• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

holy shit, I know what I'm doing on Saturday: Dressing as a zombie! Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCKLES

being watched
Practise that blank faced devoid of life feel by reading the Fall Nintendo release shedule beforehand.

FnordChan

I recently attended a revival showing of Zombie and, sweet Jesus, did it ever kick ass. One of the guys organizing the event told a great anecdote about a theatre in Charlotte, NC that spent an entire summer showing the same three films when they were released: The Empire Strikes Back, Nine to Five, and Zombie. Why bother with other flicks when people kept going to see those?

zombie.jpg

Freakin' awesome.

FnordChan

Ecrofirt

Anyone know of any good places with guides to looking like a zombie?

I've been looknig through google, and haven't come up with much that's worthwhile.

evil ways

Ecrofirt said:
Anyone know of any good places with guides to looking like a zombie?

I've been looknig through google, and haven't come up with much that's worthwhile.

The Living Impaired (Zombie): A really simple costume. Buy white and black face paint. Paint your whole face white, and then blacken your cheek bones and around your eyes.
Dress in all black. Using black, white, or green hair dye is a great effect, along with some fake blood to splatter around. Make your own fake blood with just a cup of corn syrup, a tablespoon of water, and red food coloring (add a little yellow and blue to make the right shade). Mix it until its the right consistency. It looks so real.

Ok. get a pot of loose soil, (fresh dry and fluffy is best) put on a pair of pants and a shirt that you don't care about and shred the legs a bit, tear the bottoms right off (just over your ankles) and make them look nice and ragged, same for the sleeves. Button the shirt up, but do it one button off (put the top button the second to top hole) gives you that slanted shoulder look.

use the blood recipie above and make it kinda dark, reddish brown color, stain the shirt with it (white is preferable) tear a couple of holes in the shirt and in those area's rub the fresh dirt and the blood mixture together. a little spirit gum on the flesh will hold some of the dirt in place (but watch out for your hair, i'd suggest shaving any area you want to put spirit gum)

for your face, and hands (any exposed skin, which is why it's good to have long clothes - less makeup needed) get some green halloween makeup, the kind that comes in a little circular container like blush, not that tube stuff. apply it lightly to your face until you have a slightly green palor, and then add some blood and dirt to your face (lightly applied) to give you that fresh from the grave look. If you want to get into detail, get some grey to go with the green.

black make up under the eyes to give your sockets that sunken look. (don't lay it on too thick) do your eyelids too. and apply all makeup before you do the blood/dirt.

if you have dark hair, take some flour and hair gel. put gel in your hair, just enough to make it dryish, but sticky and pour flour into it. This could work with light hair too, but i've never tried it.

Add more dirt and maybe a couple of splotches of blood to the hair.

Shoes.. well, that's easy enough, just get an old pair of shoes Old nice shoes go best with the shirt/pants. I would also suggest a tie, torn off about halfway down on the LARGE side, but leave the small piece behind intact.

Tie it up properly, then cut/shred the fat part halfway down. then, loosen the tie from around your neck so that you have about 3-4 inches between the noose and your throat.

I think you can survive with that. :)

Good luck.

Ecrofirt

nice ideas.

I'm also looking into maybe having some intestines spilling out or something. Any ideas there?

I'd imagine I can use those baloons that people make into animals somehow.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Anyone ever see Zombi 3? That was one of the most unintentional comedies I ever saw. Really. There are a few positive aspects to it, but that's pretty sad that it was the last installment in the series.

evil ways

Ecrofirt said:
nice ideas.

I'm also looking into maybe having some intestines spilling out or something. Any ideas there?

I'd imagine I can use those baloons that people make into animals somehow.

You can take about a pair or 2 of long, white tube socks, fill it with something like paper or cardboard balls in order to give it a bit of volume and weight, then twist the socks a bit to give it a sausage link like look. Take the socks dip them on dark red dye(hair dye could work well) or a dark red blood liquid, until they look like guts or body parts.

Wear a white shirt and cut a whole where your belly is(be sure to stain that area of the shirt with blood too) and let the socks hang out.

evil ways said:
You can take about a pair or 2 of long, white tube socks, fill it with something like paper or cardboard balls in order to give it a bit of volume and weight, then twist the socks a bit to give it a sausage link like look. Take the socks dip them on dark red dye(hair dye could work well) or a dark red blood liquid, until they look like guts or body parts.

Wear a white shirt and cut a whole where your belly is(be sure to stain that area of the shirt with blood too) and let the socks hang out.

Or, go down the supermarket and get one of those bulk packs of sausages for like 3-5 bucks the kind that are all linked together. :)

Ecrofirt

The copy I have on VHS is 'Zombie', as is the shirt that I have.

the shirt is the same thing as the poster, but without the fine print at the bottom.

evil ways

Felidae_Khrall said:
Or, go down the supermarket and get one of those bulk packs of sausages for like 3-5 bucks the kind that are all linked together. :)

Better yet, cause you'll probably get extra points for awful stench and the flies you're going to draw.

The Jello filled balloon sounds like a nice idea, until the balloon breaks and you start spilling red & green jello all over the place. Also Jello loses some of it's consistency when it goes back to room temperature.

Ecrofirt

hmm.

I wonder what would be a good solution.

Maybe women's pantyhoes or somethnig like that? Hmm.

I just don't think tube socks would look very believable at all.

Ecrofirt

I found some really nice guides:

Ghoulish skin: for skin that actually peels and falls off, use any type of peel-off facial mask, found in most drug stores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SIMPLE OLD AGE MAKE-UP
Apply base make-up all over face and neck. "Scrunch" up your face first to emphasize your "natural" wrinkles, and apply make-up that is lighter than your natural skin-tone (work on a small area at a time for best results). Then "de-scrunch" and fill in the creases using a soft brown eye-liner pencil. Create sunken cheeks by darkening the cheek hollows. Emphasize the creases around your nose, and darken along your jaw line. Create crows feet by your eyes. Pucker up your lips to create wrinkles around your mouth. Add liver spots, broken capillaries, etc. Blend everything with a make-up sponge. If you use make-up with a small amount of yellow added, you'll get a more realistic look. Use the same techniques on your hands for more realism. When you are all done, powder all over with baby powder to set make-up and give a dry skin appearance. You can also use baby powder to make your hair look gray.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW TO MAKE FAKE BLOOD
Take some light corn syrup and add a lot of red food coloring until it looks about right. Then add blue food coloring a drop or two at a time to make the color closer to real blood (a little green might help too). If you mix in some peanut butter, the blood will be less likely to stain.

IF YOU WANT SCARS
It's possible to make homemade scar "stuff," but it's much easier to purchase a Halloween scar kit from your local store - they only cost a few bucks and they work fine. Be creative to make the scars look as ugly as possible. Throw in some dry oatmeal to add a gross texture. Be sure to mix in lots of fake blood. To make burn scars add something black (burn a piece of cork, or use wadded up pieces of a wet magazine page).

HOW TO MAKE FAKE INTESTINES
Take a pair of pantyhose and cut off both legs. Use a sewing machine or glue gun to make a seam all the way up the middle of each leg (don't make the seam very even). Cut off unneeded halves and turn the others inside out. Fill with cotton or cut up cotton cloth. Twist at random places and make a few stitches to make them look more realistic. Soak in fake blood and let them hang from torn shirt or zombie costume!

CREATE A GRUESOME BOIL
Get a band-aid about the size of the boil you want. Then, dip some tissue (toilet paper works best) into a mixture of PVA glue and water, and form it onto the band-aid. Make a groove by pushing a pencil about halfway into the tissue. Wait for it to dry and cut around the hardened glue and tissue. Peel the backing of the band-aid off and place it in the desired location. Use makeup to blend it onto your skin.

I really like these ideas. I never would have thought of that intestine idea, and it sounds great.

So what else do you guys think I should add to the costume?

I'll post picspossibly during the week as I make the costume, and definitely when I get back from the event. I can't wait to get zombified.

I wonder what that grand prize is.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Hey, its in scranton? that's pretty friggin awesome.

Ecrofirt

Yup. Up in Scranton, and I can't wait.

I'm starting on my costume today. We're gonig to be doing fake intestines, and hopefully some scars and whatnot.

Ecrofirt

Oh good god, tell me about it.

All it is is dry skin that I could easily fix with a moisturizer, but I'm far too content picking at it to keep it looking zombie-esque.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Willco said:
Yeah, that's the real name, not this fake American name stupid horror fans try to peddle around as authentic!

actually, zombi 2 = zombie in the us

dawn of the dead was known as zombi in Italy (where Fulci is from, also Zombi was Argento's cut of the film)

the beyond is still my favorite fulci movie though

border

Well obviously, the make-up is what makes the costume. In those pictures you just look like a guy with a dirty shirt =P

Ecrofirt

obviously.

Look past that though, and pretend there's a zombie in that shirt and pants. What would make him look better?

edit: for those of you having trouble picturing this on a zombie, i did a real quick Photoshop to help your minds eye.
nom-fake.jpg

DJ_Tet

Banned
FnordChan said:
I recently attended a revival showing of Zombie and, sweet Jesus, did it ever kick ass. One of the guys organizing the event told a great anecdote about a theatre in Charlotte, NC that spent an entire summer showing the same three films when they were released: The Empire Strikes Back, Nine to Five, and Zombie. Why bother with other flicks when people kept going to see those?

zombie.jpg

Freakin' awesome.

FnordChan

Was it the Regency 1-2-3 in Charlotte? Great theatre, last movie I saw there was Tough Guys. It's recently been converted into a disco/country line dancing thingy and a used car lot. For shame...

evil ways

Try to find one of those gag or halloween novelty sets of teeth, you know the ones that look all yellow, dirty and messed up, and when your facial make up is done, put them on, take a gulp of fake blood(make sure it's non toxic) and let it drip off your mouth. It would be easier if it was October, so you could go to Party City and but one of those fake, rubber lopped off arms they sell for Halloween decorations or costumes, and carry it around.

Ecrofirt

Tell me about it. I went to party city yesterday (as they moved locations, and the new building had the opening yesterday morning), and I couldn't find much of anything. I was really hoping for a scar kit and some liquid latex, but I've had no luck.

Ecrofirt

I'm back from the event. I had an awesome time, and I'll be posting pictures soon.

I won a copy of Lucio Fulci's Touch Of Death on DVD, so I'm going to watch that later.

I'll be back soon with pictures!

Ecrofirt

It's picture time!

http://www.nformant.net/zombie/

All the pictures are there.

ones marked pre are before the event, as I'm getting make-up on and stuff
ones marked post are after the event, and some make-up may have worn off
ones marked z- are good shots of sections of the costume (top=top of the costume, etc.)
ones marked zombie are before and after the event, so there will be some make-up changes.

the -big pictures are the full camera resolution, and the non -big pictures are 50% resolution.

Ecrofirt

I'm a bit sad that no one told me my neck wasn't anywhere near as gray as my face. It would have taken me two minutes to fix it.

Ecrofirt

I actually wond the DVD because of the entrails.

The host was like "Oh wow, he's got entrails. I love entrails" when he announced me for the contest. Then when he was giving out prizes, he said "Hey, entrails, I've got a good prize for you. Here's the other DVD we're giving away tonight"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom