• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

His Holiness Dalai Lama defends his "innocent and playful" viral pedo move

Outlier

I don't know how to respond.
In some cultures stuff similar to this is "normal", but the fact that he felt the need to apologize tells me that this is something HE likes to do and others outside his circle don't approve.
Either way. Disgusting.

What we need here is good old fashioned castration.

mDcuqpW.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well shit on my hat, I was 90% certain that video was doctored.

I don't think an apology is enough here. Being old and eccentric is one thing, this is obviously something entirely different. It seems no religious organization is immune to this.

Edit: I need coffee

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well shit on my hat, I was 90% certain that video was doctored.

I don't think an apology is enough here. Being old and eccentric is one thing, this is obviously something entirely different. It seems no religious organization is immune to this.

Edit: I need coffee
Yeah, the audio seemed completely mismatched, but apparently it was real after all.

Mistake

I learned recently that sticking out the tongue is some old tibeten greeting. Him saying that after kissing the kid is pretty messed up though

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Animated GIF
bh187-bill-and-ted-bogus-journey.gif

It might have been more understandable, if not acceptable, for him to lean into a Tantric explanation, had that been it.

HoodWinked

This is a bit of a weird one. When I first saw it after it broke, I thought it was gross. But then I heard there was more to it, like him sticking out his tongue being a playful and joking thing he does. I recalled seeing images of him sticking his tongue out, so that felt credible. As for the sucking on the tongue, it seemed like the audio was faked. Well, I guess I'm back to thinking it's gross, which is unfortunate.

MMaRsu

Banned
As far as I know, using tongues is a form of greeting in ancient Tibet.

Sticking out one's tongue is a sign of respect or agreement and was often used as a greeting in traditional Tibetan culture.

Sticking out your tongue is traditionally a sign of respect or agreement and has also been used as a greeting in Tibetan culture, according to the Institute of East Asian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley.

Perhaps the most famous Western cultural reference to this tradition comes in the film Seven Years in Tibet starring Brad Pitt, where Pitt’s character encounters a group of children who stick out their tongues at him. The film offers no further explanation of their actions.

According to Tibetan folklore, people in the Buddhist culture began sticking out their tongue to disassociate themselves from the 9th century Tibetan king Lang Darma, who was infamous for his cruelty and was said to have had a black tongue.

As Buddhists believe in reincarnation after death, the tradition is said to have emerged as a way for people to show they were not the king reincarnated and therefore not to be associated with his evil deeds.

However, there is no mention in either this folklore or the broader traditional greeting of sucking the tongue.

But yeah the sucking of the tongue is weird.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
He’s 87 years old folks... My grandmother is younger than him and barely knows anything any more.

He should not in this position any more, that is all. He used to be cool bloke all his life. We should not forget about that just because he’s loosing it with age. I’m sure some of us here will get some mental issues with age as well.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
How would you react to an old man asking your son to suck their tounge?

Joking or not.
Since it was Dalai Lama, which I know is trying to be funny and is just being awkward, and since I know he didn't actually suck his tongue or wanted him to do that, I would chalk it up to him being a senile old man who doesn't understand what he is doing.

If he actually got the kid to suck his tongue, it would be a different matter.

MilkLizard

Why can't all these people just be normal ffs. This one wants a kid sucking his tongue, others marry their adoptive children, another sell candles smelling like their pussy or another saying 22 Jump Street healed their fucking antisemitism, pedo islands...why the fuck can't these motherfuckers just be normal fucking people like the rest of us. JFC these cunts piss me off.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Since it was Dalai Lama, which I know is trying to be funny and is just being awkward, and since I know he didn't actually suck his tongue or wanted him to do that, I would chalk it up to him being a senile old man who doesn't understand what he is doing.

If he actually got the kid to suck his tongue, it would be a different matter.
jimmy saville was a hoot too :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You have zero idea what this bloke does behined closed doors, no one does. What we do know though is an old bloke just asked a kid to suck his tounge, live on air

If this was a world where pedo rape gangs didnt roam the country, Epstein island didnt exist with the list names hidden, indoctrination of children to change genders wasnt happening, exposing kids to over sexualised content wasnt happening and we all sung songs of joy then yes, I could honestly say it's just a laugh. This weird fetish the (mainly left) seems to have with children doesnt help..

But fuck knows. Maybe the Dalai's on that list.

You dont know either way so there is no point in arguing his case unless you feel doing so will help your feelings or beliefs, and thats on you.

And just so you know, quite a few old blokes in cognitive decline have their old hidden away disgustingness come out in ways you really dont want to know about (y)

RAÏSanÏa

jimmy saville was a hoot too :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You have zero idea what this bloke does behined closed doors, no one does. What we do know though is an old bloke just asked a kid to suck his tounge, live on air

If this was a world where pedo rape gangs didnt roam the country, Epstein island didnt exist with the list names hidden, indoctrination of children to change genders wasnt happening, exposing kids to over sexualised content wasnt happening and we all sung songs of joy then yes, I could honestly say it's just a laugh. This weird fetish the (mainly left) seems to have with children doesnt help..

But fuck knows. Maybe the Dalai's on that list.

You dont know either way so there is no point in arguing his case unless you feel doing so will help your feelings or beliefs, and thats on you.

And just so you know, quite a few old blokes in cognitive decline have their old hidden away disgustingness come out in ways you really dont want to know about (y)
Pedo rape gangs roam your country? Epstein is dead. Education isn't indoctrination. It's difficult to control what kids access on the internet when they get unrestricted access, can only give them the tools to navigate, unless you are suggesting a puritanical internet?

Last edited:
This is so overblown it's ridiculous. People want something to hate I guess.

Yes it's just typical fridays to ask a 15 year old to "suck my tongue". Like...who doesn't do that? /s

Not only is that gross but the kid is clearly uncomfortable and doesn't want anything to do with it.

Makes me wonder what he has done when the cameras aren't around if he's this lost in his old age.

I'm probably more interested in hearing from people familiar with Tibetan culture than I am from NPC Twitterati.
Apparently sticking your tongue out is a tradition, depending on the context of course. Asking kids to suck on them...no, obviously, lmao.

Last edited:
This is disgusting and utterly bizarre...I mean, why would you do that while being filmed? Did the guy think he was/is untouchable? 😐

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sure, thinking dalai lama is a pedo is normal, but disliking a marvel movie, that's too much.
What is the appropriate level of outrage someone should have when a spiritual leader puts his tongue in a kid's mouth compared to the average person doing it?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I dunno, I think it's definitely odd and inappropriate. But watching the video, it doesn't necessary seem sexual. I'm not going to condemn the dude, but it's definitely sus.

I'm probably more interested in hearing from people familiar with Tibetan culture than I am from NPC Twitterati.

Dalai Lama just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Tibetan culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being a pedo. If you get your tongue sucked by a child over in Tibet, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the tibetan public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to practice Buddhism for either this Lama or the fake Chinese Lama, nor will they purchase any of Buddhism's holy books (Kangyur and Tengyur). This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Dalai Lama has alienated an entire market with this move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom