• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Hit With Writers Strike After Talks With AMPTP Fail; Guild Slams Studios For “Gig Economy” Mentality

Yoda

• Streaming Data Transparency: The Companies agree to provide the Guild, subject to a confidentiality agreement, the total number of hours streamed, both domestically and internationally, of self-produced high budget streaming programs (e.g., a Netflix original series). The Guild may share information with the membership in aggregated form.

Wish they'd have pushed for public viewership numbers, feels like they'd benefit more during negotiations for projects if there was raw transparency vs. the NDA "trust me bro I'll supply something" approach.

The term of the agreement is September 25, 2023 through May 1, 2026.

Feels like a loss for the WGA. Studios probably wanna revisit the AI portion of the contract sooner rather than later. If the general downturn in Streaming/Movies continues and writings/actors are taking a larger % of a shrinking pie, I suspect the AI "regulations" in this contract will be gutted.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm curious if the streamers will now disable the "next ep autoplay" feature to reduce total hours streamed, as I'm sure quite a few shows just run in the background and that's now gonna cost the streamers more. Maybe it will just be 15 min of commercials between eps that you could skip if you were actually paying attention.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Correct, quality has been exactly the same the last 100 years. No golden ages or, you know, huge dips in quality.
When was the last "golden age" in your opinion.

I guarantee there were some shitty films in that Era that you have forgotten about or that were lost to time.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Wish they'd have pushed for public viewership numbers, feels like they'd benefit more during negotiations for projects if there was raw transparency vs. the NDA "trust me bro I'll supply something" approach.

Absolutely zero chance the figures won't leak.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Now that they get more money, maybe they get replaced by better writers who are attracted by money

What's definitely going to happen is that the shitty writers who are the favourites of the executives won't be able to hide behind them any more. We may return to something more like the meritocracy we used to have before the streaming wars started.

Netflix aren't going to be able to keep the viewing figures for The Witcher completely off the table, for instance.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
90s had a crap ton of crap in theaters and on TV. Golden Age suggests that majority of content was good or great. That isn't the case. There's never been a majority in ANY AGE that was good or great.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Just look at SOME of the ABSOLUTE CLASSICS we had on the air in good old 1985

Wzfrv5g.jpg
7YsIZv2.jpg
C2jFeQB.jpg
MJz3Kz3.jpg
fnD3IXs.jpg
aXcdB1p.jpg
JBW9Lap.jpg
ER5MTtF.jpg

There was a time when TV was magical and the hits kept a coming. And these were just some of the genre stuff, not even getting into the sitcoms.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What's definitely going to happen is that the shitty writers who are the favourites of the executives won't be able to hide behind them any more. We may return to something more like the meritocracy we used to have before the streaming wars started.

Netflix aren't going to be able to keep the viewing figures for The Witcher completely off the table, for instance.
But show viewership, as an absolute number, doesn't really matter to streamers. So long as the subscriber base is growing (or has stabilized at an acceptible rate and be suckered in by increasing sub fees) it doesn't really matter if they watch ANYTHING. If anything, the heavy watchers cost more money in server use. The streamers can throw pennies at youtubers to drum up feigned "interest" and most 'media' outlets are more than happy to take a few bucks to promote a show guised as a "What you NEED to know about XXX show!!!" puff piece.

So viewership is really about ad sales, and even that is less important for streamers because they can just sell an ad that they can guarantee will run in front of 1 million unique viewers of a specific age or demographic (all data they know about you already) across a dozen different shows. So a streamer just needs enough content that appeals to enough folks to maintain a user base, even if none of it is a smash hit.

Obviously they can't throw 200+ mill at a show watched by 400,000 people for long, but if 50 MILLION people subscribe, then they really just need to STOP them from cancelling.

Meicyn

Gold Member
There was a time when TV was magical and the hits kept a coming. And these were just some of the genre stuff, not even getting into the sitcoms.
No, this is just you enjoying the equivalent of comfort food, because it makes you think about a time when you didn’t have to be an adult. You listed a few shows you really loved, but you’re cherry picking. For every Transformers, you had Go-bots. For every Macguyver, you had Dear John.

You watch reruns of She’s the Sheriff lately?

Wheat to chaff ratio is pretty much the same as it always has been.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No, this is just you enjoying the equivalent of comfort food, because it makes you think about a time when you didn’t have to be an adult. You listed a few shows you really loved, but you’re cherry picking. For every Transformers, you had Go-bots. For every Macguyver, you had Dear John.

You watch reruns of She’s the Sheriff lately?

Wheat to chaff ratio is pretty much the same as it always has been.
FicNhjN.gif

Meicyn

Gold Member
Lmao I need to rewatch Labyrinth and Willow, it’s been awhile. Both are mediocre at best with extremely varied quality with acting performance, but they are strangely charming and I unfairly give them a pass because I watched them at least 173646482826 times as a kid.

Honestly, now that I think about it, the soundtracks for both films do a ton of heavy lifting. James Horner’s triumphant, uplifting music for Willow is iconic and carries scenes.

Sonik

90s had a crap ton of crap in theaters and on TV. Golden Age suggests that majority of content was good or great. That isn't the case. There's never been a majority in ANY AGE that was good or great.

Golden age means there was a lot of great movies and a lot of quality, I'm still discovering diamonds from that era and I've been watching movies for more than 2 decades. Your interpretation of golden age is terrible btw

Toons

Its looking like the actual creatives have fully won this game of chicken. The corporations after previously making a "final offer" have caved.

The next wave of entertainment media is gonna be interesting to say the least but 2024 is gonna be rough times for all of Hollywood most likely.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Glad to hear that they finally got a deal in place that they can live with. Hopefully they change the language up enough to where actors aren't going to get bent over the table by AI.

Overall though, the entire event was a big success for the unions involved. Once again showing why unions are important in the face of faceless corporations that value profit over people.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Crap? Nah, man... shit... I don't want to get into this, but the 90s were the last bastion of creative movies, imo. after 2000s, remakes, remasters, reimagines, etc.
In the 90s... cartoons died. They died in the early 90s(but not completely(spiderman, batman, Xmen, etc) Part of it was CONSERVATIVES being concerned that our children weren't being educated enough... ironic, no? Soon, cartoons were cancelled, more infomercials being shown, more teenage shows like Saved by The Bell (this was one of the few teen shows I grabbed on) And more educational shit, when I just wanted to be entertained after 5 days of shit-school... fast forward to today... most of the shit shown to people is indeed braindead entertainment.

Sonik

Crap? Nah, man... shit... I don't want to get into this, but the 90s were the last bastion of creative movies, imo. after 2000s, remakes, remasters, reimagines, etc.
In the 90s... cartoons died. They died in the early 90s(but not completely(spiderman, batman, Xmen, etc) Part of it was CONSERVATIVES being concerned that our children weren't being educated enough... ironic, no? Soon, cartoons were cancelled, more infomercials being shown, more teenage shows like Saved by The Bell (this was one of the few teen shows I grabbed on) And more educational shit, when I just wanted to be entertained after 5 days of shit-school... fast forward to today... most of the shit shown to people is indeed braindead entertainment.

I've always supported an ideology I won't get into but I've realized now that the only political groups I truly hate are moralist authoritarian morons who try to enforce their idiotic narratives (and they're always idiotic coming from them) onto society which is why I hated conservatives in the 90's and 00's and I hate woketards now who imo have done way, WAY more damage to entertainment and society in general than 90's conservatives ever even dreamed to do. I still remember the Dixie Chicks controversy and thinking "wow can anyone do as much damage to free speech as these conservative fucks?". I had no idea...

Top Bottom