• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

High on Life | Review Thread

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm early on, but the part
where you first go down to the slums and run into a guy nonchalantly going "Oh, man, I broke my leg coming down that pipe. Be careful" as his leg sat completely separated from his body
had me legitimately cracking up for a good ten seconds or so. If I can get one moment like that per hour, this will be the funniest game ever made for me

Oh, if that had you laughing for a good 10 seconds, you're in for a treat.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance
Simon Cowell Wow GIF by America's Got Talent
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Roiland is calculatedly apolitical in fact. He talks in interviews about just completely avoiding those sorts of polarized subjects so that he doesn't have to deal with that kind of thing.
Unless that's your shtick it's what a good entertainer should do.

Christ I want to go back to when you could just enjoy something for what it was without having to wonder if the creator would happily put you in a gulag.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I think they did that on purpose but I've had a couple of instances where the voice actor breaks out of character and giggles a bit 😆

adamsapple

I think they did that on purpose but I've had a couple of instances where the voice actor breaks out of character and giggles a bit 😆

Oh yeah that is definitely some Roiland improv. It instantly reminded me of the Rick and Morty space cable tv episodes.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Just finished. Enjoyed it but man I had some weird glitches bugs and a crash near the end. Thought my save game was fucked up. Here's hoping for a sequel, yeah I saw the secret.

oldergamer

Beat this a few days ago. Loved it, but a larger budget and maybe another month or two of development time would've helped. It has that classic "first game of a new IP" feel.

Absolutely charmed by it though. Still thinking about it regularly days later. 8/10 from me.

The ending was kind of abrubt, but I LOVED
the final gun you get. every time I heard "LEZDOIT" I cracked up. So fun
It has multiple endings from what i read

adamsapple

It has multiple endings from what i read

There's one narrative ending per-say, but there is a very good sequel hook thing that I guess you can say acts like a post-credits zinger in a Marvel movie. There's no objective that leads you to it, you have to find an unmarked item in a location you visit once in the game to start that hidden-quest.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I can't believe how much I'm loving this game. The humor is lowbrow 12 year-old nerd-boy level and I'm embarrassed to admit I'm laughing my ass off. The gun and gameplay are surprisingly really good, and the game is so much fun.

Jennings

I just finished the campaign. I've never heard of Rick & Morty or Roiland before playing this game so all that sort of stylistic humor here was new to me. As for actual gameplay, I mostly enjoyed hunting for the lock boxes, I just enjoy that sort of shit.

I also enjoy arena/wave attack type games, like DOOM 2016 & Eternal, so I was right at home here with the more casual arena/wave attacks HoL offers. The game isn't perfect, but it deserves higher scores than the bullshit most reviewers assigned it. I can think of a couple quality of life improvements needed asap, with the biggest one being waypoint markers on exit portals when you're re-visiting maps for collectables. But other than that and a few other minor quibbles and small bugs I think it was a rock solid experience that did what it set out to do.

And yes, I did end up watching two entire movies in the game spread over a couple days as I ate lunch etc. Tammy the T-Rex and Demon Wind. I didn't sit long for the others.

MOTM

Banned
I’m away for the holidays so don’t have my Series X. Played the first 3h on Xcloud and loving it so far. Have no idea how people would score this anything under a 7.

I do feel that a lot of self righteous super edgy media/press people wouldn’t want to be seen as enjoying this game. It’s very refreshing and they obviously aren’t playing it safe or PG with the writing/humour.

Foilz

Banned
I'm having a blast with the game. It's running silly smooth on my PC (XGP) and now that I changed a few engine.ini settings to remove the blue the game looks fantastic. I know the humor isn't for everyone but it's a good game. Im currently in the van/ship listening to the love birds fighting. If iw as to rate the game I'd give it a solid 80/100. It's brings a simple, fresh and unique to the industry that is full of literally carbon copies.

I do wish you could skip some of the dialogue and I hate the sisters voice

Finished the game last weekend, Series X. Probably my favorite game on 2022 but that's mostly because I went in with zero expectations and tbh it was a major breath of fresh air compared to many other "by the numbers" games we see released year in and year out.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This game is great. Humor is outright retarded, so it's right up my alley.
Exactly, in fact the whole game is retarded, and I absolutely LOVE IT. Sequel NOW!

I'm so bummed I finished the game; it was so much fun. I'm going to go try to find the hidden quest and achievement adamsapple adamsapple mentioned. I don't want this game to end, dammit.

Exactly, in fact the whole game is retarded, and I absolutely LOVE IT. Sequel NOW!

I'm so bummed I finished the game; it was so much fun. I'm going to go try to find the hidden quest and achievement adamsapple adamsapple mentioned. I don't want this game to end, dammit.
Collecting all the chests is pretty fun. They're hidden well and the movement is so fun in the game. I got all of them in the first two areas so far. Just keep an eye on the radar for blue lines and it's fun.

Topher

Gold Member
Any tips on beating the Skrendel Brothers? These guys are throwing shit at me all at the same time and I'm dying really quick. Think I've managed to kill one of them one time.

Sheesh.....I knew I should have just kept watching Demon Wind.

Last edited:
Any tips on beating the Skrendel Brothers? These guys are throwing shit at me all at the same time and I'm dying really quick. Think I've managed to kill one of them one time.

Tap A works better than you think for the green ground waves and doesn't waste hover meter. That's about it.

Just find guns you like and stick to it. See if there's a hover spot or grapple spot to fall back on to recharge shields. I wasnt stuck there too much. Did that fight 3x I think. Use your specials. Switch to eveey gun and use specials.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Tap A works better than you think for the green ground waves and doesn't waste hover meter. That's about it.

Just find guns you like and stick to it. See if there's a hover spot or grapple spot to fall back on to recharge shields. I wasnt stuck there too much. Did that fight 3x I think. Use your specials.

Finding a place to regen may be the trick. Thanks for the tips.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm a couple of hours in and I'm having a good time. I'm not really a fan of first person shooters, but I think the fact that it doesn't take itself so seriously helps a lot. i don't know that it would work without the humor.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Use Creature to get the hook bug so you can swing around. Use Kenny as your primary. Be aggressive, the fight gets easier with each guy you take out, so if you can take out two real quick you should be good.

Topher

Gold Member
Use Creature to get the hook bug so you can swing around. Use Kenny as your primary. Be aggressive, the fight gets easier with each guy you take out, so if you can take out two real quick you should be good.

Thanks. I finally beat them last night before bed doing pretty much what you said. Really the only boss that has given me problems so far.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Finally got around to playing this and I can see that I wasn't the only one to sit down on the couch and just start watching Tammy and The T-Rex, lol. What a bizarre addition to the game but somehow it's totally fitting. That joke where the alien said "I hope this Paul Walker guy survived the apocalypse" had me bursting out in laughter but the best part is that it took me a good 10 seconds before I actually got it.

Pretty cool game so far. There are plenty of genuinely funny moments but there are equally as much groaners here, unfortunately. I imagine that they were basically just throwing everything at the wall and didn't even expect all of the jokes to stick, but then they were like "fuck it, it's a long game and we need to fill the time with something".

TheUsual

Gold Member
Man, I accidently overwrote my save file on XSX today.
Was fighting Nipulon and died mid fight. The game takes me back to the main menu and I hit continue. It tries loading but goes immediately back to the game main menu. I did this multiple times and thought it a gimmick to the fight as you are high and thought it was the game being meta on me . I then started a new game. That also kept crashing back to the main menu so I quit the game and relaunched it.
The game now completely starts over from the beginning.

Not too happy about this. Must be one heck of a rare bug as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom