• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hookah GAF |OT| The Thread Of Long Pipes, Thick Smokes and Living Dangerously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my girlfriend smoked a cherry flavoured tobacco with one of these on holiday in Tunisia last year. It was absolutely awesome.

Ourobolus

Banned
I bought one a while back to help me curb a separate addiction (I've never really been addicted to nicotine, so it seemed like a decent compromise). Nothing too fancy, just a $30 one off of Amazon that actually has worked really well so far.

Other than a couple accidental burn marks (damn those are annoying), it's been great.

A friend and I used wine instead of water one time a few years ago. It was...really interesting. I enjoyed it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nice to see a thread about this. I smoke hookah frequently, I also have my own.

I find that the size of the hookahs doesn't create more smoke. In fact, I have a medium sized one (one step down from you'd commonly see at a hookah bar) and it produces the most amount of smoke compared to any other size.

Also, OP you missed some very important bits of info. Types of coal: the best and worst. Worst being the self-igniting ones (I would stay away from these), the decent ones being the wood chip coal or the regular coal, and the best being pure carbon coconut shell coal.

Hookah-Coal-Coco-Nara-L.jpg

They take the longest to start up, but they last foooooooooooooorever, they don't break up and ash, and they will never create a burned or harsh taste during your smoke.

Also, my favorite flavor is usually mint or peach.

I have a custom flavor called Fruit Loops: Earl Grey Tea as your water base, Rose and Mint shisha mix (70% rose, 30% mint). It blew our mind when we tried it.

There is a brand that comes in a similar tin can as Starbuzz, but their tins are silver. I can't remember the name...but they have the best shisha money can buy. It's expensive, but absolutely sensational and high quality stuff.

AlphaSnake

Tonic! That's the one. Just did a search. Here's their logo. BEST Shisha, but it is pricey.

TonicShishaLemon.jpg

Ourobolus

Banned
Hookah-Coal-Coco-Nara-L.jpg

They take the longest to start up, but they last foooooooooooooorever, they don't break up and ash, and they will never create a burned or harsh taste during your smoke.

God these are really annoying. Yeah, they last for a long time, but by the time my stovetop actually gets them going I'm almost over the urge to hookah.

MaestroKnux

God these are really annoying. Yeah, they last for a long time, but by the time my stovetop actually gets them going I'm almost over the urge to hookah.
Same, it's why I've been using quicklights because I hate waiting for these things to heat up. Especially if you want another round later.

I haven't smoke a hookah in years. My friends and I would smoke for hours every night, some of the best times of my life.

Rose flavor was always one of my favorites. Also I highly recommend getting an Ice Chamber if your hookah is compatible, it make the smoke so much thicker.

AlphaSnake

It takes about 30 seconds on a gas stovetop to get them to start, and then the heat spreads out.

Or get a butane torch. Best thing to do is start one coal in full, put it on the bowl and put another non-lit coal on top of it and let the heat start the other coal.

Honestly, once you start one, the others only need the other coal to ignite themselves.

MaestroKnux

It takes about 30 seconds on a gas stovetop to get them to start, and then the heat spreads out.

Or get a butane torch. Best thing to do is start one coal in full, put it on the bowl and put another non-lit coal on top of it and let the heat start the other coal.

Honestly, once you start one, the others only need the other coal to ignite themselves.

So you're saying that I can use my propane torch to light it up in 30 seconds and let the air take over to heat? if so I'm trying this tonight!

Also, OP you missed some very important bits of info. Types of coal: the best and worst. Worst being the self-igniting ones (I would stay away from these), the decent ones being the wood chip coal or the regular coal, and the best being pure carbon coconut shell coal.

Yup, coals make or break the whole foundation of a great shisha...

Reason why I use quicklit ones is because of the time. I smoke shisha outside only and given how we friends gather late at night and in the morning everyone has to jump in for work, we try to get as much shisha time as possible hence going for the quicklit ones. I'm not in favour of those as well and completely hate the ash they turn into...

I like using BBQ charcoals whenever the opportunity arises...If the butane torch is lighting the coals up in just 30secs then I'm buying a butane torch!

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
Yup, coals make or break the whole foundation of a great shisha...

Reason why I use quicklit ones is because of the time. I smoke shisha outside only and given how we friends gather late at night and in the morning everyone has to jump in for work, we try to get as much shisha time as possible hence going for the quicklit ones. I'm not in favour of those as well and completely hate the ash they turn into...

I like using BBQ charcoals whenever the opportunity arises...If the butane torch is lighting the coals up in just 30secs then I'm buying a butane torch!

That is pretty much how I feel about it as well.

In Kuwait they sell these electric-based coal heaters (just a simple electric heater that is deep and you can chuck the coals in there).

Takes about 15 minutes to get the coals red-hot but they are great.

AlphaSnake

So you're saying that I can use my propane torch to light it up in 30 seconds and let the air take over to heat? if so I'm trying this tonight!

Propane probably not. Gas stove definitely. Just light one up fully and use it to light the others by resting them on the lit one.

nynt9

Just got this. It's not as good as the real thing, but it's a decent substitute considering I live in a non-smoking building.

mlWJ5D4.jpg

Just got this. It's not as good as the real thing, but it's a decent substitute considering I live in a non-smoking building.

Is that one of those e-cigs? I tried an e-cig once. Never again...

But seeing how you live in a non-smoking building, it may suffice.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm moving into an apartment with a balcony in a month and will finally get to break my hookah out of storage. Current place has dedicated areas for smoking, so even the apartments that have balconies aren't supposed to smoke. It's something they actually enforce, too.

I miss Twisted Branch. Used to go there nearly every night they were open and hang out until closing. There are no good hookah lounges where I'm at now. They're just dingy, smelly bars for people not old enough to go to the real thing.

Corpsepyre

Banned
HookahGAF, need recommendations on some good fruity combinations that I can make. Base and flavour both. Will be appreciated.

nawz

Banned
563341_10151453811775246_1613325064_n.jpg

Me smoking shisha in the car ;)

644551_10153628086655246_1257611276_n.jpg

There's only one way to smoke. My way.

HookahGAF, need recommendations on some good fruity combinations that I can make. Base and flavour both. Will be appreciated.

1/5 Pomegranate, 3/5 Peach and 1/5 Mint.

2/5 Watermelon, 2/5 Grapefruit and 1/5 Mint.

If you live in London and want to go smoke shisha PM me. We'll hookah up...

Got a new sheesha <3

1623540_10152010167737620_451533921_n.jpg

3 pipes can be hooked up in the stem for simultaneous smoking session for...3 people :D

Now no more passing the pipe, it's now bring your own pipe or BYOP

Qasiel

Subbed.

Great OT! My hookah is currently boxed up for when I move in about a month or so, but I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can.

I first got into smoking shisha when I went on holiday to Turkey with my girlfriend and her family a couple of years ago and like it so much that her parents brought me my hookah, along with tobacco and coals, back from Turkey with them and I've been loving it ever since.

I think I found a good mixture of flavour...

Surprisingly soothing and good at the same time, a 3-layer style flavour.

Bottom Layer: Double Apple
Middle Layer: French Grapes with a touch of Mint
Top Layer: Double Apple

The middle layer when being mixed with double apple is creating a good, tingly taste

PirateKing

Bought myself two sick Shisha machines two days ago. An ice one and a small shisha. Smoked that shit up with a few friends last night. Top stuff but I need to get good flavour soon.

Banglish

It's alive, it's aaaliiive. I'm glad this thread is resurrected.
Bought me a small Sahara, getting the job done so far. Having some issues though, getting harshness maybe 20 minutes in. I'm adjusting the coals every so often, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I have a vortex bowl, anything I need to do differently with it? I had more consistent smokes with my old traditional bowl (which I don't have any more -_-)

PirateKing

Bought me a small Sahara, getting the job done so far. Having some issues though, getting harshness maybe 20 minutes in. I'm adjusting the coals every so often, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I have a vortex bowl, anything I need to do differently with it? I had more consistent smokes with my old traditional bowl (which I don't have any more -_-)

Hmm i gotta see it in person. Could be cuz it's new and it needs to be used a few more times before it gets it going. Don't put more than 3 coals.
Are you using apple as fresh head? Hoe do you put the flavours in? Also, make sure the water is not too much or too little.

Got a vortex bowl myself and haven't experienced any harshness whatsoever atm.

I'm using it with a windscreen, my coals are usually at the edge of the bowl.

I fill up the flavour enough to leave just a teensy little space at the top and after wrapping up the alfoil, I shake the bowl so that the flavour gets adjusted and mixed.

Try taking off the coals, taking off the bowl and blowing the smoke out of the bottom end until there's no more smoke coming out of the top and then shake the bowl to get the flavour adjusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom