• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld remastered free on Epic Games

Hudo

The awesome 'Homeworld' Yes song in the credits was removed. Boo!!
Fuck, man. Probably because licensing. But still crap. Even moreso when you know that Yes actually did that song specifically for Homeworld, because they liked what Relic were doing.

Edit: Also: Get it, folks! It's one of the best RTS games ever made. It's certainly in my top 5 RTS games of all time.
Shame that they never got to remaster Cataclysm/Emergence because they lost the source code (apparently). It's a really interesting take on sci-fi horror in the Homeworld universe.

Last edited:

Red5

I've been playing Homeworld on and off since 1999. The way the ships are designed, the sci fi art, got me into concept art and 3D modelling.

Randy Pitchford maybe a douche, but him reviving this franchise and expanding it might be the only good thing he's ever done.

Last edited:

Hudo

I've been playing Homeworld on and off since 1999. The way the ships are designed, the sci fi art, got me into concept art and 3D modelling.

Randy Pitchford maybe a douche, but him reviving this franchise and expanding might be the only good thing he's ever done.
I also appreciate Gearbox giving BlackBird the time to finish Homeworld 3. It's been in development for quite some time now.

Red5

I also appreciate Gearbox giving BlackBird the time to finish Homeworld 3. It's been in development for quite some time now.

Yep, I'm also hoping they do another ground RTS version similar to Deserts of Kharak or maybe a Space Sim. Homeworld universe is very intriguing and yet criminally under explored.

Dr.D00p

Only Bad thing I have to say about the games is the sudden difficulty brick wall that kicks in with the later missions.

If you have to stop and think about what to do next...game over

Bought this on a Steam sale at some point. I really need to stop doing that as I still haven't played it and now it's free.

Homeworld kicked my ass back 20+ years ago and one of these days I'll be up for the rematch.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Only Bad thing I have to say about the games is the sudden difficulty brick wall that kicks in with the later missions.

If you have to stop and think about what to do next...game over

You have to protect and keep as many units as you can from mission to mission. Resources are truly limited.

Gp1

You can really screw up your campaign if you spend resources in the wrong ships.

Like i said, the secret is the salvage corvettes and a good cover for them to do the work.

The resources are limited but you literally steal an entire armada of enemy ships and even have ships beyond the population cap.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You can really screw up your campaign if you spend resources in the wrong ships.

Like i said, the secret is the salvage corvettes and a good cover for them to do the work.

The resources are limited but you literally steal an entire armada of enemy ships and even have ships beyond the population cap.
I remember having to go back a mission or two on original release and plan better for a mission I was getting killed on.

Red5

Taking over the Turanic Raiders Ion Frigate early helps a lot.

Reactions: Gp1

Davevil

closing-computer.gif

raduque

Ion Cannon Frigate Ball o Death!

Biggest issue is that the remastered original game uses HW2's AI, and it inherits the same endless resources/ships that the HW2 AI uses. It makes some HW1 missions damn near unplayable.

chlorate

Ion Cannon Frigate Ball o Death!

Biggest issue is that the remastered original game uses HW2's AI, and it inherits the same endless resources/ships that the HW2 AI uses. It makes some HW1 missions damn near unplayable.
That sounds like it would utterly ruin the original campaign’s mechanics

Top Bottom