• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hookah GAF |OT| The Thread Of Long Pipes, Thick Smokes and Living Dangerously

Status
Not open for further replies.
283872_10151456140032620_484645207_n.jpg

What is Hookah?

A hookah is a single or multi-stemmed instrument for vaporizing and smoking flavored tobacco called shisha in which the vapor or smoke is passed through a water basin ‒ often glass-based ‒ before inhalation.[1][2][3] Depending on the placement of the coal above the shisha, a hookah can be used to produce smoke by burning the shisha or used to create water vapor by melting it at a lower temperature.

Okay...So where did it originate from?

The origin of the waterpipe is from the time of the Safavid dynasty in the Persian empire which extended into India to where it also spread during that time. The hookah or Argyleh soon reached Egypt and the Levant (Lebanon, Syria, Palestine and Jordan) during the Ottoman dynasty where it became very popular and where the mechanism was later perfected. The word hookah is a derivative of "huqqa", which is what the Arabs called it. Smoking the hookah has gained popularity outside of its native region, and is gaining popularity in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, Southeast Asia, Tanzania and South Africa, largely due to immigrants from the Levant (where it is especially popular) introducing it to the youth.

Components To Make A Hookah

Excluding grommets, a hookah consists of a number of components, four of which are essential for its operation.

Bowl

Also known as the head of the hookah, the bowl is a container, usually made out of clay, marble or glass that holds the coal and tobacco during the smoking session. The bowl is loaded with tobacco then covered in a small piece of perforated aluminum foil or screen typically glass or metal. Lit coals are then placed on top, which allows the tobacco to heat to the proper temperature.

Vortex Bowls

There is also a variation of the head which employs a fruit rather than the traditional clay bowl. The fruit is hollowed out and perforated in order to achieve the same shape and system a clay bowl has, then it is loaded and used in the same manner.
Bowls have evolved in recent years to incorporate new designs that keep juices in the tobacco from running down the stem. The Tangiers Phunnel Bowl and Sahara Smoke Vortex Bowl are two examples of such bowls.

Windscreen

A Hookah Cover windscreen is a cover which sits over the bowl area, with some form of air holes. This prevents wind from increasing the burn rate and temperature of the coal, and prevents ash and burning embers from being blown onto the surrounding environment. This may also offer some limited protection from fire as it may prevent the coal from being ejected if the hookah is bumped.

Hose/Pipe

Technically, if the pipe has a hose, it is not a "hookah", the term historically referred to a straight-neck tube. Today, the hose (one or more) is a slender flexible tube that allows the smoke to be drawn for a distance, cooling down before inhalation. The end is typically fitted with a metal, wooden, or plastic mouthpiece of different shapes, size, color or material type.

Purge valve

Many hookah are equipped with a purge valve connected to the airspace in the water jar to purge stale smoke which has been sitting unused in the jar for too long. This one-way valve is typically a simple ball bearing sitting over a port which seals the port by gravity alone and will open if positive pressure is created by blowing into the hose. The bearing is held captive with a screw-on cover. The cover should be opened and the bearing and seat cleaned of residue and corrosion regularly to ensure proper sealing.

Water jar/Base

The body of the hookah sits on top of the water jar, or sometimes referred to as vase, or base. The downstem hangs down below the level of the water in the jar. Smoke passes through the body and out the downstem where it bubbles through the water. This cools and humidifies the smoke. Liquids such as fruit juice may be added to the water or used in substitution. Pieces of fruit, mint leaves, and crushed ice may be added.

Plate

A plate or ashtray sits just below the bowl to catch ashes falling off the coals.

Grommets

Grommets in a hookah are usually placed between the bowl and the body, the body's gasket and the water jar and between the body and the hose. The grommets, although not essential (the use of paper or tape has become common), will help to seal the joints between the parts, therefore decreasing the amount of air coming in and maximizing the smoke breathed in.

Diffuser

A piece attached to the bottom of the stem, usually made of plastic and in a grid pattern, to make a smoother smoke and a subdued noise. By breaking the naturally larger bubbles coming up the water from the pipe into smaller bubbles, it lowers the amount of suction or "pull" needed to continue bringing smoke to the chamber. This also cools the smoke down more efficiently. It is used as a luxury item used for a better smoking experience and is not a required component.

Parts In A Nutshell

Flavours

There are a lot of variety available as flavours, ranging from fruits to different flavoured tobaccos. Here's a list of some of the flavours:

Apple
Bubblegum
Starbuzz Sex On the Beach
Blue Mix
Silver Fox
Mint
Kiwi
Code 69
Pan Rasna
Strawberry
Double Apple Mint
Grape
Double Mint
Brain Freezer
Fig
Mango
Rose Berry
Double Apple
Plum
Cherry
Watermelon and Mint
Pear
Starbuzz Blue Mist
Mint Chocolate Chip
Night Queen
X On the Beach
Supari
Play Boy
Blue Berry
Queen of Sex
Summer 69
Energy Drink
Fire N Ice
Spring Water
Pirates Cave
Pan Masala Strawberry
Black Berry
Red Dragon

Health Effects
Google it

-------------------------------------------------
As an avid hookah smoker, I tried finding any OT regarding hookahs on GAF to share experiences, unable to find one, decided to make one myself. So share away your experiences, favourite mixtures and flavours and whatever you want to regarding hookah. If I've missed anything then feel free to let me know and I'll add it to the OP.

This is my first OT on GAF, so if I've missed anything regarding the guidelines to make OTs, do let me know.

obin_gam

I just want to say - everyone must try coconut tobacco.
It is like floating ice in your mouth. It's fantastic.

nynt9

I haven't had any in a while, my building doesn't allow smoking, and there aren't any places nearby. I've seen electronic hookahs but I don't know if they not generate smoke, some are also nicotine free and are supposedly healthy? Anyone got any info on this?

LNBL

From my own experiences i know that the Hookah has many names as well:
-Shisha (more used in Europe)
-Nargile (Turkey)

And we call it Argile in Lebanon, though here in The Netherlands it is commonly named Shisha.

Arjen

I've got one, pretty simple with one hose. Really relaxing to use once in while. My sister boyfriend has a bunch of friends from the Iraq who suply him with great tobaco, and i get some from him. Apple is still my favourite.

Kopite

Shisha here, lots of uni/college students love it. Been invited to try it a few times but I'm not too fond of the health effects. Might still give it a go though someday.

From my own experiences i know that the Hookah has many names as well:
-Shisha (more used in Europe)
-Nargile (Turkey)

And we call it Argile in Lebanon, though here in The Netherlands it is commonly named Shisha.

That was the term I learnt it by here in Australia. The dude who introduced us to it was Indian though.

Good times! Was always a nice night hanging out in a group around the shisha, incredibly relaxing.

The base contents also play an important role in making or breaking a flavour.

Water is the most common choice, although I've tried a variety of bases including; Pepsi + Redbull combo, orange juice, blue cocktail etc

Corpsepyre

Banned
LOVE this thread! Been a shisha (that's what it's called here) smoker for a few years now. Nearly everyone I know started earlier, but I got into it only in 2011. Favourite flavours, initially, were Al-Fakher obviously. Mint, grape, lemon and orange are all excellent. Lately, I've been getting into Al-Waha and Starbazz (Starbuzz, but localized). Has anyone here tried Kulfa flavour? It's this local sweet dish here in Pakistan, and the flavour they've made out of it is brilliant. Highly recommended!

Corpsepyre

Banned

Water is the most common choice, although I've tried a variety of bases including; Pepsi + Redbull combo, orange juice, blue cocktail etc

I wholeheartedly agree. Making a great, even good, shisha, is an art. Can easily go wrong if one is not careful. Speaking of the base, I had a question. how many inches do you submerge the tip in the fluid? Some say an inch works, but for me it usually goes a bit over and above that. Does it even matter?

Arjen

I tried weed instead of tobaco, and vodka instead of water.
Not my best idea.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I tried weed instead of tobaco, and vodka instead of water.
Not my best idea.

Well, you CAN mix a bit of alcohol with water, but water is necessary for a smooth session. Using simple vodka or any other alcohol is a waste of good alcohol.

I wholeheartedly agree. Making a great, even good, shisha, is an art. Can easily go wrong if one is not careful. Speaking of the base, I had a question. how many inches do you submerge the tip in the fluid? Some say an inch works, but for me it usually goes a bit over and above that. Does it even matter?

It depends on the size of the base and the size of the stem and also how filled the base is with the contents. Usually submerging around one and a half inch with space enough between the bottom of the base and the tip is good enough. The tip has to be submerged in the water in a way that it doesn't have any space open for air, inside the base.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It depends on the size of the base and the size of the stem and also how filled the base is with the contents. Usually submerging around one and a half inch with space enough between the bottom of the base and the tip is good enough. The tip has to be submerged in the water in a way that it doesn't have any space open for air, inside the base.

Great. Thanks! I just started making my own shisha at home since the damn thing got banned in Pakistan some months back. Used Youtube, and in the end started having pretty good sessions, but can always improve.

Great. Thanks! I just started making my own shisha at home since the damn thing got banned in Pakistan some months back. Used Youtube, and in the end started having pretty good sessions, but can always improve.

Making a shisha isn't hard, you just need to have the right amount of content in the base according to its size and the right amount of flavour depending on the bowl.

One tip I can give you is that after filling the bowl/head with the flavour and after applying an aluminium foil (or anything else you use to cover it), shake it by holding it from the bottom. This way even if the flavour is stuffed randomly, it will even out and won't block the bowl's passage at the bottom.

