• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood actors guild to seek strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's ok, 3D actors are getting more convincing every year. Give them some advanced AI to simulate better acting and we're set.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Has the 5th season of Lost wrapped yet?

I'm kind of wondering how this will affect 24 as well, since the whole reason we had to wait 2 years for a new season is because the writer's strike messed things up last year.

Don't get me wrong, in the end I really do think that everyone should get their fair share... I just kind of hoped all of this striking stuff was over.

Raistlin

Given the current financial situation in most of the world ... they may want to hold off on this.

I suspect they won't be getting much good-will from most people.

Thomper

Baron Aloha said:
Has the 5th season of Lost wrapped yet?

I'm kind of wondering how this will affect 24 as well, since the whole reason we had to wait 2 years for a new season is because the writer's strike messed things up last year.

Don't get me wrong, in the end I really do think that everyone should get their fair share... I just kind of hoped all of this striking stuff was over.
Based on reports, they seem to be taping episode 9 of this season of Lost right now. The complete season should be 17 episodes, starts at the end of January, so depending on the timeline and how fast they're filming... Lost shouldn't be troubled too much.

Feep said:
Interestingly, I talked to my active-SAG-member acting professor today and he stated he severely doubted they were going to strike based on internal memorandums and whatnot. At least, not immediately.

I'll believe him when I...uh...don't see it. = (

They'll probably come to an interim agreement to keep things as is and wait a year, I bet.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Actors are underpaid.

No seriously, see they have these life threatening jobs, and they work so hard so hard to make rent, and put food on their children's plates.

They really need this strike.

Give me a fucking break.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Don't get paid enough at your job? Get another job...it sucks but thats life!
But ill support them! ...as long as my espn/sports game stay the same since I dont watch any new tv shows anymore besides philly.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
c2morg said:
Hate the Film Actors Guild So much

If this fucks with the new season of 24 even slightly ill kill em all

You're so fucking clever. Why haven't you joined the WGA, with all that cleverness?

The deal the writers had to settle for was shit, the producers are already reneging on it, and they've refused to make even a single concession in four months of negotiations -- so I certainly don't blame SAG for wanting more.

At the same time: strategically speaking, I'm not sure this is a great idea. We saw how well big media got through the Writer's Strike (pretty decently) and now SAG is stuck with the lousy deal the DGA and WGA already signed off on as pressure. It seems to me like it'd be much better to sign on, ride low until the next contract period begins, and then enter negotiations to get all three guilds to strike at the same time -- hopefully after the recession has lightened.

BTW, this thread is a perfect illustration of why people get fucked over so hard by their employers in this country. All the big media bosses have to do is say "yeah, but we refuse to negotiate or budge on any of our conditions, even though they would make it impossible for your people to support themselves in the future" and everyone calls the union greedy and tells them they should settle for whatever scraps they've already got. :lol

Why the anti-union sentiment?

"omg, they want to be paid for new media the same percentage of profits as they're paid for traditional media. GET A NEW JOB, PUNKS"

The writers ran into the same thing, and eventually gave in and gave up. But it's a reflection of how completely retarded the populace (yes, you in this topic complaining about the SAG included) are that big media has as much power as it does.

Again, this isn't about the Will Smiths of the world who really don't benefit by belonging to any union because they have so much star power. It's about everybody else who's just trying to make a living.

(but I doubt they strike... not right now, with a genuine recession setting in.)

Matt_C

What ever happened to the days when actors are employed by studios and not by using third party agents and/or work to hire? Like acting troupes of yore? There are some creative actors out there who volunteer at local theaters and participate in the community but the vast majority of television/film performers are based in three large cities New York, Los Angeles, and Toronto. Not to mention the rising tide of third and second generation of performers and using recruited models instead of college trained and/or local theater talent. Forget SAG, why not have an NCAA of thespians or better organized local theater troupes?

Better yet, why not have non union actors work on non-studio properties and help contribute content online. I doubt the 1up staffers have to pay screen acting union dues or a lot of people working on non-union DVD/Internet films. I do not want those unions to try to influence what is being done online. Forget residuals, why not have a 401k fund so if the studio is earning money, the 401k also grows.

Why not create the 21st century version of United Artists, as in actor owned and managed film studio. Create a motion picture, arrange a deal with Apple or Google and forget the major studios and/or 'film festivals'.

Labor unions are so 1900s and let Hollywood learn a thing or two about the Doujin scene.

Do whatever the fuck you want in the summer, but let the spring go by cleanly dammit. BSG and LOST new seasons then I don't care what you do.

Foil

Smiling Bandit said:
The Film Actors Guild?

actorsguild.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom