• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hob |OT| Hobnobbing with a Hobgoblin

benzopil

No offense but i think people like you need to re-evaluate why they play games in the first place.
Just roll your eyes and move along, like I always do.

PS4 patch has been released while I was asleep. Looks like it'a performance patch. Game feels better so far.

Ex-Psych

This game is a joy to play overall, but there is some technical issues that I hope they fixed soon. Already one crash and that was within first hour of the game.

Guymelef

How do I access here?
ke4t0Ct.jpg

Man it is something magical when you push all the magic buttons and get all the magic things lined up and boom the entire world shifts all over into place like it's a giant puzzle.

It's a shame nearly every other part of the game is really not great.

- Combat is barebones and dull.

- The camera! The forced perspective makes platforming so much more difficult. In several instances I've been unsure where or which direction I'm even supposed to aim because of the weird perspective. Not to mention when the camera decides it should be behind a tree in the middle of combat.

- The lack of music is such a weird design choice. You have these magnificent vistas and all this cool stuff going on when the world is shifting and there's just ambient noise.

- Performance is terrible. Frequent stuttering and lockups anytime any kind of action is going on. I want to keep playing but at this point I wonder if I should just wait for a patch so my experience isn't totally soured. (I'm on PS4Pro)

PS calling this a successor to Link to the Past is just ridiculous.

That is damn sad. Tired of games being allowed to launch in this condition.

Mossybrew

I have zero complaints with the game so far. I absolutely love the overall vibe and presentation, it is super relaxing.

Granjinha

Man it is something magical when you push all the magic buttons and get all the magic things lined up and boom the entire world shifts all over into place like it's a giant puzzle.

It's a shame nearly every other part of the game is really not great.

- Combat is barebones and dull.

- The camera! The forced perspective makes platforming so much more difficult. In several instances I've been unsure where or which direction I'm even supposed to aim because of the weird perspective. Not to mention when the camera decides it should be behind a tree in the middle of combat.

- The lack of music is such a weird design choice. You have these magnificent vistas and all this cool stuff going on when the world is shifting and there's just ambient noise.

- Performance is terrible. Frequent stuttering and lockups anytime any kind of action is going on. I want to keep playing but at this point I wonder if I should just wait for a patch so my experience isn't totally soured. (I'm on PS4Pro)

PS calling this a successor to Link to the Past is just ridiculous.

Gonna have to disagree with most of this. The forced perspectives don't make plataforming difficult at all, exactly because they are so well thought out. They also help to make the secrets more thrilling to find. There's 0 problems when you have to jump on something or stuff like that (and i'm not even really good at games like this). Even when it goes behind a tree (which is quite rare) the tree becomes transparent, so i'm not really seeing the problem here?

And i think the lack of music actually punctuates more the moment the games actually uses them. Besides: It has great sound design which makes the mood really chilling and lovable (the birds singing, grass swawing, etc)

Im gonna agree on the combat being dull. It's really simple (with good controls, but simple) and doesn't really add anything to the game. I'm playing on PC so the performance after patchs is rarely bothering me.

Wozman23

Beat the game last night after a lengthy session. Spent a lot of extra time finding all the collectibles. Just have one sword piece to go - I finally found the dungeon it's in last night at about 3:30 but called it quits - and then a couple other secret locations.

Also there are two endings, with one being much more satisfying. After you beat the game, it just reverts you to the checkpoint before the ending, so you can still see the other ending or hunt for collectibles.

Someone on Discord said patch 1.10 fixes the frame rate issues. It was downloaded and failed on me late last night, so we'll see later.

EDIT: Performance does seem to be MUCH better.

How do I access here?

If I recall correctly,
there was a path somewhere back to the right that gets you there. I think it may be down a path you have to take coming towards the screen and jumping to some small rock platforms.

JonnyKong

I agree. I played well over 2 hours last night and I didn’t want to stop.

The general exploration aspect of it is a sheer pleasure, the way you're constantly manipulating the world by moving large platforms, walkways, ladders, and it's great seeing how various pieces of scenery come together. I'm in awe with the sense of scale of the environments, not to mention how enjoyable the classic gameplay trope of unlocking new abilities - use abilities to unlock new areas, is.

The checkpoint system is a bit of a bitch though, and yeah the combat system isn't all that great, but luckily combat encounters are few and far between.

The general exploration aspect of it is a sheer pleasure, the way you're constantly manipulating the world by moving large platforms, walkways, ladders, and it's great seeing how various pieces of scenery come together. I'm in awe with the sense of scale off the environments, not to mention how enjoyable the classic gameplay trope of unlocking new abilities - use abilities to unlock new areas, is.

The checkpoint system is a bit of a bitch though, and yeah the combat system isn't all that great, but luckily combat encounters are few and far between.

I completely agree with your impression.

I've only played for about 30 minutes or so but love the look and feel of the game so far, and happy to play a game with no hand-holding right from the get-go. Didn't know what to do right off the bat but figured it out soon enough. Looking forward to spending more quality time with this on the weekend.

I am surprised by how many patches have downloaded so far though. Release day was both the 1.6 and 1.7 patches, even though there was a problem downloading 1.7. And every time I've booted up the PS4 since there's been at least one new patch to download. What are we at now, 1.10?

And no direct PS4 Pro support is disappointing.

This is really great so far. I’m glad I picked it up. The sense of place and construction of the environment is wonderful, the movement feels very satisfying, and the exploration, the quite literal unlocking of the world, and the worldless narrative is very natural and compelling. The combat is decent enough; the enemies have nice designs and you can’t just hack away mindlessly, but it does have a tad too shallow combat-wise. But the exploration and atmosphere of the landscape is the star and main focus here, and those aspects shine in Hob

I am surprised by how many patches have downloaded so far though. Release day was both the 1.6 and 1.7 patches, even though there was a problem downloading 1.7. And every time I've booted up the PS4 since there's been at least one new patch to download. What are we at now, 1.10?

And no direct PS4 Pro support is disappointing.

Yeah, we are patch 1.10 now. I have downloaded 3 patches so far.

This is really great so far. I’m glad I picked it up. The sense of place and construction of the environment is wonderful, the movement feels very satisfying, and the exploration, the quite literal unlocking of the world, and the worldless narrative is very natural and compelling. The combat is decent enough; the enemies have nice designs and you can’t just hack away mindlessly, but it does have a tad too shallow combat-wise. But the exploration and atmosphere of the landscape is the star and main focus here, and those aspects shine in Hob

And the sound design is so good. I’m getting a good use out of my platinum headset in this game.

Adryuu

PS4 just downloaded patch 1.10.

Patch notes:
Stability improvements
Improved performance/reduced hitching

So, how is it? Very playable on base ps4?
I just started Yakuza 0 as my birthday self-gift, but I still want to play this sooner rather than later.

Is anyone playing on a really old pc? Old like a E8400 and a 7770, lol.

Humdinger

I've played a little over an hour, probably. I'm enjoying it.

The game has a very nice vibe. It's relaxing. The world is very pleasant to look at. You explore at your own pace. The audio is quiet, subtle, and understated. I'm a quiet, introverted person, so I appreciate that (vs. the bombastic soundtracks you get on other games). I haven't used headphones yet, but I'll bet they make it more immersive.

With the mentions of Dark Souls, I expected combat to kick my behind, but it hasn't. It's been very manageable. Of course, I'm early on, so that may change.

Some reviews made it sound very puzzle-focused, but I'm not finding it to be that way. To me, it feels more like an environmental exploration and route-finding game. There are some environmental puzzles, but most of the time, you are just finding your way through the environments, exploring, finding upgrades, seeing what areas those upgrades open, etc.

I'm confused about some things, like what the different objects do. There is no tutorial or even words to help you out. I'm sure I'll figure it out in time.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying it so far. Quality piece of work.

Could use a little help. I have the glove and the ability to break walls, the robot guy is crouched down near a cliff. What am I supposed to do from here? I already went around and found all the collectibles/upgrades in the starting area

Lijik

Could use a little help. I have the glove and the ability to break walls, the robot guy is crouched down near a cliff. What am I supposed to do from here? I already went around and found all the collectibles/upgrades in the starting area

if you're where i think you are head in the general direction of this area of the map, its a new area you can access that will eventually power up a device and lead you back to the robot.

if you're where i think you are head in the general direction of this area of the map, its a new area you can access that will eventually power up a device and lead you back to the robot.
Yeah, that is the area I should go to, the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a clear way to get there.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just a first impression after about an hour or so.

• Platforming is not so great. What i mean by that is that you can't control the camera and even though the camera itself is not bad and actually good cuz it don't stand in your way or blocking your view during combat or exploration, but sometimes you can't perfectly nail your jumps just because camera's angle is not great and you can't fix it. Overall, platforming is a liiiiiitle bit anoying sometimes which does not hurt overall experience so that's good.
  • The game is very well optimized for 1440p, perfectly stable 60 FPS at all times on Ultra without gore. Unfortunately 4K 60 is not a option for 1070 on Ultra and it is a bit disappointing cuz let's face it, the game is really not a technical powerhouse even though it looks really good for what it is. It think it all comes down to optimization and the game simply not optimized for 4K 60 on Ultra. :(
  • The lack of music sometimes hurts the atmosphere in my opinion. It's not that there is not much background music in the game, it's just there's not enough of it in certain areas in which there's no music at all. RIME is much better at this and it doesn't hurt the game in any way so there's that.
  • I really like the concept of the world being a giant puzzle with which you can interact and alter it to get to new areas etc. Really cool and well-realized idea. I like the art style as well, even though it's a bit blury with a watercolor effect and you can't make the textures look a bit sharper.
Overall, i'm very happy with the game and glad i bought it. Don't have much time to play it though during work days and it makes me sad :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Game sounds interesting, but man, what happened to Runic's art team? This game looks hideous to me.

I really liked the look they achieved with the two Torchlight games, but honestly the art style in this one is making me hesitate on picking it up.

Kadin

Game sounds interesting, but man, what happened to Runic's art team? This game looks hideous to me.

I really liked the look they achieved with the two Torchlight games, but honestly the art style in this one is making me hesitate on picking it up.
I wasn't too impressed watching videos of the game. Having played it a bit though, I like it more than I thought it would. I'm not saying it's vastly different but it does come across nicer, to me, in the actual game.

Triz

I think the art is more than adequate. Especially with some of the wildlife and environments.

So, how is it? Very playable on base ps4?
I just started Yakuza 0 as my birthday self-gift, but I still want to play this sooner rather than later.

Is anyone playing on a really old pc? Old like a E8400 and a 7770, lol.

I don't know about the base model, I'm playing it on the PS4 Pro (boost mode) and it runs fine. The latest patch has reduced some of the hitching.

I would suggest you play Hob before sinking into Yakuza 0.

Cyanity

Banned
Any word on PC performance? This game looks so promising, but there are people in here complaining about stuttering and it's making me worried.

Triz

I have no "go here" marker on the map any longer, and I'm quite lost. Don't know if thats intentional or a glitch. Right now Im just trying to make my way to places I haven't visited yet.

Adryuu

I don't know about the base model, I'm playing it on the PS4 Pro (boost mode) and it runs fine. The latest patch has reduced some of the hitching.

I would suggest you play Hob before sinking into Yakuza 0.

Oops, bit late for that. I'm knee deep into Yakuza and still haven't met Majima.

Also I don't have a pro and if that's using boost mode it could be quite different on base model.

I'll get to this some time in the future anyway, keep the comments coming. This thread is a bit silent and the game probably deserves more exposure and mouth work.

is there a way to flunk out of Remix 10? I had a really bad run where I died on four stages and it still kept going

Wrong thread.

Oops, bit late for that. I'm knee deep into Yakuza and still haven't met Majima.

Also I don't have a pro and if that's using boost mode it could be quite different on base model.

I'll get to this some time in the future anyway, keep the comments coming. This thread is a bit silent and the game probably deserves more exposure and mouth work.

Yeah, it might not run as good as it does on the Pro. Do buy it, it's a great little game.

Oneself

The latest patch definitely improved performance on PS4, the framerate is more stable.

So, after the obvious comparisons to Zelda ALTTP, HLD and Rime; This game has some Brave Fencer Musashi & Klonoa vibes too.

Booted this up again tonight for a short spell. Yet another patch started downloading at the start, 1.12, which failed to download. Don't think I've ever seen a game get this many patches so quickly, and with problems downloading them too.

Patches are a good thing, but that's just... weird.

Patch notes for version 1.12

Stability improvements
Butterfly collection should increment properly
Added a ladder in
electric zone
for easier traversal
Adjusted deathfall sound volume
Improved camera angles during certain puzzles
Updated vista map markers

Buy it, it's worth it.

I second this.

Pleasantly surprised at how fun this game continues to be a few hours in. I don't have a ton of time to play in the evenings, but that "let's discover just one more thing" feeling has certainly taken hold a few times. It's hard to put down. You can tell this was something that was really lovingly crafted by Runic.

aristotle

Ok I'm stuck. Perhaps someone here can help me.

Mid/late game item spoilers:

In the South East part of the map below the Titan, and just to the South West of him, is a long ladder going down. After a few jumps, you find a few grapple points and a grapple point that moves up and down. How do I get past that? Is it timing, do I need a certain item, or what? I died like 20 times before I gave up the other night and I just wonder how to do it.

Thanks if anyone can shed some light on that. :)

Triz

Ok I'm stuck. Perhaps someone here can help me.

Mid/late game item spoilers:

In the South East part of the map below the Titan, and just to the South West of him, is a long ladder going down. After a few jumps, you find a few grapple points and a grapple point that moves up and down. How do I get past that? Is it timing, do I need a certain item, or what? I died like 20 times before I gave up the other night and I just wonder how to do it.

Thanks if anyone can shed some light on that. :)

I need answers for this too.
Every time on the moving one I could not jump to the right...

aristotle

I need answers for this too.
Every time on the moving one I could not jump to the right...

That's exactly my issue.
I think maybe I need to do the dash thing at the right time, but I'm not sure. I haven't tried that yet for some reason.

Didn't find substantial time to play this week so I saved it for tomorrow, I can't wait! it looks fantastic (played like... 15 minutes).

tonypark

Just finished. Nice game. Runs like shit on ps4 pro. It even crashed after the credit! Hope i didnt miss a trophy. Enjoyed it but the frame dips really hurt the experience. Oh well...

Top Bottom