7aged

It's called Hookah/Shisha/Sheesha here in KSA. I decided to go with Hookah as I find it to be the formal name.

Never heard anyone call it "hookah" in Saudi. You commonly hear Shisha or Me'assil (for the small girlie ones).

Real men kill their lungs with a proper JURAK shisha.

AvXrbDNCQAErV7j.jpg:large

Never heard anyone call it "hookah" in Saudi. You commonly hear Shisha or Me'assil (for the small girlie ones).

Real men kill their lungs with a proper JURAK shisha.

AvXrbDNCQAErV7j.jpg:large

I went with hookah because of it being formal IMO. Yes, it's commonly called Shisha here in KSA as well.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Making a shisha isn't hard, you just need to have the right amount of content in the base according to its size and the right amount of flavour depending on the bowl.

One tip I can give you is that after filling the bowl/head with the flavour and after applying an aluminium foil (or anything else you use to cover it), shake it by holding it from the bottom. This way even if the flavour is stuffed randomly, it will even out and won't block the bowl's passage at the bottom.

What I normally do is that I end up using a long, thin needle to clean the passages from below the bowl. Since I use an Egyptian bowl, the holes get blocked quite easily, but using a needle to clear them after filling it up with flavour works.

Which coals would you recommend? I was using these Japanese natural coals with silver coatings, but have now transitioned to Excelsior instant swift-lite coals.

Foaloal

We call them hookahs here in Canada, shisha is strictly the stuff you typically put in the bowl, at least within the native English community.

I don't really like tobacco/nicotine, but I like to try different flavors of non-tobacco shisha, I think it's usually made with tea leaves or something. Am I still legit enough?

If I'm going to use a hookah, using the coals to vaporize is the only way to go. It makes for a very smooth vapor with the tea leaf based stuff, and I've become really good at blowing smoke rings using a hookah. Definitely the best at it in my group of friends.

Saya

Love shisha. I regurlary visit shisha cafe's in Jakarta. Love to hangout and smoke some shisha. I just bought a small shisha too (30 cm) with steam stones. Tried it once and the flavor and smoke was quite good for its size.

7aged

We call them hookahs here in Canada, shisha is strictly the stuff you typically put in the bowl, at least within the native English community.

I don't really like tobacco/nicotine, but I like to try different flavors of non-tobacco shisha, I think it's usually made with tea leaves or something. Am I still legit enough?

If I'm going to use a hookah, using the coals to vaporize is the only way to go. It makes for a very smooth vapor with the tea leaf based stuff, and I've become really good at blowing smoke rings using a hookah. Definitely the best at it in my group of friends.

Hate to break it to you, but the fruity ones are made with tobacco too. Those are tobacco leaves soaked in fruit syrup.

The names of the different types of fillings where I'm from are:

jurak - dark gungy tobacco made with fermented fruit. Very strong. Used only with the tall shisha.
me'assil - fruit tobacco, lot's of different falvours. Used with the small shisha (known as a nargile)
ajami (aka tanbak) - plain tobacco used in a nargile.

Foaloal

Hate to break it to you, but the fruity ones are made with tobacco too. Those are tobacco leaves soaked in fruit syrup.

In smoke shops here they sell specifically tobacco-free "shisha".

The stuff I've bought is like this; http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6320-hookah-hookah-evolution-tea-herbal-shisha-50.html

When I have tobacco/nicotine I don't mind the intended effects, but it usually makes me feel like throwing up. This tobacco free stuff is kind of pointless in that there's no effects to it, but it's still fun when you don't feel like smoking something with substance.

It also tastes great, I imagine it might make decent filler mixed in with traditional shisha.

Which coals would you recommend? I was using these Japanese natural coals with silver coatings, but have now transitioned to Excelsior instant swift-lite coals.

I use fast-lit coals on a normal basis but using the BBQ type coals are the best but getting them to light fast is a different story.

7aged

In smoke shops here they sell specifically tobacco-free "shisha".

The stuff I've bought is like this; http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-6320-hookah-hookah-evolution-tea-herbal-shisha-50.html

When I have tobacco/nicotine I don't mind the intended effects, but it usually makes me feel like throwing up. This tobacco free stuff is kind of pointless in that there's no effects to it, but it's still fun when you don't feel like smoking something with substance.

It also tastes great, I imagine it might make decent filler mixed in with traditional shisha.

Didn't know about these. I stand corrected.

Foaloal

I want a premium hookah with a diffuser, mayne!

Check amazon, they seem to have at least some attachments you should be able to slot in yourself if you've got the right type of hookah.

Also try searching with the word percolator instead of diffuser.

You should be able to find something to fit your needs, although it might take a little bit of looking.

Had a long sheesha session yesterday on an empty stomach. It felt filled at the time only to find I was wrong and then I remembered why it is bad to have sheesha on an empty stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom