• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday blues (Boredom)

Ansphn

Any of you been through this B.S? Wife and her siblings make a certain destination a yearly tradition meet up spot for her family and you have to go to support wife or it could be just a yearly family reunion. Sitting here bored out of my fucking mind because the destination is a freaking chicken farm. Not ocean, Not fun hot spot ..A freaking farm with absolutely nothing to do nor can we go anywhere because the town has like 100 people and the biggest city is 2 hours away. I can't even play Final Fantasy 16. Just sitting here eating and looking at each other's faces for the next 5 fucking days.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
KP8izQz.gif

Kacho

Since you're in bumfuck nowhere, are there no guns or ATVs? What is your wife and her siblings doing for entertainment? I'd just drink beer and chill.

Last edited:

Ansphn

You have laptop or Switch?

No other hobbies other than gaming?
I have my phone and nope I don't have a switch. For the past few days, all I been doing is trolling on Twitter and reading Manga's but it's the holidays and normally this time of year, I'm hiking a national park, I'm on a beach, I'm visiting a hot spot. So my mindset is on vacation mode this time of the year and that maximum my boredom due to my expectations from past years.

Ansphn

Since you're in bumfuck nowhere, are there no guns or ATVs? What is your wife and her siblings doing for entertainment? I'd just drink beer and chill.
Basically, for the past few Days, we either go to the farm to work and help on or just sit in our rooms until 7pm. Then it's drinking time and Karaoke. There only so much of the same shit someone can do during "Vacation time". For some damn reason, no one wants to do anything during the day but stay in their rooms because they don't want to drive 2.5 hours to Memphis, Tennessee.

Last edited:

Ansphn

So they don't have a television on the farm? Do they not have electricity? How are you posting this?
I have my phone and they do have electricity but nobody wants to do shit cause a big city is 2.5 hours away. Bowling cancelled cause too far. Also I'm dealing with people who don't really want to do anything. No hiking, no checking out the town...Just want to sit around in their own rooms until 7pm. It's hell right now.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Yes I got some sex a couple days ago but I have kids so my wife is busy with them. I can't really fuck all day like at home or when on Vacation. We are staying in house with a couple families so it's hard to really enjoy sex.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Sounds pretty cool to me, actually.
Do you live in a small town and do nothing every day? Maybe you're already used to this type of lifestyle. This is usually vacation time for me and for the past 2 year July 4th holiday, I'm in small town Tennessee just sitting in my room. And they want to do this "every" fucking year.

Last edited:
Yes I got some sex a couple days ago but I have kids so my wife is busy with them. I can't really fuck all day like at home or when on Vacation. We are stay in house with a couple families so it's hard to really enjoy sex.

All I'm saying is it doesn't sound like the other families have that hang up.

Ansphn

All I'm saying is it doesn't sound like the other families have that hang up.
I don't know how they do it. I can't. How can people sit in their rooms (with kids so you can't just have sex) until 7pm for 5 straight days when this time of year is vacation time. Freaking Beaches, national parks or just do something social like bowling, playing sports, etc.

SJRB

Gold Member
Bring booze, or go to the local store and buy booze.

Family getaways get so much better when you start drinking at 11 in the morning.

killatopak

I have my phone and nope I don't have a switch. For the past few days, all I been doing is trolling on Twitter and reading Manga's but it's the holidays and normally this time of year, I'm hiking a national park, I'm on a beach, I'm visiting a hot spot. So my mindset is on vacation mode this time of the year and that maximum my boredom due to my expectations from past years.
Maybe you can organize some games that involves actually moving your body with the whole family. Maybe gambling. Card games.

I think the problem is none of you want to leave your rooms. Get some activity to do outside the house.

xz20CDp.gif

Ansphn

Maybe you can organize some games that involves actually moving your body with the whole family. Maybe gambling. Card games.

I think the problem is none of you want to leave your rooms. Get some activity to do outside the house.

xz20CDp.gif
Me and my wife did and have been trying to do since Day 1. We tried bowling = too far, we tried hiking = too hot. The problem is during the day, they don't want to do shit from wakeup to 7pm. Then it's drinking, talking and Karaoke. I tried having the kids throw around some football but they just want to stay in their rooms and use their tablet. While the owner of the farm is working until 7pm, no one else want to do shit..

Ansphn

Bring booze, or go to the local store and buy booze.

Family getaways get so much better when you start drinking at 11 in the morning.
No one drinks except the owner of the farm. He gets off at 7pm. I been trying for years to get these people to take a sip of alcohol or even involved in social activities like bowling.

Last edited:

killatopak

Me and my wife did and have been trying to do since Day 1. We tried bowling = too far, we tried hiking = too hot. The problem is during the day, they don't want to do shit from wakeup to 7pm. Then it's drinking, talking and Karaoke. I tried having the kids throw around some football but they just want to stay in their rooms and use their tablet. While the owner of the farm is working until 7pm, no one else want to do shit..
Hmmm.. if you have some cash to spare or willing to buy stuff you can tempt them with a prize. You don’t even need to do so for the adults. Some small stuff just for the kids to have motivation. If your other relatives have kids as well, they can join. I’m sure the parents will join the fun as well even if only to watch.

Ansphn

Nope no ATV and they don't shoot guns for fun. No one else drinks and I have been trying for years except owner of farm who gets off at 7pm. What they do for entertainment is talking about the same stuff everyday, eat until later that night when they sing Karaoke. They have a pool table but nobody wants to play except the farm owner.

Ansphn

Hmmm.. if you have some cash to spare or willing to buy stuff you can tempt them with a prize. You don’t even need to do so for the adults. Some small stuff just for the kids to have motivation. If your other relatives have kids as well, they can join. I’m sure the parents will join the fun as well even if only to watch.
My wife already gave them money( She does it every year) and then they go back into their individual rooms and use tablet all day. My wife usually do activities and try to do something creative to get everyone in involved but even she gave up already. Now she just sits there talking with them for hours and eat.

Ansphn

Does your wife have any sisters you could hook up with? That might create a bit of excitement.
Yes she actually has 3 sisters. One has her husband here and one is single. We're not into that kind of stuff though. I rather do some social activities like bowling, swimming, walking in parks, dunes and cities, go out to eat and hit up the bar than have sex with my sister in law. My wife is best one. Trust me 😉.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

This is one of the things that sucks about marriage, you get roped in to doing shit with their family that seems like an inescapable obligation. It breeds resentment. Maybe a compromise like every other year you do what you want instead.

1. Be the fun. Instead of complaining start doing. Be the leader who organizes shit and gets a “beer olympics” going. Scavenger hunts. Etc.

2. You could cook. Make weird dishes everyone loves as a tradition. Like spit roast a pig or something unique. While youre at it learn to butcher a chicken. Im sure they can teach you how to pluck and cut the head off atleast.

3. Embrace the suck. Okay. U know its gonna suck next yr since you know what to expect out if these people…. Plan for it. Do your own thing. Fuck everyone else. People dont drink? Pack yourself a handle or 36 pack next time. People dont leave the farm, okay you do a daytrip to explore some towns etc.

4. Do what they do/did for fun. Sounds like theyre in middle of bumfuck nowhere in the south. Which means hicks. Which means guns. Atvs. Trucks. Mudding. Fire. Swamps. Ie. Dangerous stupid fun.

5. Nature shit - go hiking in the woods. Start learning how to forage. Wild plants and mushroom hunting is super rewarding

6. Get your wife to encourage her siblings to do socialize. Ask her why your fam has to make it an annual trip if everyone just stays in their rooms and doesnt interact. Whats the purpose.

7. Fuck a chicken
Super Troopers Shut Up GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Meicyn

Gold Member
You should slaughter a few chickens, then smoke them in a bbq pit. Maybe get a whole hog from a neighboring farm, then slow smoke that. That’s good eatin.

Lasha

You have a mobile device with access to the entire repository of human information yet you can't keep yourself entertained? I think you should spend your isolation learning to love yourself.

Doom85

Haven’t been able to go on a vacation (as in go somewhere, I get off weeks) in four years, but damn, a chicken farm in the middle of nowhere? I guess I should count my blessings.

GeekyDad

Do you live in a small town and do nothing every day? Maybe you're already used to this type of lifestyle. This is usually vacation time for me and for the past 2 year July 4th holiday, I'm in small town Tennessee just sitting in my room. And they want to do this "every" fucking year.
I honestly don't get it. It sounds like it could be a very productive way for you and your family to spend time together. Help out at your in-laws place, which should help endear you to them. Stay active, which is always good. And for me personally, I've never been to a chicken farm, let alone a family owned one. New things like that interest me.

But yeah, I am used to a very active lifestyle, so maybe that has something to do with it. And I'm typically always having to do something my wife and/or kids want to do on my vacation, so I'm used to that too after almost 30 years.

Buck up.

Cyberpunkd

Any of you been through this B.S? Wife and her siblings make a certain destination a yearly tradition meet up spot for her family and you have to go to support wife or it could be just a yearly family reunion. Sitting here bored out of my fucking mind because the destination is a freaking chicken farm. Not ocean, Not fun hot spot ..A freaking farm with absolutely nothing to do nor can we go anywhere because the town has like 100 people and the biggest city is 2 hours away. I can't even play Final Fantasy 16. Just sitting here eating and looking at each other's faces for the next 5 fucking days.
Did you try having sex in the barn already?

Cyberpunkd

Let your wife know that you don't like the trip?

You are not obligated to be miserable. You have rights within the relationship. It is not a one way street.
This is true, however if this is really important to his wife and it is a week per year I would say he can just man up and stomach it. You don't need to voice your displeasure ll the time, sometimes it helps to contextualize things and move on.

I proposed sex in the barn, but reading a book is also a worthy suggestion. Or going for a hike. Or running. Or taking a bike ride. Life doesn't end with video games.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This is true, however if this is really important to his wife and it is a week per year I would say he can just man up and stomach it. You don't need to voice your displeasure ll the time, sometimes it helps to contextualize things and move on.

I proposed sex in the barn, but reading a book is also a worthy suggestion. Or going for a hike. Or running. Or taking a bike ride. Life doesn't end with video games.
Right, but a relationship is a balance of the two. Its give and take in all areas from the top down. I do this, you do that, and then we meet in the middle on this over here.

If you ever find yourself giving far more than you take in your relationship then its time to have a sit down.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Remember that period when couples doing activities and hobbies was the in thing? Well, during that craze my wife came up and suggested we started going to her book club together. My first reaction was to say what, you want me to go to a book club? Do I look like a lesbian to you? Fuck off. Fuck that. I'm not sitting in a room with a bunch of f... talking about books. I can barely read a fuckin menu and you want me to read a whole book? Are you nuts?

But I didn't say any of that because that would have been the wrong thing to do. What I said being all humble and thoughtful like was look honey. I'd only get in the way. I'm not a book guy. It wouldn't be fair on you or your friends.

You can do the same and it's even easier because it's her family. All you gotta do is act like she'd have a better time in chicken hell without you.

Ansphn

Right, but a relationship is a balance of the two. Its give and take in all areas from the top down. I do this, you do that, and then we meet in the middle on this over here.

If you ever find yourself giving far more than you take in your relationship then its time to have a sit down.
This is absolutely true it's a give and take. I was able to talk to my wife last night and convinced her to try to convince everyone else to change the date of the reunion to sometime later in the year when it's less hot so we can actually use July 4th holiday to do something else. Changing the date would also shorten the day of stay from 5 straight days to 2-3. Hopefully she's able to convince them.

Top Bottom