• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the GTA remaster trilogy worth it now?

The GTA games from 3 to SA all came out when I was too young to really care about the story. But I loved GTA4 and want to go back to those old one bc everyone says they're great.

I know the Remastered trilogy got hell when it came out, but I've heard it's maybe gotten better with updates. Is it worth grabbing? I'd much rather play an updated version, but if it's still crappy idk if it's worth it

Draugoth

Gold Member
b965e31db76006de8c12d09d8a87ded4.jpg

they fixed the obvious issues but it's still a piece of shit

Nope

I found the performance and control upgrades a worthy trade off. But you may sneer down your nose when you compare the alterations to the original.

I won’t pretend the PS2 versions are sacrosanct. But the way some things have been altered is definitely weird.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not sure if you can still download the ‘original’ versions on your platform (I realise they’ve had music taken out etc).

I platted Vice City on PS4 about 3 years ago.

Wouldn’t touch these new uncanny valley versions at all. Turned on SA when it was on Game Pass and it’s an absolutely terrible way to present these games.

The ONLY good part of the trilogy is the fact that the controls and better and there's a map for GTA III (I remember there being no map in that game but maybe I'm wrong).

Though I will say, that new mobile port seems to look a lot nicer.

norinrad

The GTA games from 3 to SA all came out when I was too young to really care about the story. But I loved GTA4 and want to go back to those old one bc everyone says they're great.

I know the Remastered trilogy got hell when it came out, but I've heard it's maybe gotten better with updates. Is it worth grabbing? I'd much rather play an updated version, but if it's still crappy idk if it's worth it
The replies are hilarious. But yeah no

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
They’re really not very good. If you want 60fps and decent controls on console they’re the only option now anyway but I bought it for 50% off I think on a sale and have messed around with 3 for a few hours and really have no inkling to go back and complete each game. Maybe one day but some things are best left in the past.

Skifi28

If you're on console, this is the best version of the games by far with improved controls and not particularly bugggy these days. I've finished 3 and Vice City and a had tons of fun with not too many issues. Some of the other changes like the visuals are hit or miss so your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

I believe its coming "free" on phone/tablet through netflix if you have a netflix subscription in a few days.

xrnzaaas

Hell naw, just get your hands on the og versions on PC (preferably with mods) or one of the older consoles (just not the PS4 one, because it already has the butchered soundtrack and it can't be fixed like on PC). The quality of life improvements aren't enough to justify giving Rockstar any money for this piece of shit trilogy.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's a shame they took the original versions off steam. I never had a chance to play San Andreas.

As stated above, play the Original XBox version of the Trilogy.

And if emulators are your thing... make sure to play Vice City and Liberty City Stories on PCSX2 w/ HD Texture Packs and 60 fps unlock.

So I only have a Series X. Doesn't seem like a lot of great options for me. However I still wonder.. are these games worth going back for their story? I'll go above and beyond if I have to to find ways to play them. I'm imagining that's gonna be a "yes" from most people.

No and it enrages me to think about. Does anyone else think Rockstar is pretty much the scum of the earth due to releases like this? It's not so much the incompetence and crappy job the "Grove street games" did here, its that Rockstar and Take 2 shouldve made the necessary changes to fix the thing!

They should've at least fixed the lighting and colors so that the atmosphere of the game is true to the originals! They should at least make sure the god damn shooting/aiming mechanics feel good!

Rockstar of all company's with their money and "reputation" I expected to go above and beyond to fix it but they really are a pos greedy company.

Woggleman

If you can't get your hands on a PS2 at least get the 2015 PS4 versions. Songs are missing but other than that they are pretty solid.

bender

What time is it?
So I only have a Series X. Doesn't seem like a lot of great options for me. However I still wonder.. are these games worth going back for their story? I'll go above and beyond if I have to to find ways to play them. I'm imagining that's gonna be a "yes" from most people.

Let's throw away the remaster for moment which butchers the visuals. The stories in the original trilogy are heavily inspired by classic gangster movies and then run through Rockstar's satire and parody machine. Characters are often one-dimensional caricatures and largely used for comedic effect. It can be a bit sophomoric but it all sort of works as it is cohesive with the environmental storytelling, radio stations and the presentation style. It's why I don't really like GTAIV or GTAV as they lack cohesion. Trying to tell a more serious story always falls a little flat when juxtaposed with all the dick-and-balls jokes littered throughout the rest of each games' presentation. Further, as Rockstar has become better and better at realistic graphics, those one dimensional caricatures just feel out of place. Mechanically, the original trilogy can feel quite dated, especially when it comes to combat but the vehicle physics are still a joy to experiment with and the games are worth playing for the radio stations alone (something I found really lacking in IV and V as well).

radewagon

It's fine. I'm a fan of the series and all, but I don't see the big deal. They turned ugly classic games into ugly remastered games with better performance. Even at release, the originals were janky looking messes with awful controls. It's a shame that so much is auto-generated garbage, but it's also not the big loss people make it out to be.

Get these

hq720.jpg
Nah, they censored several missions with the Cuban mob in Vice City causing some dialogue to be nonsensical. Also, the Xbox version of San Andreas is missing the glorious orange haze filter of PS2 version. It is much better to get the Xbox Double Pack and PS2 copy of San Andreas:

97545373-item-big-XBOX-GTADBPAK-A-1.jpg
product_6573.jpg

P.S. I am slightly disappointed that PS3 Slims and PS4s lost the ability to upscale original PS2 titles.

Last edited:
Let's throw away the remaster for moment which butchers the visuals. The stories in the original trilogy are heavily inspired by classic gangster movies and then run through Rockstar's satire and parody machine. Characters are often one-dimensional caricatures and largely used for comedic effect. It can be a bit sophomoric but it all sort of works as it is cohesive with the environmental storytelling, radio stations and the presentation style. It's why I don't really like GTAIV or GTAV as they lack cohesion. Trying to tell a more serious story always falls a little flat when juxtaposed with all the dick-and-balls jokes littered throughout the rest of each games' presentation. Further, as Rockstar has become better and better at realistic graphics, those one dimensional caricatures just feel out of place. Mechanically, the original trilogy can feel quite dated, especially when it comes to combat but the vehicle physics are still a joy to experiment with and the games are worth playing for the radio stations alone (something I found really lacking in IV and V as well).
Idk man. Your whole post makes it seem as though all the originals have cohesion and the new ones don't. I don't understand that myself. I'd agree with it on V, but IV seemed like the best iteration. Anyway, I want to experience the originals stories and I guess that's what I could potentially get. I guess my point is that IV seemed like the peak. And I want to try the older versions because I'm willing to bet their stories are amazing.

I'm just a bit defensive of IV because it was my favorite and I DID feel it had great cohesion. V missed the mark but I want to try past iterations because I bet they align well

Laptop1991

I wanted to buy and play the def edition, but Grove Street Games did such a poor job on them and Rockstar quite clearly can't be bothered to fix them properly and they still want over 50 quid on their site for it, Rockstar simply doesn't care!, no sale here.

Last edited:

TexMex

I got the plat a few months ago for the VC remaster and have messed around with the other two.

If you’re just looking to experience the stories, they’re perfectly fine. They’re not flawless but they’re leagues better than launch. Yes the best way to play as people are saying is to get a ps2 disc and plug it into a CRT or whatever, but if you don’t want to fuck with that, these are fine alternatives.

bender

What time is it?
Idk man. Your whole post makes it seem as though all the originals have cohesion and the new ones don't. I don't understand that myself. I'd agree with it on V, but IV seemed like the best iteration. Anyway, I want to experience the originals stories and I guess that's what I could potentially get. I guess my point is that IV seemed like the peak. And I want to try the older versions because I'm willing to bet their stories are amazing.

I'm just a bit defensive of IV because it was my favorite and I DID feel it had great cohesion. V missed the mark but I want to try past iterations because I bet they align well

IV is the worst one in my view. The story is so predictable (from your new lady friend being a cop to the final mission taking place on the Statue of Liberty). Nico isn't a bad character but it's hard to like him when he's coming to America for a fresh start and then mowing down rival drug dealers for a guy you met ten minutes ago. The rest of the cast is, outside of maybe Playboy X, is varying levels of annoying. The game obviously pushed for a more realistic presentation and while it was a huge step forward in that regard, it also makes the sophomoric dick-and-ball jokes feel out of place. The tone is just all over the place and that isn't a problem for the originals.

It's a matter of taste, but I couldn't stand the vehicle handling physics. It is the low point radio stations for the series, including a nosedive in quality from Lazlow) and the map is just boring.

IV is the worst one in my view. The story is so predictable (from your new lady friend being a cop to the final mission taking place on the Statue of Liberty). Nico isn't a bad character but it's hard to like him when he's coming to America for a fresh start and then mowing down rival drug dealers for a guy you met ten minutes ago. The rest of the cast is, outside of maybe Playboy X, is varying levels of annoying. The game obviously pushed for a more realistic presentation and while it was a huge step forward in that regard, it also makes the sophomoric dick-and-ball jokes feel out of place. The tone is just all over the place and that isn't a problem for the originals.

It's a matter of taste, but I couldn't stand the vehicle handling physics. It is the low point radio stations for the series, including a nosedive in quality from Lazlow) and the map is just boring.
I think the mission design, cast, and better vehicle handling in Ballad of Gay Tony is on par with older installments. Vice City FM in Episodes of Liberty City version was also a pleasant surprise. Even the original GTA IV had a better soundtrack than III and San Andreas.

P.S. Lazlow was never cool. Couzin Ed in Vice City Stories was a much better Radio personality.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Nah, they censored several missions with the Cuban mob in Vice City causing some dialogue to be nonsensical. Also, the Xbox version of San Andreas is missing the glorious orange haze filter of PS2 version. It is much better to get the Xbox Double Pack and PS2 copy of San Andreas:

97545373-item-big-XBOX-GTADBPAK-A-1.jpg
product_6573.jpg

P.S. I am slightly disappointed that PS3 Slims and PS4s lost the ability to upscale original PS2 titles.
Ps3 slim can do it if modded

Top Bottom