• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

MP!

Another month...yet another patch...and STILL NO FIX for the PS5 Collections Trophy bug. Been stuck on 139 of 140 chests for over three months! I am 100% complete but Avalanche refuses to give me the damn platinum. Thanks guys! Pathetic.
They issued a fix for this ... if you load your save it should trigger the trophy updating... UNLESS
It was an issue of the collectibles themselves... then there wasn't a retroactive fix for those... save data issues are extremely difficult to fix.

They issued a fix for this ... if you load your save it should trigger the trophy updating... UNLESS
It was an issue of the collectibles themselves... then there wasn't a retroactive fix for those... save data issues are extremely difficult to fix.
I'm not following. What do you mean by "...an issue of the collectibles themselves.."? According to the trophy tracker's PS5 game hints, it is incorrectly telling me I need to solve the moth flame puzzle with the urn by the sphinx. I collected that ages ago and successfully received the reward. In reality, it took me some time to figure out, but the conjuration item still not showing up in my collection is the vivarium chest item, LARGE RUGS. However, I have collected all 12 possible vivarium chest items. In fact, I have completely 100 percent-ed the game and have all of the other trophies. I am simply stuck on 139 out of 140 collection chests, and there seems to be no way around it. The game's trophy counter is fubar. As a last resort and to make sure I did not overlook something, I downloaded a spreadsheet with all of the possible exploration collection items and backtracked through each one. Every single chest item has been collected by me. Since Avalanche seems to be unable to fix this game-breaking bug, why not just change the counter threshold to 139 or 138? That way, PS5 players who have earned the platinum can get their trophy and move on from this game.

MP!

I'm not following. What do you mean by "...an issue of the collectibles themselves.."? According to the trophy tracker's PS5 game hints, it is incorrectly telling me I need to solve the moth flame puzzle with the urn by the sphinx. I collected that ages ago and successfully received the reward. In reality, it took me some time to figure out, but the conjuration item still not showing up in my collection is the vivarium chest item, LARGE RUGS. However, I have collected all 12 possible vivarium chest items. In fact, I have completely 100 percent-ed the game and have all of the other trophies. I am simply stuck on 139 out of 140 collection chests, and there seems to be no way around it. The game's trophy counter is fubar. As a last resort and to make sure I did not overlook something, I downloaded a spreadsheet with all of the possible exploration collection items and backtracked through each one. Every single chest item has been collected by me. Since Avalanche seems to be unable to fix this game-breaking bug, why not just change the counter threshold to 139 or 138? That way, PS5 players who have earned the platinum can get their trophy and move on from this game.
Have you reported this on the bug reporting? It may help out having more info on th ebug

Have you reported this on the bug reporting? It may help out having more info on th ebug
Yes, I commented about it three different times in the PS5 Collections Trophy Tracker thread. There is still no formal response from Avalanche except to say "...Investigation In Progress." It's been that way since 2/10/23, when it was first reported. It has 1971 up votes. There is another thread entitled 139/140 Conjuration Collectibles that has been up voted 4519 times since it was first reported on 2/14/23. It, too, still shows the same status "...Investigation In Progress." This is not some random little bug that only affects a handful of gamers. There are over 1,000 comments about this specific issue in these two threads alone, and as far as I can tell, Avalanche has never included anything about a bug fix for it in the patch notes for the three patches they have issued since February.

The recent patch fixed the texture streaming issue for me on PC. The game pretty much runs flawlessly now.

It's sad that 3 months after release I can finally finish the game - technical issues pretty much ruined the experience for me. Now I'm trying to rush through the rest of the game so I can move on to Zelda. It's my fault for buying Day 1 but as a fan of the franchise I couldn't resist. Live and learn.
Interesting, is this everyone else's experience as well?

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Damn I had forgotten this brilliant OT title 😹

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

TheUsual

Gold Member
Man, I had the weirdest bug tonight.
When I launched the game, it was like a youtube or radio ad came on in the background that started during the shader compilation that kept going and only stopped once I quit the game.
I tried other games and no issue with them.

I ran a virus scan...nothing.
I verified the integrity...no issues.
I deleted and redownloaded the game...still the same issue.

I put Steam into offline mode (but still connected to the internet)...still the same issue.
I disconnected my pc from the internet and started the game...the issue went away.

I then connected the internet again to my pc, online mode in Steam, and launched the game...the issue went away.

Weird glitch by the game doing who the hell knows what when launching or something else bizarre going on. No luck Google searching this and searching on their support page.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Man, I had the weirdest bug tonight.
When I launched the game, it was like a youtube or radio ad came on in the background that started during the shader compilation that kept going and only stopped once I quit the game.
I tried other games and no issue with them.

I ran a virus scan...nothing.
I verified the integrity...no issues.
I deleted and redownloaded the game...still the same issue.

I put Steam into offline mode (but still connected to the internet)...still the same issue.
I disconnected my pc from the internet and started the game...the issue went away.

I then connected the internet again to my pc, online mode in Steam, and launched the game...the issue went away.

Weird glitch by the game doing who the hell knows what when launching or something else bizarre going on. No luck Google searching this and searching on their support page.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Well if it isn't the Auditory Hallucinations getting to me, I think I figured it out.
It was Steam Overlay. For me, it was loading up the last website I was on automatically. The ads were auto playing. Guess cutting the internet connection killed Steam Overlay there.

So I'm not losing it...yet.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Well if it isn't the Auditory Hallucinations getting to me, I think I figured it out.
It was Steam Overlay. For me, it was loading up the last website I was on automatically. The ads were auto playing. Guess cutting the internet connection killed Steam Overlay there.

So I'm not losing it...yet.
Haha, I was just messing around. That exact same thing has happened to me, now that you mention it. Freaked me out because of course, the video was twice as loud as my game audio.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Haha, I was just messing around. That exact same thing has happened to me, now that you mention it. Freaked me out because of course, the video was twice as loud as my game audio.
Took your response in good faith as a joke! First experience I've had with the overlay doing that to me. At least I have an idea of what to immediately next time.

sncvsrtoip

Polished game with much content but finished only because I paid full price. If you are not fan of universum dont recomand as its little snoozefest. Kudos for 40fps mode.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As the year continues, I am starting to feel this game is underrated and/or under shadow of games that came after and might steal goty from it which would be a shame. It should win something,
I loved it so much. It is very relaxing, chill game. And it's something completely new, kinda out of nowhere.
The most unique about this game is exactly that it doesn't take itself too seriously. It doesn't try to be hardcore and bone breaking hard.
it almost feels bold of the developers to make an "easy game" while every game nowadays gets criticized for being too easy... and people tell that about Elden Ring. wtf.
You can get into most mechanics and be rewarded but you don't have to. You can craft but you don't have to.
People were angry than you have to wait for plants to grow in room of requirement? I never noticed it as an issue. I just planted stuff when I was there :p

It's really weird this game won me over because I couldn't care less about Harry Potter but I wanted to feel excited for something since last year was so dry games-wise and so I've watched all the movies few days before release since I decided to go out of my comfort zone and try this big game.
And it was a great choice! The movies are fantastic. I've not seen them all back then but they capture that late 2000-2010 feel in some way. And you get to see Emma Watson get hot.
And the game does incredible job. The castle is amazing, music is amazing, spells are very fun and graphics blow your socks off. And the atmosphere is incredible even outside the castle.
The combat is very good and allows for some great combos.
I like the gear too. You can dress up like a real idiot lol.

The only problem that comes to mind is very forgettable main end boss. He is not exactly bad o anything. The idea is good but he is not fleshed out. Just a fkn goblin.
The trials of ancient magic and paintings are all good. This was good idea... only to fight goblin at the end.
The inventory is a bit bad. But it's not that big of a deal.
And yeah, there are a tons of stuff to do in open world but it's not mandatory. Even side quests are not needed. You will not be under leveled.
Side Quests are good though.
And not a lot of bugs.

lol Ima totally getting this next month :p I am 34yo god damnit I can like HP if I want :p

Shots:
bB8BmjH.jpg

oMGTziO.jpg

4YuPa7N.jpg

lvlvdi6.jpg

The fact that it is still impossible for me to get the Platinum Award for 100% completion on the PS5 version after I have done every single thing in the game, definitely sours me on ever going back to this game. It's SEVEN months later and Avalanche refuses to fix the game breaking bug caused by their faulty inventory counter system.

chris121580

I finished the story yesterday and loved absolutely every minute of this game. I'm looking forward to going back and finishing things up. This is such a terrific love letter to the Harry Potter series. It's going to be a crime if this isn't in the game of the year nominations

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I finished the story yesterday and loved absolutely every minute of this game. I'm looking forward to going back and finishing things up. This is such a terrific love letter to the Harry Potter series. It's going to be a crime if this isn't in the game of the year nominations

Oh itll be nominated. And itll be hilarious watching people awkwardly avoid celebrating when it wins.

Agree with rofif rofif on everything he said. It sucks that this released so early in a year full of nonstop bangers, but it shouldnt be forgotten. It really is the best natural looking world out there next to RDR2 and Witcher 3. Ill wrap it up before the year is out for sure as I only have a few more missions to go but Im really enjoying drawing out the playtime and coming back to it, being blown away all over again.

chris121580

A lot of games could take a lesson from the side quests in this game as well. Most are incredibly fleshed out. The sheer size of the game is incredible. I enjoyed my time with this game every bit as much as I did with The Witcher 3

I'm not really a fan of Harry Potter but this game looks so fun especially the exploration and combat.

I have a Switch and I understand a Switch version is coming out later this year. I have serious doubt it's going to be able to handle a game like this. It's going to be very stripped down and I'm guessing only a small amount of the game is going to be on the cart and you'll have to download a huge file online for the full game.

I really don't know how they're going to pull it off.

Can anyone comment on the state of the graphical modes today after any patches? Does the PS5 or Series X version perform better? Also, which graphical mode do you recommend?

ahtlas7

This is still my GOTY. The first few hours of this game are the best first few hours of any game ever as far as I'm concerned
Same. Went straight to the top of my GOTY list and has remained. I can jump in for a few minutes or couple hours and the game entertains. Never been a Potter fan but this game is amazing.

How is this game for someone that never ready any books on Harry Potter or followed the lore? The game is on sale and I was contemplating to get it. I love heavy story driven games but at the same time Im wondering will that world engulf me as much as it doeas a HP fan?

lmimmfn

How is this game for someone that never ready any books on Harry Potter or followed the lore? The game is on sale and I was contemplating to get it. I love heavy story driven games but at the same time Im wondering will that world engulf me as much as it doeas a HP fan?
The game is excellent regardless of the setting. I'm not a HP fan, I watched the movies(reluctantly the latter ones also).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It's not very dependent on the main HP lore, as it has its own self-contained story. Being a HP fan from the start primarily means that you'll immediately understand a lot of the references to places/animals/objects from HP. If I imagine myself playing this game without knowing anything about HP, I think I'd still enjoy it as a decent open world RPG with a decently fun combat system and a lot of things to do. I played for about 80+ hours. Good main story with ample side quests, but not much flexibility in the way of game-altering choices.

ElRenoRaven

Honestly not bad at all. I back in the days couldn't get into Harry Potter. I'd tried the movies etc and just couldn't do it. So I went in pretty much not knowing shit. The game actually made me want to go back and give them another chance. Sure enough the game actually made me enjoy the movies more so it actually made me a fan of the franchise thanks to the game.

It really walks you though things in the beginning etc and guides you along the way. I'd honestly say give it a chance.

Kenpachii

Playing the game atm and i must say, god dam the game visuals are amazing, the gameplay is really good. Love how u can just fly everywhere. The combat is great. Almost feels like this is the next version of assassin creed games.

I can't get over the fact how smooth this game really is, specially with that mod that removes all jank out of the game.

Currently explored the whole map, but still gotta get new skills. The inventory space get my ocd triggered so upgraded that to the max first.

Having a blast atm.

Roberts

Honestly not bad at all. I back in the days couldn't get into Harry Potter. I'd tried the movies etc and just couldn't do it. So I went in pretty much not knowing shit. The game actually made me want to go back and give them another chance. Sure enough the game actually made me enjoy the movies more so it actually made me a fan of the franchise thanks to the game.

It really walks you though things in the beginning etc and guides you along the way. I'd honestly say give it a chance.
This is reassuring. I have seen all the films, because I used to watch pretty much everything back in the day and some of the entries were kind of OK, but I have no real interest in its world or lore. That's the reason why I haven't bought the game yet, but let's see.

schuey7

As someone starting the game on series X which mode would be recommended between fidelity and fidelity rt. I'm asking because the patches since launch may have changed the performance from what was seen in the DF performance review.

Freeman76

As someone starting the game on series X which mode would be recommended between fidelity and fidelity rt. I'm asking because the patches since launch may have changed the performance from what was seen in the DF performance review.
I played it on fidelity RT, runs at 40fps seems smooth enough.

Just replaying it as a different house. This is the first time in years my GOTY hasnt changed every few weeks when a new gem drops, nothing has toppes this game for me, an incredible journey from start to finish and one of the most cosy and magical games I've ever played.

JohnnyPhats

Just replaying it as a different house. This is the first time in years my GOTY hasnt changed every few weeks when a new gem drops, nothing has toppes this game for me, an incredible journey from start to finish and one of the most cosy and magical games I've ever played.
Great word for it. Cozy. I got it day one on ps5. Dropped it after about 24 hours. Have been planning to go back to it week of thanksgiving. I take that week off, my wife will have Christmas stuff up by then and it will be a cozy world to sink off in to.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I think it's my goty too. 40fps mode is also perfection.

Freeman76

Great word for it. Cozy. I got it day one on ps5. Dropped it after about 24 hours. Have been planning to go back to it week of thanksgiving. I take that week off, my wife will have Christmas stuff up by then and it will be a cozy world to sink off in to.
Me and my wife played through this at the same time. With the log burner going, felt perfect. This time of year is the perfect time for Hogwarts.

In the day of DLC and season passes, the one game I wish had all that was a one and done, feels tragic in a way 🤣

JohnnyPhats

Me and my wife played through this at the same time. With the log burner going, felt perfect. This time of year is the perfect time for Hogwarts.

In the day of DLC and season passes, the one game I wish had all that was a one and done, feels tragic in a way 🤣
Right? Lol no kidding

schuey7

I'm currently playing in fidelity rt. Haven't seen any issues yet so I'm going to stick with it unless major framedrops happen later.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm currently playing in fidelity rt. Haven't seen any issues yet so I'm going to stick with it unless major framedrops happen later.
nah man. Switch to balance 40fps.
RT does almost nothing in this game and fidelity/balance mode just looks better

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Ive never read the books, only ever saw the first movie when it came out 20+ years ago and its on my top 5 of the year. I put the atmosphere and just the overall natural landscape design right up there with stuff like RDR2 and Witcher 3. Its a phenomenal achievement.

So, Hogwarts Legacy has leaked to the Internet before it's official release date on Switch. I want to be extremely clear that I own a legal PC version copy of this game and I have cleared it twice on PC, as a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin. But I was seriously curious how exactly the fuck this game could possibly run on Switch, considering how heavy a game it was on PC/PS5/XSeX and also PS4/XBone. So as a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin, I had no choice but to check it out.

I'll start by answering your burning question. Yes, it runs on Switch. My mind was blown that not only does it run, but it has a target 30 fps and manages to maintain 20-30 fps when running around Hogwarts itself. The game actually does work, and the castle itself seems intact though with the same modifications made to the PS4/XBone versions to reduce loading over the current and PC versions. Detail level is obviously heavily reduced, especially in textures and models. I'm going to be honest here, sometimes the textures look like an N64 game. Lighting is dramatically simplified, to the point where it looks quite flat in the environments. It's a bit wild going from playing with full RT on the PC version to whatever this is. Basically only your character casts a shadow and I'm impressed the Switch can even handle that.

I tested quitting to the main menu and reloading into Hogwarts, and load times are not bad for Switch. They get you from main menu back into Hogwarts in about 30 seconds. The infamous brief loads when opening doors that lead to new zones inside the castle are also not bad, you spend maybe 5 seconds of watching the spinny loading indicator and the door pops open and you can go to the next zone. Considering the Switch version is the only version that must load from an SD card, this is actually a more technically impressive accomplishment than you might think.

Speaking of characters, crowd NPC density is also heavily reduced in the castle, though naturally quest givers always appear. During the character close-ups when you are having a conversation, everyone doesn't look very good at all with the low resolution, the lack of any lighting, and the reduced texture and model detail. I will at least give credit to Avalanche for making them look better than the character close-ups in Mortal Kombat 1 on Switch. I'm not saying a lot here.

What I really want to talk about is the resolution. You might recall the other consoles have Performance and Quality modes, with the current gen versions also having optional RT modes. There are no modes to choose from in the Switch version, and in fact no graphics settings of any kind besides adjusting brightness level and turning Depth of Field On/Off. It uses dynamic resolution scaling and I think it targets 720p when docked, but holy fucking shit. It has to be at like 480p or 540p or something inside Hogwarts. The resolution is fucking hilarious. To be completely fair to it, the Switch has at best maybe half the average hardware power of the PS4 and that's with a stiff tailwind. So seeing it run at all, and actually reasonably smoothly, is itself a miracle in itself. But I'm not going to lie when I say this is far from the best way to experience HL. If you have anything better than a Switch, you would do well to play it on instead.

If you're buying HL for your 8 years old niece who only has a Switch, maybe she'll be thrilled with it. I would imagine most gamers will be impressed by the technical achievement of getting it to run, but will also immediately notice the vast compromises made to get it to run. Yes, it actually runs and better than anyone could have expected on Switch. But at some point you really need to think if it's really a good idea to play it this way. Unless you are absolutely hellbent on playing this game handheld and aren't willing to pay for a Steam Deck, this is seriously a bad way to play a game as detailed and visually stunning as HL.

I named my Gryffindor "Nintendo Witch". You're welcome for the name idea. And no, I cannot speak about how it runs in the open world, as I have no intention of spending that much time with the Switch version just to unlock running around in the open world. If I actually desired a 3rd playthrough of HL, I'll go back to my PC version.

Last edited:

Deerock71

So, Hogwarts Legacy has leaked to the Internet before it's official release date on Switch. I want to be extremely clear that I own a legal PC version copy of this game and I have cleared it twice on PC, as a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin. But I was seriously curious how exactly the fuck this game could possibly run on Switch, considering how heavy a game it was on PC/PS5/XSeX and also PS4/XBone. So as a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin, I had no choice but to check it out.

I'll start by answering your burning question. Yes, it runs on Switch. My mind was blown that not only does it run, but it has a target 30 fps and manages to maintain 20-30 fps when running around Hogwarts itself. The game actually does work, and the castle itself seems intact though with the same modifications made to the PS4/XBone versions to reduce loading over the current and PC versions. Detail level is obviously heavily reduced, especially in textures and models. I'm going to be honest here, sometimes the textures look like an N64 game. Lighting is dramatically simplified, to the point where it looks quite flat in the environments. It's a bit wild going from playing with full RT on the PC version to whatever this is. Basically only your character casts a shadow and I'm impressed the Switch can even handle that.

I tested quitting to the main menu and reloading into Hogwarts, and load times are not bad for Switch. They get you from main menu back into Hogwarts in about 30 seconds. The infamous brief loads when opening doors that lead to new zones inside the castle are also not bad, you spend maybe 5 seconds of watching the spinny loading indicator and the door pops open and you can go to the next zone. Considering the Switch version is the only version that must load from an SD card, this is actually a more technically impressive accomplishment than you might think.

Speaking of characters, crowd NPC density is also heavily reduced in the castle, though naturally quest givers always appear. During the character close-ups when you are having a conversation, everyone doesn't look very good at all with the low resolution, the lack of any lighting, and the reduced texture and model detail. I will at least give credit to Avalanche for making them look better than the character close-ups in Mortal Kombat 1 on Switch. I'm not saying a lot here.

What I really want to talk about is the resolution. You might recall the other consoles have Performance and Quality modes, with the current gen versions also having optional RT modes. There are no modes to choose from in the Switch version, and in fact no graphics settings of any kind besides adjusting brightness level and turning Depth of Field On/Off. It uses dynamic resolution scaling and I think it targets 720p when docked, but holy fucking shit. It has to be at like 480p or 540p or something inside Hogwarts. The resolution is fucking hilarious. To be completely fair to it, the Switch has at best maybe half the average hardware power of the PS4 and that's with a stiff tailwind. So seeing it run at all, and actually reasonably smoothly, is itself a miracle in itself. But I'm not going to lie when I say this is far from the best way to experience HL. If you have anything better than a Switch, you would do well to play it on instead.

If you're buying HL for your 8 years old niece who only has a Switch, maybe she'll be thrilled with it. I would imagine most gamers will be impressed by the technical achievement of getting it to run, but will also immediately notice the vast compromises made to get it to run. Yes, it actually runs and better than anyone could have expected on Switch. But at some point you really need to think if it's really a good idea to play it this way. Unless you are absolutely hellbent on playing this game handheld and aren't willing to pay for a Steam Deck, this is seriously a bad way to play a game as detailed and visually stunning as HL.

I named my Gryffindor "Nintendo Witch". You're welcome for the name idea. And no, I cannot speak about how it runs in the open world, as I have no intention of spending that much time with the Switch version just to unlock running around in the open world. If I actually desired a 3rd playthrough of HL, I'll go back to my PC version.
Another million or two in sales before Christmas, sounds like.

I just got this game for my 10 and 12 year old daughters for Christmas as my oldest is the biggest Harry Potter fan ever. They don't have much in the way of gaming experience outside of Minecraft and some of the Lego games. Does anyone have some good tips on setup, play, or character design for young gamers? Or does it not really matter?

This OT is awesome, and I'll slowly work my way through it to see what I can find, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has some advice.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I just got this game for my 10 and 12 year old daughters for Christmas as my oldest is the biggest Harry Potter fan ever. They don't have much in the way of gaming experience outside of Minecraft and some of the Lego games. Does anyone have some good tips on setup, play, or character design for young gamers? Or does it not really matter?

This OT is awesome, and I'll slowly work my way through it to see what I can find, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has some advice.

Story mode difficulty and call it a day.

Top Bottom