• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hob |OT| Hobnobbing with a Hobgoblin

Wozman23

j2wD1Df.png

TBHT9TJ.gif
kJKrsTc.gif
UAGUlDv.gif

Ij1pvDk.png

Release Date: September 26th, 2017
Platforms: PS4, PC
Price: $19.99 / £15.99 / €19,99, 10% off pre-orders, 20% off pre-orders with PlayStation Plus
Genre: Action, Adventure, Indie
Developer: Runic Games (Torchlight, Torchlight II)
Publisher: Runic Games

Bonuses:
Pre-orders through the PlayStation Store also get the Hob World Raise Dynamic Theme.
Pre-orders through Steam also get the full soundtrack.
Purchases through GOG prior to October 10th also get a free copy of Stories: The Path of Destinies.

Also Available: The Runic Games Collection (Hob, Torchlight, and Torchlight II) for $24.99 on Steam and GOG

ibxEf8E.png

Hob is a suspenseful adventure game set on a stunning and brutal world in disarray. Slowly uncover your role in saving the vibrant life around you while you explore stunning landscapes, solve puzzles, and transform the planet itself.

Wordless Narrative: Presented without text or dialogue, Hob's story is revealed as you explore the planet and interact with the strange lifeforms that inhabit it.

Transform The World by solving puzzles and repairing the planet. The landscape will change before your eyes, opening new areas to uncover and explore.

Grapple, Punch, and Warp through the world! Use your mechanical glove-arm abilities for traversal as well as combat.

Adventure in an open world, explore ruins, befriend sprites, and battle the rogue creatures that threaten their extinction.

MBLlV8U.png

dBpYp5n.png

Hob Official Website
Hob: Prelude (A digital comic introducing Hob's lore.)

Purchase at: PlayStation Store | Steam | GOG
Runic Games on: Twitter | Youtube | Discord
Facebook pages for: Hob | Runic Games
Soundtrack on: Youtube | Bandcamp ($9.99)
Reddit AMA

fIUoeZL.png

Review Thread

Metacritic: PS4 | PC
Opencritic

9/10 - "Hob is definitely larger than the sum of its parts, which come together almost perfectly to create a truly singular adventure. Hob may not have the AAA budget and polish of the franchises it draws inspiration from, but it has lots of heart and something to say, which is impressive for a game without a single spoken word." - PSX Extreme

8.5/10 - "Overall Hob is a fantastic game and just be on a play list for anyone who enjoys puzzle platformers and wouldn't mind some light RPG elements thrown in. The story is told organically and beautifully through gameplay and has some of the best sound design I've seen in a game." - MMORPG

8/10 - "Hob delivers meaningful, wondrous exploration in an alluring and enigmatic world, but the combat and technical issues hold it back" - Game Informer

8/10 - "With great level design and a satisfying mixture of puzzles and combat, Hob is one of the most beautiful adventures in a while. From humble beginnings, its scope will often take your breath away." - God is a Geek

8/10 - "Runic Games take you on a wondrous mysterious journey through fantastic environments making HOB well worth your time." - PC Invasion

7.8/10 - "Hob is a beautiful Zelda-like puzzler with fun combat elements that takes place on an enchanting world where nature and machinery alter the landscape as easily as a twist of a Rubik's cube. The wordless approach to the story creates some confusion and the fix camera sometimes results in unnecessary deaths, but never does the time spent with Hob feel wasted." - IGN

77/100 - "A gorgeous world eager to be explored with satisfying puzzles and fun, if occasionally clumsy, action." - PC Gamer

7/10 - "Hob is an enjoyable experience, providing hours of great puzzling and platforming fun – despite the game's face-value story and technical issues." - PlayStation Universe

Recommended - "Intricate and ingenious, Hob is a true spiritual successor to A Link to the Past." - Eurogamer

No Score - "Were Hob a tightly-scripted action adventure that guided the player from point to point and told them exactly what was expected of them, it wouldn't be nearly as magical an experience, and certainly not as personal." - Kotaku

No Score - "Hob is like a beautiful example of how to make a third-person action game. Like a filmmaker who has learned every detail of cinematography, direction, lighting and set dressing, but never thought to care about the script... It's fun to play, it's often extremely clever, but – well – it lacks at the same time too." - Rock, Paper, Shotgun

rrS5vLW.png

Length?
- "Playtesters are averaging 12-15 hours!"
- Some reviews say about 8 hours.

When does the game release?
- "Steam at 10am PDT but PS4 is at midnight eastern."

Will there be a physical disc release?
- "No plans yet!"

21:9 support?
- Yes.

Will there be a new game plus mode?
- "We've talked about new game plus, but we never had time to implement it in a meaningful way. We did expose difficulty modes and there are ways to drastically change play styles that will hopefully make people want to try playing it multiple times."

Are there any secrets or hidden areas that aren't part of the main story that also include lore and world building?
- "There are numerous out of the way secrets and rewards. Some for lore, some merely for feeling at home in the world."

Is their any possibility of a multiplayer update?
- "Hob is a single player game."

Have you considered releasing the game on the Switch too? (AKA the "I Appear In Every Thread" Question)
- "There are currently no plans to release on other platforms besides Windows PC and PS4 atm."

What can you say about replayability and overall length of the game? Also what about difficulty?
- "This is the question I was waiting for, because I want to beg you guys to check out the difficulty settings!
If you're experienced in games where you roll around and stab monsters, please consider bumping the difficulty up to hard. It doesn't reduce how much damage you do or increase how much damage you take, it just makes the monsters a bit more aggressive. They'll hesitate less, and you'll have to be quicker to take advantage of openings and get hits in. It's fun! If combat isn't your thing, bump it down to easy. Pick the experience that suits you. Play time depends on how much you want to explore. You could get to the end in a dozen hours, but finding everything will probably take a lot longer."
- "The default is medium, but you can change it at any time with no penalty."

Is the game set in an open, expanding world or individual and separate levels / maps? Or is it more like Zelda with a giant overworld and instanced dungeons?
- "Hob is set in an expanding world that opens up to it the more areas you "fix" and the more traversal options you unlock! There are dungeon levels, but sharp-eyed players will notice that they're connected to the overworld, and what you interact with in the dungeons will affect how the world above looks! There is also an in-game map to help you out."

Is Hob using the same engine as Torchlight 1 & 2? (AKA the 'I Hate Unity' Question)
- "Hob is indeed made on the same engine as TI & II. No Unity for us!"

I see that the plans are for a PC and PS4 release, but from a development perspective, what's the consensus around the office about the Nintendo Switch? (AKA the "See I Told You It Always Gets Asked, Sometimes Even Twice" Question)
- "There are currently no plans for release on any other platforms! The consensus about the Switch is that we have one in the office and we love playing it."

Could you elaborate on what sort of gamer would you recommend Hob to?
- "Do you like - Exploration? - Collecting items? - Upgrading your player? - Seamless worlds? - Puzzles? - Deep and atmospheric sound design? - Bright and colorful art? - Snappy combat? - Brain teasers? If yes, then Hob might be for you."

Wozman23

If anyone knows details on a review embargo, let me know. That's about the only thing I couldn't find.

Other than that, I'll flesh out the FAQ when other bits of information become available.

EDIT:

There's no embargo, so I'm just awaiting reviews. Review codes were slow to go out.

Updated the FAQ with a bunch of stuff from the Redit AMA and added a link to it in the Links section.

I'd originally seen the estimated length stated as 8 hours but the AMA states 12-15. You could probably fall anywhere between either estimate depending on how much you explore and collect.

Took advantage of the steam deal with Torchlight/TL2 and Hob for like $25. Hoping my laptop will even be able to run it though :/

BigBusiness

Neo Member
If anyone knows details on a review embargo, let me know. That's about the only thing I couldn't find.

I'm not sure about worldwide launch times, but it is set for a midnight unlock on NA PSN.

Other than that, I'll flesh out the FAQ when other bits of information become available.
I was told there's no embargo on streaming or content creation, which I assume includes reviews.

I'd expect to start seeing coverage today ahead of tomorrow's release!

Dascu

How 'Zelda-like' is it? Is it really focused on the puzzles or are there some more combat and boss fights and such as well?

Wozman23

I Pre-ordered it today, so how do I get the Soundtrack work?

Or does it download when the game downloads?

According to Runic's website:
And as a special treat, anyone who pre-orders Hob on Steam will get the full album delivered along with the game on Tuesday morning. It's like a visit from Santa, but without all that judgy naughty-or-nice crap!

We're also pleased to officially launch our Bandcamp page, where you can get full-length lossless FLAC or MP3 audio for both Torchlight 2 and Hob!

Granjinha

I'm still right at the beginning but i think i'm gonna love this

I'm not sure about worldwide launch times, but it is set for a midnight unlock on NA PSN.

There's no embargo. They began sending the review copies yesterday, i think.

HYDE

Banned
:) had the privelage to work on the dynamic theme. The visual style is very well suited, and the music is excellent. I’d like impressions from anyone that grabs it!

If it’s anything like your Metroid work, it’ll be fantastic!

sublimit

Banned
This will be one of the first games i'll get the next time i buy a 50€ playstation store card.Looks very interesting and i love the art style. Too bad there's no physical version though.

When are the reviews going to start kicking in? I would love to take advantage of the discount, but I definitely need some impressions/reviews first.

ced

Forgot about this.

Hope the reviews and impressions are good because I'm kind of waiting on that to buy it.

wouwie

Still no reviews it seems. I’ve been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced. Hopefully it will be good.

And thanks for doing an OT.

This game looks right down my alley!

Preordered for the discount, and looking very much forward to play it as soon as I finish off a few other games.

Kadin

Just saw this featured on Steam. Not sure how this slipped by but at $17.99 I'm in. Looks like it might be a pretty fun game.

Wozman23

Still no reviews it seems. I’ve been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced. Hopefully it will be good.

And thanks for doing an OT.

I was sold the instant I saw the World Raise trailer.

I really enjoy putting together OTs for indies so they can get at least some representation on GAF. I was glad someone grabbed Cuphead, otherwise I'd have had to do it too. Hopefully Ruiner doesn't fall through the cracks this week.

This, Rime, Yono, and Tunic: good times for Zelda-inspired indie games.

edit: I hadn't been aware of the blood earlier. Not a fan, as I don't think it fits the tone and art direction very well, but I suppose I can live with it.

hawk2025

Good review from ACG.

Whoohoo!

- 6-8 hours
- *may* have minor framerate issues at launch if it hasn’t been patched
- Puzzles and settings makes the game feel huge
- Controls are rock-solid
- Don’t expect tons of combat. It’s more of an exploration game.

Karak

Glowing review from ACG.

Whoohoo!

- 6-8 hours
- *may* have minor framerate issues at launch if it hasn't been patched
- Puzzles and settings makes the game feel huge
- Controls are rock-solid
- Don't expect tons of combat. It's more of an exploration game.

I wouldn't say glowing ;) But yes I am fairly positive with my experience.
That's mine by the way.
But I am also a fan of these kinds of games. Straight up and the FPS drops were well worth the exploration. And my god their use of vertical gameplay combined with that control is tremendous. Just fantastic

Also that patch that released a bit ago seems to have shored up most of the FPS issues. Which is good news

hawk2025

I wouldn't say glowing ;)
That's mine by the way.
But I am a fan of these kinds of games. Straight up and the FPS drops were well worth the exploration. And my god their use of vertical gameplay is tremendous. Just fantastic.

Sorry about that, it sounded glowing to me, but perhaps because nothing sounded off to me because I like exploration games a whole lot.

I changed to “good” above.

ced

That's mine by the way.
But I am also a fan of these kinds of games. Straight up and the FPS drops were well worth the exploration. And my god their use of vertical gameplay combined with that control is tremendous. Just fantastic

Sold.

RPG

Totally forgot I preordered this on PSN. Nice reminder over the weekend having it preload. Now hope to have a few hours to play through it before the bigger games in October launch.

Karak

Sorry about that, it sounded glowing to me, but perhaps because nothing sounded off to me because I like exploration games a whole lot.

I changed to ”good" above.

absolutely no reason to be sorry my friend. And it sounds like this is right up your alley man!

I heard from some reviewers that they weren't told the code wasn't final. So I expect some divergent reviews based on performance too. Little sad at that as they were clear with me and some others. Not so much a couple others I heard from:(

hawk2025

absolutely no reason to be sorry my friend. And it sounds like this is right up your alley man!

I heard from some reviewers that they weren't told the code wasn't final. So I expect some divergent reviews based on performance too. Little sad at that as they were clear with me and some others. Not so much a couple others I heard from:(

Great :)

By the way, a 1.06 patch just downloaded on the PS4 preload, claiming “stability improvements” — I’m guessing it is also framerate tweaks.

Karak

Great :)

By the way, a 1.06 patch just downloaded on the PS4 preload, claiming ”stability improvements" — I'm guessing it is also framerate tweaks.

correct. Thats what my first post with the note was about. With my testing it does indeed look like it too!
You are in for some fun!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That's mine by the way.

Also that patch that released a bit ago seems to have shored up most of the FPS issues. Which is good news

Oh good, so the framerate dips wasn't just my system.

Kadin

Patch 1.07 also launched, but I'm just getting errors when it tries to install.

Regardless, it's game time!
Not jealous at all. Having to wait until 10am PT tomorrow morning (Steam) makes me happy. I'm bored, didn't want to play right now anyways. ;)

Triz

I've been waiting for this since the first Playstation Experience. By far the best game I played on the floor.

anddo0

Bought this on Steam instead of PS4. I want to play this game on my laptop with headphones. I'm glad to hear its combat lite.

Sidenote: also purchased Ruiner; talk about contrast.

Maddrical

This actually looks fantastic. I've been in a huge funk with my gaming, haven't been motivated to play anything in months, but I'm pretty tempted to pick this up. If reviews/impressions are good, I think I'm in.

Pre-ordered yesterday after Karak review (It was a potential purchase, just needed confirmation), I'll start it tomorrow with more time to play. Been waiting quite a time for this game!

Wozman23

Enjoyed my first 2.5 hours with it, despite some technical issues.

I'm playing on the base PS4 and did have issues with the frame rate, mainly once I hit the second environment. The game crashed once as well, but after that it at least installed 1.07, but I didn't put much time in after that. I'll have to see if that helps the FPS tomorrow.

Controlling Hob has a little bit of jank to it, but nothing enough to seriously hinder the experience.

As far as the world, I'm really enjoying the way everything shifts around, like a giant machine. The atmosphere is phenomenal.

Combat hasn't been all that difficult, even on hard.

There seem to be a fair share of collectibles scattered about.

Can't wait to hop back in tomorrow!

melkier33

Really enjoying it so far. Only complaints so far are fps, with the latest patch and on pro I'm getting drops. Also really wish they didn't have a tip screen when transitioning some areas, for the type of game it is I would have preferred a black screen vs a 1.5 second tip screen. Really wish they fixed the fps it's not a killer for me but kinda knocks it down from being an amazing game for me.

wouwie

I really enjoy putting together OTs for indies so they can get at least some representation on GAF. I was glad someone grabbed Cuphead, otherwise I'd have had to do it too. Hopefully Ruiner doesn't fall through the cracks this week.

You're doing great work making these OT's for indies and smaller games. Quite a few seem to go unnoticed so it's always nice to see an OT and some discussion.

Since there are very few reviews out (got to check the ACG review tonight), for those who have played, what is the gameplay mostly about? Mostly puzzle solving, traversal and exploration or more combat focused? I might purchase it tonight.

sublimit

Banned
For those who are playing it does the world and setting have any lore behind them?And how does the game tell it's story (if it has one)?

Edit: Nevermind it's in the OP.

Top Bottom