATH STRANDING, into a live-action feature film.

The announcement comes ahead of KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS, 8th Anniversary on 16th December marking a new milestone in video game to film adaptations. The film promises to delve into the mysteries surrounding the apocalyptic event called the “Death Stranding”, which blurred the lines between life and death, and brought forth nightmarish creatures into a world on the brink of collapse.

Hailed as the architect of the stealth genre and a pioneer in interactive storytelling, Hideo Kojima continually shifts the boundaries between film and game. Widely considered the father of the stealth genre, he is also credited with innovating both story-telling and cinematic presentation in video games at large. In 2020, Hideo Kojima received the BAFTA Fellowship, the highest accolade bestowed by BAFTA upon an individual in recognition of exceptional contribution to film, games or television.

Hideo Kojima said: “A24 was born into this world about 10 years ago, their presence is singular within the industry, they are like no other. The films they are delivering to the world are high in quality and very innovative. I have been attracted to their creations and they have even inspired my own work. Their innovative approach to storytelling aligns with what Kojima Productions has been doing for the last 8 years. Now, we are making a Death Stranding movie together. There are a lot of “game adaptation films" out there but what we are creating is not just a direct translation of the game. The intention is that our audience will not only be fans of the games, but our film will be for anyone who loves cinema. We are creating a Death Stranding universe that has never been seen before, achievable only through the medium of film, it will be born.”

Hideo.Kojima_A24release_F.jpeg

This was always his goal. He made this “game” so it might become a film property. He’s been wanting to get into Hollywood for years.

peronmls

A24 productions all feel the same. Slow, boring, and pretentious. It's like watching a movie with the good stuff cut out. Unless you are a good director like Ari Aster which is not the case. Way too much talking in the games. I don't think it will be enjoyable at all.

The Fartist

Gold Member
In fact I don't like Call of Duty, the last one I played was Ghost on PS3
The point I was trying to make is that you complain about most A24 movies being slow and boring (I disagree), while at the same time Death Stranding is, subjectively, slow and boring. On paper, by your metric, A24 making a Death Stranding movie sounds like a match made in heaven. I wasn't implying that you like Call of Duty, I was merely jokingly suggesting that you should stick to Avengers movies, which are more akin to Call of Duty, with the non-stop action spectacle/theme-park nature to them, to quote Scorsese.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The point I was trying to make is that you complain about most A24 movies being slow and boring (I disagree), while at the same time Death Stranding is, subjectively, slow and boring. On paper, by your metric, A24 making a Death Stranding movie sounds like a match made in heaven. I wasn't implying that you like Call of Duty, I was merely jokingly suggesting that you should stick to Avengers movies, which are more akin to Call of Duty, with the non-stop action spectacle/theme-park nature to them, to quote Scorsese.

Don't be angry xD

Although Death Stranding has some action scenes.

Top Bottom